• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Koreans were first introduced to American-style fried chicken during the Korean war (1950-53). The concept of frying battered pieces of chicken was introduced by American troops stationed in South Korea during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Until then, Koreans had steamed their chicken.

As the United States flexed its military muscles during the 20th century, black GIs were thrust into contact with epicureans abroad. And so they taught the world about delicacies like American-style barbecue, chitterlings, and fried chicken. Motivated to settle overseas by the enduring racism within the United States and the relative social acceptance African Americans received in other countries, many former U.S. servicemen and women opened up restaurants, shared their beloved recipes, and turned their deeply regional soul food into a global phenomenon.

Soul food went on the move within the U.S. military. African-American troops have a long history of fighting on foreign soil, starting with the Spanish American War in 1898, when thousands of black soldiers helped secure victories in Cuba and the Philippines. By World War I, the number of enlisted African-American men and women had swelled to several hundred thousand. Both white and black troops serving overseas missed the comfort foods they had loved at home in the American South, and they lobbied for their military rations to be more soulful. The Kansas City Star reported one success story in September 1918:

"From the negro and white Southern soldiers who are serving in France comes the cry for yellow yams. The beneficent American government harkened to the desire that was wafted across the sea, and within the next few weeks the toothsome sweet potato will be upon the bill of fare in all the Army camps of this Nation in the fighting, training and working areas across the water . . . That the negro soldiers in France will welcome the arrival of yellow yams is not to be doubted. The letters of many of these men dwell upon the fond memories that they have of the yellow yams in the home life that they left behind."
www.zocalopublicsquare.org

How the U.S. Military Brought Soul Food to the World | Essay | Zócalo Public Square

Soul food ambassadors: probably not who comes to mind when you think of the African Americans who have served overseas in the U.S. armed forces. Yet no
www.scmp.com

How did KFC or Korean fried chicken become popular around the world?

South Korea is widely known for having one of the best and most crispy versions of fried chicken, a dish enjoyed the world over that was first introduced to the country by US troops during the Korean war.

Happy Juneteenth!
rG8HzRY.jpg

Last edited:

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting little bit of history, I guess that explains the korean fried chicken place nearby the college I went to. The place seemed odd but was really good, you could get some flavorful fried chicken, rice and kimchi all in a single meal.

Oct 30, 2017
The Netflix show The King: Eternal Monarch had them eating fried chicken in practically every scene--the place was called bb.q. It was either that or kimchi and milk tea.

I didn't know it was so hugely popular in SK. Their version looks incredible too.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
The Netflix show The King: Eternal Monarch had them eating fried chicken in practically every scene--the place was called bb.q. It was either that or kimchi and milk tea.

I didn't know it was so hugely popular in SK. Their version looks incredible too.

Yeah that franchise is super popular, so much so there's a few around me in the inland empire in socal.

Damn real good chicken I gotta say. Double frying it makes so much sense.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Korean fried chicken is incredible. I think it's my preferred form of fried chicken

It's really cool to learn about its roots, I had no idea!

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I assumed it would have come from China where it was popular to fry things. Though I dare say they perfected it.

It's always interesting to see how foods evolve when they get applied to local tastes. I think food is also one of the best avenues of cultural exchange. Nobody hates good food.

I still have some leftover karaage I made last night but at least according to wikipedia it was developed entirely independently. They just rebranded it in the west as "popcorn chicken."

Oct 30, 2017
My friend who is half black half asian (not sure if korean but that would make sense considering the OP) introduced korean fried chicken to me maybe 2 years ago, but for some reason it was "double fried" and I don't know what that means exactly. All I know is it was amazing. Maybe 6 months ago, another friend asks me out of the blue if I've ever had it. He and his family discovered it over the weekend and they were hooked. The place he found is a chain simply called "BBQ Chicken" and I haven't had it yet but keep meaning to. It is located close to the H-mart (which is an asian supermarket) that I go to but I'm never there around dinner time. He found it intriguing that a fried chicken place would also have rice, kimchi, etc. but to each their own.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My friend who is half black half asian (not sure if korean but that would make sense considering the OP) introduced korean fried chicken to me maybe 2 years ago, but for some reason it was "double fried" and I don't know what that means exactly. All I know is it was amazing.
double fried just means that you fry it. take it out let it cool a bit then fry it again.
makes the chicken more crunchy.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Guess it's expanding to more places. In northern VA, we have had Korean fried chicken for like 10+ years. In the area, there are like 20 different restaurants and multiple chains. BBQ chicken and beer, Bonchon, Choong man, Chi Mc chicken, and some non-chain ones.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I prefer Japanese fried chicken, but Korean fried chicken is aiite.

I didn't realize the origins were from so long ago, tbh. Korean Fried Chicken wasn't super popular until about ten years ago here and I assumed that it meant it was a popular dish in Korea in the 80s.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Korean Fried Chicken Wings are my preferred wings personally. Used to work 5 minutes from a Bonchon. My lunch times were fucking amazing the times I'd go. Ah I miss it.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, and looking at the quote in the OP, it doesn't specify that the soldiers were Black. Is there a page with more information about this?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I only discovered Korean Fried Chicken recently, and good lord is it good. I'm glad to now know more about it.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Guess it's expanding to more places. In northern VA, we have had Korean fried chicken for like 10+ years. In the area, there are like 20 different restaurants and multiple chains. BBQ chicken and beer, Bonchon, Choong man, Chi Mc chicken, and some non-chain ones.

i've been to a few of those with my friends in NOVA. if you're going to bonchon though the top tier one is in centreville!

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
i've been to a few of those with my friends in NOVA. if you're going to bonchon though the top tier one is in centreville!

Oh wow, small place. I live in Centreville. It's basically a bigger version of Annandale. Half the business here are Koreans. Lol

But yeah it's the best bonchon in the area. The spiciest one too. I can only eat a few of the spicy ones, otherwise I would suffer the next day. Lol

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I didn't see mention of specifically black soldiers for this...

Military occupation has definitely influenced food culture throughout history.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, small place. I live in Centreville. It's basically a bigger version of Annandale. Half the business here are Koreans. Lol

But yeah it's the best bonchon in the area. The spiciest one too. I can only eat a few of the spicy ones, otherwise I would suffer the next day. Lol

yeah, that location was the first time i ordered the 10 piece spicy, and i regretted it lol I've got the soy garlic from there ever since

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you during my time in South Korea (year), the fried chicken was miracle food on nights out.

also the cheeseburgers from small rundown shops who probably haven't cleaned their grill in 50 years.

Last edited:

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
yeah, that location was the first time i ordered the 10 piece spicy, and i regretted it lol I've got the soy garlic from there ever since

I get Choong man now, Bonchon has gone a bit downhill. It's more expensive now and the wings are way smaller, like half the size of the old wings. It use to be 10 wings for small, 20 for medium, and 30 for large. Now it's like 8 for small, 16 for medium, and 24 for large. They basically increased the price but lower the size and quantities.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I get Choong man now, Bonchon has gone a bit downhill. It's more expensive now and the wings are way smaller, like half the size of the old wings. It use to be 10 wings for small, 20 for medium, and 30 for large. Now it's like 8 for small, 16 for medium, and 24 for large. They basically increased the price but lower the size and quantities.

yeah i believe the last few times we went for kfc, we got chi mc and bbq wings and beer. not sure i've been to choong man yet!

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My friend who is half black half asian (not sure if korean but that would make sense considering the OP) introduced korean fried chicken to me maybe 2 years ago, but for some reason it was "double fried" and I don't know what that means exactly. All I know is it was amazing. Maybe 6 months ago, another friend asks me out of the blue if I've ever had it. He and his family discovered it over the weekend and they were hooked. The place he found is a chain simply called "BBQ Chicken" and I haven't had it yet but keep meaning to. It is located close to the H-mart (which is an asian supermarket) that I go to but I'm never there around dinner time. He found it intriguing that a fried chicken place would also have rice, kimchi, etc. but to each their own.

I live next to one of those BBQ chicken places! It's pretty great and I think they are actually owned by H-mart or at least have a partnership.

One of the unique things about Korean friend chicken is that it's typically made with potato or corn starch instead of flour. Give's it that amazing texture.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I always like spicy when I get bonchon, but I regret it after a few bites and have to take a break.

Unless you regularly eat spicy, do not ever eat more than 5 spicy wings from bonchon lol. Your stomach will not like you during the night/morning.

yeah i believe the last few times we went for kfc, we got chi mc and bbq wings and beer. not sure i've been to choong man yet!

You should try it, I prefer it over the other now. They got so many flavors. Their spicy wings makes bonchon spicy seems like it's nothing. 😂

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, and looking at the quote in the OP, it doesn't specify that the soldiers were Black. Is there a page with more information about this?
Should've added this part to the OP:
As the United States flexed its military muscles during the 20th century, black GIs were thrust into contact with epicureans abroad. And so they taught the world about delicacies like American-style barbecue, chitterlings, and fried chicken. Motivated to settle overseas by the enduring racism within the United States and the relative social acceptance African Americans received in other countries, many former U.S. servicemen and women opened up restaurants, shared their beloved recipes, and turned their deeply regional soul food into a global phenomenon.

Soul food went on the move within the U.S. military. African-American troops have a long history of fighting on foreign soil, starting with the Spanish American War in 1898, when thousands of black soldiers helped secure victories in Cuba and the Philippines. By World War I, the number of enlisted African-American men and women had swelled to several hundred thousand. Both white and black troops serving overseas missed the comfort foods they had loved at home in the American South, and they lobbied for their military rations to be more soulful. The Kansas City Star reported one success story in September 1918:

"From the negro and white Southern soldiers who are serving in France comes the cry for yellow yams. The beneficent American government harkened to the desire that was wafted across the sea, and within the next few weeks the toothsome sweet potato will be upon the bill of fare in all the Army camps of this Nation in the fighting, training and working areas across the water . . . That the negro soldiers in France will welcome the arrival of yellow yams is not to be doubted. The letters of many of these men dwell upon the fond memories that they have of the yellow yams in the home life that they left behind."
www.zocalopublicsquare.org

How the U.S. Military Brought Soul Food to the World | Essay | Zócalo Public Square

Soul food ambassadors: probably not who comes to mind when you think of the African Americans who have served overseas in the U.S. armed forces. Yet no

Oct 30, 2017
The superior KFC. Garlic soy chicken, mmm.

There are lots of Korean Fried Chicken joints here in Metro Atlanta. Out of all of them, Choong Man Chicken reigns supreme.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Korean > Nashville > Other Fried Chicken.

I may have a bias as I live right next to a decent amount of Korean and Nashville chicken places

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone needs to search their town and find the hood Korean fried chicken place. Like there's a difference between "Chinese food" and "Hood Chinese food", the same can be said for Korean fried chicken.

We got this place called Tore Ore in the Asian supermarket and it's godlike. They serve their chicken in off brand pizza boxes, so you know it's legit. Then there's the dressed up stuff like Dak & Bop downtown that's the same thing but 5x more expensive.

Find your hood Korean fried chicken place. You'll be glad you did.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Bonchon is overpriced. Cant find a decent Korean chicken joint within 30 miles of nova where I live.

Northern VA?

Everyone needs to search their town and find the hood Korean fried chicken place. Like there's a difference between "Chinese food" and "Hood Chinese food", the same can be said for Korean fried chicken.

We got this place called Tore Ore in the Asian supermarket and it's godlike. They serve their chicken in off brand pizza boxes, so you know it's legit. Then there's the dressed up stuff like Dak & Bop downtown that's the same thing but 5x more expensive.

Find your hood Korean fried chicken place. You'll be glad you did.

Speaking of hood Chinese food, I grew up in DC. Chinese carry out are the de facto place for fried chicken and mumbo sauce. It's the best fried chicken you will ever have that is not coated and deep fried.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Korean fried chicken is big here in the SF Bay Area. It's far more common than American fried chicken.

Fried chicken in general originated with black people, did it not? If not, for sure they popularized it. It's funny how, once again, a cheap, calorie-dense food originally eaten by the poorest people is now ubiquitous and delicious for all.

Side story: once I went to this southern fried chicken place that was reviewed well by everyone but black people. It sucked.

EDIT: And since the article mentions the Philippines, too, holy shit is fried chicken popular there! I don't think there's a single restaurant in the country that doesn't serve it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
So you're saying they mixed some soul food with the locals and the result was...Seoul food?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Someone please create a Southern BBQ / Korean BBQ fusion restaurant and pay for me to go there.

A nearby korean bbq / take out place near me is called CHOOSE AND MIX KOREA EXPRESS which is about as classic a name as you can get for American Korean takeout. I don't go there enough I used to when I lived closer

So you're saying they mixed some soul food with the locals and the result was...Seoul food?

oh shit

Oct 26, 2017
I've only had proper Korean fried chicken once, in a small place in Osaka, and it nearly killed me. I requested a 2 on a scale of 1-4 and it was almost inedible. Delicious, but just insanely hot. I'm too used to westernized asian food.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Korean fried chicken is big here in the SF Bay Area. It's far more common than American fried chicken.

Fried chicken in general originated with black people, did it not? If not, for sure they popularized it. It's funny how, once again, a cheap, calorie-dense food originally eaten by the poorest people is now ubiquitous and delicious for all.

Side story: once I went to this southern fried chicken place that was reviewed well by everyone but black people. It sucked.

EDIT: And since the article mentions the Philippines, too, holy shit is fried chicken popular there! I don't think there's a single restaurant in the country that doesn't serve it.
We have Jolibee's (Filipino owned) in the Bay Area and it's great!

And yeah, fried chicken has origins in West Africa I believe. And then it was brought over into America with the slave trade.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
There's a place in my city called Seoul Fried Chicken that sells a pretty good 6-piece chicken set for $10 and change... but it's really 8 or 9 pieces and the portions are absolutely massive.

edit: Sorry, 5-piece set.

To this day, I have no idea how they manage to make a profit off of this.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Soldiers/the Korean War is also how Korea got Budae Jjigae, Which is basically 'Army Base Stew'.

One of the cooks/workers, would take all the meat products and threw them into korean stews...and so you got army base stew. Which is amazing.

7e131141a15c259f222deb12270029c9.jpg

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had proper Korean fried chicken once, in a small place in Osaka, and it nearly killed me. I requested a 2 on a scale of 1-4 and it was almost inedible. Delicious, but just insanely hot. I'm too used to westernized asian food.
Oh yeah, Koreans and Indians are on a while different level on spice tolerance. I have a Korean friend who used to eat the "spicy challenge" plates at restaurants just regularly. The Orochan challenge they featured on Man vs. Food? She had it and said it wasn't good--not spicy enough. Meanwhile, I would die if I just licked it once.

I also have a friend who told me one of the spiciest things he's ever had was the "non-spicy" pizza he had in India. He even confirmed with them if they messed up his order. Nope.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
There's a place in my city called Seoul Fried Chicken that sells a pretty good 6-piece chicken set for $10 and change... but it's really 8 or 9 pieces and the portions are absolutely massive.

edit: Sorry, 5-piece set.

To this day, I have no idea how they manage to make a profit off of this.
Seoul Fried Chicken was my go-to place when I worked in Edmonton. I got a 10pc every other week.