• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Re-election is usually the 'safe' bet in any government.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Unfortunately it doesnt matter much unless you live in a swing state. If you are already in a predominately red/blue state then your vote makes little to no difference due to electoral college. If you live in a swing state then i do encourage to vote in droves.
stop propogating this bullshit. your vote absolutely matters in red/blue states because there's still congress, senate, state level and local level elections.

just look at how many dem flips happened in 2018 in Texas because the dem turnout was so good.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yep, Dems are so lost that they don't know if they are far left, central left or right left. It's an awful group of candidates and I don't see any of them beating Trump besides Biden. Warren would get owned, and people are falling for her hard, right into Trump's hands.

Sarah Sanders said as much too. Trump wants Warren and that's a bad sign.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who says Sanders is the only one who can defeat trump is pretty delusional. Polling suggest otherwise.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Dems are so lost that they don't know if they are far left, central left, are right left. It's an awful group of candidates and I don't see any of them beating Trump. The only one I see is Biden. Warren would get owned, and people are falling for her hard, right into Trumps hand.

Sarah Sanders said as much too. Trump wants Warren and that's a bad sign.
I agree with this post. Warren will get destroyed worse than Hillary. Dems just dont have the candidate to go up against trump imo. Oh well maybe one day we will get someone like Obama or Bill again but until then i dont see it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I could see Trump being re-elected if the dem is Warren. That's going to be a dark day...
She's polling very similarly in trial heats against Trump as Sanders right now. The last Fox News poll actually had her doing a point better - beating Trump by 10 points, the same as Biden.

I was very concerned about Warren's electability when she first announced her run, but honestly, she's doing everything she needs to in quelling my fears. She's only becoming more popular as she becomes better known, and after the Native American DNA test debacle she's avoided any whiff of scandal or baggage.

Maybe Trump pounding on POCAHONTAS all campaign will change that, but I kind of doubt it.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah in the past I think it's fair to say that the success of the economy correlated to election success, but he's a once in a generation shit-house. I don't really believe he's a favorite to win unless there's a big scandal with one of the Dems, or if they can't convince some of the rust belt states that they've been worse off since he took over.

I'm happy people aren't taking it for granted, though.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck 100% of everything you're saying here.

I got a better idea, YOU go out and support a candidate that'll actually inspire people to get out and vote in the election. YOU need to start fighting for Bernie NOW. If Bernie doesn't win the nomination, lack of enthusiasm will absolutely allow Trump to sale in to reelection in the general.

Bernie beats Trump. No other candidate does.

You should be doing absolutely everything in your power right now to get Bernie the nom. Not sitting here telling us to already give up on making any meaningful progress on fixing the actual problems facing this country before a single vote has even been cast.

Your defeatist attitude will cost us everything and if throw-in-the-towel folks like you get Biden the nom, not only will I not vote for him in the general but I will leave the Democratic Party because it clearly wouldn't represent me or my values anymore.

This has to be a troll post...like LOL have you looked at any polling data other than Bernie?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone doubting this in this topic needs to go and read the 2016 election thread and watch how the smug attitude at the start becomes despair by the end.

Don't take any chances, just vote.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
According to what data will she be destroyed?
Swing voters or centrists who won't vote for her if she's the nom. I don't fucking want a centrist candidate like Biden just because people think we need a centrist to beat Trump. If this country can elect a far right candidate then we can elect a leftist candidate too.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
it seems hate and just generally being an asshole is more common in the world than ever. People are legit proud of it.

I will honestly be shocked if Trump doesnt get re-elected.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't get it. He lost the popular vote, and since becoming president, his approval ratings are in the dumps, the Dems took the house, and he has been steeped in corruption even some Republicans have called him out on.

What reason is there to believe he'd do better than the last election?

I feel like the myth that the Mueller report or the impeachment proceedings somehow help him to be frankly asinine.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not shocked at this projection. If he isn't removed from office before the election he has a pretty good shot. Red states aren't going to turn on him and blue states are blue. It will come down to MI, WI, OH, and PA again and I don't trust it. Especially when he will be talking up how "good" the economy is going.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I see it happening. But that's cause I have no hope left for this country.
Best way to make it not true is to go out and vote tho!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. He lost the popular vote, and since becoming president, his approval ratings are in the dumps, the Dems took the house, and he has been steeped in corruption even some Republicans have called him out on.

What reason is there to believe he'd do better than the last election?

I feel like the myth that the Mueller report or the impeachment proceedings somehow help him to be frankly asinine.

Presidential elections aren't won by popular vote. That's why. Red states aren't going to turn on him because they'd prefer to have a conservative in power over a democrat even if his approval is down. It's going to come down to the rust belt again. Personally, I do not trust it. I think he'll ever so slightly edge whoever out.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what motivation a company like Moody's would have to say that Trump will win re-election.

One would imagine this administration has been good for their profit margins.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Backtesting is fine and all but a model's worth and accuracy becomes more clear under actual testing. Had they been talking a model developed in 2008 which then proceeded to accurately predict the following election outcomes I would be more concerned.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
electoral_precedent.png

someone wasted a lot of time on this shit

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn if this place doesn't have the same stench of GAF 2016. All these Bernie fans are going to pull the same shit they did back then, and we'll end up with Trump again.

Have Dems learned nothing?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are just keeping reality in check. If the election was won by popular vote, we'd all be popping champagne right now.
Being defeatist is not "keeping reality in check". We're looking at a President who can barely stay above 40% approval with a "good" economy. If he is some unbeatable behemoth, then everyone who is to the left of the Nazis might as well pack it in, because you'll be looking at a permanent Fascist state.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Donald Trump LOST the popular vote in 2016.

Do you think he has ADDED to his base? That his actions over the past terms has strengthened his platform? That his rhetoric has SPREAD to a wider audience in a historically consistently record low approval rating?

The only way they win is by discouraged Democrat votes. For 19104958th time, this election isnt about changing minds, it's about energizing.

We have the numbers. This isnt rocket science.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Damn if this place doesn't have the same stench of GAF 2016. All these Bernie fans are going to pull the same shit they did back then, and we'll end up with Trump again.

Have Dems learned nothing?
Bernie getting trump elected has been talked about and debunked to death. I can't believe people still say this crap.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, he's done. There's no precedent, so by definition a prediction model will have very limited data to work here. Even his own base seem to lose faith in him more every day. I doubt he can reach that 2016 levels of approval again.

The question now is what kind of change will Americans choose for. Will they choose a situation of status quo (Biden), a politican revolution (Bernie), or something in between (Warren).

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Incumbents do have an advantage, in my lifetime they've only not wone twice - Carter and Bush 1st. We dont really dont have a get the country excited type candidate, not that it should matter but unfortunatly it does. Add on top Trump will by next election have been impeached but saved by the Senate which will further give him a boost. Its depressing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's always the danger in a mostly-good economy. People will just look at how well they are doing and decide to vote for the status quo. If things don't swing badly for Trump on the domestic side, it seems like he has a pretty good chance.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Yeah, but what does it say about the future of democratic party that four of its five most visible (and popular?) politicians are over 70 years old (Biden, Sanders, Warren, Pelosi; Ocasio-Cortez is the outlier here). They are the same generation as Clinton and Gore who were in power 20 years ago. Where is the next generation (or really even the generation after that). Even republicans had two younger candidates in the top three in the last primary (Cruz & Rubio).

Based on my experience, Gen X tends to lean a bit more conservative, having come of age during the Reagan Revolution. Then, for a long time, the boomer-era Clinton machine dominated the Dem party, hence why Obama has been the only major Xer in the party. Plus, Gen X is overall a much smaller demo than the boomers or millennials, so the field of potential candidates on either side will be smaller.