• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
First pass at the first level boss for my NES aesthetic shmup.

bossa.png
Looks amazing! I tried pixel art with nes limitations but stopped when I understood how difficult it was..

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Hello, happy new year. I continue to try more robots with this new "robot leg v0.1".

I had hard time thinking of something, legs were kind of obvious after caterpillars and propellers.
I don't know it's specialization yet, maybe transport of small stocks or security.

190105050957780833.png

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh so here's where all you communists went :)

I think I want to make a project I'll actually bloody finish. A small one. I guess I'm tossing up between a shmup and a ski free clone. (Maybe both, but I should finish one and then use that to develop the other I think).

Any ideas which one to pursue? There's probably more resources for the shmup.

Astrael

Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

I think I want to make a project I'll actually bloody finish. A small one. I guess I'm tossing up between a shmup and a ski free clone. (Maybe both, but I should finish one and then use that to develop the other I think).

My personal bias is for a shmup, I can't resist a good one. :>

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Gave the Inmate enemy in my game the ability to throw their bats at you and then pick them back up to reuse. It was fun getting this to work, the thrown bat acts as a dead body and the Inmate 'resurrects' the bat back to health and it is then added to their inventory to be used again.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Hello, here is the v0.2 of my "robot leg" and its new sibling "robot wing". My character is here to show the scale of these average robots.
190106034723978696.jpg

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017

How about a SkiFree shoot 'em up? I'm sure many would like to blast that Abominable Snow Monster to pieces.

SkiFree is written in C, so it could be a good opportunity to write something in C18 if you have yet to familiarize yourself with that release.

abom_hv8i2k.gif

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man I spent 15 years updating the Hamtaro MMORPG I made. No one seems to appreciate it though. I kept waking up with huge ideas and adding them to the game. Spent two weeks adding laser tag in it and a month coming up with the stats in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (I still keep updating the formulas though) and there's five different types of critical hits (the more Luck you put into your character, you unlock more critical hits and higher chances to land them.) I woke up thinking about having it so players can make CDs with music on their computer and drop it or trade or sell it with in-game Sunflower Seeds with other players, and I spent awhile adding that feature to the game.

No one really plays it though. I keep saying that its a game where you can turn Super Saiyajin Hamtaro, and online Hamtaro and Bijou players can perform the fusion dance to become Super Saiyajin Bijaro and fight enemies such as Super Saiyajin Hamster, and there's transformations such as Hyper (which I ripped-off from Sonic) or if you feel emo and dark and moody then you can use the Shadow transformation, but people online just make fun of me and say that I'm "worst than Chris-chan" and they get mad that I don't watch 20+ minute long videos about Chris-chan that they say I need to watch to know why people make fun of me for making a lot of Hamtaro fangames, but I don't want to watch a video of people invading some guy's private life.

These are some of the features in the game: https://hamhamrivals.manakeep.com/features

Now I wanna make an original online game called "Hamster Rivals" where players make their own hamster character and build their own clubhouses (like you already can in the Hamtaro MMORPG that I've been updating for 15 years) but I need a talented pixel artist.

I'm working on a chatbot in Unity called "Talk to a Hamster" where you talk to a hamster if you feel depressed, anxious, or lonely and it will try to cheer you up.

I have a question :O I wonder if I could make a Nintendo Switch version of "Talk to a Hamster?" I saw some visual novel, mystic messenger type of games on Nintendo Switch's shop where it seems like you just talk to NPCs on a virtual cellphone. It made me wonder if I could make my "Talk to a Hamster" chatbot app be a Nintendo Switch digital release as well. I was gonna message the guy on Twitter that handles indie games at Nintendo about it, but I don't know his Twitter account and I'm so bad with search engines that I wasn't able to find it (but I may try again later.)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Man I spent 15 years updating the Hamtaro MMORPG I made. No one seems to appreciate it though. I kept waking up with huge ideas and adding them to the game. Spent two weeks adding laser tag in it and a month coming up with the stats in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (I still keep updating the formulas though) and there's five different types of critical hits (the more Luck you put into your character, you unlock more critical hits and higher chances to land them.) I woke up thinking about having it so players can make CDs with music on their computer and drop it or trade or sell it with in-game Sunflower Seeds with other players, and I spent awhile adding that feature to the game.

No one really plays it though. I keep saying that its a game where you can turn Super Saiyajin Hamtaro, and online Hamtaro and Bijou players can perform the fusion dance to become Super Saiyajin Bijaro and fight enemies such as Super Saiyajin Hamster, and there's transformations such as Hyper (which I ripped-off from Sonic) or if you feel emo and dark and moody then you can use the Shadow transformation, but people online just make fun of me and say that I'm "worst than Chris-chan" and they get mad that I don't watch 20+ minute long videos about Chris-chan that they say I need to watch to know why people make fun of me for making a lot of Hamtaro fangames, but I don't want to watch a video of people invading some guy's private life.

These are some of the features in the game: https://hamhamrivals.manakeep.com/features

Now I wanna make an original online game called "Hamster Rivals" where players make their own hamster character and build their own clubhouses (like you already can in the Hamtaro MMORPG that I've been updating for 15 years) but I need a talented pixel artist.

I'm working on a chatbot in Unity called "Talk to a Hamster" where you talk to a hamster if you feel depressed, anxious, or lonely and it will try to cheer you up.

I have a question :O I wonder if I could make a Nintendo Switch version of "Talk to a Hamster?" I saw some visual novel, mystic messenger type of games on Nintendo Switch's shop where it seems like you just talk to NPCs on a virtual cellphone. It made me wonder if I could make my "Talk to a Hamster" chatbot app be a Nintendo Switch digital release as well. I was gonna message the guy on Twitter that handles indie games at Nintendo about it, but I don't know his Twitter account and I'm so bad with search engines that I wasn't able to find it (but I may try again later.)

Damon Baker was the main guy from Nintendo who worked with indies but I just learned he left like 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure who is currently the guy to go other than standard channels of Nintendo 3rd party relations. MMOs in general are incredibly hard for indie devs (and huge devs) and yours seems incredibly niche.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
How about a SkiFree shoot 'em up? I'm sure many would like to blast that Abominable Snow Monster to pieces.

SkiFree is written in C, so it could be a good opportunity to write something in C18 if you have yet to familiarize yourself with that release.

abom_hv8i2k.gif

yeah that's kind of a later goal. i really should just finish an easy project first lol

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Some good news, the first version of the topic's static banner is done, hopefully it'll be up soon!

While I'm here, here's an explosive update for CnW! Having fun experimenting with mechanics unique to specific levels, should help keep things feeling fresh!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
If you are looking for a private source control for free.

GitHub just went there

https://blog.github.com/2019-01-07-new-year-new-github/

Woohoo, about time.

Any important differences from BitBucket BTW? I've been using that for JAEGER's source-control (and will for the remainder of the project) because they offered a free Private Repository, but I'm curious if GitHub has any decent advantages over it. Other than the obvious one of unlimited private repositories instead of just one.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Woohoo, about time.

Any important differences from BitBucket BTW? I've been using that for JAEGER's source-control (and will for the remainder of the project) because they offered a free Private Repository, but I'm curious if GitHub has any decent advantages over it. Other than the obvious one of unlimited private repositories instead of just one.
I am not a good one to answer because I haven't used BitBucket. But short term, probably no real difference. Long term...due to Microsoft buying them I could see a lot of tools fully integrated with Visual Studio to make life easier. (But that is just a guess.)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
First pass at the first level boss for my NES aesthetic shmup.

bossa.png

This is absolutely lovely and I love the night time palette of both this and the scrolling example later. It reminds me of Blue Shadow, one of my favorite NES games.

This is some stuff I did a while ago. I took another video because the old ones were at lower resolution.
It's not really a game but rather just some visual test. I would like to make a small blog entry about how to do some of the features, but I don't know if there's anything really worth explaining.

Anyone would be interested in reading about how to do something from the video?

This is also super beautiful. I'm not knowledgeable about 3D so I wouldn't know what specifically to ask. :) I'm most impressed by the artistic direction.

Hello, here is the v0.2 of my "robot leg" and its new sibling "robot wing". My character is here to show the scale of these average robots.
190106034723978696.jpg

Oh, these are much smaller than I thought. I assumed they were starship-sized. :)

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, these are much smaller than I thought. I assumed they were starship-sized. :)

Yes, sorry if it is disappointing, I wonder what kind of game you expected after your reference to FTL ?
A strategy game with spaceship could be great for my tome 8, but this isn't the genre of this project which is adventure.

The viewpoint of my cs is from the character showed on this target render,
I think the robots are quite big enough compared to her since they are the average ennemies.

By the way since you asked about twitter last time, I purged a little my old one and can use it to share updates now.
https://twitter.com/sbkodama

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Some good news, the first version of the topic's static banner is done, hopefully it'll be up soon!

While I'm here, here's an explosive update for CnW! Having fun experimenting with mechanics unique to specific levels, should help keep things feeling fresh!

Looking good as usual. I think I have asked this before but how many levels are you aiming for?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, sorry if it is disappointing, I wonder what kind of game you expected after your reference to FTL ?
A strategy game with spaceship could be great for my tome 8, but this isn't the genre of this project which is adventure.

The viewpoint of my cs is from the character showed on this target render,
I think the robots are quite big enough compared to her since they are the average ennemies.

By the way since you asked about twitter last time, I purged a little my old one and can use it to share updates now.
https://twitter.com/sbkodama

I'm not disappointed, hahah, just find it interesting how off my sense of scale was. Indeed, I think I was mentally comparing them to FTL ships, as per my earlier impression. I guess I thought the blue bits were windows and they were mannable, whereas I'm now assuming they're more like cameras, right?

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not disappointed, hahah, just find it interesting how off my sense of scale was. Indeed, I think I was mentally comparing them to FTL ships, as per my earlier impression. I guess I thought the blue bits were windows and they were mannable, whereas I'm now assuming they're more like cameras, right?
Yes the colored glasses are protections for cameras and headlights, I plan to show the state of the robots with the change of this color for something like blue sleep, green work, yellow alert, red danger.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a weird life situation right now and hoping people have some advice or guidance or reassurance or anything because I don't know what to do or how I feel about it.

So I've been considering quitting my job for a variety of reasons. Partly so that I can be a homemaker and keep our (my partner's and mine) house in a state that doesn't look like it was ransacked, as well as saving money by cooking more etc. but also to start working on game dev because deep down I know that I need to dive into something whole-heartedly if I'm going to do it right and I don't think I could focus on making a game if I'm also working a full time job. This would give me the time to learn a lot of skills such as programming and 3d modelling so that in the event that my partner can no longer work I have more skills at my disposal to find better jobs, or potentially a job in game development.

I have always wanted to make games but there's always been something stopping me be it financial stability or life situation or what have you. But right now, my partner and I are pretty comfortable, we own our house and both have steady income. No plans for kids. But there's a chance that my partner won't be able to continue to work down the line (perhaps only a few more years) because of a genetic health condition and so there may come a point where I need to be the sole breadwinner so to speak. As things stand, that would also mean closing the door (potentially forever) on moving into game design/development. With that in mind, the decision of whether or not to try my hand at game development has been weighing on me heavily. While I have done a little programming, I've written some songs, I've done some graphic design and I'm a software tester by trade, none of those skills are anywhere near the level they would need to be for me to get a job at a game dev company (except maybe as a tester but that's not the part of game dev I'm interested in) so at this point it's now or potentially never.

To summise the pros and cons

Pro:
  • Better living situation
  • Building skills
  • No regrets for lack of trying
  • General health improvements from not sitting as much (doing lots of housework interspersed with game dev etc)
  • I have something substantial on my resume with my current job, so getting jobs in future won't be as difficult as if I had no experience.
Cons:
  • 1/3 less household income/No personal income
  • Getting a job is hard and there are no guarantees even with more skills/experience
  • I have a very cushy job right now, flexible hours in a field I enjoy with coworkers I like. It's a lot to give up.
  • Regrets on never trying.
Truthfully I'm leaning towards playing safe and just staying where I am but that's not exactly making me happy, dreams are hard to close the door on. My partner is rightfully apprehensive considering the general risks both for my career and in a worst case scenario where he cannot work but we've only just started talking about this and he's open to the idea if we can hammer down specifics.

I really don't know what to do, and indecision/procrastination is the same as deciding not to follow this dream. Does anyone have anything that could maybe shed a different light on the situation?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm in a weird life situation right now and hoping people have some advice or guidance or reassurance or anything because I don't know what to do or how I feel about it.

So I've been considering quitting my job for a variety of reasons. Partly so that I can be a homemaker and keep our (my partner's and mine) house in a state that doesn't look like it was ransacked, as well as saving money by cooking more etc. but also to start working on game dev because deep down I know that I need to dive into something whole-heartedly if I'm going to do it right and I don't think I could focus on making a game if I'm also working a full time job. This would give me the time to learn a lot of skills such as programming and 3d modelling so that in the event that my partner can no longer work I have more skills at my disposal to find better jobs, or potentially a job in game development.

I have always wanted to make games but there's always been something stopping me be it financial stability or life situation or what have you. But right now, my partner and I are pretty comfortable, we own our house and both have steady income. No plans for kids. But there's a chance that my partner won't be able to continue to work down the line (perhaps only a few more years) because of a genetic health condition and so there may come a point where I need to be the sole breadwinner so to speak. As things stand, that would also mean closing the door (potentially forever) on moving into game design/development. With that in mind, the decision of whether or not to try my hand at game development has been weighing on me heavily. While I have done a little programming, I've written some songs, I've done some graphic design and I'm a software tester by trade, none of those skills are anywhere near the level they would need to be for me to get a job at a game dev company (except maybe as a tester but that's not the part of game dev I'm interested in) so at this point it's now or potentially never.

To summise the pros and cons

Pro:
  • Better living situation
  • Building skills
  • No regrets for lack of trying
  • General health improvements from not sitting as much (doing lots of housework interspersed with game dev etc)
  • I have something substantial on my resume with my current job, so getting jobs in future won't be as difficult as if I had no experience.
Cons:
  • 1/3 less household income/No personal income
  • Getting a job is hard and there are no guarantees even with more skills/experience
  • I have a very cushy job right now, flexible hours in a field I enjoy with coworkers I like. It's a lot to give up.
  • Regrets on never trying.
Truthfully I'm leaning towards playing safe and just staying where I am but that's not exactly making me happy, dreams are hard to close the door on. My partner is rightfully apprehensive considering the general risks both for my career and in a worst case scenario where he cannot work but we've only just started talking about this and he's open to the idea if we can hammer down specifics.

I really don't know what to do, and indecision/procrastination is the same as deciding not to follow this dream. Does anyone have anything that could maybe shed a different light on the situation?

I'm in a similar situation to you, actually. I quit my job two years ago (the company I was working at was pretty much going under and asked for volunteers to leave), and with unemployment benefits I finally dove headfirst into that make-my-own-game dream that was the original motivator for me pursuing a career in software engineering over two decades ago.

It's been exceedingly rewarding but also exceedingly anxiety and insecurity-generating. It kind of comes with the territory of leaving your confort zone, of course. Let me see if I can help you partake in this wonderful experience while minimizing risks.

The first thing you need to know is, making a game is a huge time commitment. It will take far, far more than you think it will. You will aim for your first game to take months, and it will take years. The first thing you need to do is to accept and make peace with this; I would advice you to think twice if you're not mentally prepared for this to happen.

The second is kind of a corollary to that: make your first game as small as conceivably possible. Scope down literally everything, because the game has other ideas and will want to grow in multiple, unexpected directions. They gain a life of their own beyond your original plans or intentions.

Is there any possibility at all that you could work part-time? This is a way to minimize financial risks / impact while testing the waters and seeing if game dev is for you. If you could persuade your current employers to let you work part-time (a tall order, I know) that might be optimal. Alternatively, you can start working on your game on weekends. I know it sounds exhausting, but game development can be really enjoyable and I frankly love it more than playing any game.

I will also recommend something I do to everyone starting out, which is a set of two free online Unity courses from the University of Michigan that are just fantastic. I took them right before starting to make my own game and they made it pretty much smooth sailing (I keep meaning to make this post into a thread, hahah):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/in...-learn-show-and-tell.463/page-38#post-5908836
Consider keeping your job for now whie you take the courses above (especially 1 and 4, as the post recommends). They shouldn't take you more than two months even juggling them with your day job, and will lay the groundwork for potentially many years of game development to come. They will also give you a very strong feeling of whether game development is something you really enjoy or not, especially since you'll be making three different games as you take them.

Anything else you want to know or need help with, please don't hesitate to ask! This is literally what the thread is for. :)

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
*snip* Anything else you want to know or need help with, please don't hesitate to ask! This is literally what the thread is for. :)
Thank you for this ^_^ It's reassurring in itself. Whether or not I quit is definitely something that will be down the line, I definitely plan on sticking with job for a little while yet. To address some of the main points you mentioned:

I had actually already mentally committed to my first game taking over a year, maybe 2. I've been tangentially researching game design as long as I can remember, watching videos like Extra Credits, reading gamasutra etc. I feel like I have a good grasp on just how much bigger it'll be than even I can estimate, even now with that knowledge.

I would definitely be focusing my "first game" on something that I can make rather than trying desperately to learn the skills to make what I want to make. Like most people I have *that one idea* that I want to make into a game one day and I may use it as inspiration to start small projects like a single 3d model or an exercise to learn a particular function but I'm also excited to let whatever I make evolve naturally as I learn things and have the game discover itself as I work on things. I have no idea if I have the mental fortitude... I've never been in a position to have to push myself like that, I've been fairly privileged in life that way. The only way I'll know is if I shoot for it. Ironically enough, one of the main worries/doubts I have is whether I'm using this dream of game dev as an excuse to leave my job because I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by change and the company I work for is changing a lot. (And before it comes up, changing from employed to unemployed would be different because I'd be choosing it, it would be within my control)

Working part-time is definitely something I should look into, I know people at my workplace have done it in the past for some people but I don't know if it would apply to my position. Weekends are a no go, they are literally the only time I have to clean things and do laundry or have a social life/hang out with family/friends. I commute almost 2 hours to and from work each day so I get home, make dinner, play a game or watch something with family and go to bed. Even just having that extra few hours of not traveling would be so valuable.

I guess if I had any question it would be regarding a specific idea I have for a game. Not that I plan on making it any time soon but I just want to get an idea if I've grasped everything that would need to go into it. To really cut it down, I have this idea for a pokemon-esque game with 64 unique critters and you get each one through a unique side quest rather than finding in wild.

I have absolutely no capabilty for 2D art at all so I'd probably do low poly 3D. Would need to make models and animate all the critters, plus player character, NPC's and environments, plus textures.

Have to create, test, balance, test, animate and test the battle system.

World/level/encounter design so that it's fun/challenging

Some sort of progression and an end-goal

Good/seamless tutorial.

Bugfixing.

Writing.

Even at a low low lowball estimate I couldn't imagine a game like this taking fewer than 3-4 years for a solo person. I wouldn't even know where to begin but as an exercise what else is there to think about when it comes to a big lofty project like this?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
An update for today with a little background explanation of the NES limitations for background tiles.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this ^_^ It's reassurring in itself. Whether or not I quit is definitely something that will be down the line, I definitely plan on sticking with job for a little while yet. To address some of the main points you mentioned:

I had actually already mentally committed to my first game taking over a year, maybe 2. I've been tangentially researching game design as long as I can remember, watching videos like Extra Credits, reading gamasutra etc. I feel like I have a good grasp on just how much bigger it'll be than even I can estimate, even now with that knowledge.

I would definitely be focusing my "first game" on something that I can make rather than trying desperately to learn the skills to make what I want to make. Like most people I have *that one idea* that I want to make into a game one day and I may use it as inspiration to start small projects like a single 3d model or an exercise to learn a particular function but I'm also excited to let whatever I make evolve naturally as I learn things and have the game discover itself as I work on things. I have no idea if I have the mental fortitude... I've never been in a position to have to push myself like that, I've been fairly privileged in life that way. The only way I'll know is if I shoot for it. Ironically enough, one of the main worries/doubts I have is whether I'm using this dream of game dev as an excuse to leave my job because I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by change and the company I work for is changing a lot. (And before it comes up, changing from employed to unemployed would be different because I'd be choosing it, it would be within my control)

Working part-time is definitely something I should look into, I know people at my workplace have done it in the past for some people but I don't know if it would apply to my position. Weekends are a no go, they are literally the only time I have to clean things and do laundry or have a social life/hang out with family/friends. I commute almost 2 hours to and from work each day so I get home, make dinner, play a game or watch something with family and go to bed. Even just having that extra few hours of not traveling would be so valuable.

I guess if I had any question it would be regarding a specific idea I have for a game. Not that I plan on making it any time soon but I just want to get an idea if I've grasped everything that would need to go into it. To really cut it down, I have this idea for a pokemon-esque game with 64 unique critters and you get each one through a unique side quest rather than finding in wild.

I have absolutely no capabilty for 2D art at all so I'd probably do low poly 3D. Would need to make models and animate all the critters, plus player character, NPC's and environments, plus textures.

Good/seamless tutorial.

Bugfixing.

Writing.

Even at a low low lowball estimate I couldn't imagine a game like this taking fewer than 3-4 years for a solo person. I wouldn't even know where to begin but as an exercise what else is there to think about when it comes to a big lofty project like this?

In terms of things taking a long time, I find that as I get older the years roll on by faster and faster, and I'm still here but haven't accomplished many of my life goals. But I've lived long enough that I expect to keep on living for many years. I've still got time, and you do too.

So big projects are ok. If you can keep at it, those years will roll on by but when you're done, you'll be left with a realized dream instead of nothing.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Good/seamless tutorial.

Bugfixing.

Writing.

Can you not work on your commute? It it takes 2 hours that would be great place to start.

I am on my second game and I have been working on it halftime for 3 years. But most of that time is in the evening when I would otherwise watch Netflix of play video games. If you can start on your project now and work on it on your spare time you will get a grasp if it will be doable and if it something you want to commit to.

Unfortunately, for all of us indie game devs is very hard to succeed in the current climate . If you want a grasp of the situation I would recommend watching GDC talks on youtube from indiedevs.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot work on commute... How would one even do that?

And yeah, this isn't really about being successful. I just think I would regret not making something before I croak. I do listen to a lot of GDC talks though but could always stand to listen to more. Any recommendations?

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I cannot work on commute... How would one even do that?

And yeah, this isn't really about being successful. I just think I would regret not making something before I croak. I do listen to a lot of GDC talks though but could always stand to listen to more. Any recommendations?
OH sorry I thought you might be able sit down on a train or something then you would have been able to code or draw.

The No More Robots talk are good usually with some good statistics.

If it is not about the money then just go for it I guess..

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

This is some stuff I did a while ago. I took another video because the old ones were at lower resolution.
It's not really a game but rather just some visual test. I would like to make a small blog entry about how to do some of the features, but I don't know if there's anything really worth explaining.

This looks fantastic! Great work.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017

Good/seamless tutorial.

Bugfixing.

Writing.

For me the best is to begin by what you think is the most important in your game and get it fine enough.
For my cs it was the player character, she had 10 years last november haha, in your idea I would begin with some critters, their background and design, maybe even quest already.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Word of warning... I also thought I had a good grasp on how much bigger it would be (especially since I've been a software developer for two decades), and I still failed spectacularly to predict it. I guess what I'm saying is, account for the fact that it's going to take you much more than you imagine, and then account that even with that knowledge, it's still going to take much more than that. :D

I would definitely be focusing my "first game" on something that I can make rather than trying desperately to learn the skills to make what I want to make. Like most people I have *that one idea* that I want to make into a game one day and I may use it as inspiration to start small projects like a single 3d model or an exercise to learn a particular function but I'm also excited to let whatever I make evolve naturally as I learn things and have the game discover itself as I work on things.

That sounds like a really great mindset already, congratulations. Not everyone is willing to go through that process.

I have no idea if I have the mental fortitude... I've never been in a position to have to push myself like that, I've been fairly privileged in life that way. The only way I'll know is if I shoot for it. Ironically enough, one of the main worries/doubts I have is whether I'm using this dream of game dev as an excuse to leave my job because I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by change and the company I work for is changing a lot. (And before it comes up, changing from employed to unemployed would be different because I'd be choosing it, it would be within my control)

I guess nobody can really answer to that but yourself, and the people close to you that know you best, but I go through that "is this really what I should be doing or am I just trying not get a "real" job?". Society, unfortunately, conditions us like that. You will be second-guessing yourself a lot on so many levels during game development, especially if you commit to it full time. This is where the "mental fortitude" thing factors in, and where you will need the most support from friends and family. Be prepared to question yourself "should I be doing this?" (with "this" being anything from a specific system or mechanic or enemy, to game development itself) several times a day; it can be pretty exhausting.

Not related to the above but I forgot to answer to another thing, exercise: householding is not a source of balanced, healthy exercising (quite the opposite in fact), and it's 100% not a substitute for exercising regularly. I personally recommend swimming, as it's complete, relaxing, and you can do it while listening to music (there's good underwater MP3s for less than 30$ nowadays) and thinking about your things. I've done some of my most productive game design while swimming; the endorphins and movement, and isolation from the outside world, really get your creative juices flowing.

Working part-time is definitely something I should look into, I know people at my workplace have done it in the past for some people but I don't know if it would apply to my position.

The very fact that your workplace allows some people to do it is great news. I would definitely try to investigate that avenue at least.

Weekends are a no go, they are literally the only time I have to clean things and do laundry or have a social life/hang out with family/friends. I commute almost 2 hours to and from work each day so I get home, make dinner, play a game or watch something with family and go to bed. Even just having that extra few hours of not traveling would be so valuable.

When you commute, do you do it standing up or sitting down? If you can sit down and bring a laptop, that can be some high quality game dev time with no distractions. And even standing up, you can watch the game development course videos on your phone, tablet or Vita (you won't be able to do the example tutorials, but it will be much quicker to do them later on if you've seen the videos once and can skip around).

I had absolutely no capability for 2D art (or art of any kind) either when I started, but I eventually picked up sprite techniquest that made my sprite art at least functional. E.g.:

If you're already fluent in making 3D models, then sure, go with it. I have the intuition that 2D art is less time consuming but I really know zero about 3D development.

Good/seamless tutorial.

Bugfixing.

Writing.

The very first thing would be to think of what engine you want to use. If you're going to make a solo game in 3D I think Unity would be the best fit. If you were to make it in 2D, perhaps RPG Maker would speed things up considerably, especially if you don't know how to code. Unreal definitely seems like overkill.

The nice thing about your game is that it's perfect for a vertical slice. Make just one of the 64 monsters and its quest, perhaps use only one type of enemy as a placeholder. This will let you put all the systems in place before you commit to creating a ton of content.

Beyond that, an RPG takes quite a lot of world design; you can save a lot of time by using free premade assets, of which there are tons online both 2D and 3D.

An update for today with a little background explanation of the NES limitations for background tiles.

This is absolutely stunning. Quite interesting timing too, as Youtube recently recommended me a video on NES color limitations and tiling.

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
Added some detail, now to start making some textures which I really don't have much of a clue about, but i'll have to do it at some point.
Y9vs1je.png

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a good one to answer because I haven't used BitBucket. But short term, probably no real difference. Long term...due to Microsoft buying them I could see a lot of tools fully integrated with Visual Studio to make life easier. (But that is just a guess.)

There is a really popular open source project for C# that lets you debug into third party libraries that are hosted on GitHub if all you have is the compiled dependency in your project. It's pretty fucking cool. And Microsoft has shown interest in supporting it. I could see them integrating this officially into Visual Studio.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in knowing how you did the toon style visuals. What engine are you using?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This is also super beautiful. I'm not knowledgeable about 3D so I wouldn't know what specifically to ask. :) I'm most impressed by the artistic direction.
Thank you!
This looks fantastic! Great work.
Thanks a lot!
I'm interested in knowing how you did the toon style visuals. What engine are you using?
Thank you! I use UE4 for all the stuff I do at home. The assets and everything else is fairly simple but I might write up something explaining some of the more interesting bits!
I want to finish the scene first, at least.

K Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Over the weekend I put some work into killing the Mothman with your candle/fire.

In the first clip I throw the lit candle which can buy you some time to escape.

vjS8BUi.gif

After a few he will eventually go down... the Mothman stupidly steps on a candle that I left on the floor killing itself

2bS4lTd.gif

Next up I want to expand on the moveset and have at least one more unique ability... probably some sort of dash move that leaves a nice flurry of moths behind it and appearing elsewhere

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning... I also thought I had a good grasp on how much bigger it would be (especially since I've been a software developer for two decades), and I still failed spectacularly to predict it. I guess what I'm saying is, account for the fact that it's going to take you much more than you imagine, and then account that even with that knowledge, it's still going to take much more than that. :D
Firstly, thank you for all of the advice! It's appreciated more than you know and is helping me reason through my own thought process on top of being inherently useful.

To your point, that's exactly what I was saying with that post but perhaps didn't word it the best. "I feel like I have a good grasp on just how much bigger it'll be than even I can estimate, even now with that knowledge." was me trying to say "I know it'll be much bigger than I expect, and even with the knowledge it'll be bigger than expected; it'll be bigger even still"

I guess nobody can really answer to that but yourself, and the people close to you that know you best, but I go through that "is this really what I should be doing or am I just trying not get a "real" job?". Society, unfortunately, conditions us like that. You will be second-guessing yourself a lot on so many levels during game development, especially if you commit to it full time. This is where the "mental fortitude" thing factors in, and where you will need the most support from friends and family. Be prepared to question yourself "should I be doing this?" (with "this" being anything from a specific system or mechanic or enemy, to game development itself) several times a day; it can be pretty exhausting.
I'm constantly exhausted from questioning myself even at my current job so at least I'm used to it. But yeah I know it won't be sunshine and rainbows... I'm prone to bouts of depression and down periods so I'll just work through it like normal.

Not related to the above but I forgot to answer to another thing, exercise: householding is not a source of balanced, healthy exercising (quite the opposite in fact), and it's 100% not a substitute for exercising regularly. I personally recommend swimming, as it's complete, relaxing, and you can do it while listening to music (there's good underwater MP3s for less than 30$ nowadays) and thinking about your things. I've done some of my most productive game design while swimming; the endorphins and movement, and isolation from the outside world, really get your creative juices flowing.
Oh of course not, and I love swimming. I just meant that doing housework on top of regular exercise is better than sitting 7+ hours a day and more often than not not having the time to go exercise. I would actually have more opportunity to swim as my partner's parents live near us and they have a pool and I would be able to visit more often. I am well aware of the joys a good swim can do for the brain, I've had my best ideas swimming, *that one game* idea included. I need to get a good waterproof mp3 though.

The very fact that your workplace allows some people to do it is great news. I would definitely try to investigate that avenue at least. When you commute, do you do it standing up or sitting down? If you can sit down and bring a laptop, that can be some high quality game dev time with no distractions. And even standing up, you can watch the game development course videos on your phone, tablet or Vita (you won't be able to do the example tutorials, but it will be much quicker to do them later on if you've seen the videos once and can skip around).
On paper it seems to be the ideal solution but knowing myself I feel like it would be a half measure and I'd just end up doing poorly at work and at game dev without really benefiting from either. Also, I'm a kinesthetic learner, I really need to be doing a thing to remember it. Watching videos is great for concepts and theories (is why I loved the Extra Credits series but when it comes to anything nitty gritty I need to be at a desk following along to even begin to grok what they're talking about. It sucks. Would pay good money to be able to learn by listening or reading. On top of that, commute varies day to day, and I'm usually still waking up in the morning or too tired after work to make any good use of that time, I can't even focus on playing video games. I usually just listen to music or browse reddit/resetera. Excuses maybe but combined with not really being good at learning through lectures and blogs I just don't see it as a viable substitute, for my own personal experience. That's not from lack of trying either.

I had absolutely no capability for 2D art (or art of any kind) either when I started, but I eventually picked up sprite techniquest that made my sprite art at least functional. E.g.:

If you're already fluent in making 3D models, then sure, go with it. I have the intuition that 2D art is less time consuming but I really know zero about 3D development. The very first thing would be to think of what engine you want to use. If you're going to make a solo game in 3D I think Unity would be the best fit. If you were to make it in 2D, perhaps RPG Maker would speed things up considerably, especially if you don't know how to code. Unreal definitely seems like overkill.

I think it's an aspect of the kinesthetic learning I mentioned before but I've tried many many times to draw or paint or make sprites even but I just don't seem to have the brain for giving a 2d image any sort of depth. I could make a 2d game sure but it would look like ass and I think I'd just be more comfortable with a 3D environment where I can really view a thing and model it out. Plus animation through rigging just seems way easier to me than redrawing the same thing in different poses, I'm awful at it. Even in school art class I was always more prone to sculpture than canvas.

The nice thing about your game is that it's perfect for a vertical slice. Make just one of the 64 monsters and its quest, perhaps use only one type of enemy as a placeholder. This will let you put all the systems in place before you commit to creating a ton of content.

Beyond that, an RPG takes quite a lot of world design; you can save a lot of time by using free premade assets, of which there are tons online both 2D and 3D.
I was thinking the same thing. Make one critter, make a rudimentary battle system involving it, create the quest. Have that be the whole "game" and then see about expanding or innovating from what I learn from that.

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
You could check out Substance Designer: https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer

Saves a lot of time and is quite fun to work with. I haven't used it for fabric creation though.

Yeah I know about it, I just don't wanna commit to learn and pay for it since this isn't really a serious project, I'm just throwing some ideas around.

Over the weekend I put some work into killing the Mothman with your candle/fire.

vjS8BUi.gif

After a few he will eventually go down... the Mothman stupidly steps on a candle that I left on the floor killing itself

2bS4lTd.gif

Next up I want to expand on the moveset and have at least one more unique ability... probably some sort of dash move that leaves a nice flurry of moths behind it and appearing elsewhere

That looks awesome, keep it up.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know about it, I just don't wanna commit to learn and pay for it since this isn't really a serious project, I'm just throwing some ideas around.

I would highly recommend that you give the Allegorithmic tools a chance, they will allow you to take your material game to another level and make some great learnings in the process.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

vjS8BUi.gif

2bS4lTd.gif

I think this is the first time I've seen Mothman interpreted as an actual swarm of moths (as opposed to a human / moth hybrid), this is super cool and so much scarier.

Firstly, thank you for all of the advice! It's appreciated more than you know and is helping me reason through my own thought process on top of being inherently useful.

Hahah, I get exactly what you mean; even hearing someone give you the advice that you don't want to follow is great to realize that you don't want to follow it (and the reasons why). :)

To your point, that's exactly what I was saying with that post but perhaps didn't word it the best. "I feel like I have a good grasp on just how much bigger it'll be than even I can estimate, even now with that knowledge." was me trying to say "I know it'll be much bigger than I expect, and even with the knowledge it'll be bigger than expected; it'll be bigger even still"

Ah, fantastic, then. I think we can stop at level 2 and not go into "even knowing that [the knowledge of it taking a lot will not shield me from taking a lot] will still make it take more than I think". :)

I'm constantly exhausted from questioning myself even at my current job so at least I'm used to it. But yeah I know it won't be sunshine and rainbows... I'm prone to bouts of depression and down periods so I'll just work through it like normal.

As someone prone to depression myself, fair warning: the worst thing of all is these moments when you get into the "dark thoughts spiral" (I'm sure you know what you mean), they will also include your game, and your worth as a game developer. This can be soul crushing after one or two years of development with nothing but the game itself to show for it. For that reason I would advice to get as many points of hard data about your game's quality as possible, especially letting strangers play it and give you their opinion (unfortunately during a dark spiral you will probably dismiss your friends' opinion as "they're biased" or "they love me and won't criticise the game").

Oh of course not, and I love swimming. I just meant that doing housework on top of regular exercise is better than sitting 7+ hours a day and more often than not not having the time to go exercise. I would actually have more opportunity to swim as my partner's parents live near us and they have a pool and I would be able to visit more often. I am well aware of the joys a good swim can do for the brain, I've had my best ideas swimming, *that one game* idea included. I need to get a good waterproof mp3 though.

This is a fair point, I'm much more regular with swimming now that my working schedule is as flexible as I want.

On paper it seems to be the ideal solution but knowing myself I feel like it would be a half measure and I'd just end up doing poorly at work and at game dev without really benefiting from either. Also, I'm a kinesthetic learner, I really need to be doing a thing to remember it. Watching videos is great for concepts and theories (is why I loved the Extra Credits series but when it comes to anything nitty gritty I need to be at a desk following along to even begin to grok what they're talking about. It sucks. Would pay good money to be able to learn by listening or reading. On top of that, commute varies day to day, and I'm usually still waking up in the morning or too tired after work to make any good use of that time, I can't even focus on playing video games. I usually just listen to music or browse reddit/resetera. Excuses maybe but combined with not really being good at learning through lectures and blogs I just don't see it as a viable substitute, for my own personal experience. That's not from lack of trying either.

OK, as an alternative, how about doing the courses during the weekend? Each course's week takes about 4-5 hours, and they're really interesting and entertaining, so you can dedicate a couple hours a day each weekend (e.g. during the morning) and still take the 2 months or so that are recommended for the course. And even if you take more, that's OK, there's no hard deadline for them.

I think it's an aspect of the kinesthetic learning I mentioned before but I've tried many many times to draw or paint or make sprites even but I just don't seem to have the brain for giving a 2d image any sort of depth. I could make a 2d game sure but it would look like ass and I think I'd just be more comfortable with a 3D environment where I can really view a thing and model it out. Plus animation through rigging just seems way easier to me than redrawing the same thing in different poses, I'm awful at it. Even in school art class I was always more prone to sculpture than canvas.

If you feel confident in being able to do it in 3D, go nuts! I'm the exact opposite, hahah. 3D certainly gives you more gameplay possibilities too.

I was thinking the same thing. Make one critter, make a rudimentary battle system involving it, create the quest. Have that be the whole "game" and then see about expanding or innovating from what I learn from that.

Sounds like a plan! :)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
decided to stop procrastinating and actually do something so followed a cute little gamemaker tutorial to make a really basic shmup. It all works with minimal debugging! Now to reverse-engineer wtf i actually did and use the movement systems + hitbox systems I'm already a big fan of...

Status
Not open for further replies.