• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. I'm willing to make an exception if I'm lost out in the wilderness.
But, if he was able to get calls he could have surely made a call. Maybe he didn't feel he was lost?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
ive never gotten a voicemail. serious question, how do you check on them on an iphone?
It's the right-most option at the bottom of the Phone app:
411805.image0.jpg

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"i'm lost on a fucking mountain. car insurance is the last thing on my mind right now"

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when that hiker said they'd only answer unknown calls over their dead body, you better take it seriously.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Unless my phone marks it as spam, I'm answering 100% of the time. Too many near misses from work not too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I get that. Every call I get from an unknown number i assume it's spam unless they leave a real voice mail.

The details of the story seem to be that the guy went hiking, didn't return at his set time after 24 hours or so, found his way back on his own, but rescue crews went out to look for him which he didn't know and he never picked up the phone to tell the rescue crews he was safe.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation doesn't make any sense. He is lost but doesn't try to reach anyone while his phone is working ? The rescuers are calling repeatedly without leaving any sort of message or text ?

I don't want to say there is another party involved, but...

Oct 25, 2017
This whole situation doesn't make any sense. He is lost but doesn't try to reach anyone while his phone is working ? The rescuers are calling repeatedly without leaving any sort of message or text ?

I don't want to say there is another party involved, but...

And if the phone had data access you could just access a map online

Maybe the guy wasn't actually lost, they just thought he was lost because he didn't come back on time?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the park rescuers. situational awareness should apply to phone behavior.
It doesn't sound like the guy ever considered himself to be actually lost, so it makes sense that he didn't pay much attention to these calls. It likely didn't even cross his mind that people might be looking for him.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
If I was in his position I would shatter my phone into a million pieces if the one time I answered a number I didn't recognize and it was a spam call.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing would happen to me.

I get at least 5 robocalls a day and up to 15 on bad ones.

All the more reason to put money into hunting down the robocallers and throwing them under the prison

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's unclear to me whether the phone calls came in while he was even on the mountain. This may've all been a big misunderstanding. Like, I don't know how they track hikers, but it sounds like they were looking for the guy and eventually found that while he had gotten a bit turned around and stayed out longer than intended, he was chilling at home while they were still searching for him.

So yeah, I think the lesson here isn't "pick up your phone if you were recently hiking, because it might be park services thinking you're lost," it's "park services, leave a voice mail/send a text, and maybe get yourself listed by name in Caller ID: some people don't just pick up unknown numbers."

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't answer calls unless I see it's someone in my contacts; don't have a voicemail for people to leave messages. I'd be dead in the woods for sure.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
He had his phone on him the whole time and didn't reach out to anyone. I'm guessing it wasn't that bad of a situation.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't answer the calls either. All these robocalls and scams. "There's a warrant for my arrest? Send them to this mountain in Colorado. I'm still lost." lol.
I can just imagine getting spam calls out there. "No, I don't want extended car warranty."

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
If he had service and wasn't using his phone to contact anyone or GPS I don't think he thought he was in any serious danger. If anything those calls could have drained his battery.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we should do something about how people are being conditioned to ignore literally any phone call from a number that's not already in their contacts. Who is lobbying in favor of robocalls, exactly?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should do something about how people are being conditioned to ignore literally any phone call from a number that's not already in their contacts. Who is lobbying in favor of robocalls, exactly?

The GOP of course.

Trump actually removed a lot of the laws preventing it as well.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Maybe leave a voicemail also? I have my phone auto silence unknown numbers but they can still leave a voicemail. I check it if only to remove the red indicator so at least I would know it was officials…or if my vehicle warranty has expired.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kid you not this is a barrier in making myself apply elsewhere, even though my job is a living hell. Because today I had 8 robocalls (presumably; flagged as scam likely), yesterday 5, day before 4, last Friday 11… I can't make myself answer every robocall in hopes I'm getting a call back for a new job.

Our house phone routinely gets 15+ scam calls. Every day. It's to the point we don't even pick it up unless it rings back-to-back. Then we know it's a person, and not scum trying to run Medicare scams on our Dad.