• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Wait so if I get the PS5 version of Hitman I can't play it in VR even though the PS5 supports VR? That's just fucking stupid if so.
That's my understanding. Bit of a nightmare as Hitman 2 with all the Hitman original levels clocks in at like 136GB. Having it all on my system twice is not something I'm amped for.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be locked to PSVR forever. This is the first VR experience that I really want to play.

More Details From Developer

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's my understanding. Bit of a nightmare as Hitman 2 with all the Hitman original levels clocks in at like 136GB. Having it all on my system twice is not something I'm amped for.

If you get the ps4 version of Hitman 3, you will get a free upgrade to the ps5 version.

If you get the ps5 version, you will get a free key to the ps4 version, so that you can still play it in VR.

Edit: the game is playable in VR on the ps5, using an adapter and the DualShock

Anyway, all three games installed will take well under 100gb of disk space. We could do this thanks to new compression tech as well as a new delivery method :)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looks great!

Hopefully they'll make a version with motion controls. Using a DS4 works (see: RE7) but it's not ideal.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
wait so if you own Hitman 1 + 2 already you'll be able to play the vr version for free?

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
If you get the ps4 version of Hitman 3, you will get a free upgrade to the ps5 version.

If you get the ps5 version, you will get a free key to the ps4 version, so that you can still play it in VR.

Anyway, all three games installed will take well under 100gb of disk space. We could do this thanks to new compression tech as well as a new delivery method :)

Thank you. That's a nice clarification.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
A shame that it's only on PSVR (timed exclusive?), because the Move controllers are sooooo bad for these kinds of games.
The move controllers really really suck, the trailer looks amazing but when I think of walking and doing everything with those controllers... Man, I wish I could use anything else.
Do we know how you're gonna move around while using the Moves in the game? Using the face buttons maybe?

Need an updated Move with sticks on it ASAP.
I like my headset but anything that requires Move controller and free motion and precision is barely playable. It is more frustration and completly kill the immersion.

Move controllers aren't currently supported. Only the DualShock 4 / DualSense.

wait so if you own Hitman 1 + 2 already you'll be able to play the vr version for free?
Yep!

univbee

Oct 25, 2017

Specifics about all this are really thin on the ground for a game that's supposed to be out in less than 2 weeks. Like they said all PS5 version will get the PS4 version which makes the PSN pricing weird and right now buying the PS5 version directly does not give you the PS4 version. And they haven't confirmed what the control scheme for VR mode looks like.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious how they are doing those arm movements with just the DualShock. I just bought HM1 & 2, I am finally going to try to make it through the games rather than get frustrate, start mowing people down and then turning the game off. VR will definitely bring new experiences to the table, but I'm still going to try to beat the original games in pancake mode so I can get my bearings on the levels

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Specifics about all this are really thin on the ground for a game that's supposed to be out in less than 2 weeks. Like they said all PS5 version will get the PS4 version which makes the PSN pricing weird and right now buying the PS5 version directly does not give you the PS4 version. And they haven't confirmed what the control scheme for VR mode looks like.

I don't know how the delivery of the key is going to work unfortunately, as Sony is handling that.

We have confirmed that the game is exclusively using the DualShock for the controlscheme. I think we nailed it and it works surprisingly well!

Oct 26, 2017

That's huge news!

seems like the understanding previously was that to play all the levels on ps5 in VR, you'd need to have two copies of the game installed, so hearing that plus the compression is wonderful.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, really? Crazy. The hand movements made me using it was using hand tracking.

The reason the DS4 has that light bar is so that it can be tracked in PSVR. Mixed with the gyro it works quite well.

Oh wow, I can't even imagine how aiming works. Gyro ?

Aiming will probably be done with the headset, like in Resident Evil 4. You get a crosshair while aiming that you can position by moving your head. If it's like RE7 it will be extremely fast and accurate.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Lol no moves support turned me off instantly. They aren't top notch at this point but still better then moving the Ds4 around with one hand...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The reason the DS4 has that light bar is so that it can be tracked in PSVR. Mixed with the gyro it works quite well.

I know about the gyro tracking, I'm just surprised because the video stuff has looked like two hands!

I trust IOI to make it the right way. Just interested because I thought this was definitely gonna be Move controlled.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

That's huge news!

seems like the understanding previously was that to play all the levels on ps5 in VR, you'd need to have two copies of the game installed, so hearing that plus the compression is wonderful.

This is still a bit unclear. The bolded sounds like you need the PS4 version to play in VR, and the dev is saying you can play that PS4 version on PS5 through BC. So it still sounds like you need both versions installed on your PS5 if you want to play in VR, and want the PS5 enhancements outside of VR.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is still a bit unclear. The bolded sounds like you need the PS4 version to play in VR, and the dev is saying you can play that PS4 version on PS5 through BC. So it still sounds like you need both versions installed on your PS5 if you want to play and VR, and want the PS5 enhancements outside of VR.

Yes. That's my understanding?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, yeah, you're right. It looks like he's aiming slighty off center, like in golden eye. I hope it's not a thumbstick aiming mechanism.
Probably gyro control. Still confused why they went that route instead of Move control. Like the option is great for those that don't have Moves but still.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Sounds great!

I don't know how the delivery of the key is going to work unfortunately, as Sony is handling that.

We have confirmed that the game is exclusively using the DualShock for the controlscheme. I think we nailed it and it works surprisingly well!

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I saw free hands being used so I assumed it was PS Move enabled. That said, some of my favorite VR experiences have been DualShock only, so I know this will be great and if you're doing it this way I have no doubt you made the best decision for the product.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's complicated due to things that are way, waaaay outside IO's control, downloading both versions is a pain. Though, I was about to buy it on PC, the VR mode will probably push me to get it on PS5.

So how does hand tracking work with a DS4? You move both hands with the one controller? Or the "Active hand" with it while you control with the face buttons?

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that seals it for me.

I was going to buy it on Series X because I have the first two games on that system. (I only have the first on PSN.) But this, coupled with the discount for pre-ordering on PSN, means that I'll be buying it on PSN...along with a copy of Hitman 2 while it's on sale.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's the exact same progression :)
Awesome to hear! I love playing in VR, but not always in the mood for it. Hope y'all manage to get in move-support at some point... or actually, I can be patient and wait for the PS5 VR motion controls if that is in the cards.

I'm sure those would be way better to deal with, lol (especially with porting to/from equivalent PCVR motion controllers).

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Great. Last question. Will running the PS4 version in VR on a PS5 get any enhancements over just running it on a PS4? I'm thinking about the enhancements that were added to games like Blood and Truth and Firewall Zero Hour when PS5 came out.

Yeah, I'd love to know this one as well if this is anything you can speak to A Path Finder.

Save progression being the same between VR and PS5 excites me the most. I freely switched between both VR and flat gaming when I played No Man's Sky, but that was on PS4 and they were both the same game. Nice to know even though the versions are different with Hitman the save is the same. That's how you know for a FACT they're delivering the full game in VR by the way lol.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Great. Last question. Will running the PS4 version in VR on a PS5 get any enhancements over just running it on a PS4? I'm thinking about the enhancements that were added to games like Blood and Truth and Firewall Zero Hour when PS5 came out.

I don't know how those games handles that and I am not sure how h3 will do. We will have to clarify that leading up to release! I will say that it will run the most stable and performe the best on ps5 though.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oh man that looks so good.. but at the same time a bit difficult to play potentially with the move controllers?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Really cool of IO to take the sony moneyhat for a franchise that PC players have supported for 20 years.

Here's hoping it's another deal where they just can't talk about it in the marketing and the PC release will be soon after.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Will we actually get any kind of confirmation about PCVR? Staying silent about this since the announcement is kinda bit annoying. We would just like to know if we can expect VR mode on PC or not.

Uhh, even if there was a version coming, you do realize that's nothing he's going to say to you before any official statement is made right?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'll be getting this on PCVR eventually hopefully . PSVR will not do this justice.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh, even if there was a version coming, you do realize that's nothing he's going to say to you before any official statement is made right?

We can at least get something. Game is out in 2 weeks and first that trailer is already misleading because as far as i know thee are no move controllers support so most of the things in that trailer are not 1:1 movement and trailer makes it look like it is. And second people are asking them about PCVR since announcement as i said and to date they avoided answering that question. I would rather see them say no it won't come to PC than hide every time that question is asked.