• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
EDIT: US Numbers are a success too with its first day making as much as "Resurrection F"'s entire run.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-ball-super-broly-opening-day-domestic-box-office-1202536491/

English Source: https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01...broly-global-box-office-latin-america-mexico/

Now that Dragon Ball Super: Broly has gone on to great box office success on its initial release in Japan, the box office total for the film is going to increase even further as it begins opening in other territories around the world in 2019.

The first major example of its new wave of box office success comes from Latin and Central America, as Dragon Ball Super: Broly has earned another $20 million overseas this past weekend

Before it opened in Latin and Central America, Dragon Ball Super: Broly was sitting at around $32.2 million worldwide, so this is an impressive update for the film. As noted by Exhibtor Relations Co., the total box office for the film now sits at $54 million in total, with an impressive $6.5 million debut in Mexico alone -- which isn't surprising considering screenings of the final episode of Dragon Ball Super brought in huge crowds there.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly has seen great success outside of Japan too as it stands as the most successful opening for any Japanese film in Brazil, with $1.6 million USD on opening day. This is without even counting in its performance in Japan, as it was the quickest film in the franchise to earn 2 billion yen over the course of 11 days.

Sources in Spanish
Mexico: https://www.sdpnoticias.com/enelsho...-primer-lugar-de-taquilla-en-mexico-a-aquaman
https://www.sensacine.com.mx/noticias/noticia-18563117/

Uruguay: https://web.ultracine.com/uruguay-dragon-ball-super-broly-debut/

Peru: http://willax.tv/dragon-ball-super-broly-es-el-2do-mejor-estreno-en-peru/

Mexican premiere had over 2 million attendees, while in Peru it was the 2nd best opening in recent history only behind Infinity War.

gplus5869567232470710046.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Completely deserved. It is a fantastic movie, and probably the best of the entire franchise. Had a blast watching it.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Disney in a few months going to plan a live action adaptation of the sayian saga

With a post credits scene setting up namek

Seriously a quality dbz movie do bank world wide

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dragon ball z truly crossed over in latin america. people that never watched anime all watched dragon ball z. my uncles and many of their friends also watched dragon ball z whenever it was on.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it tomorrow night, and Latin America has to be DB biggest market. Even bigger than Japan

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I made the mistake of not buying tix early and whole day was sold out

Broly is still the best DBZ character

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Didn't realize people like it so much. I saw it on New Years and everyone I talked to seemed to agree it was just okay although
1st person fight was cool
. And ridiculously bad music. But whatever, glad it's doing well

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
That's great hope we can get more movies like this.

Kinda off topic but does this movie have spoilers for dragon ball super anime?

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
People just want to see manly men do awesome shit. The Shounen dream is still alive boys.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never in my life read someone refer to our region as "Latin and Central America". That's completely unnecessary and redundant. "Latin America" is fine, you cover from Mexico to Chile this way. That's like saying "South East Asia and Indonesia".

Nitpicking aside I'm happy for this movie completely deserved and the LatAm dub kicks fucking ass!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Wait really!? Source please. That's amazing if true
What? Do explain that one! Sounds fascinating.
My bad, it was actually Nagamine, not Sumitomo
https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20181219-743464/
In the battle scene, was the director's idea like directing a ring name call, too?
I agree. Since battle music is similar, I tried putting in to change. Toei Animation is not officially recognized, but the end of the "Dragon Ball Super TV series" was publicly viewing in Mexico and so on the right way. It was a feeling of watching a professional wrestling like "Jiren VS Goku". Although this also does not approve Toei animation (laugh), there is a poster of "GIRLEN VS Goku" that I made without permission at the entrance of public viewing. When I was watching such a thing, I thought that I wonder if I should do ring calls. It is something that I had as a story, though it would be done with other works from a long time ago.
(also sorry for the Google translate)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Keep in mind that these numbers where achieved despite Latin America being land of the Piracy

A youtube camrip of the Latin American Dub got 6 million views before being taken down

That's impressive too lol

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
went to a 2PM showing cuz the earlier ones sold out (!!!) and it was packed. it was more crowded than when i went around the same time during a first day screening of spider-verse.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I've never in my life read someone refer to our region as "Latin and Central America". That's completely unnecessary and redundant. "Latin America" is fine, you cover from Mexico to Chile this way. That's like saying "South East Asia and Indonesia".

Nitpicking aside I'm happy for this movie completely deserved and the LatAm dub kicks fucking ass!!!

I'm guessing they meant to say South and Central America ;)

I'm really stoked to see this! Probably going to catch it Friday or over the weekend. So glad to hear people are really enjoying this!

Oct 25, 2017

Belize is part of Central America but not Latin America, having said that I don't think they were thinking of Belize

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they meant to say South and Central America ;)

I'm really stoked to see this! Probably going to catch it Friday or over the weekend. So glad to hear people are really enjoying this!
Mexico is North America so Central and South would be geographically wrong (unless you're intentionally leaving out Mexico which is not the case here).

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Have to wait the 30th to watch this. So hyped for this one, got a printed shirt ready to wear for celebrating this movie lol

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia here, all the theaters I checked for the next few days of showings are packed. I was lucky to get 2 tickets for tomorrow.

Decades later Dragon Ball is the biggest it's ever been. This has been my favorite franchise since a kid, and it really is the best time to be a fan.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to see it the day after I get back from my holiday and the same day my girlfriend and I move out of our tiny apartment into an actual house!, it's going to be a great reward after a long gruelling day of moving.

she isn't coming with me because she hates Dragonball

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone watched it in Imax? Is it actually a better experience?

I saw in IMAX in Japan mostly because it was the best theater/screen selection when it came to audio setup.
The one theater I know of with ATMOS was playing something else on that screen. =/

It didn't really use the IMAX screen real estate to full measure, but it was still worth it because the sound design was great.
The sound was honestly even freaking out my young son at times. Heh.