• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
A major TV maker ditches the panel technology of the moment

It seems like everyone's in love with OLED these days, with the panel technology only featuring more prominently in the TV lineups of Sony, LG, Panasonic, and Philips. But it looks like we won't see another OLED TV from Hisense in the near future – if ever.

We've been told that Hisense will not be releasing a successor to the O8B OLED that came out last year, and will instead be looking to develop its proprietary DualCell 'ULED XD' panels – which fuse a 2K and 4K screen together for a crisp and high-contrast picture – as a viable alternative at a much lower cost:

"We are currently focused on making ULED XD successful due to its strong PQ (picture quality) performance and value proposition vs OLED," a Hisense representative said in a statement to TechRadar.

Hisense pulling a Samsung? Seems like everyone else is going OLED.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seems like they're doing the same as Samsung and skipping OLED for a less difficult next step.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nope, but the whole sub 4K picture thing is turning me off from it. Sounds like what LG used to do with some of their LED TVs.
What do you mean sub 4K? The primary panels are 4K according to press previews, but use layers of various panels and resolutions to enhance the image depth.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I never heard of Hisense, where are these sold?

They're a massive Chinese company. $35 billion in revenue in 2018.

I've seen them sold in Walmart, Costco, Target, and Best Buy here in the US, so I'm assuming they're pretty much sold in any place that sells electronics.

That being said, they also seem to be a new venture on this side of the world, I had never heard of them either a few years ago (same with TCL).

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I only recently saw Hisense OLED's appear on ebay in Australia. Up until that point it was mostly LG, Sony and Panasonic. Seems like a shame they're dropping out as I was hoping more budget TV manufacturer's would have OLED panels available.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
these Chinese manufacturers have massive and state of the art LCD manufacturing plants, TCL in particular. They are not going to give that up. Similarly other Chinese companies like BOE are rapidly growing players in LCD manufacturing. It feels that LCD is being abandoned elsewhere specially in South Korea
and they are here to fill up that void.

There are many challenges with dual cell LCD, it's not exactly "easy", in fact it is likely harder to make than OLED at this point. The argument is that they can re purpose existing production lines for it. I think mini LED and what TCL is doing is the better approach and it's probably going to be the dominant LCD technology going forward. Dual cells have a problem with increased power draw, increased number of optical layers resulting in thicker TVs that have worse viewing angles as well and then the light will have a harder time to get through as well so you need more energy to reach similar brightness. Their first TV is apparently sub 1000nit, that's not good when that's the main thing LCDs have going for them against OLED.

miniLED is already being used in laptops this year and Apple is seemingly going that way as well. Pro XDR display is mini LED and it's only a matter of time until macbook pros have it and when computer monitors start using it as well, there will be more demand and more supply and cost will be coming down quickly, it's just an evolution of existing panels, not something radically different. I don't see that happening with dual cells. It is really cool that we have all these different competing technologies and approaches though, you don't really see that in other electronic products.