• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I've decided I wanna jump into the hiking and camping world,mostly for the pursuit of a new hobby and the health benefits of being more active and getting some mental clarity that come with it. I'm looking to start with some weekend getaways,2-3 days in the wilderness.

So I'm seeking advice from those of you in the game. What's your essential gear,what is absolutely needed and super helpful out there? Excellent brands of foods and equipment I should look into? Good1&2 person tents,sleeping bags,hiking packpacks ECT,whats great out there? What's your favorite places to hike? I'm in central US,gonna look into Colorado trails and spots. Thanks!

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see someone else loving to backpack. I'm sure you'll love it. I used to go a few years ago with my wife, but haven't recently due to health problems.

I'd advise a light backpacking tent. Have had good experiences with Big Agnes tents. You'll also want a proper backpack, I'd suggest a Gregory pack. Make sure to buy some quality outdoor shoes, such as Salomon Quest 4D 3 Gortex. Other items to consider. Flashlight (Fenix PD35 V2), lantern, headlamp, Nalgene water bottle, little waterproof sacks of different sizes to put your clothes in, sleeping bag, water filtration system (MSR), hiking poles (Black Diamond), small hiking pillow that rolls up small.

That's all I can think of right now. I've had personal experience with all these items and they've served me well. Just make sure to do your research before buying anything. When you're out in the woods, you want quality items that won't fail you. Happy hiking!

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
Honestly you do not need much to start with. Comfortable clothes and shoes, baseline tent and a sleeping bag. Bag to hold all the stuff. Hiking and camping is an endless money sink if you want it to be and i feel like a lot of blogs and youtubers kind of give the impression that you have to have ultralightdyneemaeverything wowen by Tibetan monks.

Shelter and sleeping is probably the thing you want to spend money first if you have nothing. If you can borrow the essentials you can, and should, try them out for a night without spending money on something you might not even enjoy.

Hammock is the true king of camping and I suggest you give it a try.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Headlamp. It can get dark really fast in the forest. Also make sure to tell people where you're camping/hiking and make sure to let them know when you're planning to return.

If you get a 1-2 person tent, it'll feel like a coffin. Oh, if you do get a coffin, make sure when you get a sleeping bag, that the side the bag opens on is a match for the side the tent opens on. I've got a 1-person and a sleeping bag and I've got to unzip it on the left and flop it open to get through my tent's door on the right and oooohhhh maaaan does it infuriate me every time I gotta take a whiz.

Start off with smaller, less ambitious excursions (hour-long hike, one-night of car camping), to sort out any unforeseen issues. Like maybe you don't like your shoes, or maybe you don't like the size/shape of your water bottle. Figure that out before you're two hours from the trailhead, or on your second night in a tent.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
You just need a crappy waterproof tent, crappy poncho, crappy sleeping bag, blanket, a good sturdy knife, few means to start a fire, map of your area, compass would be great, little more food and water than you think you need, parachute cord would be awesome, some books or entertainment, waterproof bag with a spare outfit socks and undies, possibly spare shoes.

In this era probably handy to bring a shitty phone and just use your sim with it since you'd likely take your phone but don't want to break it and it'd be smart to have a spare battery for it in case you need it for an emergency.

I wouldn't spend much on gear myself outside of the backpack. If we're talking decent weather what I'd do, if never having done it before is trial run with cheap shit somewhere safe and close to civilization and see what you miss, what you want. To me I like to travel relatively light, I don't care about having good meals I like the walking around so I'm not going to be packing sterno or some other fuel or cookware or anything like that. I don't care about sleep outside of staying dry so I don't care about carrying a mat. I'd basically be just like I was in the Army except as a civilian I'd want a map, didn't always have that in the Army, a cellphone because why the fuck not(might work might not!) and since I'd be alone I'd look at the map before hand and see if there's any place I'd go in the event of an emergency so I had a plan, something I didn't have to do. And again, since I'd be doing it alone or with another person and not 30 people with a big chain of command knowing where we were I'd tell a friend or even a boss your plan, maybe even give him/her a map of where you're going with locations you plan on hitting marked down in the event you don't come back so they can have someone look for you.

Once you find out what you like, don't like then you can start spending good money on equipment but in the beginning I'd expect it all to get tore the fuck up.

OP
OP
Lockness Mobster
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone for your input and advice its much appreciated,Ill look into those brands suggested. Anyone else wanna share?

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Good to hear someone is interested in hiking/backpacking here. It's one of my favorite things. I will second the notion of considering hammock camping. I'll never camp on the ground again if I have to. I use a Dream Hammock Sparrow, a local Ohio company makes these to order. Most of the gear I own is custom made from cottage retailers throughout the country like Dutchware, Hammock Gear, and Enlightened Equipment. I use Osprey backpacks and Black Diamond hiking poles.

1wobNis.jpg

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Twice as much water than you think you'll need, and 2 flashlights with fresh batteries. That's the most valuable information I remember from like 10 years of Cub/Boy Scouts. Oh, that, and that peeing on a campfire will make it smell bad.

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
Bring more warm clothing than you think you'll need if you're camping in the Spring, Winter or Fall. It's easy to forget how cold you can get standing outside for a couple hours. Especially true if you're talking about camping in the Colorado Rockies. It can be a hot 80F during the day, and get down to the 30s or lower at night if you're at high elevation.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going only a few days at a time you don't need to worry about ultralight gear and such that you are going to see - that is for more advanced hiking. For beginners, here are some things you will want to think about.

Socks - get merino wool socks. I prefer Darn Tough - they are guaranteed for life. If you don't have wool socks, you will regret it.
Clothes - no cotton. If you get cotton clothes wet they take forever to dry and have no insulation value left. Use wool or synthetics only.
Get a sleeping pad - sleeping on the ground with just a bag will suck the heat out of you when its cold and will be very uncomfortable. They also make inflatable pillows - that can add a lot to your comfort.
Sleeping quilt over a sleeping bag. The quilt is more versatile.
Someone else mentioned a headlamp - make sure to have one. You can use a flashlight but the headlamp is so much more convenient.
Water filter. I use the Sawyer squeeze. One day hikes you can bring enough water, and maybe even 2 days if you go crazy. 3 days you won't be able to pack enough so you are going to need to filter water.
Depending on where you are hiking you may need a bear bag to hang your food from a tree. In many areas you do not want to be sleeping with food. Critters will chew thru your tent to get at it.
Trekking poles - for stability if you are hiking rocky trails (and some tents use the poles for setup). Cork grips are the comfiest.
Don't forget the bathroom. Bring a trowel/spade. Don't be that guy.
Hiking boots/shoes. Most long distance hikers will use trail runners over boots. Whatever you use make sure it fits properly! Make SURE your toes aren't slamming into the toebox when you walk downhill unless you want to discover what its like for your toenails to fall off.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Get a Opinel No.9, a small compact Gas Burner (Primus spider for example), Therm-a-Rest matte, good synthetic Sleepingbag, a good Backpack (vaude, Mammut, Arc'teryx but test it beforehand with added wheigts!), A lightweight tent (Naturehike from AliExpress), good shoes either trail running shoes for the sunny days and some sturdy ones with a Vibram sole and goretex for the rainy muddy days. An most importantly a good Thermos for your coffee or tea needs!

Minus the tent, matte, sleeping bag for a day hike this will set you back probably 300 bucks and 150-200 if you buy used.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
If you are going only a few days at a time you don't need to worry about ultralight gear and such that you are going to see - that is for more advanced hiking. For beginners, here are some things you will want to think about.

Socks - get merino wool socks. I prefer Darn Tough - they are guaranteed for life. If you don't have wool socks, you will regret it.
Clothes - no cotton. If you get cotton clothes wet they take forever to dry and have no insulation value left. Use wool or synthetics only.
Get a sleeping pad - sleeping on the ground with just a bag will suck the heat out of you when its cold and will be very uncomfortable. They also make inflatable pillows - that can add a lot to your comfort.
Someone else mentioned a headlamp - make sure to have one. You can use a flashlight but the headlamp is so much more convenient.
Water filter. I use the Sawyer squeeze. One day hikes you can bring enough water, and maybe even 2 days if you go crazy. 3 days you won't be able to pack enough so you are going to need to filter water.
Depending on where you are hiking you may need a bear bag to hang your food from a tree. In many areas you do not want to be sleeping with food. Critters will chew thru your tent to get at it.
Trekking poles - for stability if you are hiking rocky trails (and some tents use the poles for setup). Cork grips are the comfiest.
Hiking boots/shoes. Most long distance hikers will use trail runners over boots. Whatever you use make sure it fits properly! Make SURE your toes aren't slamming into the toebox when you walk downhill unless you want to discover what its like for your toenails to fall off.

I wear Altra shoes that have an ultra-wide toebox. This helps prevent this situation. I currently have a couple pairs of Lone Peak 4s, the "waterproof" one and the lighter summer boot. They both are very comfortable and I have giant wide feet. 15, 4E

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Bring a cheap 5-6 dollar pillow. A proper pillow for sleeping is such a huge comfort upgrade, that I'll always recommend taking the extra weight. And plenty of spare socks, and change at least every day.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Bring a cheap 5-6 dollar pillow. A proper pillow for sleeping is such a huge comfort upgrade, that I'll always recommend taking the extra weight. And plenty of spare socks, and change at least every day.
I did the entire Vermont Long Trail with two pairs of socks. (Darn Tough, of course, it IS Vermont) The trail is 270 miles and it was a 24 day trip with a couple zero days. Make sure you have synthetic or wool socks that dry quickly. Also you can put extra clothes into a stuff sack to make a pillow every night if you don't want the extra pillow weight.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I wear Altra shoes that have an ultra-wide toebox. This helps prevent this situation. I currently have a couple pairs of Lone Peak 4s, the "waterproof" one and the lighter summer boot. They both are very comfortable and I have giant wide feet. 15, 4E

Large foot hikers unite! I wear a 14, 4E. Nothing will ruin a hike faster than a pair of ill-fitting shoes or boots.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Hiking and camping are my favorite things to do. You can do them for dirt cheap or spend a fortune on the best gear. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle - I opt for reputable brands but can't usually justify shelling out for the 'luxury' outdoor brands. Going too cheap will probably result in stuff that won't last very long, and going too expensive will probably result in great gear but with diminishing returns.

For hiking, the main requirement is a decent pair of hiking shoes or boots. I wear Merrell as they're affordable and offer wide sizes - my girlfriend swears by Keen.
Optionally some hiking poles, they're useful for steeper trails. If bugs are an issue where you are (as they can be for me in northern Ontario), get some decent hiking pants and long sleeve shirts that are breathable, and get them in lighter colors like tan. I'd recommend Darn Tough socks - they seem to last forever and keep their cushion, and are breathable. I started with 1 pair of those and now have about 3 - easily worth the money compared with buying a bunch of socks that become garbage over time.

I'd suggest getting a small or medium sized pack for day hikes, something that is made for hiking (waste belt and chest straps are key). Typical things I bring on day hikes: water (big bottles), snacks, bug spray (in spring), sunscreen, camera stuff, emergency headlamp and poncho, small first aid, bear spray. I don't really have much experience with backpacking, but you'll need a bigger pack for it (depending on how many nights). I own a large Osprey bag for backpacking, and I wouldn't really want to use it for day hikes; I just take my smaller North Face bag and it is perfect for those purposes.

I mostly have experience with car camping. Items I typically bring for 1-2 night car camping trips: tent (keep in mind 1-2 person tents are tight fits, ideal for backpacking but less comfortable when you have a car); sleeping mat (depending on temperatures, ensure it has enough insulation/appropriate R-value for night temps); stove w/ fuel (bigger two burner one for car camping, for backpacking you'd want a tiny portable one if anything); coffee making rig (I use either a portable french press or a percolator, but instant would work if you can stomach it); Cooler (many campgrounds sell ice there if you don't want to buy ahead); Fire starters/lighter (campgrounds sell wood here). Otherwise, I bring my hiking stuff as well because I like to hike during the day when camping.

The nice thing about car camping is you can be a bit more indulgent with what you bring. You lose some of the absolute privacy that you'd get with backpacking. However in my opinion, depending on the campground and the campsite you reserve, you can still have a really nice time. With backpacking you have to make a lot more choices, and a lot of them are based on weight/size. You also don't have campground amenities like washrooms or showers. But the privacy you get could be worth it depending on the type of person you are.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hope you have fun and stay safe in your adventures :)

machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to be very specific since your needs will be different depending on what your plans are. I mainly set up at campsites and do day hiking. Your equipment needs are simpler since all you really need is a tent, sleeping bag, good boots, and a cooler full of beer and food. I also have an annual pass for the Michigan state park system. If you are going to wilderness hike, it's a little more involved since you need to carry everything with you in a good backpack including lightweight tent and sleeping bag, food, water, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
For backpacks I'd personally recommend Osprey. Quality products with an insane warranty. If they can't fix it they'll replace it regardless of when it was purchased. Also, if you have an REI next to you those are great to get hiking/camping gear from.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I don't do much overnight stuff, but I hike very regularly (well over 100 miles a year) as I live really close to the Smoky Mountains.

Shoes and socks are the most important part of the hike. The rest is all weather dependent, but hiking shoes and socks are one of the few industries where you really do get what you pay for and you cannot overprepare for. A good pair of mid-length Keen hiking shoes will prevent a lot of injuries and last years. Smartwool socks will cushion your foot on steep up and downhills or just really long hikes that tire out your feet. Find a store like REI and get professionally fitted for shoes; those people know their stuff. I really cannot stress this area enough for hiking. You can get by with budget moisture-whicking pants and shirts, but don't skimp on your shoes and socks.
Oh yeah, and bring water.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I found this thread. Like so many others, I have discovered that I like Hiking and being outdoors. I live in NC, so I want to start backpacking soon. I have Gregory Pack, but have no idea if I should get shoes or boots for longer hikes.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I have Gregory Pack, but have no idea if I should get shoes or boots for longer hikes.

Depends on what kind of terrain you are hiking in and what weather conditions you expect. Most long distance hikers wear trail runners, but some prefer the rigidity of boots (and I myself wear boots in the winter). Try both. Trail runners are shot after about 500 miles and boots after about 1000, so you'll burn thru plenty if you really take up serious hiking. See what you prefer.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so glad I found this thread. Like so many others, I have discovered that I like Hiking and being outdoors. I live in NC, so I want to start backpacking soon. I have Gregory Pack, but have no idea if I should get shoes or boots for longer hikes.
I wear boots because I'm overweight and need the ankle support. I tried shoes before and the lighter weight is great but after a turned ankle cut a trip short I went back to boots.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I just started hiking again so it's awesome to see you jump in. People have given really good suggestions so far.

I usually use tennis shoes (new balance sneakers) to go on hiking trails but there's plenty of more stabilizing footwear for purchase. Merrell is a great brand; I've had one pair for 20 years.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
nice warm and compressible down sleeping bag
head lamp
water filter
good socks

Actually, for OP specifically but also anyone, i have a brand new, in box katadyn hiker microfilter water filtration system i'd like to sell (i got it as a gift and already have one). $50 shipped?
www.rei.com

Katadyn Hiker Microfilter | REI Co-op

The lightweight, reliable and easy-to-use design makes the Katadyn Hiker microfilter a great choice for backpacking and trekking.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is an older thread that got bumped, I wonder if OP got started on their camping adventures? How did it go?

Anyway, regardless, for newcomers I would recommend starting with car camping to begin with, before jumping straight into wild/backpacking camping.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Lots of good suggestions already, not much new to add.

1. Good shoes/socks - the boots are an item to spend a little more money on. They will be your most used item if you're backpacking or doing lots of hikes when car camping. Protecting your feet is important.
2. Tent - here, I don't think you need to go to the top of the price chart (Big Agnes [$350],MSR [$400], etc), a $200 tent from someone like Marmot will do you just as good. Maybe invest in higher gear here only once you know you're going after some ambitious hikes.
3. Water filter - if backpacking, this is an essential. The Sawyer system ones and Katadyn are good. On my group backpacking trip last October, one Katadyn like op_ivy is selling was pumping out a gallon of clean water in no time at all.
4. Head lamp - nothing fancy, but an essential in my book.
5. Backpacks - like the tent, go mid-range. Something from Deuter or Osprey will do you very well. I have several, dependent on what type of hike I'm going on.

OP
OP
Lockness Mobster
Oct 27, 2017
This is an older thread that got bumped, I wonder if OP got started on their camping adventures? How did it go?

Anyway, regardless, for newcomers I would recommend starting with car camping to begin with, before jumping straight into wild/backpacking camping.

Haha well I have kinda sort of! I've been doing alot of research since I've posted, got pretty wrapped up in gear reviews and trail reviews ect. Took me a fair bit to decide what to start off with but I've collected a good amount of what I need to get started. Only a handful of more items on my list and I'll be fully satisfied...for now anyways ha.

Earlier this summer I bought a Gizelle T4 and started with backyard camping and then camping at the local state parks with family. Love that tent, literally a minute to set up,durable, spacious,and tall too Im 6'3 and can stand in it without any problem. Already thinking about snagging the T4plus hub version.

As for hiking gear I ended up starting with a Gregory Baltoro 65,Nemo Aurora 2p tent (coming this week!) and Nemo Disco and Tempo sleeping bags for my big three. Really digging Nemo as a brand. Also got most my lil odds and ends including a cookpot n stove ,eating utensils,medical kit,mini pillow,water filtration device, paracord, various sized dry sacks, lamp/flashlight combo, knife. Still on the lookout for an awesome sleep pad,eyeing a Nemo Tensor and a lightweight chair,eying Helinox brand. After that I need to research some clothing and shoes maybe hiking poles and I'll be all set! Thanks for the suggestions on those things everyone :) Got friends in the Denver area who are gonna suggest some trails also downloaded the AllTrails app. Glad to see this thread getting some more traction :)

Last edited:

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Condoms. Not just for their primary use but for emergency situations - waterproofing, holding water, surgical glove etc. Ideally without lube.

Also echo another form of protection, good boots, I got a stress fracture from walking too much (not exactly hiking) in unsuitable shoes.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
glad to see you starting strong. Two things I didn't see mentioned upthread (forgive me if I'm wrong):

100% always always always tell someone, or multiple people, your exact plans, where you'll be and when, a rough timeline etc. Exploring is fun but if god forbid you get lost you want someone you know, love, and trust to be able to have a head start on finding you. Also download maps of where you'll be to your phone for where there isn't service. The likelihood of disaster happening is small but it's a literally-free precaution that can save your life.

On a similar note if you want to do some exploring you can usually buy cheap (sub-$200) and lightweight GPS trackers, both for giving you access to things away from cell coverage and also in the event you get lost. Do NOT buy a flare gun.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Good to hear someone is interested in hiking/backpacking here. It's one of my favorite things. I will second the notion of considering hammock camping. I'll never camp on the ground again if I have to. I use a Dream Hammock Sparrow, a local Ohio company makes these to order. Most of the gear I own is custom made from cottage retailers throughout the country like Dutchware, Hammock Gear, and Enlightened Equipment. I use Osprey backpacks and Black Diamond hiking poles.

1wobNis.jpg
Doesn't that wreck your back? It looks so uncomfortable to me, who usually sleeps on their belly.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I really recommend foam sleeping pads over the inflatable one. just strap it to the outside of the pack since they don't get as small when you aren't using them. They are cheaper and lighter a lot of the times. I also find them more comfortable + warmer.
Something like this: foam sleeping pad

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Doesn't that wreck your back? It looks so uncomfortable to me, who usually sleeps on their belly.
It's the absolute opposite of wrecking your back. You lay at an angle, you don't sleep banana style. Your lay is almost completely flat. Your back seems to just fall into perfect alignment when sleeping in a hammock. I've had low back problems my entire life, a night in a hammock sets me straight. I wake up feeling better than I do when I use my bed.

And to sleeping on your belly, you actually can pull that off in a gathered end hammock. Lots of people do it. Check out hammockforums.net for more info on the infinite combinations of gear that can create a hammock rig.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Might need another thread for this, but has anyone any experience camping in their car? I have a roomy estate and was thinking of making some modifications for day trips etc.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I normally sleep on my stomach, but I LOVE my hammock. I tend to angle my feet a little lower on the tree so I'm in a reclined sitting position and I get some of the best sleep ever. So comfortable.

And to sleeping on your belly, you actually can pull that off in a gathered end hammock. Lots of people do it. Check out hammockforums.net for more info on the infinite combinations of gear that can create a hammock rig.
Woah... that's a game changer there. I'm going to have to check this out! Thanks!

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I do a bit of wild camping when I can (Scotland). Nothing too extreme lol.

To start out just get a nice one man tent, a decent rucksack and a decent sleeping bag. And undersheet if you think you need it. Unless I'm on the beach I don't really like starting fires, particularly up in the hills/woods, so if you are going for a few a days and want hot drinks/food get a decent stove that doesn't take too much room. Pack light.

Covid ruined my plans this summer unfortunately but I'm going to try get out if it ever stops raining lol. Everyone should try it, it's so mentally refreshing getting away from everything and everyone, even if for a night and enjoying the outdoors.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Here are some of my suggestions:

First Aid Kit - Good to have some basics in an easy to navigate package. Found this one for $12 and it's well organized and light.

Water bottle - Hydration is key when you're hiking, especially if you're going vertical. Get a double walled steel bottle so your drink always stays cold if you load it up with ice.

Gloves - I find they're handy to have in your backpack in case the terrain gets a little rocky or messy due to weather. Nice to have that extra grip to grab onto things

Energy snack - I always start my hike with one, and then reload as necessary.

Lifestraw - Or some other water filtration system (a Sawyer for instance). I ran out of water hiking Mt Mansfield due to unexpected heat, and had to borrow a friends Sawyer. Now I have my own Lifestraw if that ever happens again.

GoTenna Mesh - If I'm with a group, we keep these handy as backups to be able to text and locate each other in case of no cell phone service. They allow point to point texting and GPS when there's no service available.

Pemethrin spray - Good treatment to apply to your hiking clothes to repel mosquitoes and ticks

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
Might need another thread for this, but has anyone any experience camping in their car? I have a roomy estate and was thinking of making some modifications for day trips etc.
I'm just starting out on modding my truck for car camping. I'm more of a glamper so comfort is an important consideration. So far I've acquired a Rooftop Tent, Decent Cooler and am going to build a storage system in the rear to carry things for recreation/recovery/first aid/cooking. What are you driving? I'm in a GX460 currently.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Going to follow this thread for advice. I also am looking to get into hiking. Would like to try camping someday, but I'm going to start out slow.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017

Great list, especially the "no cotton" advice. Cotton is not your friend.

I'd also highly recommend bringing a windbreaker. I cannot stress enough how great they are at keeping you warm. I used to think my pricey Patagonia down jacket + a fleece and other underlayers would suffice, but a frigid mountain wind still pierces through all that. Getting a windbreaker was a game changer for me. And they're so thin and light.

To give you an idea of my clothing:
  • 1st layer: a synthetic exercise T-shirt or Under Armour during the day, and Smartwool thermals for colder weather/nights.
  • 2nd layer: one of those Columbia long-sleeve outdoor shirts and REI convertible hiking pants. I also have a pair of prAna pants that are lighter weight and nice for warm weather hikes where I still want to keep my legs covered. (I dislike having skin exposed to the sun/bugs, so I always have long sleeves and pants even in hot weather. I also wear a headscarf and gloves.)
  • Outer layers: windbreaker, fleece jacket, down jacket, poncho.
  • Also: polarized sunglasses, full brim sun hat, and merino wool socks.
Here's some basic layering/clothing advice from REI:
www.rei.com

Layering Basics | REI Co-op

Learn the basics of how to layer clothing so you can make quick adjustments based on your activity level and/or changes in the weather.

OP
OP
Lockness Mobster
Oct 27, 2017
Here are some of my suggestions:

First Aid Kit - Good to have some basics in an easy to navigate package. Found this one for $12 and it's well organized and light.

Water bottle - Hydration is key when you're hiking, especially if you're going vertical. Get a double walled steel bottle so your drink always stays cold if you load it up with ice.

Gloves - I find they're handy to have in your backpack in case the terrain gets a little rocky or messy due to weather. Nice to have that extra grip to grab onto things

Energy snack - I always start my hike with one, and then reload as necessary.

Lifestraw - Or some other water filtration system (a Sawyer for instance). I ran out of water hiking Mt Mansfield due to unexpected heat, and had to borrow a friends Sawyer. Now I have my own Lifestraw if that ever happens again.

GoTenna Mesh - If I'm with a group, we keep these handy as backups to be able to text and locate each other in case of no cell phone service. They allow point to point texting and GPS when there's no service available.

Pemethrin spray - Good treatment to apply to your hiking clothes to repel mosquitoes and ticks
Great list, especially the "no cotton" advice. Cotton is not your friend.

I'd also highly recommend bringing a windbreaker. I cannot stress enough how great they are at keeping you warm. I used to think my pricey Patagonia down jacket + a fleece and other underlayers would suffice, but a frigid mountain wind still pierces through all that. Getting a windbreaker was a game changer for me. And they're so thin and light.

To give you an idea of my clothing:
  • 1st layer: a synthetic exercise T-shirt or Under Armour during the day, and Smartwool thermals for colder weather/nights.
  • 2nd layer: one of those Columbia long-sleeve outdoor shirts and REI convertible hiking pants. I also have a pair of prAna pants that are lighter weight and nice for warm weather hikes where I still want to keep my legs covered. (I dislike having skin exposed to the sun/bugs, so I always have long sleeves and pants even in hot weather. I also wear a headscarf and gloves.)
  • Outer layers: windbreaker, fleece jacket, down jacket, poncho.
  • Also: polarized sunglasses, full brim sun hat, and merino wool socks.
Here's some basic layering/clothing advice from REI:
www.rei.com

Layering Basics | REI Co-op

Learn the basics of how to layer clothing so you can make quick adjustments based on your activity level and/or changes in the weather.

Awesome thanks!

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I normally sleep on my stomach, but I LOVE my hammock. I tend to angle my feet a little lower on the tree so I'm in a reclined sitting position and I get some of the best sleep ever. So comfortable.

Woah... that's a game changer there. I'm going to have to check this out! Thanks!
Definitely check out bridge hammocks. Dutchware makes a great one, so does warbonnet.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm just starting out on modding my truck for car camping. I'm more of a glamper so comfort is an important consideration. So far I've acquired a Rooftop Tent, Decent Cooler and am going to build a storage system in the rear to carry things for recreation/recovery/first aid/cooking. What are you driving? I'm in a GX460 currently.

Ha, nothing so posh as a truck in my case (we don't really get them so much here) it is just a Mazda estate, but there is plenty of sleeping room once I lower the back seats, and it is flat so I could certainly get a mattress in there. I am thinking likewise of some kind of cooling which could fit under the seats and a decent sized water jug. It would only literally be for the odd night here and there, so didn't want to get too extravagant with ripping parts out of my car, as it is also our general run around, so would need to be able to return to its original condition.