• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Great reviews!

I never finished Hitman 1 as I'm terrible with stealth games even though I enjoyed it. How is it with the upgrade now, if I buy Hitman 3 will Hitman 1 then be a PS5 version?

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
How come IGN and Gamespot's reviews spoil the murder mystery? Figured finding the target would be part of the fun in that one.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
3 is the best simply because it has the best levels by a mile.
Which would you say was your favourite?

Having to wait a day after hearing this..

giphy.gif

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Io interactive. Hopefully sales match those scores, they deserve it.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Damn! That's great scores all around! Gonna pull the trigger right away.

My fantasy critic season is off to a great start as this was my first pick

Oct 27, 2017
This game seems like it was destined for a big finish. It also feels like some of these scores are almost like a Martin scorsese make good for underrating the rilogy

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to IO, I really need to make time and fully playthrough Hitman 1 and 2, had them both since launch, but haven't finished either yet, despite really enjoying them.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is bad at these games and reloads a billion times, how are the load times on PS5, lightning quick?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand review scores tbh. What Hitman does, it does near flawlessly. These scores are good sure, but one point better than Cyberpunk? If Cyberpunk is an 86 then this shit is a 95+

Oct 28, 2017
not sure if i like this. the levels in season 2 are HUGE, sometimes too much so. if the levels in 3 are even bigger, it might get too overwhelming for me.

I agree, bigger and more complicated is not always necessarily better - Hokkaido is testament to this. But screw it, IO said they wanted to go out big and throw everything at the wall for 3, and it looks like they followed through.

I'm looking forward to wandering around each map for 2 hours before deciding what to do.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll never understand review scores tbh. What Hitman does, it does near flawlessly. These scores are good sure, but one point better than Cyberpunk? If Cyberpunk is an 86 then this shit is a 95+
Reviews compare and judge their genre and modern game standards, not all games as a whole. Also, its better to compare the publication and not the aggregate.

Comparing this to cyberpunk is simply foolish. Be smart like me and agree with this comparison:

God_Hand_vs_Party_Babyz.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I got into it in my review. They're all so great, but I'm partial to Berlin, not because of the location but because of your targets. More info in the review.

Great review, really enjoyed it! Very excited to see all of the interesting characteristics of the missions you mention. Agree with the difficulty enhancements you suggest as well; they would be good to see added post-launch.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

If you think that way and see what gta 4 got, we should see games scoring 12/10 all the time :)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean I expected good reviews based on the last 2 games, but this is even more of a positive reception. Cool, I am very much looking forward to playing it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The whole Karak/ACG Black Chamber ban, CP2077 drama starts from here.
www.resetera.com

CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them.

I couldn't find the statement before, but now I see that it even says "text-only thread" and not even "text-only post". So not only was the limitation of text only thrown out, it was broken by the staff in the second post of the thread. I know I'm just one voice, but I personally find them...

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Awesome!!! I still haven't beaten Hitman 2 but I'll finish going through that in the next month. So glad we got Hitman 3 and they're working on the Bond game.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews compare and judge their genre and modern game standards, not all games as a whole. Also, its better to compare the publication and not the aggregate.

Comparing this to cyberpunk is simply foolish. Be smart like me and agree with this comparison:

God_Hand_vs_Party_Babyz.jpg
If you think that way and see what gta 4 got, we should see games scoring 12/10 all the time :)
Oh trust me me I know they don't really get used to compare games. I just couldn't help but notice the score and it made me think how over inflated the Cyberpunk score is purely off hype and the media circlejerk. Off topic but I'm genuinely surprised most haven't adjusted theirs for 2077 as they're basically all lies.

On topic though, reviews or not I'm gonna be playing this game all gen. Id give the last two an 11 out of 10 if I could and can't wait to get back in. The lack of midnight release is gonna be killer

Feb 4, 2018
they've got a brand sold on their merit, but as someone whose played EVERY bond game, even the decent ones aren't always guaranteed success in sales

I just hope they are given the chance to WOW the world with a top notch spy game in Bond, and that it pays off big for them

I want Hitman (4) to be guaranteed

I think Skyfall launched Bond into a different level of cultural interest. A Bond game is going to sell gangbusters.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 3 is the closest we will ever get to a Mission Impossible game.

My review:

Good review and shame about the AI on the highest diff. On the one hand it just avoids the need to restart when deep into a mission after flubbing something that calls for an alert, on the other it breaks immersion when the AI just forgets an intrusion and doesn't escalate security or protections.

The series should enforce new layers of challenge if the player is identified. Hiding in a bush for a couple min and resuming as if nothing happened on the highest diff is kind of bleh indeed.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
If I like dishonored will I probably like this?
I'm a huge fan of the Dishonored games (and Deus Ex, Metal Gear etc.) but I couldn't get into the Hitman series at first. On paper they sound kind of similar (great level design, very open, lots of player agency etc.), but they are designed and play very differently. Dishonored is more "linear" in progression, meaning you usually explore the level, look for upgrades, incapacitate a lot of guards, loot as much as possible, eliminate the target and then move on to the next mission.
Hitman is more about finding ways to get close to your target and eliminate it without causing a stir, while tackling specific challenges and gradually learning and puzzling pieces about the characters, routines and events together. Afterwards you replay that mission and use your new knowledge and stuff you unlocked along the way (like a different starting location, costume, loadout or in Hitman 3 also permanent shortcuts) to find an entirely different way to approach the target, learn and unlock even more stuff which opens up even more possibilities etc., until you know all the intricacies of that mission/location. Of course you can still start the next mission after killing a target once, but that's not exactly what the game is about. Overall I'd say it's a bit more meticulous and slow-paced than Dishonored, but you should definitely give it a try if you think you can adapt to that mindset. It can feel overwhelming at first, but there are things like mission stories which can help you ease into the experience.

Last edited: