• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Just bought both I haven't played Hitman since PS2 now to decide to play now or wait till 3 is out.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I don't think you need to install them, but I could be wrong. It just needs to know you've purchased them/verify your license, which should be automatic.

I installed just the base game of Hitman 1 (with none of the DLC levels) and I am pretty sure you need to do that at a minimum to get to the menu to redeem the DLC levels for Hitman 2, no idea if Hitman 3 will also look for this DLC (this is specifically on PlayStation)

Due to the amount of DLC's and different versions floating around this is all a bit of a nightmare to work out.

Like...look at this mess:

518c898e65dd74282b0d14f111f58de958bf082b.png

I really do appreciate the effort to bring forward the old content however a lot of this isn't exactly intuitive.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
For those who were wondering, You don't need to redownload Hitman 1 to get that content to transfer to Hitman 2.

I bought Hitman 1 ages ago and haven't had it installed for a long time, and when I downloaded Hitman 2 it automatically started downloading the first game's campaign. If you've never installed Hitman 1 I'm not sure if that requires a download.

It was a little confusing since when I went to it it said "Get Access" on most of the level (and I made sure to get the Hitman 1 complete edition), but it downloads the levels in order so once the first level+cutscene finishes, the next one starts.

I did need to back out of the intro cutscene for 2 since it sounded like it was about to start recapping the plot of the first game, haha.

DJDoubleCream

Oct 28, 2017
It is extremely confusing.. I'm hoping when we start up 3 it will be pick up the 1 and 2 levels and then we can uninstall them and just use hitman 3

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I installed just the base game of Hitman 1 (with none of the DLC levels) and I am pretty sure you need to do that at a minimum to get to the menu to redeem the DLC levels for Hitman 2, no idea if Hitman 3 will also look for this DLC (this is specifically on PlayStation)

Due to the amount of DLC's and different versions floating around this is all a bit of a nightmare to work out.

Like...look at this mess:

518c898e65dd74282b0d14f111f58de958bf082b.png

I really do appreciate the effort to bring forward the old content however a lot of this isn't exactly intuitive.

the real winners are the people who buy 1 $35 thing in 2 years that had all of everything together

steps to redeeming the legacy DLC
OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the process on Xbox is the same as that on Playstation, here's what you need to do:

1. Install all of Hitman 2016 on your Xbox
2. Install all of Hitman 2 on your Xbox
3. Redeem the DLC Legacy Pack for Hitman 2 (this includes the levels of H2016 for H2). You do this by going either in the main menu of H2016 or H2 (I forget which). There will be a card lable "redeem legacy pack" or something like it.
4. You will now possess the H2016 levels for H2
5. Install this DLC legacy pack
6. (optional) delete H2016 from your hard drive
7. On Hitman 3's release date, install it on your Xbox, and (presumably) repeat step 3 for Hitman 3.

The reason you need to do this is because Hitman 3 can only import content from Hitman 2. It can't read anything from H2016. So you have to import H2016's levels from H2.

Apr 28, 2020
How do most of you play Hitman 1 and 2? I mean in the sense that, is it better to just play through the missions one time, then go back and try to do them in different ways? Or do you all try to complete the missions using all the variations before moving on?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do most of you play Hitman 1 and 2? I mean in the sense that, is it better to just play through the missions one time, then go back and try to do them in different ways? Or do you all try to complete the missions using all the variations before moving on?
This varies from person to person. My process is staying on one level until I reach level 20 (which unlocks everything), then moving on to the next level. Doing every single challenge is too much for me; that's something reserved for a latter playthrough. On the other hand, reaching level 20 is fairly easy because you mostly need to follow the "mission stories" to farm XP.

DJDoubleCream

Oct 28, 2017
If the process on Xbox is the same as that on Playstation, here's what you need to do:

1. Install all of Hitman 2016 on your Xbox
2. Install all of Hitman 2 on your Xbox
3. Redeem the DLC Legacy Pack for Hitman 2 (this includes the levels of H2016 for H2). You do this by going either in the main menu of H2016 or H2 (I forget which). There will be a card lable "redeem legacy pack" or something like it.
4. You will now possess the H2016 levels for H2
5. Install this DLC legacy pack
6. (optional) delete H2016 from your hard drive
7. On Hitman 3's release date, install it on your Xbox, and (presumably) repeat step 3 for Hitman 3.

The reason you need to do this is because Hitman 3 can only import content from Hitman 2. It can't read anything from H2016. So you have to import H2016's levels from H2.

Awesome. That's a really well written guide, thanks 👍

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

the games should have stayed episodic - they work best by taking 1 level and really digging into it before moving on

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I turn off all the mission stories stuff and tend to explore a map looking for a way to get a silent assassin (SA) ranking. Once I've got it down, I move on to the next level and repeat.

When I've completed every level with an SA, I'll start digging in to individual levels and working through challenges, master difficulty runs, and suit only runs.

That's just me though.

the games should have stayed episodic - they work best by taking 1 level and really digging into it before moving on

You can still do that.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Booted up Hitman 2 to get used to the controls/mechanics again ahead of 3 and realised I had never done either the Patient Zero mission or the 2 DLC missions for 2.

Started doing Patient Zero tonight and found the female target in the very first mission seriously difficult. She ran off and just hid in an area of the garden after I offed the guy (in private which no-one saw so I don't know why that triggered her to go there) but then that area of the garden is damn near impossible to infiltrate apart from one specific entrance right at the back. I must have spent about half an hour figuring out how to get to her. And then I just unceremoniously knifed her lol.

On a sidenote, playing this on Series X it looks fantastic, much better than I remembered. I'm sure it helps that Series X can deal with both high quality mode and unlocked frame-rate simultaneously but it still looks better than I remember. The lighting maybe? My recollection was that the game was quite plain looking for the most part but it's really pretty in places, certainly the first part of the mission being set at night probably helped.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Hey that's very sweet of you :) I'm on ps4 though and in Sweden, if that sort of thing matters.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I don't know personally, but Kotaku always promotes their sales on PlayStation Plus and PC games so I would assume so.
I want to know this as well. Why is the PS5 Deluxe version $8 cheaper than the PS4 Deluxe version on PSN? I thought you got the PS4 version for free if you buy the PS5 version. In the summary of the PS5 Deluxe Version on the PSN store, it does not say you get the PS4 version for free. What it does say is that if you buy he PS4 version, you get the PS5 version for free.

I'm confused. Please help!
Earlier in the thread there was a link to the PlayStation blog that said they're including PS4 version with PS5 version and vice versa.
I have Hitman 2 via PS Now downloaded copy...will I be able to import into Hitman 3? I searched in here but found nothing.
I don't think that would work since you wouldn't actually own the license the same way as if you bought it or obtained it through PlayStation Plus.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if already answered, but I already have H1 from the Epic Store freebie. If I buy H2 with a Steam key, is it possible to still play the H1 levels in the H2 client?

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
AuthenticM thanks for creating the thread, it made me remember that I actually own Hitman 1 from PS Plus. Downloaded it this evening and after spending two hours just on the training levels, I'm in love with it. Never played a Hitman game before so I'm really looking forward to digging into the "actual" levels.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I imagine the recommended settings for the Mission stories/Opportunities is Minimal/Off to fully enjoy the game, right?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I also own Hitman 1 from PS Plus well I thought I did. Its just the training levels and everything else is locked. Is that all there is to the PS Plus version or am I missing something???

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Probably will pick up the 2nd game (and then the 3rd) at a later time, while I dive into the 1st game more since I got it free on EGS.

I actually just finished the Paris mission to try it out, and yeah, think I will dig this series. :D

Pimz

Jul 3, 2018
AuthenticM thanks for creating the thread, it made me remember that I actually own Hitman 1 from PS Plus. Downloaded it this evening and after spending two hours just on the training levels, I'm in love with it. Never played a Hitman game before so I'm really looking forward to digging into the "actual" levels.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I imagine the recommended settings for the Mission stories/Opportunities is Minimal/Off to fully enjoy the game, right?
I enjoy it much more with opportunities disabled. It felt like I was just following waypoints, figuring everything out myself is a big part of the fun in this game. However it might be helpful to play 1 or 2 opportunities in Paris to get the hang of it. I thought Paris was quite overwhelming after the training missions.

Oct 29, 2017
Worth noting that, even though I bought the Hitman 2 GOTY, I still had to go in and manually download/add to my library a number of Hitman 2 add-on's.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: please disregard, I'll just throw more money at IOI now and play some H2 in anticipation of H3 :D

OK fam, sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but...

For PS5, I already redeemed the H2016 Legacy pack within Hitman 2 (using the "free starter pack.") Can I simply buy the full Hitman 2 Gold to unlock those levels in Hitman 3, or will I have to first install H2 (or have both H2 and H3 installed simultaneously) in order to unlock everything?

Sad about losing all my PC unlocks, but I can live without giving Epic money and just replay everything again on Playstation (and at 4K with HDR.)

Last edited:

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I purchased long ago the free Hitman 2 on PS4 and imported all of H1 into it. I never purchased the H2 campaigns or anything. If I go into that H2 will it show all the campaigns etc on sale also?

If not, if I buy the gold edition, how does that work with the free one I have?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I feel like the game is designed around being able to see NPCs though. Is it feasible to get good ratings in the missions without them?

it is feasible if you memorize NPC patrol patterns and know which disguises allow access in specific places.

also, ur rating doesn't matter unless you care about leaderboard rankings. all that matters is completing challenges for mastery points that allow u to level up for new gadgets and starting locations/disguises.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think it depends on the experience that you want, personally, I like playing the story missions first- as these often give you an overall idea of how the level you are on works, what some of the key areas are and how to get into them.

Some of the levels are so sprawling they are daunting, for me, the enjoyment comes from knowing them well and finding all of the stuff that comes after those very crafted, setpiece missions

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
it is feasible if you memorize NPC patrol patterns and know which disguises allow access in specific places.

also, ur rating doesn't matter unless you care about leaderboard rankings. all that matters is completing challenges for mastery points that allow u to level up for new gadgets and starting locations/disguises.

Rating absolutely matters, it is a score based game after all. Being able to complete levels with silent assassin is a huge reason people play.

While it is possible to get those with npc radar off, it might put a lot of people off when most of their games turn to shoot outs.

I'd recommend leaving it on until you're more familiar with the level.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Rating absolutely matters, it is a score based game after all. Being able to complete levels with silent assassin is a huge reason people play.

While it is possible to get those with npc radar off, it might put a lot of people off when most of their games turn to shoot outs.

I'd recommend leaving it on until you're more familiar with the level.

it really doesn't unless u care about leaderboards. after getting the SA & Sniper Assassin challenges on a level, i could care less about what rating i get because it doesn't matter. all that matters is completing the other challenges. playing stealthy only makes it easier/faster to complete the other challenges.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
AuthenticM

Yes, although I would recommend that people brand new to the series have opportunities turned on at least for the first couple of tries on the tutorial missions just to grasp how things work. Hitman plays in a very particular way that, in my experience, some newcomers can find hard to grasp. Opportunities help to show what it is possible and how you should try to play.

Once you understand how Hitman works, turn that shit off. It's at its best when you're exploring the levels yourself and trying to piece together how you can use the elements in the level to get a particular result. Opportunities ruin all this by not only spelling it all out but telling you exactly where to go, at which point you're not thinking for yourself. It reduces the game to following waypoints like a sheep.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I finish all the mission stories for a level first, since its pretty guided thats easy. Finishing all of them usually gives you an item you can use on any level. Usually by then I've completed all the targets as well, I exit level and get the cutscene on the last mission story. Then if I'm close to level mastery 20, I'll do a couple more challenges to get to that. They unlock as soon as you do them, so you don't need to finish the level or anything. Save scum liberally, saving at good points so you can knock out a bunch of challenges just by reloading.

Lastly I'll just check if any challenges award items, and if the item looks neat I'll try to finish. Then I move on to the next level. I usually have used up every save slot every level, and overwrite them all next level.

I did eventually go back and 100% every level on xbox, but for my PS5 playthrough I'll wait until all the levels are imported into Hitman 3 and only do that after I have completed the campaign. I have been playing with all hints off on PS5 so its taking a LOT longer to finish everything, since its pretty easy to fuck up with no hints on.

I still haven't played much at Mastery level, so once I 100% everything at Professional in Hitman 3 I can still go through and do everything in Pro mode, which is gonna be a ton of extra hours since you can't save scum.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly fascinated by the way they've handled the series, where you can basically have the whole thing isntalled and accessible through the latest game. It's so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.