• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Weird...... but... I don't think this is as uncommon as people might think, of people embellishing parts of who they are and then eventually the embellished version of them becomes them, and they embellish in some other way. I think this is just famous enough and enough people might care about this celebrity (or w/e she is?) that we're more likely to pay attention to it.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
When I tell people I'm Canadian, they probably assume I was born in Canada. My accent also changes heavily when I'm around my family in Canada. Granted, I'm not married to Alec Baldwin.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
White people love other cultures, its like adding Sriracha to mayo.

Like being rich wasn't enough she's gotta appropriate a whole culture to make herself feel better.

If she spent her infancy here she's not aproppiating our culture, she was part of our culture.

Really, we don't care, specially in Mallorca we have a huge ex-pat community, from the UK and Germany , but also americans, french etc. They're welcomed to feel Mallorquins.

Their kids are actually Mallorquins

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
A guy I worked with insisted everyone call him Jose and had all these stories of Ecuador, it worked out for a while until he was eventually outed as Joseph and had no history with Ecuador and wasn't even of Latino descent. People are weird.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So, I just went through most of that video, and unless you can find a time stamp specifically where she claims she was born in Mallorca, I'm not seeing it. Hilaria says she moved to New York for school from Mallorca where she grew up, and she says her parents still live there.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I honestly don't get mad at gringos trying to be Spaniards or Hispanic. If they like the culture so much and they respect it, they can join in.

She should just be honest, say was born in the States but spent a lot of time with family in Spain, that she identifies more with Spaniard culture.

OP
OP
Oct 22, 2020
So, I just went through most of that video, and unless you can find a time stamp specifically where she claims she was born in Mallorca, I'm not seeing it. Hilaria says she moved to New York for school from Mallorca where she grew up, and she says her parents still live there.
It could be possible that she did spend some time in Mallorca as a kid, but she's lying in that video, as it has been shown that she attended high school in Massachusetts, at the very least.

I think the most generous interpretation here is that she has allowed people to make a series of assumptions about her background and not really gone out of her way to correct them.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So if they got nothing better than an anglicised name, this is a nothing story. I mean is Martin Sheen not of Spanish heritage because he doesn't use his birth name?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I mean, if she grew up equally in Spain and Boston, she can claim whichever she want's, right? Spain is a European country, not an ethnicity. Did she claim to be a Latina? or just that she claims the country as where she hails?

Also, the source was Alec Baldwin's stalker who was convicted for stalking... so clearly no motive to twist any facts, right?

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
From what read her mother is white and father is from Spain. If she identifies as Spanish well I mean that is totally fine. Just because some one said she grew up as a white kid doesn't mean shit. I am half Mexican half Cajun French (White). I identify more as Hispanic but grew up in a normal American setting.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It could be possible that she did spend some time in Mallorca as a kid, but she's lying in that video, as it has been shown that she attended high school in Massachusetts, at the very least.

I think the most generous interpretation here is that she has allowed people to make a series assumptions about her background and not really gone out of her way to correct them.
That sounds like it could be accurate to me, yeah. But I think that's different than the conclusion that is being suggested by the article in question, especially when it ends inconclusively. It's just shitty journalism and people reading the headline and jumping the gun without reading the article or actually delving into it.

squallmx

Oct 25, 2017
White people pretending to be white... Weird but at least she did not pretend to be non-white.

Oct 25, 2017

I think the most generous interpretation here is that she has allowed people to make a series of assumptions about her background and not really gone out of her way to correct them.

Your last part is the people are missing. It's that she kept up a "lie" in order to further her fame.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can overdo an accent, you can lean into your family heritage more than is justifiable for dubious reasons, those are somewhere between exaggerations and lies, but they're not 100% objectively true/false things. They're not binaries.

The "I came to America to go to college" story when you went to high school in Boston, that shit is wild. That's just factual.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
White people love other cultures, its like adding Sriracha to mayo.

Like being rich wasn't enough she's gotta appropriate a whole culture to make herself feel better.
stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com

#20 Being an expert on YOUR culture

White people are pretty conflicted about their culture. On one hand, they are proud of the art, literature, and film produced by white culture. But at the same time, they are very ashamed of all …

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You can overdo an accent, you can lean into your family heritage more than is justifiable for dubious reasons, those are somewhere between exaggerations and lies, but they're not 100% objectively true/false things. They're not binaries.

The "I came to America to go to college" story when you went to high school in Boston, that shit is wild. That's just factual.
I mean, in fairness to her, she says she moved here for College, and grew up in Mallorca, which both can still be technically accurate. Which seems to be the crux of this. She never outright seems to have claimed to have been born in Spain, but she claims that she grew up there, which she feels makes her Spanish.

Oct 25, 2017

Bingo

People are fixating on the "Well she split time, so who cares" while over looking she tried to keep up a persona that is just not factually right.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bingo

People are fixating on the "Well she split time, so who cares" while over looking she tried to keep up a persona that is just not factually right.
Again, what she said can be factually right. The article literally even ends inconclusively on whether she has Spanish ancestry, so their own point about her could be false. What we can say factually is that she identifies as Spaniard, claims to have grown up there, and moved to the States for University.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bingo

Exactly. It's straight up lying for her to claim she only returned to the United States for college if she literally went to high school in the Boston area.

From there, given the rest of the nonsense, you have to consider why lie about that. That lie is helping support the rest of the questionable conduct for this persona.

It's bizarre, at best.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She literally never claims this. She said she moved to the US for college, which is different from "I only ever returned to the US for college".
Apologies for the word choice, then, though I didn't mean "return" to literally mean "never ever visited ever".

"She moved to the US for college". She was in the US for High School.

At best, it's a lie by omission.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, what she said can be factually right. The article literally even ends inconclusively on whether she has Spanish ancestry, so their own point about her could be false. What we can say factually is that she identifies as Spaniard, claims to have grown up there, and moved to the States for University.
Not really. She can really be that persona if she lived here when she was a kid

She's claiming a particular life style that is definitely stretched.

She went to high school in the US, her family is rooted in the US, and she went to college in the US. She even says she was born in Boston.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. It's straight up lying for her to claim she only returned to the United States for college if she literally went to high school in the Boston area.

From there, given the rest of the nonsense, you have to consider why lie about that. That lie is helping support the rest of the questionable conduct for this persona.

It's bizarre, at best.

moving to the states for college doesnt meant she needs to be actually going to college right away, some people move a year before, so they can acostumize to the country and shit and not being with a huge cultural shift.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
She's claiming a particular life style that is definitely stretched.

She went to high school in the US, her family is rooted in the US, and she went to college in the US. She even says she was born in Boston.
That does not preclude her from identifying as a Spaniard if, as she claims, she grew up in Mallorca.
Apologies for the word choice, then, though I didn't mean "return" to literally mean "never ever visited ever".

"She moved to the US for college". She was in the US for High School.

At best, it's a lie by omission.
Again, not necessarily. If she was living in Spain and came to the US for high school, then returned to Spain, she was studying abroad. If her assertion is that she permanently moved to the US when she came here for University, that can still be true. Again, it's difficult to ascertain what her intention is when she makes the statement so briefly in the context of an almost hour-long conversation, and again, it doesn't match the claims being suggested in either article.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who spends time "investigating" this is a fucking creep, much weirder than the story itself whatever they are supposedly claiming.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
The cooking show bit where she does the whole "how you say in a-english? Ehhhh....cucumBER?" is truly deranged.

Another fun wrinkle in this is that her and Alec have 5 kids: (from Wikipedia)

They have five children together, daughter Carmen (born August 23, 2013),[SUP][98][/SUP] and sons Rafael Thomas (born June 17, 2015),[SUP][99][/SUP] Leonardo Angel Charles (born September 12, 2016),[SUP][100][/SUP] Romeo Alejandro David (born May 17, 2018)[SUP][101][/SUP] and Eduardo Pau Lucas (born September 8, 2020).

Yikes. Here's hoping she actually has some heritage and isn't just enlisting her kids in her insanity.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
imagine giving much more a fuck about whether she's actually spanish or not (even though she spent most of her childhood there) and not for the well being of this woman who is certainly getting harrassed by random fuckos on the internet cause of this. like, this piece used her name from a yearbook as some sort of smoking gun. lmfao some of yall need to get a life

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's not the issue I'm taking, it's playing up a persona to create a career

Did you watch this video?

She didn't user her persona to create a career. She's a yoga instructor, and she gained fame from marrying a very famous actor.

Also, I don't think that video is really as damning as you think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.