• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You have to own the game on the same platform - IO track ownership externally to the store data, so maps will unlock.
Xbox/PS/PC are the platforms
Have we seen confirmation of that? Rather, that ONLY that works? It's been a very common question on the hitman reddit and I've never seen a firm answer. New generations mean people switching ecosystems, so it's a pretty relevant question.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Have we seen confirmation of that? Rather, that ONLY that works? It's been a very common question on the hitman reddit and I've never seen a firm answer. New generations mean people switching ecosystems, so it's a pretty relevant question.
This won't happen for a variety of reasons including platform holders not allowing it. Microsoft and especially Sony (due to market dominance) want their cut of the content sales.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This won't happen for a variety of reasons including platform holders not allowing it. Microsoft and especially Sony (due to market dominance) want their cut of the content sales.
There are plenty of games that work that way these days, especially cross gen.

Sony, for example, is going to lose my sale if they don't allow it, since I would buy it there for dualsense + vr someday otherwise.Not if I can't transfer my HM1 and 2 though

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
It's smaller in the scheme of things, but I hope there's menu navigation improvements this time round.

With all of 47's available and unlocked arsenal carrying over, having horizontal scrolling for starting location selections and inventory items would be a tragic conclusion to the trilogy.

Would've liked to have seen more non-stealth expansions to the sandbox's mechanics like dual-wielding pistols and human shields, but I'm mostly looking forward to the finished package.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I would love if progress was tied to an IOI account so that my progress could transfer seamlessly from the epic store to playstation or steam (eventually) etc.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Yeah you guys are right those are not screenspace reflections. And yeah we definitely hade reflections in the other two games, but we have indeed upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections (for base ps4/xbox one too) and so there will be much more reflected goodness this time around. As an example, the Paris fashion show catwalk floor is now fully reflecting the models and the rest of the room, making the whole scenario look way more impressive :)
That footage looked great! Congrats to the team. Do you plan to add Ray tracing support for next gen consoles in the future?

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I haven't played a Hitman game in years. And years. Maybe I'll pick this one up.
Grab the first two in this trilogy if you can. IO have really nailed the formula down. The first one is amazing, and the second somehow improves on it with just some minor touches in gameplay. Honestly one of the gems of the previous gen, and I'm pretty confident that this one will continue that for the new gen.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Answering my own question:

So, graphics and gameplay are all from Hitman 3? Or is the environment and models from the game it came from?

That's how it already works with hitman 1/2 , I would assume they are using the same setup.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You have to own the game on the same platform - IO track ownership externally to the store data, so maps will unlock.
Xbox/PS/PC are the platforms
Hiya, sorry for quoting you but I just want to make sure I've understood.

Are you saying that the maps WILL unlock across platforms via an ioi account? I'm trying to reconcile the bit after the hyphen with the bit before...but I think I'm missing something.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hiya, sorry for quoting you but I just want to make sure I've understood.

Are you saying that the maps WILL unlock across platforms via an ioi account? I'm trying to reconcile the bit after the hyphen with the bit before...but I think I'm missing something.

It doesn't currently and I doubt it will given we know Sony's general feelings on cross-whatver.

H16 and H2 maps are confirmed to be able to transfer from Steam into EGS.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Looks nice but still too similar to the previous ones. I wish they improved the menu / UI though

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't currently and I doubt it will given we know Sony's general feelings on cross-whatver.

H16 and H2 maps are confirmed to be able to transfer from Steam into EGS.
Ok, that's what I thought, thanks for clarifying and keep up the great work!

I go a bit soft at the knees for a good hdr heat map :)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This will be incredible. I think Hitman 1 & 2 and all the content is already over 100gb.
I wonder if they have consolidated the first 2 games into single downloads rather than episodes- there must be a lot of duplication of data because they are all playable independently of what you have installed

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they have consolidated the first 2 games into single downloads rather than episodes- there must be a lot of duplication of data because they are all playable independently of what you have installed

Sort of. Biggest wins are because of data management and file structures and how we deliver the game so we could remove duplicate data. We also use newer and better compression for textures - that helps too.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you guys are right those are not screenspace reflections. And yeah we definitely hade reflections in the other two games, but we have indeed upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections (for base ps4/xbox one too) and so there will be much more reflected goodness this time around. As an example, the Paris fashion show catwalk floor is now fully reflecting the models and the rest of the room, making the whole scenario look way more impressive :)

Can't wait! I've always found the games really visually impressive and I love the continuing support for the old episodes. Paris is still a favorite of mine.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
When I played hitman I would have so much fun and then end up frustrated. I hope there's a mode for total scrubs that don't play shooter type games. I know it's supposed to be stealth but it felt like even the slightest mistake and the shooter controls would kick in. :(

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
When I played hitman I would have so much fun and then end up frustrated. I hope there's a mode for total scrubs that don't play shooter type games. I know it's supposed to be stealth but it felt like even the slightest mistake and the shooter controls would kick in. :(

The key is to make a save right before you do anything remotely risky. That way you can reload if things go wrong.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Just save before trying something risky or just messing around. Half of the time I just forget the mission, save, and mess around with the NPCs. Great way to test out new gear you unlock as well.
Do i have to rebuy 1 & 2 on PS5 if i have them on PC and want 3 on PS5?
Yep, you do. Content and progress will only carry over from the same family of systems. So you need to rebuy 1 & 2 if you want the content from them in 3.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I see they're still making everyone sound super American in these games.
This. I shook my head once again when I realised the man that was talking is supposed to be an arab/Emirati. He can't even pronounce Burj al Ghazali properly. And I'm not going to talk about most npc's there are probably white people, but I can't judge that until the game is out. This industry is a joke.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I get spotted in a hitman game to the point that shooting begins, I consider that mission a failure and I reload a save.

Oct 28, 2017

Hopefully, cause I noticed each "Map" or "Level" from Hitman 1 and 2 was like 6+ GB each. That was just for the maps. So I assume you are correct, may assets were being reused, and now with better compression tech, maybe they can get the sizes down considerably. Now, I just wonder if the PS4 version also has better compression and lower install size. I will be installing both, PS4 for VR gameplay, and PS5 for non VR Gameplay.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hitman adding some Mission Impossible elements while also capitalizing on some stuff that made Splinter Cell amazing can be incredible.

Hopefully that's the case with this entry? I'm definitely playing it once I get a PS5 if so.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just save before trying something risky or just messing around. Half of the time I just forget the mission, save, and mess around with the NPCs. Great way to test out new gear you unlock as well.

Yep, you do. Content and progress will only carry over from the same family of systems. So you need to rebuy 1 & 2 if you want the content from them in 3.
Again, they have not said that yet - it's a very common question.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
It's been said that our progress from Hitman 2 on Steam will carry over to EGS Hitman 3, probably since our online saves are stored on IOI's servers. But the bigger question for me is whether we'll be able to transfer progress/achievements from EGS Hitman 3 to Steam Hitman 3 once the (presumed) timed exclusivity ends. I'm totally willing to double dip because I don't think I can wait a year to play, but I'd rather delete the EGS version and just play on Steam if/when it comes out.

Same. Or just let them kill me.
When I get discovered I go wild and take out my frustrations on NPCs by throwing muffins at them or slapping them with fish. Then I reload, lol.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I think all of you will be happy to hear is that we have managed to get the size of the game down significantly. All three games with all content will take up around 100gb.

Does that mean the old 2 (+1) content will not be used and the new 3 engine will have to re-download its own version of 1+2 content?

It would be really great if cross platform saves became a thing in the future (or at least a one-off migration). With the franchise now spanning multiple console generations I'm sure a lot of people are in the same position where they will be back to the start on 1+2 on a new platform.

Thanks for making some unbelievable games :)

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Sort of. Biggest wins are because of data management and file structures and how we deliver the game so we could remove duplicate data. We also use newer and better compression for textures - that helps too.
Thanks to everyone at IOI for their work on this. Storage space is at a premium this generation and the Hitman Trilogy will be a permanent fixture on my PS5 as I know I'll keep going back to it over the next few years.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There are plenty of games that work that way these days, especially cross gen.

Sony, for example, is going to lose my sale if they don't allow it, since I would buy it there for dualsense + vr someday otherwise.Not if I can't transfer my HM1 and 2 though
Ubisoft has done it with a number of their titles. It's definitely possible to do.
Can I get examples? IOI would be basically pulling across whole game licenses.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Last time I played this series was Hitman 2 on PS2 :/

Time to jump back on the train with this one seeing how I want some PS5 games. This shit looks awesome.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Just picked up Hitman 2 GOTY for $20 on PSN, looks like I have all of that Hitman 1 levels as part of the "Hitman GOTY Legacy Pack", but I still have an option to buy Hitman 1 GOTY, so not sure what that's about.

Regardless, I now own Hitman 1/2 with all the levels, locked and ready to enjoy all of them again. I now officially own all of Hitman 1/2 on PC/PS5/XB1, heh.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Hitman 2 demo and loved it. Its it okay to skip the 1st game and jump into the 2nd? Whats the best way to start? Also the HDR is really well done!

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Hitman 2 demo and loved it. Its it okay to skip the 1st game and jump into the 2nd? Whats the best way to start? Also the HDR is really well done!
I highly recommend getting both and play all the levels on the Hitman 2 client. I bought both during this ongoing sale ($32 for both is a ridiculous deal) and am enjoying the crap out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I would start from the first game. Both games have really great unmissable levels. After the introduction stuff, Paris location is awesome in Hitman 1. But nothing is stopping you from starting from Hitman 2 if you really want to start there.