• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was rooting for a dark and gritty Lizzie McGuire reboot.

Oh well. Onto that Hannah Montana revamp!

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The two episodes should be leaked, so they can be seen and the people can voice their support for the direction and style of the show they were going for.
If they are good that is.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really blame Disney if they expected a family friendly show from a family friendly show reboot. Reboots usually don't change the tone too much and "real adult with real adult problems" sounds more like a drama than a comedy.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't really blame Disney if they expected a family friendly show from a family friendly show reboot. Reboots usually don't change the tone too much and "real adult with real adult problems" sounds more like a drama than a comedy.
They were on board with the show runner and then changed their mind.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Disney greenlight something they didn't have any intention of making? Did the show runners not say what they wanted to do with the reboot?

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Sounds like they wanted more of a Girl Meets World or Raven's Home type reboot. It would be interesting to see the two episodes they managed to produce before getting shut down.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
They wanted a continuation for the fans of the original show, while Disney wanted a kids show. Considering stuff like Girl Meets World was so... whatever... I don't think it was a loss. Not much point in doing a continuation with a completely different target audience, might as well just do a new show. What the show runners wanted would have been far more successful/interesting.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

‘Lizzie McGuire’: How the Disney Plus Revival Ground to a Halt (EXCLUSIVE)

Series star Hilary Duff has remained mostly mum on the subject, but she has made her feelings known in some not-so-subtle ways.

Absolutely ridiculous. The audience that would tune in for this show would be adults. Why bother bringing Lizzie back if they weren't going to try and depict the life of an actual adult?

Why would Disney greenlight something they didn't have any intention of making? Did the show runners not say what they wanted to do with the reboot?

Disney was on board then changed their minds. Essentially it was the whims of executives who never know what they want.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
From chatter I've seen, it was going to be adult Lizzie (thought still with the cartoon version of teenage her), but there was friction between the creatives and Disney brass. Creatives wanted it to be about an actual adult with actual adult problems, and Disney brass still wanted it to be 100% kid friendly.

Damn that sucks. I really enjoyed the original show, and to have a character grow up in real time'almost' and deal with more adult issues could have been a really interesting take

I really hate Disney's constant PG squeaky clean image at times. People pay for a streaming service because they want variety ofshows and content

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney classic getting snubbed for all those Star Wars spin-offs. Hate to see it.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's really not that strange for a brand new service to go through these sort of growing pains as they nail down what exactly the brand is and what content they want.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Disney botched girl meets world 🌎 by making it too child friendly which I strongly believe lead to it's cancellation/not getting picked up anywhere else.

This reboot would've likely gone the same way.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Sucks for fans who would've wanted to see the show evolve that it got sht-canned by execs who wanted to keep the property in arrested development.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
From chatter I've seen, it was going to be adult Lizzie (thought still with the cartoon version of teenage her), but there was friction between the creatives and Disney brass. Creatives wanted it to be about an actual adult with actual adult problems, and Disney brass still wanted it to be 100% kid friendly.

this is why it's hard to get excited about any franchise Disney owns; they will never allow bold changes

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I had read about the creative direction split. What's the bet Disney just waits awhile and does a straight reboot with all new cast.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It's really not that strange for a brand new service to go through these sort of growing pains as they nail down what exactly the brand is and what content they want.

She was smart enough to understand this which was the motivation behind publicly asking Disney to move the show to Hulu. Shame it didn't work out, but this feels like bad timing for multiple reasons. Reminds me of the 2007 Writers Strike that killed off a lot of promising shows and drastically shortened others. (Sometimes to their benefit.) It's disappointing but part of why I find television storytelling so fascinating.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Disney wanted it to be a Disney Channel-type of show, everyone else wanted it to be an adult sequel to the original series. Trying to get the House of Mouse to sign off on a mature series is like pulling teeth, this was inevitable.

See the transition from Boy Meets World to Girl Meets World if you want to see how Disney imagines these sequel shows should be handled.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Really bummed to hear this. It would have been cool to see what the original team wanted to make. Fans who grew up on this show are adults now, so it makes perfect sense to have a more adult themed show. I don't know why they would want to target a younger audience that has no connection to the original show.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope the 2 episodes they filmed get uploaded just to see what it would of been like.

Or they just bring it back but change everyone's names but have it basically be Lizzie Mcguire but with the same cast.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I was looking forward to this. While I am sad it is cancelled, I guess it is better than putting out another Disney show sequel that just recycles stuff from the original.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Maybe it's because I was in college when the show aired. Some kids I babysat in the summer watched it. But a "real" Lizzie McGuire? I want to see some hypothetical arcs, as I genuinely don't understand how that would be appealing to anyone. It was the archetypal Disney Channel tween dramedy. The characters were fairly shallow with conflicts lacking any real stakes. It was inoffensively disposable to viewers and Disney alike as it was cheap to produce with a fairly limited run.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I had read about the creative direction split. What's the bet Disney just waits awhile and does a straight reboot with all new cast.

I doubt it. They've got their whole Marvel and Star Wars thing right now. That's plenty of content to release (and expensive to fund). They will just cycle to the next kids sitcom pitch on the docket with their current rising star and have it on Disney Channel.

Oct 25, 2017
The joke about her being a grown woman with her cartoon teen persona trapped inside was actually pretty interesting to me.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so Simpsons, Mando, Marvel and the fucking WOLVERINE movie are ok...Lizzie McGuire talking about sex? TOO FAR!

Is this why Malcolm in the Middle is in a weird spot?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to see Lizzie talk to her therapist about her cartoon self, tbh

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This makes me wonder about the audience for raven's home.

I think that show stayed more in the collective consciousness as a show for kids/tweens. It got the Cory in the House spin-off that also gave it more longevity among younger audiences. Then they both got meme'd to hell and back by Millennials and Zoomers, so by time Raven's House came around, it was expected to be more of the same zany kid sitcom content.

Lizzie McGuire never got the same treatment by Disney or audiences, so it didn't stay a constant thing in people's minds.Also, the show wasn't sitcom and instead was your standard comedy show filmed on a full set and it dealt with "heavier" themes than what was present on Disney's sitcoms. They had even intended to make a sequel of the show on ABC where we would see Lizzie go through her high school years and would deal with more serious content (sound familiar?) and the only reason it never panned out was because Hillary was getting a lot of offers and had previously clashed with Disney execs on the direction of the original show.

Both sides have been trying to get an adult Lizzie series off of the ground for years before D+. It's clear Disney got cold feet and decided they wanted to transform the show into a lighthearted sitcom like they did Girl Meets World.

So yeah, my point is expectations were different between Raven's House and this. One has always been a lighthearted comedy and the other had always been planned to be a show that evolved with Lizzie's age.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they did film a pilot and 2 episodes right ? Those could make it on the service?

I was looking forward to it but I do think here maybe it's Hillary who wanted something not necessarily "Lizzie", im not sure I'd want an adult drama with Lizzie's character, it's have to be fun like the original, the target audience would be kids first and nostalgic adults second but that's just me. Why bother rebooting Lizzie if they're changing what it was.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
So bummed, was excited for the adult take on Lizzie. Disney just wanna butcher it like they did with the eternally boring That's So Raven sequel.