• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's Your Weapon of Choice?

• Silenced ICA Silverballer

Votes: 349 26.2%
  • Fibre Wire

Votes: 312 23.4%
  • Lethal Syringe

Votes: 84 6.3%
  • Sieger 300 Sniper Rifle

Votes: 45 3.4%
  • ICA Remote Explosive

Votes: 30 2.3%
  • A Banana

Votes: 172 12.9%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 340 25.5%

• Total voters

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Release day. Time to get my Hitman on.

Hitman-short-look.gif

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I will wait for the game to reach Steam, but kudos to the OP, the OT was written with just enough info to tease people but not spoil the game :D Good job!

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand time mate. Aussies are two hours behind.

But seriously, this isn't an MMO. The requirement to launch when servers can be maintained is complete bullshit for an exclusively single-player game (especially one I went to the shops and bought physically at lunch today, but cannot make progress in until tomorrow - a day after the advertised launch date).

Hardly the most pressing concern in 2021, but still frustrating as someone who set time aside to play tonight.

Hard to disagree with this and honestly something IOI should've been called out for more in reviews. The online requirement for progress is rubbish, especially with no co-op or multiplayer modes for 3. I don't buy the explanation that it's needed for player competitions and leaderboards given the cheaters in 2016 and 2 litter them, with IOI doing fuck all about that.

All the constant communications to server for recording every single player action are pretty much pointless. What becomes of the trilogy once costs warrant shutting the servers down?

Most importantly, was having an online system so that IOI staff are prepared for servers issues really necessary? Look at what it's done for the launch schedule.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the explanation that it's needed for player competitions and leaderboards

I totally agree that the online requirement is obstructive and pointless (I've been saying so since 2016 when I had to deal with 3 months of constant connection drops), but I don't think - I could be wrong - that was ever the 'excuse'.

I think it's mainly a hangover from when the game was built as a kind of GAAS that delivered levels episodically. They were using the data to tweak levels on the fly and to help design future episodes/content.

Probably difficult/not worth it to scoop it out this late in the day, though they will eventually need to deal with it if they want the game to last.

At least, that's my take.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree that the online requirement is obstructive and pointless (I've been saying so since 2016 when I had to deal with 3 months of constant connection drops), but I don't think - I could be wrong - that was ever the 'excuse'.

I think it's mainly a hangover from when the game was built as a kind of GAAS that delivered levels episodically. They were using the data to tweak levels on the fly and to help design future episodes/content.

Probably difficult/not worth it to scoop it out this late in the day, though they will eventually need to deal with it if they want the game to last.

At least, that's my take.

I agree entirely with that, its purpose was definitely for data analytics to drive level development and deploy Elusive Targets for example (something IOI still have not talked about for 3). Anyway, I don't that's ever been well communicated in terms of its intended benefits to players.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-au/resources/videos/hitman-and-azure-v1/

For more context, there's really no reason whatsoever for online only to feature in the WOA's final instalment. The non-episodic launch approach has been in from 2, ET release schedules plus content went to shit for 2's maps, and multiplayer functionality was dropped during its lifespan.

So, we're left with suggestions that online only is needed for leaderboards. The leaderboard scores in WOA are too heavily weighted on time taken for completion, and I'm sure nothing will be done to enforce this vestige of a useless system once cheaters hope on.

I've got no doubt Hitman 3's content and levels will elevate it above 2016 and 2, but it's frustrating to see these lingering issues remain while things like making improvements to contracts creation and mode haven't even appeared to have been looked at.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the mass quote but people are really thirsty for that unlock time - this was just from the last page.

Quite a few people have already posted, the unlock time is picked in the middle of the day, Denmark time, so they can manage servers etc. They specifically said this in their useful and detailed pre launch guide where they announced the launch time AND the reason why :)

Good luck and best wishes to the servers
I mean the game's unlocking at midnight here as per usual. Unless games usually release at 2pm in Denmark?
No, you can check the times for each time zone here. It's why I said it's weird because at least using the earliest time zone would make sense.
Edit: I get you. 2PM Denmark time is a silly and arbitrary time to release.
It honestly doesn't really matter, just an odd thing I noticed. The game release at 2pm for the devs so maybe they just found that time more convenient.
Fuck it, bought this on the PS5. I've been trying to minimize my spending, but I really need a fun game to play and take my mind off things. Boy this UI is a mess, though. I think I'm downloading the PS5 version now.

Looks like the game is unlocking at some bizarre time? It's already the 20th here. I just started working so I'm not in a huge hurry or anything like that, but I can't even remember the last Playstation release that didn't unlock at midnight.
The game will be released simultaneously at the selected regions and countries. And it's midnight somehwere.
Hitman 3 (digital) STILL isnt live yet man what the fuck
Six hours, huh. Weird, but I stop working around then so I guess it doesn't really matter to me.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hitman 3 releases in:

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For more context, there's really no reason whatsoever for online only to feature in the WOA's final instalment. The non-episodic launch approach has been in from 2, ET release schedules plus content went to shit for 2's maps, and multiplayer functionality was dropped during its lifespan.

Absolutely. I just assume it's so embedded at this point, that they're loathe to rock the boat for the final instalment, if that makes sense?

Can you tell I'm not a programmer? 😃

I do hope they sort it post-release, otherwise this'll be dead in the water in a few years. They managed to get offline working eventually, so I've no doubt it's possible and on the cards.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Hong Kong. Just heard from my shop and an saw on an online forum that the Asia version (PS4/PS5) has been delayed to 1st Feb. Don't know how reliable the news is, but it's not showing up at any shops, not even the HK PS store. I'm guessing it's the same for Singapore.

That sucks. Was going to grab it on day 1. But now I might just wait for the inevitable trilogy pack.

Ah damn, I guess I'm going digital later.

As for the PS Store:

(For PS4 and PS5 owners in Asia, please note that HITMAN 3 will not be available for pre-order or pre-load. This is due to recent changes in the age ratings systems in those regions. HITMAN 3 will be available for purchase at the above time.)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
PCGamer review says there are only 3 mission stories on most levels. Obviously, Hitman's replayability doesn't come from mission levels only but still a bit disappointing.

"In the other levels there are, surprisingly, only three Mission Stories per map, compared to an average of about ten in the previous two games' levels."
Edit. I'm wrong as F

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
There were normally 3 on each level in Hitman 1 and 2, so I'm not sure what they are thinking about here
Nah, there were around 6 or so.

Here's a list of all of them:
hitman.fandom.com

Mission Stories

Mission Stories, (previously known as Opportunities in HITMAN™), are one of the gameplay features showcased through various missions in the World of Assassination. Mission Stories are optional guided paths, which help assist the player in the completion of mission objectives, but can also simply...

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I posted it 7 hours ago

Nah, there were around 6 or so.

Here's a list of all of them:
hitman.fandom.com

Mission Stories

Mission Stories, (previously known as Opportunities in HITMAN™), are one of the gameplay features showcased through various missions in the World of Assassination. Mission Stories are optional guided paths, which help assist the player in the completion of mission objectives, but can also simply...
woah, that's so weird. I had it in my head only 3 were only screen. weird.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Not the same, there will be a separate web (or a new section for that one) where you, manually, will say that you want to transfer the progress from H2 to H3.

From the FAQ:
The carryover process requires an IOI Account and can only be done through a web browser, it's not possible to do it in-game. We will have the website ready to go before launch, but it is not live yet. Once it is ready, we will share the news via ioi.dk and update this post.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's just to their regular account and has been up for years.

The specific transfer page is not up yet.

That's the page to connect your IO account to Epic, Stadia and Nintendo Switch, It's dated 2021.
It shows you when they first saw you in each game, I'm sure it will be on this page.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
Should I just reset my progress for Hitman 3? I have most everything unlocked, but I want to experience the progression again. The games felt a lot more challenging when I didn't have 18 different types of explosive rubber duckies to pick from.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Really excited to finally be able to Platinum a World of Assassination Hitman game! I'll be waiting to start the game until I'm done with Deus Ex MD (I still have to do the Breach part), but this is going to be my game for quite a while...

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
woah, that's so weird. I had it in my head only 3 were only screen. weird.
You might be thinking of Hitman 2's results screen. In that game, after giving you your score, the game told you something like "Experience other paths in the level, here are some stories we recommend you to do", and put on the screen three random stories for you to try out.

Here's an example (29:03)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Should I just reset my progress for Hitman 3? I have most everything unlocked, but I want to experience the progression again. The game is a lot more challenging when you don't have 18 different types of explosive rubber duckies to pick from.
I was tempted to do the same
1: Because it will be be a 2nd chance to get a glitched Achievement in H1
2. It would give me an excuse to replay all of the old maps too.

When the transfer happens I assume all the achievements are going to unlock if I've already mastered a bunch of levels?

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Did they finally redo the unlocks with Mk.II stickers?

Not a fan of so many duplicate items, but I can understand why. The Mk.III's are so much better and it would be criminal to see Mk. II's like they were in Hitman 2.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You might be thinking of Hitman 2's results screen. In that game, after giving you your score, the game told you something like "Experience other paths in the level, here are some stories we recommend you to do", and put on the screen three random stories for you to try out.

Here's an example (29:03)

I was thinking of this screen but totally had it in my head there were only 3 or 4 opportunities here. Obviously, I'm totally wrong!
maxresdefault.jpg

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I just noticed I have Hitman in EGS. I think I got it when it was for free. So I have Hitman 1 already and only need to get Hitman 3 then ?

Oct 27, 2017
FYI for anyone who cares about these things: Physical releases for console only have 50% of the actual locations on the disc. The final 3 missions are not playable unless you download a patch kind of like the Spyro release before it got reprinted.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for anyone who cares about these things: Physical releases for console only have 50% of the actual locations on the disc. The final 3 missions are not playable unless you download a patch kind of like the Spyro release before it got reprinted.
These sorts of things really make you wonder why they bother (still amazed that the latest CoD doesn't have the single player on the disc).
Was not this originally announced as a digital only release actually?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How was the HDR implementation in the first two games?
Getting mixed results in google search ...
The HDR in Hitman 2 absolutely sucked on my old TV. Everything that was supposed to be red turned hot pink and most other stuff just looked drab or washed out. It looked way better with HDR turned off. I bought an LG CX a couple months ago, and that improved the HDR in Hitman 2 a lot. It honestly looks stunning. And reds aren't pink anymore, haha.

So depending on the TV you own it'll either look stunning or awful.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Interested to hear the soundtrack. When the first game released in 2016 I was sceptical with Jesper Kyd not being involved, but man the music from Hitman 1&2 were fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
These sorts of things really make you wonder why they bother (still amazed that the latest CoD doesn't have the single player on the disc).
Was not this originally announced as a digital only release actually?
I think this one was always going to be a physical release. I believe it was Hitman 1 that was digital only at first. It seems to be a space issue for the most part as I think the disc has like 45GB on it when the full game is like 60-70GB. They could have split it up on 2 discs however, and the PS5 can use 100GB discs so there is really no excuse.

I do agree that it feels like they are just wasting people's time with a disc release if only half the game is on it.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The HDR in Hitman 2 absolutely sucked on my old TV. Everything that was supposed to be red turned hot pink and most other stuff just looked drab or washed out. It looked way better with HDR turned off. I bought an LG CX a couple months ago, and that improved the HDR in Hitman 2 a lot. It honestly looks stunning. And reds aren't pink anymore, haha.

So depending on the TV you own it'll either look stunning or awful.
Ah yeah, PC version of 2 is broken

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
So I just received my physical deluxe edition of Hitman 3 for PS5 and the copy was slightly unsealed from the side and the box closed crushing the papers that come inside, the thing is that the deluxe edition DLC is missing. :(

So, or the box was opened by someone and the code pulled or it was a manufacturing issue.

Either way, I'm super bummed.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I found out that Hitman 3 is published by Warner Bros in Japan and complete EGS exclusive, not for PS5 and XSX. I wish IO had mentioned this in the pre launch guide along with the explanation of the playstation version in Asia.
And now I know why I didn't get the answer when I asked IO about this in the twitter and such.

Anyway, these videos might help choosing the version between XSX and PS5? PS5 version's initial loading time for Dubai level is twice longer than XSX. This is comparable to Hitman 2 BC on PS5.
Hitman 3 Xbox Series X - Debut Gameplay time stamps 7:04~7:14

Hitman 3 (PS5) Gameplay 4K HDR 60FPS time stamps 0:03~0:25

Last edited: