• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn, if someone buys IO it's good for them and they have more sense of job security, but I want them to stay independent at the same time.

Makes sense, now they have two studios where people speak with potatoes in their mouths. :D

I've never been more offended in my life, not that we talk like that but that you're comparing Danish to Swedish. JFC!

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, you're right. *insert German potato joke*

Damn, sorry - even though I don't know if I'm supposed to be sorry for Denmark or Sweden... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Denmark, always feel sorry for the Danes. I'm just kidding by the way ;).

So they relocated some of you guys then? Really happy it's going well over there.

Quality games like Hitman should be celebrated, more content and a new IP is great news.

Yes, just started playing Hitman 2 yesterday, I 100% Hitman (y no platinum IO!), fell in love with Hitman 2 in the first mission.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show that you should never make wild assumptions based on incomplete sales data when you have no idea how much a game needs to sell in the first place.

Happy for IO. One of the best studios in the business right now

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Malmö you say?

tumblr_m2uqb2nhlv1r5565fo1_500.png

*sighs*

This is just as bad as port begging IMO.
It's like anti-portbegging

Exclusivebegging

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
So gaming part of Malmö is growing, with first Massive Entertainment and now IO Interactive being there

Just happy that my closest city is part of the gaming world

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Malmö and Skåne is basically Denmark already both culturally and politically lol. So makes sense the danish sets up shop there. I love me some Copenhagen tho and their ristet pölse. nom nom

Also hope to see more Hitmen coming soon.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing news.
I seriously thought they were gonna close to being shut down rather than invest in a new studio.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Scandinavia is expensive for game development no?

So factor how Hitman 1 and 2 combined sales possibly didn't surpass 3m units, and how SE let IO go.

Based on this, how are IOI creating a new studio?

Someone has to be funding

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So gaming part of Malmö is growing, with first Massive Entertainment and now IO Interactive being there

Just happy that my closest city is part of the gaming world

Actually, it is bigger than that with quite a bit! Malmö has Tarsier Studios (Little Nightmares), The Bearded Ladies (Mutant year zero), Sharkmob (unnanounced), Mediocre, King.com and a bunch of small indie studios on top of that. It is also hosting one of the best game development schools in the world in The Game Assembly.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could just be related to their Glacier engine.

Could also be an imminent acquisition.

For now, I'm just happy IO aren't closing down.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see they aren't closing or had to lay people off.

I know he used to post here, but I think he left for some reason? Anyway, he would need to know people high up in the Xbox division in order to know that an IOI acquisition has been considered. Do we have any reason to believe he has contacts of that seniority?

He predicted the Obsidian acquisition before anyone even considered it (waaaaaay before schreier), so yeah, he has some kind of info.

ThatGuyJangle

Flashbulb Games
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Actually, it is bigger than that with quite a bit! Malmö has Tarsier Studios (Little Nightmares), The Bearded Ladies (Mutant year zero), Sharkmob (unnanounced), Mediocre, King.com and a bunch of small indie studios on top of that. It is also hosting one of the best game development schools in the world in The Game Assembly.

Avalanche are opening up a Malmo branch too in Game Habitat, don't believe they've announced what they're working on yet.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I highly doubt, WB partnered with IOI only for publishing duties, also they have a fuckton of games in development from their internal studios.
Not really: it is a long-term partnership. Warner Bros. has already released Hitman Definitive Edition, Hitman 2 and Hitman HD Collection Edition, but I think they will publish next games from IO Interactive.

Warner Bros. Interactive wants to grow and the recent Hitman HD Enhanced Collection their partnership with IO Interactive hasn't ended with Hitman 2.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Nordisk Film is looking to buy, they want in on the video game market. They already bought Avalanche studio and IOI fits the bill as well. Being a mid sized Scandinavian studio.

I'm just glad to see they're doing well enough to start a second studio.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
But the "insider" guy said "consideration" is not enough info for people starting derailing threads, this is more suitable for Microsoft Studios OT.

That tweet was in response to media outlets using his previous tweet to suggest that Microsoft obtaining IO Interactive was an imminent conclusion. He indicated that there was consideration on Microsoft's part. Klobrille is more than legit, and he typically doesn't make mention of something unless there's a bit of smoke. He was the one who pointed to Microsoft purchasing Playground Games, and that they'd be opening a new studio to create a new installment in the Fable franchise. He started the rumors that Microsoft would purchase Obsidian long before it was on anyone's radars. He indicated that there'd be major acquisition announcements at E3, and once again at the x18 event. He's right infinitely more times than he's wrong, especially when it comes to who Microsoft is in talks with acquiring.

So no, suggesting that this most recent move by IO Interactive is a potential sign that they've secured some type of future financial security - specifically being brought under Microsoft's ownership . Is not a case of people randomly pulling shit out of their ass.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That tweet was in response to media outlets using his previous tweet to suggest that Microsoft obtaining IO Interactive was an imminent conclusion. He indicated that there was consideration on Microsoft's part. Klobrille is more than legit, and he typically doesn't make mention of something unless there's a bit of smoke. He was the one who pointed to Microsoft purchasing Playground Games, and that they'd be opening a new studio to create a new installment in the Fable franchise. He started the rumors that Microsoft would purchase Obsidian long before it was on anyone's radars. He indicated that there'd be major acquisition announcements at E3, and once again at the x18 event. He's right infinitely more times than he's wrong, especially when it comes to who Microsoft is in talks with acquiring.

So no, suggesting that this most recent move by IO Interactive is a potential sign that they've secured some type of future financial security - specifically being brought under Microsoft's ownership . Is not a case of people randomly pulling shit out of their ass.

Isn't that new studio location close to Mojang as well?

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
IOI is one of my favorite developers so this makes me really happy. Hope is continues to bring great things for HITMAN and exciting new projects as well. I wish IOI success in all they do.