• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
She's not wrong, but we also can't just have our troops in this mess forever. This was a huge mistake that should never have happened, and there was no way to fix this without it going bad. Keeping troops there really is not the answer

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a 6 minute interview and she talks for most of it, and she also talks about that the US should have a visa program for Afghan refugees if things do go south after the withdrawal.

BBC just chose that one quote, added "warns", and ran with it for the headline.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
oh well

shouldn't have been there in the first place. get them out
Even if Al Gore was president and 9/11 happened, there was likely no way he'd have been able to avoid going in. He would have gotten skewered domestically by pretty much everyone.

I think the error was more that there wasn't a plan, then there was a further massive loss of focus due to the terrible decision to go into Iraq.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
We know. There are trade-offs either approach. One doesn't involve our service members fighting and dying for something that will never be realized at home.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a 6 minute interview and she talks for most of it, and she also talks about that the US should have a visa program for Afghan refugees if things do go south after the withdrawal.

A visa program after saying there are going to be issues staying or going?

What a monster.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Al Gore was president and 9/11 happened, there was likely no way he'd have been able to avoid going in. He would have gotten skewered domestically by pretty much everyone.

I think the error was more that there wasn't a plan, then there was a further massive loss of focus due to the terrible decision to go into Iraq.
al gore shouldnt have gone either lol

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Who fucking cares Hilary. There is nothing we can do that sill stop or prevent the region from going to shit again. We cannot be the worlds police forever. We need to get out of the business of warring.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There are consequences to both staying AND leaving.

Shes not wrong. Not sure why the article title only leans on the negatives of leaving, instead of the negatives of both.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There are consequences to both staying AND leaving.

Shes not wrong. Not sure why the article title only leans on the negatives of leaving, instead of the negatives of both.
Clickbait. Interesting that the headline and OP chose not to mention a refugee program proposal. Which is something people here have suggested should happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

This was the second part that I wanted. Sure, leave. But have something in place for those that need to get out of the country. Visas for afghans that want it is importannt.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
ZZZ

I don't ever want to hear from the person who lost a presidential election to Donald Fucking Trump.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the great invasion. HAGS -U.S.A.

She's right about bailing and leaving a vulnerable population behind. A lesson the American military has chosen to ignore repeatedly.

She said the potential collapse of the Afghan government and a possible takeover by the Taliban could result in a new civil war.

Mrs Clinton said it was also important to protect the "many thousands of Afghans" who had worked with the US and Nato during the conflict, and said a large visa programme should be set up to provide for any refugees.

True that.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She's right, but what we've seen is that no matter how long we stay, once we pull out they're going to resurface. They just have too much support in the region.

True to all of the above.

I would like to think that there would be some international support to keep the region somewhat controlled, but I guess it's just a political grenade after 20 years.

It will fall under Taliban control again. We'll have to see what that means long-term.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
tumblr_33caa6fa2d9060d1ebf32b7f13a3bf38_59ae975d_1280.png

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Not just Hillary either, we saw the reaction when people were upset that Warren didn't immediately drop out and support Sanders.
It's simply because Bernie was the better and more likable candidate.

True progressivism is about policy first. Identity politics has only set us back, especially now that conservatives are weaponizing it against the left. Americans just want to know what the fuck our leaders are going to do to help us.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Hillary Clinton could have literally disappeared and never said anything ever again after the 2016 election and it would have done more to "preserve her legacy" than everything she has said and done since then.

She... hasn't done that much except make comments here and there? She was right about a lot of things, but voters didn't like her.

Threads like this just show how successful the decades-long smear campaign against Hillary by the Republicans has been.

And screw whoever came up with this misleading headline just to get clicks.

She's a former secretary of state. In this matter, she has more experience than most.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Saw a report this morning about afghan interpreters for the German troops, who now fear for repercussions. They should let them+family in.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I was wrong, that clip about Afghanistan was 6 minutes, the full interview was like 30+ minutes long and she talks about many subjects, including India and COVID, Putin/Russia, and others. Here's the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/2105/02/fzgps.01.html

And here's the question and her full answer:

ZAKARIA: Madam Secretary, let me ask you about a big decision that the president has made which is to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan.

There are only a few thousand there now, but they will all be gone by the anniversary of September 11th. What do you think of that decision?

CLINTON: Well, it's been made. And I know it's a very difficult decision. This is what we call "a wicked problem." You know there are consequences, both foreseen and unintended, of staying and of leaving. The president has made the decision to leave.

And I think that our government has to focus on two huge consequences. One, the potential collapse of the Afghan government and a takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban, probably with a resumption of civil war in certain parts of the country, but a largely Taliban-run government at some point in the not-too-distant future.

How do we help and protect the many, many thousands of Afghans who worked with the United States and NATO, who worked with American and other NATO-connected contractors, who stood up and spoke out for women's rights and human rights.

I hope that the administration, in concert with the Congress, will have a very large visa program and will begin immediately to try to provide that channel for so many Afghans to utilize so that they are not left in danger. There will also be, I -- I fear, a huge refugee outflow.

And of course, the second big set of problems revolves around a resumption of activities by global terrorist groups, most particularly Al Qaida and the Islamic State.

And I agree with a recent article that you have written, Fareed, that, you know, we've seen a really sharp drop in both capacity and action on behalf of Islamic terrorist groups. I don't think, though, we can count on that staying in a downward spiral if the Taliban continue to provide refuge to international terrorist groups.

And, sadly, ever since George W. Bush asked them, all the way up to the efforts at negotiation in the last months of the Trump administration, the Taliban has never been willing to separate itself from Al Qaida.

And we know that the current head of Al Qaida, who had been bin Laden's deputy, al-Zawahiri, is still somewhere in Afghanistan and Pakistan, bidding his time.

And so I think these two huge sets of issues have got to be addressed. I mean, it's one thing to pull out troops that have been, you know, supporting security in Afghanistan, supporting the Afghan military, leaving it pretty much to fend for itself. But we can't afford to walk away from the consequences of that decision.

and also for those who think she's being divisive or attacking Biden, she gives him an A, and compliments the hell out of his first 100 days

ZAKARIA: Finally, Madam Secretary, give President Biden a grade. Overall, first 100 days, how is he faring?

CLINTON: I'd give him an A, I'm a hard grader.

(LAUGHTER)

I'd give give him an A, both on effort, because he's done a couple of things so well, Fareed. He has once again embodied and modeled what a president should act like in the Oval Office, in the White House, in the world at large, with dignity, with purposefulness, with care for what he says and how he treats people.

And his attention to detail and the team that he has surrounded himself with, who are experienced at how you make the federal government work, has produced a -- just a tremendous amount of positive action to not just undo the past four years but really begin again to get the government working in the right way.

And then the passage of the American Rescue Plan, to get money into the pockets of Americans who are still suffering economically, is absolutely the right thing to do. [10:35:00]

And it got done. He was single-minded about it.

And finally, man, getting 220 million shots into arms, getting the vaccines out there, getting that supply chain fixed, using the federal government, through FEMA and the National Guard, to be part of the team in states and localities, just shows what competent government looks like, which is why he has such high approval ratings across the board. Of course he has high approval ratings from Democrats, but even among independents and Republicans.

People don't have to worry all the time. They don't have to hold their breath when -- when they see their president on television. They don't have to, you know, shake their head and wonder that, you know, a president is going to tell them to drink bleach.

I mean, we now have a mature, experienced president, and thank goodness we do.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Remember when Neera Tanden (a known war monger involved in moneyed interests) was up for Director of the Office of Management and Budget? Anyone critical of her background was painted as anti-woman, when she was purely corrupt.

I'm sorry. It's a thing. We need to focus on policy first. And, anyone who's pro-war at this point is NOT progressive.

With the amount of money we pour into the military and endless conflicts we could end homelessness, cancel student debt, and fund infrastructure deals that bring us to a grade of A+ instead of C-.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It will fall under Taliban control again. We'll have to see what that means long-term.

It means terrorists plotting and training in peace, profiting obscenely from drug exports, leading to more attacks in the US and Europe, because there's no US troops around to disrupt them.

It's true, the US barely accomplished anything during their time there, it was a futile game of whack-a-mole. But abruptly leaving the nation without a stable government and authority (i.e - one that won't fold easily to corruption and incompetence) shouldn't be celebrated. It's a damning indictment of the Bush admin, and an unenviable choice to make by Biden. I can't fault Americans for breathing a sigh of relief for all the obvious reasons, but...the bad guys now have respite. World spy networks will need to go into overtime to root out incoming attacks.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Actually, I was wrong, that clip about Afghanistan was 6 minutes, the full interview was like 30+ minutes long and she talks about many subjects, including India and COVID, Putin/Russia, and others. Here's the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/2105/02/fzgps.01.html

And here's the question and her full answer:

and also for those who think she's being divisive or attacking Biden, she gives him an A, and compliments the hell out of his first 100 days
Wow, so people in this thread have been getting their hackles up for... nothing.

Telling a former secretary of state to shut up and not dare comment about *checks notes* US foreign policy.

Come up with BS reasons all you want, but this thread is a damn good example of misogyny.

Also, still blaming her for losing in 2016 when we know how much interference there was by Russia and related interests. But it's so much easier to ignore all that and blame one person.

Well, at least I know who to block 😒

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
This shit sounds exactly like Viet Nam all over again.

Help the people who want to migrate to US when you pulling out, please. But fucking leave the puppet government you guys put in place.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not jump at a chance to tell a TERF to shut the fuck up.

Not to get too off topic here but, Hillary is not a TERF. She clarified her comments back then:

11/19/19: I've spent the last several weeks on the road with my daughter, Chelsea, talking about the book we wrote together—a book whose subtitle is "Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience." As Transgender Awareness Week draws to a close, I'm thinking about a community that embodies those traits—a community that has overcome some of the fiercest and most violent opposition imaginable.

Not long ago, I was asked about these issues. Let me be clear: transgender people deserve nothing short of full equality. As Secretary of State, I was proud to change policy so that transgender Americans could carry passports that reflect their true gender. As a candidate for president, I sought out the input of the transgender community, and put forward a platform for trans equality. I'm glad to see the Democratic presidential candidates putting forward platforms of their own.

In a time when we're living through a crisis of violence toward transgender women of color that's getting worse instead of better, cruel decrees from the White House about transgender Americans who serve our country, and an era when bullying and discrimination are being elevated like never before, it's clear that we have urgent work to do. This is a moment for every single one of us to affirm that transgender people deserve equality, safety, and opportunity. Millions of people see you, and stand by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.