• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
We're happy and proud to announce that we're opening a new studio in Malmö, Sweden.

"We are super excited and proud to announce IOI Malmö. We will expand IOI to join a buzzling game developer community and bring our own unique IOI culture to this amazing town", says Hakan Abrak, CEO, IO Interactive.

The new studio will strengthen IO Interactive's commitment to deliver exceptional content to the HITMAN franchise, community, and all our fans. "Furthermore, this will expand our muscles for creating brand-new and exciting endeavours, new universes, new franchises. In other words, IOI Malmö and Copenhagen are one family", Hakan Abrak continues.

"The IOI expansion in Malmö was a natural choice as there is a very strong existing video game industry. I believe it has all opportunities to become the epicenter of game development in Scandinavia."

The new offices are already fully operational, located in the beautiful town center of Malmö.

Interested in working at IOI? Then check out our career page right here.
https://www.ioi.dk/ioi-malmo/

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Great stuff. Hoping this means they're doing well.

When're we getting more news on the Hitman 2 expansions, though?

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
That's great! I was a bit worried Hitman 2 might be the end of them as I thought I'd read it hadn't sold that well.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Huh weird. I though they were in bad situation financially after Hitman 2.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Makes a lot of sense with those two cities being less than an hour apart. Very reassuring that they are expanding, I hope they can keep making great things for a long long time

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Whose funding?

I doubt they'd be doing this without security

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
So Playground decided to open a new studio because they knew they were joining MS.

Wonder if this is the same?

Putfire

May 12, 2018
We know that they are in the sights of Microsoft and now started a process of expansion after a game that was not a commercial success ...

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they themselves say it wasn't a commercial success, or is it just pure speculation by others?
The game has leaderboards and it's easy to track how many people played the game (retail + digital) on each platform. Well, at least the ones who played and finished the very first (and very short) mission.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has leaderboards and it's easy to track how many people played the game (retail + digital) on each platform. Well, at least the ones who played and finished the very first (and very short) mission.
Deriving commercial success from in-game leaderboards sounds like speculation though

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Did they themselves say it wasn't a commercial success, or is it just pure speculation by others?
I think they would hardly say that the game was not a commercial success but by the time of the game's launch and based on the sales lists, Hitman does not seem to have achieved good numbers for an AAA game

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they would hardly say that the game was not a commercial success but by the time of the game's launch and based on the sales lists, Hitman does not seem to have achieved good numbers for an AAA game
I think it's fair to say that judging by the indicator's we have seen regarding the game, paired with what people's expectations are these days are for "AAA" games, that hitman 2 probably didn't do very well.

However given that they are expanding, I think it would probably be worth reconsidering if the game actually did as badly as the initial headlines for the game indicated. We don't know what kind of budget the game had I think, I'd personally have a hard time seeing hitman 2 having a budget anywhere close to the big current AAA games on the market. Nor do we know exactly how much money hitman 2 have brought in

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Malmö you say?

tumblr_m2uqb2nhlv1r5565fo1_500.png

Gearing up for the Microsoft acquisition?

*sighs*

This is just as bad as port begging IMO.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
The game might not have sold huge numbers but maybe it was enough for his budget? who knows..

Also, they self publish their games on the digital stores which helps.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like they have a deal with some publisher (probably Warner) for new IP as their next project.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this means they're going well and it's not some wildly optimistic but unaffordable expansion.

Hitman 2 is the shit.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No more commute? No more commute! Although playing Switch on the 35 minute train ride is a nice downtime :)

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
So glad to see them growing, been a huge IOI supporter for almost as long as I'm playing video games. Hope things work out well with this new studio.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, they must be doing alright if they're opening new studios, which is good to hear.