• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
1H5TI4W.jpg

Amusingly, NOT actually a name created by a Japanese company. Herlock Sholmes first (?) appeared in an Arsene Lupin (inspiration for Lupin III, no less) short story in 1908 because Maurice Leblanc didn't have the Doyle estate's permission to write the real Sherlock into his story.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Hope this isn't a derail, but just finished re-reading one of my favorite novels, a 1970's Russian existentialist sci-fi story called Roadside Picnic. It seems to take place in the Great Lakes area of the industrial midwest, in a fictional town called 'Harmont'. The protagonist's name is Redrick Schuhart. One character is named Aloysius McNaught. A police chief is Captain Quarterblad.

They're all insane and I love them.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Hope this isn't a derail, but just finished re-reading one of my favorite novels, a 1970's Russian existentialist sci-fi story called Roadside Picnic. It seems to take place in the Great Lakes area of the industrial midwest, in a fictional town called 'Harmont'. The protagonist's name is Redrick Schuhart. One character is named Aloysius McNaught. A police chief is Captain Quarterblad.

This phenomenon is what my cousin calls "Ameri-harding". Especially in the 70's and 80's, when bands especially had to come up with ridiculous 'American' names in hopes to make it big there.

This doesn't really count because the Japanese version uses Sammy for his name. "Skate" was a localization choice.

Streets_of_rage_2_sammy.png

The fuck?? You just ruined my childhood...

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Amusingly, NOT actually a name created by a Japanese company. Herlock Sholmes first (?) appeared in an Arsene Lupin (inspiration for Lupin III, no less) short story in 1908 because Maurice Leblanc didn't have the Doyle estate's permission to write the real Sherlock into his story.
Yeah. Still cracked me up the first time I saw it. And then I noticed the accent mark the second time, and it just killed me.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Trails rides the line between totally normal: Lloyd Bannings, Emma Millstein, to slightly off: Agate Crosner, Cassius Bright, to pure wtf: Scherazard Harvey (what does she have 1,001 tales for me?) or my personal favorite Wazy Hemisphere.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

The Strugatsky brothers had a thing for fabulous names (and I mean, they themselves had fab names, being Boris and Arkady). Dead Mountaineer's Inn (an Among Us rip-off from 50 years ago) had:

Peter Glebsky
Alek Snevar
Olaf Andvarafor
Hinkus
Simon Simone
Mr du Barkstoker
Brun
Mr Moses
Mrs Moses
Luarvik L. Luarvik

That said, Roadside Picnic is Russian first and set in a fictitious country, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Strugatsky brothers had a thing for fabulous names (and I mean, they themselves had fab names, being Boris and Arkady). Dead Mountaineer's Inn (an Among Us rip-off from 50 years ago) had:

Peter Glebsky
Alek Snevar
Olaf Andvarafor
Hinkus
Simon Simone
Mr du Barkstoker
Brun
Mr Moses
Mrs Moses
Luarvik L. Luarvik

This one's not that far off from reality.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I present to you, war hero and savior of Earth, Tarmicle Roving III. Metal Slug delivering the good shit.
Fp99Ovb.jpg

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

STICK. BREITLING.
I'm sorry-

Megamelons?

With a name like that she deserves the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 treatment.
No. No, I actually think I have to call bullshit here. There's no way in chicken fried hell that this isn't a work.
I refuse to believe this is real. lmao

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.
Apparently this is actually a kind of language joke. She's an English woman with the last name "DeCameron" which is close to how you'd say "large melons" in Japanese. So all the Japanese people in the game who've never seen foreigners in their life thinks that's her name.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

STICK. BREITLING.

Apparently this is actually a kind of language joke. She's an English woman with the last name "DeCameron" which is close to how you'd say "large melons" in Japanese. So all the Japanese people in the game who've never seen foreigners in their life thinks that's her name.

デカメロン
Yep, it checks out 😂 That is amazing

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I love you, Ace Combat series, but...

acecombat.fandom.com

Abyssal Dision

Abyssal Dision is a major character in the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere. He was an ace pilot in the General Resource Defense Force (GRDF), flying several successful sorties for the group in the past. Dision was killed in an attempt to cover-up Yoko Martha Inoue's sublimation...

And you can't forget...

46exvQJ.jpeg
She's actually "Melinda Decameron" in Japan though.
(... and yeah, "deka meron" could be translated as "huge melons"...)

Pretty sure it's supposed to be "Bulsara". As in "Farrokh Bulsara", Freddie Mercury's birth name.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You can blame France for that one. Herlock Sholmes originated as a replacement for Sherlock Holmes' name in the Lupin novels.

Edit: and I was really late.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shadows of the Damned's "Garcia Hotspur" is ridiculous, but it fits with the tone of the game.

Travis Touchdown is another great name from a Suda51 game.

Oct 8, 2019
There's Quattro Vagina (a reference to Octopussy) from one of the Gundam Vs games

I am pretty sure that this is also the only game that actually spells his name correctly

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno if localization counts but the first game in the Senkogu Basara series got it bad.

Sengoku Basara -> DEVIL KINGS!
Date Masamune -> AZURE DRAGON
Yukimura Sanada -> SCORPIO

I think that one bad localization killed the series in the west.

God this right here. I loved this series and a big F-U to Capcom for that god awful localization job.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Schtolteheim Reinbach III

It's a deliberate joke though, I know