• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
1H5TI4W.jpg

That's to get around the weird rights limbo the last few Sherlock Holmes stories are in, not an attempt to be cool

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Earlier this year I was remarking how funny it it was that "Valentine" was a stock surname in Japanese media.

Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Ivy Valentine (SoulCalibur)
Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy)
Valentine sisters (Guilty Gear)
Keith Valentine (Shadow Hearts)
Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)

Valentine is an actual surname and shows up in western media as well, of course. But it shows up a lot in Japanese games and anime with a lot of prominent characters sharing the name.

Three of these characters are undead (Vincent, Ivy, and Keith) so clearly it's associated with gothic romance. It makes sense. It's just funny think think, huh, that's a lot of Valentines.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Pretty sure Quattro has nothing to do with Octopussy (or at least I've never heard that). It is Quattro because Char is on identity #4 and Vagina (usually localized as Bajeena lol) fits with Gundam Zeta's focus on gender. There is another dude named Hymen.
Its a theory based on the fact that Octopussy came out in 1983, and Zeta Gundam came out in 1985. And yes, it could simply be because Quattro is Char's 4th name (Casaval Deikun, Edward Mass, Char Aznable) and the leader of the Titans is called Jamitov Hymen (which could be read as "Son of Jamit Hymen). In other words the Hymen and Vagina dont get along.
I know that Tomino names are Tomino names and Jamitov's name probably plays on Quattro's but the actual origin of Quattro's surname is likely based on Charles Aznavour's real Armenian name.
How many layers are there for this? It's probably impossible to know unless you asked Tomino directly.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Earlier this year I was remarking how funny it it was that "Valentine" was a stock surname in Japanese media.

Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Ivy Valentine (SoulCalibur)
Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy)
Valentine sisters (Guilty Gear)
Keith Valentine (Shadow Hearts)
Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)

Valentine is an actual surname and shows up in western media as well, of course. But it shows up a lot in Japanese games and anime with a lot of prominent characters sharing the name.

Three of these characters are undead (Vincent, Ivy, and Keith) so clearly it's associated with gothic romance. It makes sense. It's just funny think think, huh, that's a lot of Valentines.

don't forget Mr. "Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price" Funny Valentine from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (though he's from a manga and not a game originally so this might be cheating for this thread)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with Stephen Kenny? That's a normal name.
Something about including the middle name makes it parse weird / it's funny having one as normal as Kenny among all those other batshit names. For whatever reason, they do it for the entire Kenny line throughout the Star Ocean series:

Claude C. Kenny (the original Star Ocean - this one is fine / has alliteration to fall back on)
Ronyx J. Kenny (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Emmerson T. Kenny (Star Ocean: Ingegrity and Faithlessness (5))
Not japanese, but might as well come from a japanese game considering how ridiculous it is :

b77229e5835a7a0f4ee38e8e54e5e344.jpg

Mother fucking CYPHER RAIGE
Yeah, I remember seeing that name around release and knowing in my heart of hearts that M. Night Shyamalan, Garry Whitta and Will Smith (who I'm relatively sure came up with that name / the rest of the general mess that is the concept of the movie) are all big Star Ocean 4 fans.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it has to be Edge Maverick. They can't have even been unaware of the tryhard that oozes.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Something about including the middle name makes it parse weird / it's funny having one as normal as Kenny among all those other batshit names. For whatever reason, they do it for the entire Kenny line throughout the Star Ocean series:

Claude C. Kenny (the original Star Ocean - this one is fine / has alliteration to fall back on)
Ronyx J. Kenny (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Emmerson T. Kenny (Star Ocean: Ingegrity and Faithlessness (5))

Yeah, I remember seeing that name around release and knowing in my heart of hearts that M. Night Shyamalan, Garry Whitta and Will Smith (who I'm relatively sure came up with that name / the rest of the general mess that is the concept of that movie) are all big Star Ocean 4 fans.
Oh yeah, that's kinda weird. I somehow skipped over the middle initial when reading the post haha

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This is a García Hotspur thread.

"He's latino so give him one of the most common Spanish last names... as a given name!".

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Squall-Leonhart-19157-e1508673596580.jpg

This one got me ever since I was a kid. I could never take him seriously being called Squall Leonheart with 3?4?+ Lion motifs on his person. FF has a lot of these silly ones but I always found Squall the king of "its cool right!?" character designs.

Also Kor Metor from Tales of Hearts. Tales and Star Ocean are also full of nonsense cool guy names.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The bad guy in Snake's Revenge (NES) is called Higharolla Kockamamie. I swear to dog.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised no one has yet mentioned my boy Rad Spencer from Bionic Commando.

dkrwa8suiaav5zcgyjml.png

Sure, his full name is Nathan Spencer, but IIRC that was retconned in later. Either way:

Rad.
Spencer.

Ummmm... Cloud Strife.
Squall-Leonhart-19157-e1508673596580.jpg

This one got me ever since I was a kid. I could never take him seriously being called Squall Leonheart with 3?4?+ Lion motifs on his person. FF has a lot of these silly ones but I always found Squall the king of "its cool right!?" character designs.

Also Kor Metor from Tales of Hearts. Tales and Star Ocean are also full of nonsense cool guy names.

I don't think these two necessarily count as neither Cloud nor Squall are "western." That being said, I don't think this thread has been consistent about that anyway. But I at least know a bit about these characters, lol.

Edit: actually, I misremembered the thread title. Literally all four parts of Cloud Strife and Squall Leonhart are western words, so I'm wrong here. My bad!

Last edited:

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
As a non-western person, most of those names sound normal to me lol. I never knew some would be ridiculous.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The names in the Evolution JRPGs might fit:
Mag Launcher
Linear Cannon
Gre Nade
Pepper Box
Chain Gun

I guess these are themed but they're still stupid.