• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
HITMAN3_Key_Art_date-768x432.jpg

HITMAN 3 will be released on 20th January 2021 for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, Stadia and PC (via Epic Games Store).

Yes, we're doing a next-gen upgrade for consoles and yes, it's free. Console players can buy (including pre-order) a digital edition of HITMAN 3 on the current generation of platforms and receive a free upgrade to the next-gen version of the game for no additional cost.

To break that down a bit more, here's how it'll work: On PlayStation, when you buy a digital PS4 version of HITMAN 3 from the PlayStation Store, you can download the PS5 version at no extra cost when it launches. On Xbox, HITMAN 3 leverages Smart Delivery allowing access to both the Xbox One title and Xbox Series X title when available.

We're creating two editions of HITMAN 3; The Standard Edition and the Deluxe Edition.

– The Standard Edition includes the HITMAN 3 base game. Nice and simple.
– The Deluxe Edition includes the HITMAN 3 base game and the Deluxe Pack. Again, nice and simple.

The only difference between the two editions is the Deluxe Pack, which includes Deluxe Escalations, in-game items and suits as well as digital soundtracks and more. This is everything that's packed into the HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pre-order/

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I own the PS4 releases of the two previous hitman games, what do I need to do to import them into my PS5 release of Hitman 3? Do I need to buy the PS4 release of H3, then upgrade to the PS5 release, or can I simply buy the PS5 release directly?

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If I own the PS4 releases of the two previous hitman games, what do I need to do to import them into my PS5 release of Hitman 3? Do I need to buy the PS4 release of H3, then upgrade to the PS5 release, or can I simply buy the PS5 release directly?

They haven't detailed the exact process yet but going directly to PS5 should work. Be weird if they didn't allow it.

If I own 1 and 2 physically will it still carryover to Hitman 3 if I buy digital?

It should. Going digital to physical between 1 and 2 worked at least.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, zero reason if they are going to do it digitally, it can't be done on the physical release outside deliberately pushing towards digital. Scummy.

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, it's a day one purchase for me. Do they have plans for later DLC levels like with Hitman 2? The Deluxe version does not mention anything.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The only difference between the two editions is the Deluxe Pack, which includes Deluxe Escalations, in-game items and suits as well as digital soundtracks and more. This is everything that's packed into the HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition:

What?

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
i imagine what all this free next gen update for digital owners only mean for physical media BC

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they say "when available" when it's launching the same day on current and next-gen?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Sweet! That's also inauguration day in the US. Should be a great day for all.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think xbox works with digital and physical as its using smart delivery and it only says digital on the ps version

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready for more Hitman. Really one of the shining gems of this generation. Easily some of my favrouite experiences and just so much game in each entry.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Like how do people even imagine physical next gen upgrades??

The way all crossgen titles that are offering upgrades are doing it? Just keep the PS4/Xbox One disc inserted and have the next gen version downloaded, and you just have to keep the disc. Not hard.

Yes, exactly that... Or not on further inspection, seems to only affect CE's. Remembered that wrong.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/co...ns-still-offer-physical-or-digital-uk.272127/

Yeah, I was about to say, I thought that was wrong.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for more Hitman. Really one of the shining gems of this generation. Easily some of my favrouite experiences and just so much game in each entry.
Honestly, after Hitman 3, now that they are self-publishing, I really hope that they go back to the episodic release format of the first game. It's just so perfect for both pacing and discussion. One map is released, the player plays it a lot, does everything. Then they go online and just talk about it with everyone. Then 6 or so weeks later, a new map is released. Repeat.

I miss the discussions prompted by that format.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit digital only?

Between this, digital only consoles at launch, high sales share, and the way next gen upgrades for games are being handled, really feels like this gen is going to be a turning point.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why are you happy about the removal of choice and ownership?

Same weirdos that praise the removal of the headphone jack. Fuck knows.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, after Hitman 3, now that they are self-publishing, I really hope that they go back to the episodic release format of the first game. It's just so perfect for both pacing and discussion. One map is released, the player plays it a lot, does everything. Then they go online and just talk about it with everyone. Then 6 or so weeks later, a new map is released. Repeat.

I miss the discussions prompted by that format.

Fully agree with that. I loved the episodic release of Hitman 1. Definitely encouraged me to squeeze out the max from each episode rather than just picking a favourite and playing that more than the others.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why are you happy about the removal of choice and ownership?

hey I was just doing the same as all those threads/post with people praising physical copies.. most of the time they despise digital games..

of course it should be both ... choice is and always will be king.. but personally I have long ago abandoned physical games..

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hey I was just doing the same as all those threads/post with people praising physical copies.. most of the time they despise digital games..

of course it should be both ... choice is and always will be king.. but personally I have long ago abandoned physical games..

Well I don't care for digital content except convenience, doesn't mean I want it to go away. It has its benefits. I also hope it never becomes the only way to buy movies or games. That would be boring and limiting.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Escalations are challenge missions that add in more objectives when you complete them. Think of them as a challenge mode based on existing stages and locations. They're not something to worry about missing if you don't want those versions.

I definitely know what Escalations are, but Deluxe ones?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting, the deluxe version doesnt come with a season pass, unlike the Gold edition for Hitman 2. I wonder if that means they will just sell it separately, or will they be no season pass?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Fully agree with that. I loved the episodic release of Hitman 1. Definitely encouraged me to squeeze out the max from each episode rather than just picking a favourite and playing that more than the others.
I'm considering getting Hitman 3 at launch as long as it's episodic. I feel like I missed out on the original in that regard, as I didn't purchase it until all of the episodes were already out, thinking I'd prefer to just binge my way through them. I barely played it. I more recently purchased the content I was missing for Hitman 2 and played through the content for both 1 and 2 for the first time, and I just kind of feel that the flexibility of the game was sort of lost on me. I felt no compulsion to play through missions more than once, and my lack of patience more or less resulted in every mission involving me waiting for a decent shot to open up so I could attempt an escape and wait for everything to settle down. I want to experience 3 as it's released if it's episodic like the original, just to see if that affects how I end up playing it.