• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
American soldiers might have introduced frying the wings, but that spicy korean flavor/sauce is 100% korean, and that sauce/flavor Slap!

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
This was such a small thing that I loved about being in Seoul. My girlfriend and I were visiting for 10 days and we went to watch GSL (Starcraft 2). Before the event we looked up 2 places that were supposedly close that served fried chicken but both happened to be closed. The event ended around 10:30pm. During the event I found a place that delivered (forgot the name at the moment but it was one of their chains), literally anywhere. So we waited outside of the building and at like 11pm a guy rides up on a moped and drops our food off. It was great. Food was awesome.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
You must not be from Va but yes, in Va everyone calls northern Va, Nova. Its almost as if its taught in elementary here.

guess its kinda like NoCal and SoCal

I'm from NOVA lol, I don't call it that cause not everyone online know it. I'm just surprise cause you said there are no good kfc in NOVA beside bonchon....

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised. A lot of cuisine was introduced over there during and shortly after the Korean war. Lot of new ingredients to common dishes too.

Not a huge fan of Korean fried chicken tho. So much sauce and not in the right way.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
I miss Korean Fried Chicken so much. There are no places in the area I live in now. Bonchon spicy was my go-to take out food for years.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I was stationed there for a year and had the opportunity to try so many dishes. Love all of their chicken dishes. Chicken on a stick is dope.

This is pretty cool though, I didn't expect the military to be the influence for their fried chicken but it makes sense.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had Korean Fried Chicken and Soju in forever thanks to this pandemic.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
On Somebody Feed Phil, the Netflix food travel show, they mention this in the latest season in an episode about Seoul. Although I can't remember if they mentioned specifically AA soldiers teaching the Koreans how to fry, or just American soldiers in general.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Oh wow, small place. I live in Centreville. It's basically a bigger version of Annandale. Half the business here are Koreans. Lol

But yeah it's the best bonchon in the area. The spiciest one too. I can only eat a few of the spicy ones, otherwise I would suffer the next day. Lol
I bet we've all been in the same room at some point, I used to eat in Annandale and Cville often before this year, haha. Yes the chicken and other food rule aaaah

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I bet we've all been in the same room at some point, I used to eat in Annandale and Cville often before this year, haha. Yes the chicken and other food rule aaaah

Haha most probably. Cause of this thread, I went toget Choong man chicken. So good. Like most Asians in the area, Korean food is a staple food lol.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever had Bonchon here in MA, but I'll have to keep an eye out for Choong and some of the others mentioned here.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Soldiers/the Korean War is also how Korea got Budae Jjigae, Which is basically 'Army Base Stew'.

One of the cooks/workers, would take all the meat products and threw them into korean stews...and so you got army base stew. Which is amazing.

7e131141a15c259f222deb12270029c9.jpg
Why must they defile a perfectly decent budae jjigae with cheese? :(

ps. I don't really love Korean-style fried chicken. And yes, I've tried it lots, both in Korea and the U.S. Call me an outlier.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have Jolibee's (Filipino owned) in the Bay Area and it's great!

And yeah, fried chicken has origins in West Africa I believe. And then it was brought over into America with the slave trade.
Yeah American Fried Chicken as its known is based on Scottish and African Culture. The Scottish developed the frying method used but like most Food from the British Isles there was a very noticeable lack of any kinds of seasonings etc. Then the Slaves brought with them their cooking culture with various spices etc. and the process was complete due to chicken being about the only animal Slaves were allowed to own.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping to go to SK for my spring break before covid hit. Fried chicken and beer was on the top of my list.

Theres a ton of Korean resturnats here in Japan but only a few in the bigger cities do the chicken and I have no idea why. It's like... THE THING, but those stupid cheese dogs and what not are what blew up. Japan skips the best stuff for no reason lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, Koreans and Indians are on a while different level on spice tolerance. I have a Korean friend who used to eat the "spicy challenge" plates at restaurants just regularly. The Orochan challenge they featured on Man vs. Food? She had it and said it wasn't good--not spicy enough. Meanwhile, I would die if I just licked it once.

I also have a friend who told me one of the spiciest things he's ever had was the "non-spicy" pizza he had in India. He even confirmed with them if they messed up his order. Nope.

I used to love vindaloo, but it's not worth the aftermath anymore. And even then I'm pretty certain that's already toned down. We have quite a few good Indian places in my town, but Korean food is sadly not really a thing here. There's a place that is supposedly Korean/Japanese but they basically just do generic Chinese takeout plus bibimbap and sushi.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Whilst not fried the pub near my parents house serve Korean BBQ Wings (well, pre-Covid anyway) and they were amazing.