• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From your post, you clearly DON'T understand the issue.

How can a group have certain skin features when the group contains people with a complete spectrum of mixes from Europe, Africa, and the Americas?

There are Hispanics as pale as the paleest white person and also Hispanics with extremely dark complexions. What skin features?

Like I said, I'm not here to convince you. Let's just agree to disagree. No need to be aggressive about this. As you've said, the debate is very much recent, and I just believe that it makes sense to define Latinx as a race. You're free to believe it's just an ethnicity. And I understand why you do.

Why are you using english phonems to explain spanish language? In any case it would be /latineks/ which still sound weird for me.

I am more partial of just using the femenine plural for generalisms (which is also possible) and/or adding both "latinas y latinos" (which can be shortened with the @).

That doesn't sound right to me but I only speak Spanish as a second language.

Only because we're writing in English here. And I disagree it's only Spanish language. Sure, it's part of it. But I'm Brazilian, and the Latinx community includes people from all Latin American countries.

"Brazilians are Latinos" implies all. Some would be correct.

Latin@ was in use long before Latinx. It's purpose was to include everyone on the gender spectrum. Latinx came out of American academia and is a word that uses English convention to craft a new Spanish term.

The intent of the term is fine. It's just something that is used to punch down (as we've seen in this very thread) as well as a term that is used by people to self identify.

Sure, we can agree that "some" makes more sense. However, I've seen non-binary people embracing the term "Latinx" more often, as it's easier to speak than "Latin@." Maybe some have used it to punch down, but I'm part of various Latinx groups that use it in a very positive way. I think the tide is changing on that.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I know it's patriarchal, but hasn't "Latino" been used as the catch all term since like forever?
We could use that or Latin

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The one gap may be gender non confirming (outside the spectrum)

Gendered language is

Also latin@ does not encompass gender neutral or non-binary people.

I suppose this is a difference of conception then because I would treat neutral or non-binary as just different parts of the spectrum. No one says you need to be at a single point.

You see... If a person with European ancestry moves to latin america they become latinos.

If an Asian does the same they are forever Asian.

(I'm not arguing a side, just trying to illustrate the complexities of race and identity)

Doesn't Latino (when used as a racial identifier) indicate native ancestry in the family tree?

OP
OP

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Latinx is cultural imperialism by the usual suspect, the USA.

Instead of despoiling the soil of Latin America with blood spilled by right-wing death squads and American-bought arms, now the liberals of America attempt to rewrite someone else's language to conform to their own ivory tower ideals to be "morally correct."

Truly the arrogance of America knows no bounds.
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

Tranquilo, tranquilo!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
As an aside, I just wanted to say thanks to Boiled Goose and RobertoSAGuedes for jumping in with aggressive, but fair, questioning. Lively debate is much more interesting than people trying to yell over each other. Appreciate the differing PoVs.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do spanish people call themselves hispanic? don't remember ever hearing that. as a european that has always felt like an america thing.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
I don't know him, so I don't know how he identifies.

That depends on how you are using Latino. In this thread (and how most of North America uses it) it seems to be used as a race descriptor. In that case, probably not.

He identifies as Peruvian and Peruvians are latinos based on the definition of being part of Latin America.

So how would you describe the latin "race" then? Can a black person be latino? What about a pure indigenous person like a quechua or aymara or pure European/white person? Latin America is EXTREMELY diverse.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, I just wanted to say thanks to Boiled Goose and RobertoSAGuedes for jumping in with aggressive, but fair, questioning. Lively debate is much more interesting than people trying to yell over each other. Appreciate the differing PoVs.

Sorry that my message sounded aggressive. Not my intention. Unfortunately one of the things that sucks about text-based communication, and it's super challenging to make sure it doesn't sound that way.

I've recently embraced myself as part of the Latinx community, facing all the struggles we have to deal with on a daily basis. I think it's important that the community unifies and supports each other towards overcoming our obstacles, which is why I'm part of various groups.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why don't we have a Spanish / Latino thread already?

Hagámoslo!

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He identifies as Peruvian and Peruvians are latinos based on the definition of being part of Latin America.

So how would you describe the latin "race" then? Can a black person be latino? What about a pure indigenous person like a quechua or aymara or pure European/white person? Latin America is EXTREMELY diverse.

It's definitely an extremely diverse area, and I think that's one of our strengths - not a weakness. We have to be careful to not say we're homogeneous. But as far as your question about a black person being Latinx, that can definitely happen. The term Afro-Latinx has been starting to be embraced by certain members of the community that identify with it. Like I said in an earlier post, it's a very recent discussion, and I'm sure there's much that can change, and much that we can still learn from.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Again, it goes back to the definition. If you are using Latino as a substitute for Latin America, then yes, anyone who lives in Latin America is Latino. Would they lose that definition when they move to North America?

If you use Latino to mean someone descended from indigenous people, then it depends on familial relations.

Different groups define the term in different ways which makes it difficult to say any one way is "RIGHT."

Let's start with the basics. How would you define ethnicity? How does someone gain an ethnicity? How does someone lose an ethnicity? How does that differ from nationality?

Why the hell do humans have so many terms to try and classify other humans?

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Never heard such a term, at least here in NYC. Just the usual hispanic or Latino or caribeño same ol shit.

Españoles, argentinians, etc are Europeans in my eyes and that's how they see themselves.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I will never understand using -x for gender neutral words in Spanish. Looks stupid, reads stupid. Changing the final sound of a word from vowel to consonant is kinda dumb when you could just use -e (amigue, latine, etc.) to achieve gender inclusiveness.

Using -x sounds like something someone who doesn't speak Spanish as first language would come up with.

Last edited:

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I prefer to say that I'm Mexican. We all have different cultures, dialects, etc. You wouldn't lump Indian and Pakistani people together just because they are next to each other.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm puertorican and couldn't really care less if they call me latino or hispanic. Hell, no one I know would care for one or the other.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017

Instead of despoiling the soil of Latin America with blood spilled by right-wing death squads and American-bought arms, now the liberals of America attempt to rewrite someone else's language to conform to their own ivory tower ideals to be "morally correct."

No lies detected. Takes some balls for the most racist nation on Earth, birth place of Trump, to police a language you cant even understand.

But if you insist on using that garbage word, x in Spanish is pronounced equis. So the least you could do is say/write it as latinequis.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Hispanic is an american term, ive NEVER heard it in my life here in Peru or in any south american country i have visited.
Latino is never used to describe oneself, only when speaking as a collective of different cultures that share a continent and similar struggles.
For example, i would describe myself as Peruvian, the only context i would call us Latin@s(this is actually the term ive seen people use since the early 2000s for writing) is maybe when talking about football teams or when describing a characteristic of one country in relation to others (for example "Bolivia tiene el mayor porcentaje de amerindios como parte de su poblacion de todos los paises latinos").

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Latino = Anyone born in Latin America. Language does not matter.
The Guyanese, Surinamese and French Guyanese are not latino! Latino's descended from countries with where they speak a language with a primarily latin root (Spanish AND Portugese).

Edit: oops, you said "Latin America" instead of "South America". Still your argument is invalid, since the Latin in Latin America is based on language (both Spanish and Portugese) and thus language does matter...

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
¿No tenemos terminaciones femenina y masculina plara evitar estas cosas? Latino o latina según sea el caso, no es tan complicado.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Guyanese, Surinamese and French Guyanese are not latino! Latino's descended from countries with where they speak a language with a primarily latin root (Spanish AND Portugese).
French is also a Latin language. But that's why the definition of Latin America is blurry.

Guyana and Suriname definitely don't count though since they speak English and Dutch.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
¿No tenemos terminaciones femenina y masculina plara evitar estas cosas? Latino o latins según sea el caso, no es tan complicado.
I think it's because some groups are mixed-sex so using latinx instead of latinos is supposed to acknowledge this fact.

As far as I know, the plural forms for all group pronouns in Romantic languages are the same as the male group pronoun.

it is an attempt to "ungnderifiy" gendered language, or gender-neutralize it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Latinx is used to include non-binary people. Using only Latino/Latina is a form of gatekeeping people who are part of our community. It's definitely not about upper class Americans whatsoever.

100% de acuerdo. I'm in one of the most liberal places in the US and even here I have to deal with ignorant people who don't know Puerto Rico is a part of the US or that we're American citizens.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Like I said, I'm not here to convince you. Let's just agree to disagree. No need to be aggressive about this. As you've said, the debate is very much recent, and I just believe that it makes sense to define Latinx as a race. You're free to believe it's just an ethnicity. And I understand why you do.

Only because we're writing in English here. And I disagree it's only Spanish language. Sure, it's part of it. But I'm Brazilian, and the Latinx community includes people from all Latin American countries.

Sure, we can agree that "some" makes more sense. However, I've seen non-binary people embracing the term "Latinx" more often, as it's easier to speak than "Latin@." Maybe some have used it to punch down, but I'm part of various Latinx groups that use it in a very positive way. I think the tide is changing on that.

We can't agree to disagree when your position makes no logical sense. I just outlined how it's fundamentally non sensical and you didn't bother to address the issues I brought up

Belief is not an argument.

The desire from white supremacists to racialize Hispanics is recent, but the obvious logical flaws are time agnostic.