• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Is it just me or is the Sniper Assassin mode just not fun to play through? I'm trying to complete all the challenges and the most annoying thing is trying to aim at these distant targets while holding down the right mouse button constantly, it's maddening when they're on an escape run.

In the main game, sniping (apart from detection issues here and there) isn't a hassle because 47's mobile and NPCs/targets at most, move at a walking pace. Would like IOI to either allow for sniper aiming as a toggle, or separate aim and camera movement sensitivities.
It took me a few runs to really grasp the mode-at first my experience was like yours, but over time I came to understand better how it all works, how to keep bodies hidden, the rhythm of the mode, etc. now I find I can pretty consistently taking down runners in one shot (though honestly, it's rare that they even get to run now). The less I rush the more fun I have.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
The big gameplay change so far is that dumping bodies is now a HOLD action instead of a press. Probably fixes a variety of bugs

OMG I thought I was going crazy yesterday b/c I couldn't remember if it was always that way. I swore it wasnt but I didnt read it in the patch notes.
It is slightly more annoying this way though.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Man, they keep giving us these awesome winter suits and we have only one wintry level to use them on.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone on Steam in the US/Canada have access to the winter sports pack yet? I have the standard edition with the expansion pass, but the winter sports pack is not showing up.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Getting the target to consume the emetic poison is a pain in the ass when the director eats from the same snack bowl on his rotation.

Edit: And hey, apparently now it's a crime to follow a target into the bathroom as they vomit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
As for the Snow Festival target, I agree with everyone, it seemed a little...shallow. It's almost like it would have been a great first target, since within 10 minutes, you can do all of the challenges, and it seems trivially easy once you've gone through the game. But, if it was a first time target, it'd teach you about:
1 - emetic poison being a great way to isolate a target for drowning;
2 - sinks being an easy distraction and/or way to electrocute;
3 - watching a target's pattern to see accidental death opportunities;
etc.

As it was, I read the descriptions and immediately knew the solutions. I was hoping the routing would cause a few challenges on how to set up the kills, but nope, it was just all as straightforward as you'd think.

Getting the target to consume the emetic poison is a pain in the ass when the director eats from the same snack bowl on his rotation.

Edit: And hey, apparently now it's a crime to follow a target into the bathroom as they vomit.
A few things:
1 - If you start in the restaurant and go immediately to the snack bowl, just wait for the kitchen staff to turn away, and poison it. The target will consume it first.
2 - I always thought that it was weird you could follow someone into a bathroom without getting noticed.
3 - That said, what's strange is the first time I poisoned him for the electrocution, I followed him inside with no problem. When I did it again, the bodyguard followed me in and immediately started shooting. Not sure what the difference of sightlines was.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Does the target in Hokkaido festival not have any dialogue? I like to follow ETs around and usually they have funny inner monologues but this one just did a sort of "flex" pose in the bathroom mirror and stared at the snow statue but never really talked.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Does the target in Hokkaido festival not have any dialogue? I like to follow ETs around and usually they have funny inner monologues but this one just did a sort of "flex" pose in the bathroom mirror and stared at the snow statue but never really talked.
He takes a phone call at one point, I imagine there is dialogue there. I didn't hear any myself because I wasn't close enough, I had to keep out of a guard's LOS.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
As simple as it is, I don't mind them using small missions like this for seasonal stuff, although I would appreciate it not being timed. The challenges being classic assassination stuff is preferable to Holiday Hoarders running around collecting presents and waiting for randomly spawning Santa.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bd3355f14064ae09b16d807f7e82c939e368439a.jpeg

Nice :D

( you can now use any exit in the main Colorado mission)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
"ensures you will fit right in at any ski-themed event"

expansion location tease? :D
I'd be game for a ski town or resort. Chalets, wood fires, gondolas, ski jump accidents, maybe breaking the ice on a frozen lake or sabotaging a snowmobile, etc. But could also see it just being a costume tied to the event we just did through weather only and not actually pointing to a future map.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to get that trophy for doing Sniper Assassin in multiplayer but matchmaking found no one after looking for ages. I'm not surprised but I'm going to assume that mode is pretty dead

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to get that trophy for doing Sniper Assassin in multiplayer but matchmaking found no one after looking for ages. I'm not surprised but I'm going to assume that mode is pretty dead
I made a friend play with me after not finding anyone through matchmaking, maybe someone in this thread can help, it takes like 2 minutes to do. I'd do it but I'm on xbox.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I found a partner once within a minute, but my game froze while connecting lol

I finally took a run at Sgail ahead of this elusive (grrr). Maybe my least favorite level. Just like Japan it feels too oppressive and the challenge starts to push past the fun. It's an interesting idea for a level, a secret society party is full on. Maybe too much.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I finally took a run at Sgail ahead of this elusive (grrr). Maybe my least favorite level. Just like Japan it feels too oppressive and the challenge starts to push past the fun. It's an interesting idea for a level, a secret society party is full on. Maybe too much.

I feel like Hokkaido it works as a final level by being more challenging, even if it makes it slightly less fun to do other stuff on.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I just started Sgail two days ago and it feels more like Colorado to me where "zones" split suddenly and without warning and people react weirdly. Like I was one of the Chairmen or whatever the guys at the top are with double masks, wandered into a room and all the guards started shooting at me. Especially after how light, breezy, and "fun" the previous level was, Sgail is definitely oppressive and feels a bit too compartmentalized maybe. I wish the Indiana Jones vibe, the "penthouse", and the "side mansion" were fitted in better.

It is absolutely massive though, and there are absolutely fascinating bits of dialogue about future plans of this secret society and I loved that stuff, wish it was incorporated into the level/story a bit more. Unlike Miami or Mumbai where I felt a bit more integrated into the level, in Sgail I always felt like an outsider not doing anything really other than stalking.

Also feels like "your helper" wasn't really tied into the level at all and I wonder if they wanted to do more with that but just didn't have the time.

Last edited:

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I love Hokkaido but my complaint about it has always been that it is way too easy. A little bit of an overcorrection from Colorado.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I love Hokkaido but my complaint about it has always been that it is way too easy. A little bit of an overcorrection from Colorado.

Why do you think that? I don't have a problem with it, but to me, the pre-Level 20 experience is the perfect correction of Colorado's police state flaws:
  • No starting gear
  • Location is secured by door cards (not locks!)
  • One of the targets is in a highly secure, highly visible operating room
  • Outfits have very strict access rules.
  • The two RFID bypass methods are both highly secure and require detailed steps to obtain. (Master Difficulty removes one of them, too!)
Hokkaido is the perfect Season finisher level, in my mind, because it tightly defines a 47 prison: one where you start in comfort and safety, but also one where all of your objectives lay on the other side of the fence, and then leaves you to slowly and methodically chip away to cross it. (If I had a criticism it would only be that it could fit a third target - I think if there's anything S1 and S2 teach us, it's that 1 is too few, 4 is too many, and 2-3 is just right based on the map scale.)

Sgail feels a bit weaker to me because that safety zone is extremely frail and not well communicated. It's not really a prison, but a party you weren't invited to. That has its own charm, too, but when you're "doors" are almost entirely armed guards and trespassing zones instead of lock-and-key, you're trading off problem-solving for costume management. (Kinda like how Colorado has so many similar disguises that nonetheless gate the areas)

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
It's too easy because you can easily slip into the morgue and
shoot Soders' heart (and the video recorder is right next to it)
. In fact, the first time I played the map, I SASO'd it without even attempting to, which took a bit of the thrill out of it. (And I assure you, I suck at Hitman lol)

If you removed that opportunity, it becomes a much more difficult and balanced level - and it's a genuine challenge to infiltrate Soders' operating room. My suspicion is that IO saw how much difficulty players had with Colorado and made sure to include an easy escape valve.

Otherwise, I completely agree with all your points -- I love the compactness and clear/strict access rules of each zone. All the Yuki opportunities are very easy and provide clean/unseen hits. A third target or objective would have been a welcome wrinkle.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
It's too easy because you can easily slip into the morgue and
shoot Soders' heart (and the video recorder is right next to it)
. In fact, the first time I played the map, I SASO'd it without even attempting to, which took a bit of the thrill out of it. (And I assure you, I suck at Hitman lol)

I see what you mean, but I feel like the Hitman 2 difficulty system resolved that?
  • Professional: The security computer and heart are on other ends of the hall with two guards per room, plus the surgeons. Your timing needs to impeccable to shoot the heart and not put the level into lockdown.

• Master: Every room has a patrolling guard in addition to the guards in the target rooms, and silenced gunshots are heard within the same room. It's probably safer to clean out the main OR and shoot the computer from there rather than from the long hall. You can still shoot the heart but you need the mood controller to do it safely.
All of that being said, I am surprised that the glass in the morgue is not bulletproof. The surgery OR external glass is bulletproof, so it's kind of a surprising omission.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I see what you mean, but I feel like the Hitman 2 difficulty system resolved that?
  • Professional: The security computer and heart are on other ends of the hall with two guards per room, plus the surgeons. Your timing needs to impeccable to shoot the heart and not put the level into lockdown.

• Master: Every room has a patrolling guard in addition to the guards in the target rooms, and silenced gunshots are heard within the same room. It's probably safer to clean out the main OR and shoot the computer from there rather than from the long hall. You can still shoot the heart but you need the mood controller to do it safely.
All of that being said, I am surprised that the glass in the morgue is not bulletproof. The surgery OR external glass is bulletproof, so it's kind of a surprising omission.
If I'm not mistaken, there's a really easy way that involves taking out a guard or two in the room nearby the heart (there may be a furnace or something in it?), putting a crowbar in the door way so it doesn't auto close, then shooting the heart and leaving the way you came in? Memory is a bit foggy, but I remember it being one of the easiest Silent assassin, suit only missions if you knew how to pry the door open...

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Interesting. I played on Master a lot and couldn't find any way to shoot the heart without setting off combat, but maybe there's a way to game the camera-based firing?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Interesting. I played on Master a lot and couldn't find any way to shoot the heart without setting off combat, but maybe there's a way to game the camera-based firing?
I honestly don't remember exactly what I did, but it involved keeping the door open with an item (crowbar or pipe, I think) and placing a gun on the floor so a guard would notice it. It was definitely in Hitman 2 but maybe a patched changed the ai behaviour after? Can't find any videos that did it, but this one follows a similar overall direction? https://youtu.be/zpRf18-M1xM

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Sgail overall but thought it wasnt well balanced for Master SASO. I like to improvise them but it seemed there are only a couple of ways to do it if you dont wabba rip your hair out.
Also too many of the challenges in Sgail involve taking out the whole level to get something done.
But like Hokkaido, once you learn it, its fun even if it takes more work to get around

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I found an interesting use for the RFID explosive in Sapienza. Plant the explosive in the bin by the virus and put the RFID coin in the room with all the hazmat suits, behind the box so the hazmat guys don't take it. Destroy the virus and Franny will pick up the coin on her way in to inspect the scene. It takes a long time for her body to be found too, so it's possible to SA.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I honestly don't remember exactly what I did, but it involved keeping the door open with an item (crowbar or pipe, I think) and placing a gun on the floor so a guard would notice it. It was definitely in Hitman 2 but maybe a patched changed the ai behaviour after? Can't find any videos that did it, but this one follows a similar overall direction? https://youtu.be/zpRf18-M1xM

The youtuber gets very lucky in this video. The approach is backwards (so, not through the morgue) but it's basically

1. Lure out the Operating room guard
2. Do a double drop to get a guard to notice the weapon (timed exactly so the surgeon gets a guard from the heart room rather than the patrol)
3. Fire a gun (unsilenced!) exactly when there are no guards who can see it.
4. Run like hell to a hiding spot and hope everybody cools down.

Considering how sound propagation was patched I think reproducing this would take more than a few rehearsals. It's also very easy to mess up the drop because if the guard doesn't come forward far enough (or fast enough) you miss the time window. That being said the overall approach is sound and luring out the guard is a great alternative to the mood controller.

I wonder if the EMP charge works on the heart?

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
3 for 3 on elusive targets so far, short and messy.

Accidentally stumbled upon her in the same room as the book, swiftly lit her and two guards up with the silenced pistol then ran and came back when the smoke had settled to retrieve the book and the guards clothes then just strolled out of there.
I would have been more careful usually but the briefing mentioned she needed to be killed before she unveiled the art so I had to rush it just in case.
Love how tense these elusive targets are.

5:14 -1 Star

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Awww yeah, finally got 2000/2000 achievements! Gettin 100% of challenges in the sniper mission was by far the worst part, but it all kinda clicked at the end.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Awww yeah, finally got 2000/2000 achievements! Gettin 100% of challenges in the sniper mission was by far the worst part, but it all kinda clicked at the end.

Congrats! I just did all the sniper challenges last night too. And I actually even found someone via matchmaking (left it on for 17 mins). Like you said it only takes two minutes to do.
Although for me I now have the task of getting all the trophies for the legacy maps. Should be fun to replay them.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
How'd everyone do on the elusive target? I botched it; thought I had a window of opportunity to poison her, but I extremely did not. I made a run for it, but even if I had survived I still had to get the notebook.