• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 4, 2018
Things have been a bit rough for Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi in 2018, but it appears that he is ready for a brand new beginning, as he revealed on the Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu.
Sakaguchi-san was interviewed as part of a special article prompting many game developers to talk about their plans for 2019. His keyword for the new year is "Shinki Itten" echoinga Japanese proverb which means "a fresh start." Yet he didn't write the traditional kanji one would use for that proverb (心機一転). He instead wrote a play on words by using those for "a new thing" (新規一点).
He added that he is starting a new project, and he wants to try his best to create "a fresh start/new thing."

Source : https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/hironobu-sakaguchi-new-game/

Do you think it will be console/Hanheld or another mobile game ?

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, finally we get Chrono Trigger 2 on Switch coupled with Crono in Smash Ultimate as DLC 2.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I really really hope its not another mobile title. I'd love to see one last big game from him. Show everyone how's it done Guch!

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Story was pretty good, it's been a bummer that the creator of FF has been kind of missing since.
Hopefully they got a publisher and a nice budget for a console game

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel he could make something great if he gets with the right developer, like monolithsoft

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
Consider the word he used "新規", it feels like should be a new IP.
Hope it's for console. Actually looking forward for him to try something new with a smaller budget.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
giphy.gif

Jan 2, 2018
Oh please, I'm craving for a console game from one of the old masters of JRPG! I'm optimistic and really hope the next time I read his name in a title on Resetera it's not followed by the word "mobile" or "iOS/Android".

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Lost Odyssey 2 or something like it is probably my most wanted game after Death Stranding. I hope he's seen the sales of games like Octopath and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think whatever game he made would do well, even on Xbox, especially if they were able to get it out for launch.

Gooch's influence and importance to the gaming industry in undervalued, IMO. I know he's been doing well with his mobile games but the industry needs his story driven games back.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
switch game?

luckly switch's hybrid nature helped to close the gap between handheld developers to home console

either if the project for handheld or mobile, hopefully there will be a good chance it might also come to switch

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People in here need to stop with the lost odyssey 2 comments lol

He said fresh start, new project etc

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Basically in for whatever he creates. Even Terra Battle was relatively enjoyable.

Literally the only thing I didn't like was ASH (Archaic Sealed Heat), which is kind of heartbreaking since I know he likes SRPGs a ton. But that still leaves him with like nothing but wins for a good 30 years.

... Also, he's the only creator I can think of who's made a great exclusive for every single one of the current big three.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon Sakaguchi. You find the Switch fascinating, don't you? (don't care what system he picks but this would do well in Japan.)

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His keyword for the new year is "Shinki Itten" echoinga Japanese proverb which means "a fresh start." Yet he didn't write the traditional kanji one would use for that proverb (心機一転). He instead wrote a play on words by using those for "a new thing" (新規一点).

81tlSD2mQAL._SX425_.jpg

On topic, I don't think it's gonna be anything too big. Been forever since that happened.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll wait and see what it is before inserting an opinion. It's good to hear he's still got a career and wants to keep going, but no sense speculating what form that will take, either to drive up hype or crush it under heel like 90% of the posts in the thread so far.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
So happy to see some lost odyssey love (for once!)
I've not gotten around the last story but I need to.

I will gladly support any upcoming console title from the Gooch tbf.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm down for whatever he does next. Terra Battle is fun and it's a shame they weren't able to salvage TB2 after the poor launch and Silicon Studio bailing on mobile. I don't think the brand is that tarnished since they've left TB1 in a good state although they pissed off most of the EU region fans by pulling the plug instead of complying with GDPR.

I'd easily pay for a Switch version of TB1 that ditches the gacha aspects and rebalances accordingly.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm down for whatever he does next. Terra Battle is fun and it's a shame they weren't able to salvage TB2 after the poor launch and Silicon Studio bailing on mobile. I don't think the brand is that tarnished since they've left TB1 in a good state although they pissed off most of the EU region fans by pulling the plug instead of complying with GDPR.

I'd easily pay for a Switch version of TB1 that ditches the gacha aspects and rebalances accordingly.
I was half way through the final story they added in TB1 when they updated the app and put in a hard region lock that prevented me from logging into the account I put years into. I don't think I care to support Mistwalker again if this is how they do business with fans.