• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope! We upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections. Best thing? It's backwards compatible with the previous two games in the trilogy and lots of surfaces has been upgraded. It's pretty stunning I gotta say!

Hitman (at least on PC) actually has real reflections. They're not ray traced, they're actually just old-school style render-to-texture reflections. I remember in the bank level, for example, you could look at the floor and see the whole scene (including 47 himself) reflected. I assume that's how the windows in this scene are done too, just the whole scene being rendered again. Either way, the games look amazing! Definitely underrated graphically, they're not usually on lists of best-looking games ever but they have a really natural, clean look to them that holds up really well in all kinds of scenes.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The reflections in that video aren't screen space are they? (on the outside of the building in Dubai, where non screen space objects are shown)
I assume those are the non raytraced reflections to which the user was referring.

Hitman 2 used them in a handful of places for mirrors.
Whatever the case , I can't wait to do it all again for the 3rd time and see what other amazingly realised environments and architecture you've put together for the new content- it's my most anticipated game by far!

Hitman (at least on PC) actually has real reflections. They're not ray traced, they're actually just old-school style render-to-texture reflections. I remember in the bank level, for example, you could look at the floor and see the whole scene (including 47 himself) reflected. I assume that's how the windows in this scene are done too, just the whole scene being rendered again. Either way, the games look amazing! Definitely underrated graphically, they're not usually on lists of best-looking games ever but they have a really natural, clean look to them that holds up really well in all kinds of scenes.

Yeah you guys are right those are not screenspace reflections. And yeah we definitely hade reflections in the other two games, but we have indeed upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections (for base ps4/xbox one too) and so there will be much more reflected goodness this time around. As an example, the Paris fashion show catwalk floor is now fully reflecting the models and the rest of the room, making the whole scenario look way more impressive :)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think Blood Money is the last game I played. Has the series changed dramatically since then?
The current trilogy of games is very much cut from the same cloth as blood money. The series had a blip with the.followup (absolution) but came back in full force amazing with the current batch of titles.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah you guys are right those are not screenspace reflections. And yeah we definitely hade reflections in the other two games, but we have indeed upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections (for base ps4/xbox one too) and so there will be much more reflected goodness this time around. As an example, the Paris fashion show catwalk floor is now fully reflecting the models and the rest of the room, making the whole scenario look way more impressive :)

Can't Hnnrrrgh wait
020.gif

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks incredible, can't wait to see what they do with 007 too.

Has anyone confirmed if they have implemented the destruction tech from the New York map in any of H3s maps?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it got way, way worse...then it got better again back to more or less where it was, but a lot more polished and impressive.

If you enjoyed Blood Money you are in very safe hands. If you didn't? Well not for you.
The current trilogy of games is very much cut from the same cloth as blood money. The series had a blip with the.followup (absolution) but came back in full force amazing with the current batch of titles.
Good to hear. I did have a really good time playing Blood Money. I just haven't been back to the franchise since. Sounds like I didn't miss too much.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely fantastic to hear! One of my personal pet peeves with the Hokkaido level were the lack of realtime reflections on the floors and walls in the medical section. Seriously stoked to revisit the old maps again in Hitman 3.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
They've said raytracing isn't coming till after launch, not sure how they are pulling off those reflections in the footage.

They appear to be using the same techniques from HITMAN 2, you can see artifacting/warping that is a trait of screen-space reflections in the red room where he picks up the pamphlet. Proper RT would resolve this.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So for someone wanting to get into these games, do you just buy Hitman 3 and you get all the content from the previous 2? How does it work?

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
My main hope is they add in an fps mode. They are already doing vr, so hopefully a fps mode comes as well.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. I did have a really good time playing Blood Money. I just haven't been back to the franchise since. Sounds like I didn't miss too much.

you missed a lot of good video game with Hitman 2016/2018, but if you care about story, lol don't even worry about it

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So for someone wanting to get into these games, do you just buy Hitman 3 and you get all the content from the previous 2? How does it work?

I don't think so. In order to play the Hitman 1 maps in Hitman 2 you had to own Hitman 1, and then you'd be able to download the Hitman 2 versions to play them within that game. I'm assuming it'll be the same this time.

Hitman 1 was on PS+ and was free on Epic Games Store some months ago, so chances are you already own it on some platform. Both games should be on sale pretty much everywhere right now.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think so. In order to play the Hitman 1 maps in Hitman 2 you had to own Hitman 1, and then you'd be able to download the Hitman 2 versions to play them within that game. I'm assuming it'll be the same this time.
Gotcha. It seems like the story is not something to care about and it's the gameplay that matters? I am just seeing if I can jump in with this one.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gotcha. It seems like the story is not something to care about and it's the gameplay that matters? I am just seeing if I can jump in with this one.

You can definitely jump right in. There's a campaign mode that tells an overarching story with cutscenes between maps, but that's not really the real reason most people play Hitman.

You should definitely try the previous games if you like 3. Not because of the story, but because of the incredible value all those maps provide. You could literally play for hundreds of hours and still not see everything.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can definitely jump right in. There's a campaign mode that tells an overarching story with cutscenes between maps, but that's not really the real reason most people play Hitman.

You should definitely try the previous games if you like 3. Not because of the story, but because of the incredible value all those maps provide. You could literally play for hundreds of hours and still not see everything.
Great. Thank you for the help. It seems like they're going to be optimized for next-gen at launch, with RT coming later?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Already preordered on PS5, I've heard as well you can play the hitman 1 & 2 levels in H3 just like H2 let you play H1 levels

I've sunk 150+ hours into H1 and H2, can't wait!

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No, if you own the previous ganes it gets upgraded within the latest version.
You can pick up the previous ganes super cheap

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
The reflections in that video aren't screen space are they? (on the outside of the building in Dubai, where non screen space objects are shown)
Aren't the inside reflections screen spaced though? It's hard to tell with the potato quality of the video, but it looked like there was pretty distict halo-ing around the character model when they were panning around the scene, around the 4 minute mark

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Although the ray tracing looks nice, this is inherently a last gen game so the animations still look kinda weird lk

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is lowkey the worst thing about the series

The earlier Hitman games were actually pretty good about using foreign languages or, at least, trying to imitate appropriate accents (which was very hokey in some cases but was charming and added to the game's atmosphere, I think). It's unfortunate that the modern ones give everyone very American accents, but I guess given the relatively massive amounts of dialogue in this game, it makes sense.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Not sure what to do with this game. Not ruining the experience playing on PS4, PC isn't good enough, and no PS5 for long while. Guess I'll just wait.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Nope! We upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections. Best thing? It's backwards compatible with the previous two games in the trilogy and lots of surfaces has been upgraded. It's pretty stunning I gotta say!

Neat!

On an unrelated note, is there any other information on the VR version? Is it only for PSVR or are there plans for the PC version as well?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Indoor at the beginning you can see lots of reflection disappearing in the extremities of the screen, so yeah doesn't seem to be RT

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The earlier Hitman games were actually pretty good about using foreign languages or, at least, trying to imitate appropriate accents (which was very hokey in some cases but was charming and added to the game's atmosphere, I think). It's unfortunate that the modern ones give everyone very American accents, but I guess given the relatively massive amounts of dialogue in this game, it makes sense.

this is not the case in hitman 2 (2018).

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks and will be amazing, it will likely never leave my pd5 drive with all the levels installed. That said the first half of the video feels pretty out of place. Its just a linear path to enter the building and then the actual level starts halfway in. At least we can unlock starts in the building though and not have to do the intro bit each time.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think they'll touch PCVR questions until their contract with Sony allows them.
I'd expect there will eventually be PCVR support, somewhere between 1-12 months after release.
Is Sheikh Zanzibar making a comeback?
It might happen. They did bring him back in Miami for Hitman 2.