• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
A hydroelectric plant built in 1897 is serving a very different function now. The Albany Times Union reported that the Mechanicville, NY plant operated by Albany Engineering Corp. is currently mining Bitcoin with some of the power it produces.

"We think this is the oldest renewable energy facility in the world that's still running," Albany Engineering Corp. CEO Jim Besha told the Albany Times Union. He also said the plant "can actually make more money with bitcoin than selling the electricity to National Grid," though, which is why he's taken to mining the cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin mining is an energy-intensive operation that requires a lot of powerful equipment. Criticism of the cryptocurrency's environmental impact has led to renewed pushes for it to be mined using renewable energy sources like this hydroelectric plant in New York or a proposed volcano-powered mine in El Salvador.

Besha doesn't appear to be all-in on Bitcoin, however. "It's the best [type of bitcoin mining] because we're using renewable energy," he told the Albany Times Union. "We're just doing it on the side, experimenting with it. We're buying used servers." (Not that new servers are going to be particularly easy to come by at the moment.)

Rejuvenate my old hydroelectric plant if old.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
See, Bitcoin mining is green and this isn't bad for the planet in the bigger picture. /S

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, I'm not gonna be surprised if this becomes common occurrence for electric companies.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There should be dirty energy tax. So green energy being sold to the grid would be more beneficial than mining Bitcoin.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for them to lose billions after Elon Musk tweets that the price of bitcoin is too high

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
This is why I don't like Bitcoin and other crypto currencies. They are nothing but capital that multiplies capital. No production or value gets added back into the economy. It's just money printing with extra steps.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Bitcoin can be renewable and environmentally friendly
tenor.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Upstate NY is pretty behind economically. So this makes sense.

Aug 30, 2020
This is why I don't like Bitcoin and other crypto currencies. They are nothing but capital that multiplies capital. No production or value gets added back into the economy. It's just money printing with extra steps.

Technically incorrect, but only because the real reason is worse.

The worker works hard for their money. They stupidly invest it in bitcoin. Then the power plant takes that wealth and the worker is left with nothing.

It's zero sum and it's a pyramid scheme. The money doesn't come from nowhere.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm sorry, we aren't providing power to your area during this record heat wave because mining Bitcoin is more profitable." Wouldn't that be something.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how using renewable energy makes it better: you are denying the use of that energy in replacing non-renewable sources. So, it amounts to the same thing until we are 100% renewable (at least in the region its located). Especially when the plant was built in 1897. Even then, renewable doesn't mean zero carbon.

As we do woefully little about climate change, we waste enormous resources on unnecessary crap like cryptocurrencies.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
This has happened before. Ocean Falls BC has a hydroelectric plant that is used for bitcoin mining.

Difference there is that the Ocean Falls plant isn't connected to the grid. It was built to power the town (and 2 others) and power the old paper plant. The paper plant has long since closed and the 3 towns use only 1/3rd the plants output at peak winter usage.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"I'm sorry, we aren't providing power to your area during this record heat wave because mining Bitcoin is more profitable." Wouldn't that be something.

NYC residents being told not to flush their toilets or use AC when Times Square is completely lit up comes to mind.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Not the oldest powerplant still running. The hydroelectric plant in Västerås Sweden is from 1891 and there arr probably still older ones out there.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Its like satisfactory, but all resources go to a diminishing returns ridden awesomesink.
The absolute opposite of well used resources.