• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is an OT to celebrate the preeminent American cultural artform, Hip-Hop. What is Hip-hop?

"Street Art" aka Graffiti:
Hip-Hop-Graff.jpg

Turntablism:

Turntablism.png

Breakdancing and various other dance subgenres:

Hip-hop-Dance.jpg

And of course, rapping:

Rapping.png

Hip-Hop was created by marginalized Black and Latino kids from the Bronx,New York during the 70's who turned these art-forms (MC'ing, Breakdancing, Turntablism, Urban Graffiti) into a movement that's changed the way we talk, think, and absorb the world around us. It can be beautiful, heartbreaking, angry, sexy, and outright ugly at times but that's being human, isn't it? To quote a cantankerous practitioner of the artform rapper Vincent Staples – 'Anyone can rap if they've got a story to tell.".

SUMMER READING
Hip-hop moves faster than the speed of the pop-culture it largely dictates but if you want to get a handle of how the artform came to be and many of forces that still drive it today here are some books that might help. Even if you're familiar with much of the beginnings they are still entertaining reads and serve as great stocking stuffers if you have parents who fell into a Soundcloud rap hole and fired up Garageband wanting to make the dope beats and the dope rhymes.

Ego-Trip's Book of Rap Lists
us.macmillan.com

Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists

Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists is more popular than racism! Hip hop is huge, and it's time someone wrote it all down. And got it all right. With over 25 aggreg...

Dilla Time: The Life and Afterlife of J Dilla, the Hip-Hop Producer Who Reinvented Rhythm
us.macmillan.com

Dilla Time

WINNER OF THE PEN/JACQUELINE BOGRAD WELD AWARD FOR BIOGRAPHYNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER“This book is a must for everyone interested in illuminating the idea...

Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
us.macmillan.com

Can't Stop Won't Stop

Can't Stop Won't Stop is a powerful cultural and social history of the end of the American century, and a provocative look into the new world that the hip-ho...

The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop
www.penguinrandomhouse.com

The Big Payback by Dan Charnas: 9780451234780 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

“There has never been a better book about hip-hop…a record-biz portrait that jumps off the page.”—A.V. Club The perfect read for music lovers and business aficionados alike, The...

WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE READING
Back when bloodsucking corporate brands were handing out cash to be associated with cool (before they realized it was cheaper paying influencers directly) they funded a lot of interesting shit. Red Bull was particularly prolific with the bag and while they've since shuttered that initiative they collected all their content into 'Red Bull Music Academy'. While not necessarily hip-hop focused (its purview was electronic created music) it remains a great resource with links to the original videos and transcripts of interviews from Young Guru and Just Blaze talking about the early Roc A Fella days to Metro Boomin, Sonny Digital, Zaytoven reminiscing about the early ATL scene. It's a fun little rabbit hole.

www.redbullmusicacademy.com

Red Bull Music Academy

Explore the Red Bull Music Academy archive, tracing the global music institution’s more than 20-year history

WHAT IF I WANT TO DO THE HIP-HOP, WHERE DO I START?
I mean, google motherfucker. But here's some quick and easy resources on basic ideas; Ableton has a good mini-course on synthesis which gives you an idea on shaping sounds which is a basis for hip-hop and techno/house alike:

learningsynths.ableton.com

Learning Synths

Learn about synthesizers via Ableton’s interactive website. Play with a synth in your browser and learn to use the various parts of a synth to make your own sounds.

Someone re-created a browser version of the Roland 808 Drum machine which remains a staple of hip-hop production. Perhaps you will be the next one to be flown out to Wisconsin to have your ears bleed from marathon Kanye West rants work on the new Kanye West album!

iO-808

A fully recreated web-based TR-808 drum machine using React, Redux, and the Web Audio API.

TO CLOSE
Considering many of the architects are passing way before their time without receiving the acknowledgement they deserved I hope that we take time to reflect and give props to our elders and those that passed too young. This is also a space to celebrate unheralded acts that don't get to rock arena and stadium stages but whose flows and production styles (ahem) do. And of course, the new Kendrick album.

While art is generally passively consumed it is not the same in Hip-Hop. When a commuter is confronted with bubble letters on the side of a building, two dancer throw moves back and forth, a DJ is reads the crowd trying to figure out what to play next and when someone is rapping bars it is a living conversation.

That said, what are we listening to this week?

Last edited:
OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Welcome y'all! Was on CP time, but it's up. Also, sorry that Future record is too goddamn long even though it's consistently solid; at the end of it I almost called my boo up to break up with em and was walking around the CVS pulling down cough syrup from the shelves. No album should be longer than 45 minutes.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Y'all have fun.

And stream "Plan B" by Megan Thee Stallion.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Recently started listening to this J. Cole mixtape, really solid. Recommend Stick and Starting 5.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome y'all! Was on CP time, but it's up. Also, sorry that Future record is too goddamn long even though it's consistently solid; at the end of it I almost called my boo up to break up with em and was walking around the CVS pulling down cough syrup from the shelves. No album should be longer than 45 minutes.
i hear ya

it might be combination of me aging but i can't be caught listening to any album longer than 50 minutes max, and a drop of a deluxe edition three days after the release of an album gets a hard skip from me, regardless of the quality of the extra tracks because i don't have time for that shit

and for the artist(s) that i am a big fan of or even a longtime fan of, i can't be caught listening to their albums more than twice in a row, dunno

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
So what are the thoughts on Harlow's album? I'm halfway through my initial listen and I'm liking it a lot.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
i hear ya

it might be combination of me aging but i can't be caught listening to any album longer than 50 minutes max, and a drop of a deluxe edition three days after the release of an album gets a hard skip from me, regardless of the quality of the extra tracks because i don't have time for that shit

and for the artist(s) that i am a big fan of or even a longtime fan of, i can't be caught listening to their albums more than twice in a row, dunno

It's like, I can do it. But it's gotta be a purpose and has to 'flow' and usually it ends up being hard drive dumps which is why Deluxe editions can just get thrown together because its more of the same shit.

Like when it ends up being that long my standouts end up being the weirder sounding shit, even if its not as good, just because it breaks the monotony. He shouldda went the self-titled/HNDRYXX route when it was two records, one a bit more street, one a bit more R&B. Here it's just Future oversaturation.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This IDK & Kaytranada album is fuego.

IDK...ehh. Something comes off as try-hard around him...kinda makes me wish someone who can do more club friendly tracks was on it...or if we gotta go rappity rap J.I.D.

Kay is a cheat code for dope beats, I mean id listen to this instrumental only in two seconds; right into the summer playlist.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
New Future is max levels

New Push is great too.

That's where I'm at recently. Mostly been listening to wayyyyyyyyyyyy much DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Is Jack Harlow have such hype behind him because he is a handsome white man? Like, his verses and songwriting is fine but not particularly unique.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Is Jack Harlow super popular? Like I know he's generally famous but is he becoming some sort of "megastar"?

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Is Jack Harlow super popular? Like I know he's generally famous but is he becoming some sort of "megastar"?

I feel like he is right on the cusp. His last single went to number one in the charts just about everywhere.

As an aside, have you seen the amount of writers on his most recent album? Donda levels but half the album length. That single I mentioned had I think 8?

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Is Jack Harlow have such hype behind him because he is a handsome white man? Like, his verses and songwriting is fine but not particularly unique.

I mean, when has that not been the case when a white rapper blows up that quickly from the 'underground'? I will say tho, he seems genuinely in it for the art of it. There was an EST Gee interview on Nojumper (ugh) that talked about how Harlow fucked with him when he didn't know him and was getting him booked for shows and giving him collabs.

www.youtube.com

EST Gee on How Jack Harlow Ignored The Police's Warnings About Him

Gee talks about his strong relationship with Jack Harlow!-----CHECK OUT OUR NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLISThttps://open.spotify.com/playlist/5tesvmDS8h50LkjnSAWMOs?si=j...

it feels like luck and tbh whitness is why he's here, but considering its solid although unremarkable not mad at it; he could be selling half-warm Three 6 Mafia leftovers that was the wave for white southern rappers for a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to the Blackstar album 3 times out of respect for everyone involved and it's...fine. Every track is like a very solid 7/10, yet nothing stands out enough to make me want to go back. The mixing being ass isn't doing it any favors either.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
He is popular and on the cusp of mega stardom, I'd say. It's not guaranteed but he's pretty smart when it comes to branding himself.

He generally has fantastic singles (practically speaking, no one cares about album cuts when it comes to popularity), women seem to be thirsting for him non-stop (especially on Black Twitter), and he's always going viral for being hilarious (whether it is the skits with Druski, making Saweetie shook, that latest Emma Chamberlain moment, etc.).

He's got cross-gender appeal (not so common in the genre IMO) and knows how to play the PR game better than his white rapper predecessors, that's for sure. We'll see when his album numbers come out but I suspect his persona will carry him no matter the quality of albums he drops.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Didnt know there was a hip hop thread here:

Anyway. Someone released some Kendrick reference tracks for Jay Rock/Baby Keem. Idk if these were already out or not.
Jay Rock/King's Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EojSHs3mqs

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While the samples are the bedrock of hip-hop, there's a shit fucking load of untaped potential with 70's funk and soul that tbh even revivalists now don't really do a good job of capturing (shit, look at the Summer of Soul doc from last year, their 2020 contemporaries aren't in the same universe). Im hoping a big part of the album is in this lane.

Also, gotta laugh at how effectively we are in the 70's regarding the economy, gas prices, Russia beef, and shit show in higher office might as well get the good tunes that go with it. Lets clone Sly and Parliament members and lets get this popping.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
That second verse of The Heart Part V... WHEW. Digging the production a lot too.

Part IV was better than the entirety of DAMN. though so I'm not too excited yet, but it's a good sign.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I haven't listened to the new Kendrick in full yet...

But, whew, what an iconic Gaye sample to choose...

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to The Heart Pt 5 and wanted to go back to 4 again.. how long has that been off Spotify?

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017

Strong disagree there, things are trending to much shorter songs and much shorter album tracks. I be just getting into the groove of songs and they just end. I need songs to be at least 3:30 in length with at least 10 tracks.