• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Steam is the only one to get a game people seem fine yet not when Epic does, keep that same energy. To me fuck both steam and epic since they are drm and anti consumer.

Oh look another in the series of "DURRRRRR IF YOU EXCLUDE ALL THE WAYS THEY ARE DIFFERENT THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME"

Steam DRM is entirely optional, Steam do not buy exclusives, stop talking absolute garbage.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I understand the reasoning behind IO doing this but I'm not a fan of this decision regardless.

I'll wait for a eventual steam release.
A pity, I've become a fan with 2 and might have bought it at launch otherwise.

Maybe VR will be part of the package once it hits steam though.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess I'm finally downloading the Epic Games launcher. I've had an account since they launched the store and have been claiming the free games, but hadn't bothered installing the launcher. Hitman 1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever so I'll do anything to support IOI. Dartmoor looks amazing, too. The concept of a murder mystery level just sounds so fun and intriguing.

The big question for me is whether saves and progress on the EGS version will transfer to the Steam version when it's released. I know they keep our online saves on their servers, so I hope it's possible.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garbage move. Hitman is one of my favorite series, so it's going to be wild to sit out on a new game for a year, but I'll do it.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I will never understand the EGS hate. I love steam, but don't mind using EGS. IO needs to get paid and if this move helped fund Hitman 3, then good for everyone involved.

I'm with you on this. I like EGS way more than other PC launchers like Origin and UPlay. They've given away a ton of good games. I don't like these exclusive deals but as you said IO could use the cash. As long as I can bring my progress from Steam I'm good.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
eh, i'll just wait i think. i already own 1 and 2 on steam, don't really like the idea of having 3 in a completely different place.

would've bought day 1 too

Last edited:

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Their Twitch stream is going to be a shitstorm next week.

Checked and you can import progress so it's fine by me then.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the EGS Store and any exclusive, I might get this in a year or longer now or maybe never,

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see the overlap of people who hate EGS buying exclusives but equally support them in their case against Apple.

I tried to get into Hitman on the Xbox but struggled to get sucked in, I'll definitely download this on EGS and give it another go although I'm not convinced I have the patience for the approach some missions require.

senbon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super happy that IOI will get paid, but I'll pass on it until 2022. Can't wait! At least it'll be patched once it arrives on Steam.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility; Previous Infractions of the Same
The same reason posts like "Fuck EGS" with no additional context are allowed.

people have opinions, you may hate how Epic does things, others are more accepting of what they do. Stop trying to silence other peoples opinions.
Na the fuck EGS make sense, the bootlicking for egs and pretending steam is bad are doing nothing of value.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't Epic say they'd stop doing this like 5 or 6 high profile exclusives ago

They might need a more steady source of exclusive income before they stop. Didn't it "only" get them ~$230 million last year, excluding Fortnite? At the rate its selling, Fall Guys might be on track to match that EGS 2019 exclusive revenue by itself.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The same reason posts like "Fuck EGS" with no additional context are allowed.

people have opinions, you may hate how Epic does things, others are more accepting of what they do. Stop trying to silence other peoples opinions.
That guy is literally saying that steam is paying for exclusives. And that steam is equal to EGS.

How is lying an opinion?

(edit) also how do you have a discussion in a forum when the person you are talking to is ignoring reality?

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Assholes. I mean Epic, I understand IO taking the cash a little more but even then I dislike that choice from them.

I'll play Hitman 3 in 2022 then and please don't let VR stay exclusive to Playstation as well.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They might need a more steady source of exclusive income before they stop. Didn't it "only" get them ~$230 million last year, excluding Fortnite? At the rate its selling, Fall Guys might be on track to match that EGS 2019 exclusive revenue by itself.

Not for them. For 3rd parties. 230 millions of dollars was the revenue generated FOR the 3rd party devs.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Cool! Hopefully the game is good. I really liked what I played from Hitman (I didn't get Hitman 2, only tried the first level with the House).

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
IO deserves a good payday for Hitman. The first two games werw great, but didnt too well in sales, so I understand their decision to go the Epic route.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love Hitman. Bought both games day 0. But I will not support EGS and devs who take their exclusivity deals. As far as I'm concerned they got their crunch money from Tim so they don't need mine.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, all I care about is IO getting the money they deserve. If this was a sweet deal then good for them.

(If i had bought the games on PC and there was no import, I'd be understandably pissed. There has to be an import, right?)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make sense, SteamVR can be used without Steam. It's a separate entity. You can release a GOG game with SteamVR.

Tetris Effect uses SteamVR on EGS.

And you can also use the Oculus SDK on Steam obviously. Stores are not a factor in the developer's decision to use a closed, one brand only SDK vs an open standard that supports every headset ;)

Oh. Well that is unfortunate.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
That guy is literally saying that steam is paying for exclusives. And that steam is equal to EGS.

How is lying an opinion?

(edit) also how do you have a discussion in a forum when the person you are talking to is ignoring reality?
I good amount of people answer to that is either to then ignore those topic, or even leave Era.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
When Steam is the only one to get a game people seem fine yet not when Epic does, keep that same energy. To me fuck both steam and epic since they are drm and anti consumer.

Steam is arguably the industry leader in features and quality of service so I think it makes sense that most people are happy with a Steam release.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... the EGS hate is way overblown here.

Yes of course only people here are mad at Epic. Everywhere you go online you'll see people get mad at Epic deals as well the EPIC apologists who either refuse to understand or dismiss the concerns of a large portion of the community. And it's still this way about 1.5 years after their store launched and Epic's store is barely in people's minds outside the free games they give constantly or when controversies like this arise. I feel like this deal specifically for Hitman is the biggest AAA title they've had in some time and I feel they only managed to snag it as a timed exclusive because IO is in a poor situation at the moment.

Whereas Steam has continued to thrive since the launch of EGS and has had huge breakout successes this year alone with games like Persona, Fall Guys, and Sea of Thieves selling like hotcakes, despite one of those titles having been available on Gamepass. Not to mention titles that were exclusive to EGS temporarily arriving on Steam to bigger success like Satisfactory and Hades. EPIC still has not convinced me that they have any vision for how to make a space for them in the PC market and I think they'll continue to be a shitty application that's primarily used to redeem free shit.

On topic though; wasn't really dying for this one, so I can easily wait longer to purchase it when it released on Steam if I'm interested then.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
While I usually prefer Steam mostly for an OCD aesthetic, I am glad that IO will be able to keep the lights on with this deal. Don't understand the vitriol when these kinds of deals help really help smaller publishers/devs stay in business especially when the world economy is heading off a cliff. Any stability for smaller studio houses is a good thing in my book.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

1. Valve has never paid a dev to withold their game from a specific competitor.
2. DRM on both Steam and EGS are completely optional. It's a choice the devs and publishers themselves make. I bought Outer Wilds from EGS, because you don't ever need to use their client for that game, after the first download.