• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Happy for them! Their work has been very influential for me through the years.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Hikaru Utada's art had a big impact on a young me. Going to find some of my old CD's and chill out while I work today.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, didn't expect that one but that's awesome for them. I grew up on Hikki.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
One of my favorite singers of all time, and now I respect them even more. Amazing. It must have been hard to come out. They're so incredible! I felt so moved ;___;

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of my longtime favorite singers. Happy to hear they're going to live more truly according to their own heart and mind, and gets me that much more psyched for new music from them . šŸ’œ
Way to go Hikki!

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Love that for them!

Also it's funny watching that Twitter video, I realized I'd never really heard Utada speak despite listening to their music for years. They're so charming!

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the title sells them short a tad bit lol. They're pretty much the face of Jpop and one of the best selling artists in Japan period.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
1200px-Kingdom_Hearts_logo.svg.png

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm super happy that Utada can be who they are. Brings a tear to my eyes.

One of my biggest life regrets was never seeing them live in Chicago back in 2010. The circumstances were such BS due to a relationship that had reached the end of its life. I hope one day I can fix that if they ever go on tour again. Pretty wild to think that I've been listening to Utada's music in general thanks to the intro of KH1 from nearly 2 decades ago.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall if I've heard their music much, but they seemed really happy announcing that they're non-binary, good for them!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Utada is the fucking best.

Beautiful as always. Live your truth, Utada! Probably the one person on Earth I'd still love to meet in person (met or worked with most of the people I've been dying to meet my whole life at this point).

I can't recall if I've heard their music much, but they seemed really happy announcing that they're non-binary, good for them!
I recommend Heart Station and Ultra Blue. They're both amazing.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Utada but I got distracted by what initially looked like some elaborate sleeve tattoos(on my phone). That'd look really cool on them.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Utada is the fucking best.

Beautiful as always. Live your truth, Utada! Probably the one person on Earth I'd still love to meet in person (met or worked with most of the people I've been dying to meet my whole life at this point).

I recommend Heart Station and Ultra Blue. They're both amazing.
Automatic just came in my playlist, and it's still amongst my personal favorites.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I feel like the title sells them short a tad bit lol. They're pretty much the face of Jpop and one of the best selling artists in Japan period.
Agreed. I didn't wanna be pedantic, but I really think the title doesn't properly address how famous they are. They're one of the most famous pop artists ever in Japan.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Oh MAN this is amazing!! I'm so happy they felt able to come out about it!

So many of us queer people being so into her make so much sense now šŸ˜‚

J75

Sep 29, 2018
They rock.

I feel this now adds a new layer to the theme they did for this drama which deals with LGBT issues.

Banger too.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
So happy for them!

I'm super happy that Utada can be who they are. Brings a tear to my eyes.

One of my biggest life regrets was never seeing them live in Chicago back in 2010. The circumstances were such BS due to a relationship that had reached the end of its life. I hope one day I can fix that if they ever go on tour again. Pretty wild to think that I've been listening to Utada's music in general thanks to the intro of KH1 from nearly 2 decades ago.
Same, I really regret not seeing them at the NY show for that tour. I need to see that trilogy of Exodus songs live one day.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A legend. An icon. A monarch. <3

And then there's Kuma, who I'm a bit jealous of tbh... imagine being Utada's gay best friend. I hope he appreciates them.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Love them! Very happy for them. It's great to see Wikipedia is already updated to reflect this.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This made me chuckle. Too bad the tweet showing the wiki image used "her".

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I did a double-take reading the headline, because this will likely make a LOT of (hopefully positive) waves in Japanese society for LGBTQ people generally and non-binary people in particular because of how their fame basically forces the conversation. So, with any luck, good for them AND the country they call home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

Agreed. I didn't wanna be pedantic, but I really think the title doesn't properly address how famous they are. They're one of the most famous pop artists ever in Japan.

I wholeheartedly agree and I will freely admit that was being aggressively conservative when I wrote that title šŸ˜….

I just wrote a title that many would grasp instantly as when I was sharing this with inside circles in other places, I was repeatedly asked who they were.

Mods are free to retitle as it's supposed to be. J-Pop Icon and all-round GOAT Hikaru Utada!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to hear. All of the Kingdom Hearts themes fucking slap. We stan a legend. I wish them much happiness.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yaaaas. Smiled like an idiot when I read this earlier.

Super super happy for them. Gonna blast their tunes the rest of the day for sure.