• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
aNujjkH.png

2iLV7JP.png

The free Chirstmas event paid off!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
And tihs random indie game had over 200k peak:

https://steamcharts.com/app/308600

Gonna go ahead and assume that it was either an error on steam or it was bots idling for cards or something.

edit: Reading into it, it was mostly idlers for both hitman and this game for steam card drops.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Still fairly impressive considering lots of games do free weekends and don't get those numbers, assuming they're accurate. I hope this does well for IO.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So it's a useless stat considering the free level ? Hopefully IO did get some sales out of that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with it being a free weekend that's still pretty impressive guys. Tons of games have free weekends and don't end up getting near that amount of attention, especially in the middle of a Steam sale.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
What do I need to play this game? I remember the first one was strictly online. I have not followed Hitman since Blood Money (the last title I owned).

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Yeah the free weekend is inflating that but it's still quite an impressive showing; It's only 4000 short of GTAV.

Oct 25, 2017
GG IO Interactive. hopefully it got a fair few who tried the world of assassination to pony up the cash for the season! :)

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
These weren't real players, they were bots farming steam trading cards which can be done because the game is technically "free". Same thing happened with some other free game recently.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Damn....let gamers spend some time with their family and thats how they compensate for it ?
Regardless how legit the numbers are - good to have some potential positive news about the games commercial reception for once.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
That's not necessarily due to the free weekend either. I play Hitman 2 because I own the previous version. I've not paid for anything in Hitman 2 as I'm playing the legacy levels. So I'd be counted as one of those players but without giving any money to IOI.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
That's not necessarily due to the free weekend either. I play Hitman 2 because I own the previous version. I've not paid for anything in Hitman 2 as I'm playing the legacy levels. So I'd be counted as one of those players but without giving any money to IOI.

You should give money to IO.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Hey, if this even slightly increases the chance of more Hitman content being made, I'm fine with whatever actually caused the inflated numbers.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if this even slightly increases the chance of more Hitman content being made, I'm fine with whatever actually caused the inflated numbers.
New Hitman content is still being made. Hitman 2 has a season pass so that means we're still getting two new locations (plus other stuff) and they have to release them.

There is more concern about the studio's future. I really hope this isn't the last Hitman game.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope some of those people convert into buys, the game is incredible and it's such a shame that the gap between quality and sales is so large.

Jul 26, 2018
Well I assume games like Horizon, GoW, Spider-Man, Zelda, CoD, Uncharted 4 pull in millions of people all playing at once around launch. So to see only two games with over one million and the sixth all time game with 300k+ is weird.

Oct 26, 2017
Those numbers are concurrent.

He believes that even being concurrent, the numbers should be higher.

What I think it's happening, most people don't know the TRUE difference of people playing a game, and units sold. Let's say it isn't intuitive. People know intuitively the concurrent numbers will be much lower than the number of units sold, right? But they still miss by one magnitude what's the true difference.

An example. Dead Cells is very succesful game which has sold more than one million copies only in Steam (between 1M and 2M in steamspy), and right now it's being played by... 3600 players.

Well I assume games like Horizon, GoW, Spider-Man, Zelda, CoD, Uncharted 4 pull in millions of people all playing at once around launch. So to see only two games with over one million and the sixth all time game with 300k+ is weird.

Pc gaming isn't focused in a few of very big, very popular games like consoles, it's focused on online games (WoW, LoL, WoT, CS, and other acronyms) and indie or mid-level games.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, here is the explanation why some games spike like crazy when given away for free.

If your game has Steam cards and is available for free, there is a load of people who are going to activate the game to farm the cards. It takes a few hours to beat those few cards out of any game: you don't have to download it, you don't have to launch it, you don't have to play it. However, the farmers contribute to the Steamcharts numbers.

So when Mirage or Coh2 were given away for free, there was a massive chunk of the concurrent playerbase simply farming the cards. Coh2 spiked to 160k on Steamcharts this month, yet the in-game online counter was 20k, the rest of the players were simply farming those cards.

I can guarantee that at least half of Hitman 2's spike were card farmers, emulating the play.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
You assume?

Have you seen any numbers for any other game?