• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
So the 13th episode of Gou was straight-up lying to the audience then?

Obviously the assault scene is completely different, bearing practically no resemblence to what happened or who it happened to. But also: if Keiichi snuffed it at Satoko's house then that hospital scene obviously couldn't have happened. Also, in this impossible meeting Rena doesn't bother mentioning Satoko shooting herself and says Ooishi killed her.

I get that deceiving the audience is a WtC staple but Jesus Christ do I feel insulted.
Yeah the story switches from third person objective pov/Keiichi's pov to... Satoko's lie for no reason other than deceiving the audience. It's pretty awful but it's on par with Sotsu being an awful mystery.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it lied? It showed it from Keiichi's perspective, which in this episode was him walking into a room covered in blood and being hit HARD on the head before even seeing Teppei's corpse and them getting hit on the head multiple times after that too. From Keiichi's perspective everything we see will be unreliable because he's literally getting his head beaten in

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it lied? It showed it from Keiichi's perspective, which in this episode was him walking into a room covered in blood and being hit HARD on the head before even seeing Teppei's corpse and them getting hit on the head multiple times after that too. From Keiichi's perspective everything we see will be unreliable because he's literally getting his head beaten in

The scenes are in synchrony in the beginning. Keiichi gets hit and lands in front of Teppei's face, which is when the furious Teppei with red eyes appears, but by the time Keiichi is jumping and attacking Teppei it's completely off. That had no counterpart in "reality".

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Keiichi didn't see anything, he just got beaten over and over but because he's made of steel he didn't die and instead went into a coma.

Also unreliable narrator in Higurashi is in the line of "character has brain worms so he sees a pencil as a needle" and that K1 didn't even have Hinamizawa syndrome or anything. Heck it's not even an hallucination, it's just a lie Satoko told Ooishi.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this ep confirms definitely both Ooishi and Rena have the flattest asses of Hinamizawa.

Big if true.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Sotsu 12:
Is this the record for most recycled footage? At least they did get through most of the neko loops. I was afraid the Akasaka thing would take up the whole damn episode. Next week I'm sure we'll get the disemboweling scene in its entirety plus some extra footage, then we can start on the "perfect" world. Maybe we'll even get to the gun scene by the end of episode 3 for a whole one episode to conclude things! I still think Satoko will end up realizing that forcing Rika to be with her won't lead to happiness and she'll end up turning the gun on herself.

The intro with Hanyuu didn't tell us much. The only thing I found notable was her talking about her boredom and commenting that she was happy to see Rika come back to her even if it meant the worst. Eua could still end up being the part of Hanyuu who never wanted Rika to leave. We now know Hanyuu was searching for Eua and I'm definitely looking forward to that confrontation. Hopefully it goes better than Satoko vs Witchtoko. I'm still not clear if that fading Hanyuu Rika spoke to was just a fragment of her left behind while Hanyuu searched or if it was a projection of Eua. Also we know Satoko is aware of the sword but not the shard so that could still end up being relevant somehow.

I do think we can potentially finish this up in three episodes. Hanyuu defeats Eua, Satoko defeats her witch, and we get a nice deux ex Hanyuu to wrap things up.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I liked they recapped all of Neko but made sure to not explain how she injected all these people.

Also Saikoroshi is canon.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saikoroshi being canon is really stupid. It basically means Rika learned nothing from it and her speculation about Bernkastel existing in a higher planet now was just chuuni rambling. It's also overall really odd with the idea of Rika wanting to escape from Hinamizawa because if that were an issue back then you'd think she'd just have stayed in the other world, where Hinamizawa would be buried in one year.

I guess it has to remain in continuity though if Rika isn't killing anyone, considering Bernkastel's line about eating flesh, which is generally taken to be a reference to killing her mother in Saikoroshi.

I liked they recapped all of Neko but made sure to not explain how she injected all these people.

Also Saikoroshi is canon.
I'd at least have liked some kind of explanation for the Keiichi scenario. The timing and his actions there are just very weird. It'd probably come down to her telling him something before an off-screen injection though, like what they did with Akasaka.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Rika also tell Hanyuu not to bring her back if she died again at the end of Saikoroshi? Seems weird that neither of them would bring that up if its meant to be canon. Of course I'm going off the anime version here.

I guess if it must be reconciled you could head canon up the explanation that some variance in the timeline prevented Saikoroshi from happening to the Rika that is currently looping seeing as how the OG Rika was last seen headed to Angel Mort in 1988.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Rika also tell Hanyuu not to bring her back if she died again at the end of Saikoroshi? Seems weird that neither of them would bring that up if its meant to be canon. Of course I'm going off the anime version here.
Yes, that happens in the VN too. But that goes alongside the speeches about how she should think about the other worlds as dreams and live like a normal human girl with only this one life. None of that matters at all in Gou, since she was driven by the trauma from her loops in order to get away from Hinamizawa.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

I guess if it must be reconciled you could head canon up the explanation that some variance in the timeline prevented Saikoroshi from happening to the Rika that is currently looping seeing as how the OG Rika was last seen headed to Angel Mort in 1988.
I don't think we'll get an explanation for which Rika is looping, the way the story is written feels like it's written for Rika 1 but she never died. I'll chalk it to Higurashi never really caring about past fragments much or just Sotsugou being Sotsugou. A lot of stuff are weirdly forgotten and ignored, like a certain green haired girl obsessed with the Houjos...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we'll get an explanation for which Rika is looping, the way the story is written feels like it's written for Rika 1 but she never died. I'll chalk it to Higurashi never really caring about past fragments much or just Sotsugou being Sotsugou.
I think we'll get a flashback to the future again, it's the only context where the new designs for the club would fit at this point if everything is really over by episode 15.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Oh also, what's up with the sword?

Satoko steals it in Neko's 1... and leaves a fragment there. Then she does it again in all fragments leaving a fragment every time?

But the sword is clearly not present in Wata (but I think the fragment is there too?).

???

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get a flashback to the future again, it's the only context where the new designs for the club would fit at this point if everything is really over by episode 15.
Maybe. Perhaps Rika suicides after finding Satoko dead hoping for Hanyuu to loop her again. On the other hand we never actually see Satoko die the first time to start looping either so I think there's also a chance that she can somehow be returned to that world.

I don't think we'll get an explanation for which Rika is looping, the way the story is written feels like it's written for Rika 1 but she never died. I'll chalk it to Higurashi never really caring about past fragments much or just Sotsugou being Sotsugou. A lot of stuff are weirdly forgotten and ignored, like a certain green haired girl obsessed with the Houjos...
I've just been assuming it was the Rika who was killed by the chandelier.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Ending in 15 episodes is kind of weird for any anime season, isn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if there was more after that.

Also, yeah, it's weird that the sword wasn't present in Wata, maybe it's something only loopers can interact with, or maybe it'll be explained later... in the manga or something.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. Perhaps Rika suicides after finding Satoko dead hoping for Hanyuu to loop her again. On the other hand we never actually see Satoko die the first time to start looping either so I think there's also a chance that she can somehow be returned to that world.

I've just been assuming it was the Rika who was killed by the chandelier.
Those designs are completely new though, and Rena's and Mion's hair styles don't seem to be the slightly longer college aged designs. They're most likely the high school ones which were completely skipped during Satokowashi.
84wAZSo.jpg

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Those designs are completely new though, and Rena's and Mion's hair styles don't seem to be the slightly longer college aged designs. They're most likely the high school ones which were completely skipped during Satokowashi.
Ah, I had not scrutinized their OP appearance that closely. Interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Or it's possible Satoko eventually just loses, and gets sent to a world where Rika doesn't exist and we get a new timeline hence the new designs.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Or it's possible Satoko eventually just loses, and gets sent to a world where Rika doesn't exist and we get a new timeline hence the new designs.
I mean, if we're getting a third season that's very likely too, but I was assuming we'll end everything by episode 15. There's no way they'd just end the series with something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we're getting a third season that's very likely too, but I was assuming we'll end everything by episode 15. There's no way they'd just end the series with something like that.
Considering how heavy the actual recaps have been, and they're still not rushing to meet the deadline I can't see it ending by episode 15. I feel like the entire Neko arc could have been skipped or shown in two scenes if they really wanted it too. It feels like we're gonna get another continuation in some form.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is..so, dunno, pointless? What does Gou/Sotsu add exactly? I will still wait for this to finish but with three EPs left, cannot see this wrapping up in a decent away aside the mega obvious Bern and Lambda fucking off to metaverse to troll each other for eternity

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
But the sword is clearly not present in Wata (but I think the fragment is there too?).
I've been thinking about this and yeah it's a head scratcher. Was this just sloppy writing or more outright lying to the audience? Is there another looper? Did Eua make it vanish so Shion wouldn't find it? Is it only visible to the Furude family and loopers? Are the Gou arcs not exactly the same but rather repeats of events that occur after Sotsu? Will season 3 just be the same arcs all over again to show us what happened? Perhaps the saiguden itself is somehow untethered to any particular fragment and changes made within it persist across all worlds, although that begs the question of what happens to the sword and shard when they're taken out and we move on to another fragment. Sotsu has an actual mystery going for it all of the sudden.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Gou manga just got to the gun cliffhanger. The chapter had a few changes compared to the anime episode...

web-ace.jp

各話一覧|ひぐらしのなく頃に 業 - 竜騎士07/07th Expansion / 赤瀬とまと|ヤングエースUP

ひぐらしのなく頃に 業 を無料で公開中!それは祟りか、運命か。必定の惨劇に、挑め。「ひぐらし」新アニメ作品をコミック化!!

-We don't follow Rika's thoughts regarding figuring out the culprit at all, she acts and even monologues like she's just happy to be with her friends in Hinamizawa and that she learned to look past the tragedies which made her forget her happiness. The trap basically comes out of nowhere, which actually makes me question if her monologues during this chapter are reliable at all.
-Satoko is seen with a holster tied to her leg before the actual cliffhanger reveal.
-All the Rika scenes involving Takano and Tomitake were skipped, although this might tie into the above point about the chapter clearly hiding her thoughts in spite of it being narrated by her. Hanyuu's Nekodamashi scenes so far also have been completely skipped. It seems like this will be Sotsu-only material in the manga.
-Shion is in Satoko's birthday party too, unlike in the anime where she's missing, but she just gives her the same gift Mion does.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Sotsu 13:
The fireworks factory is on the horizon!

After dragging things out so much for the past two episodes I was shocked to see the rest of Nekodamashi get the speed run treatment. I thought for sure we'd spend some time getting Satoko's thoughts on the perfect world. Silly me for thinking Sotsu would ever want to explore anything about Satoko beyond her being an inhuman monster. It's my own fault for having expectations that all of this season's stalling of the plot would be worth something I guess.

So as far as we know the Rika that Satoko has been after was not the original Mastsuribayashi-hen Rika who was last seen heading to Angel Mort. Hanyuu doesn't seem to recognize this, saying "this is not the world you chose." It's possible next week could flash back to that original world and show us that Rika was killed by Satoko or maybe that she decided to suicide after finding Satoko dead (anything to further delay the gun scene, right?). This also seems to keep the door open to getting back to the world Rika "chose" somehow. I hope something to that effect is addressed because that split from the original Rika has always bugged me.

Hanyuu is confirmed to be a part of Eua, although no real insight was provided on how they split or why Eua would be such a monster. I was disappointed we did not see Satoko drop in on them.

I'm pretty convinced this will end in two episodes after that fast forward. There's not really that much to wrap up now. We'll see what Hanyuu's miracle amounts to provided we do get back to the gun scene rather than go off on a tangent next week. I still think she'll turn the gun on herself and we'll get another Satoko vs Satoko battle. Some character development for Satoko in Sotsu would certainly be a miracle.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for watching! The story has finally begun to move in a big way!
(Mion's VA)

It's weird how this episode has seemingly turned everything around with the entire build up now going towards Rika's move, rather than Satoko's.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

This has to be the most on point criticism of SotsoGou I have seen

How did these tragedies start? Satoko injected them all. No mystery there,

When did Satoko become a full-on anime action star? No explanation.

How did Tatari happen when R07 said Ooishi wasn't injected? Silly audience, Ooishi was injected and R07 was just lying to you.

What really happened in Satoko's house? The scene we saw was a complete fabrication and we straight up did not see anything resembling reality.

How did Rika piece everything together? She didn't.

Why is the shard there with no sword? Satoko just stole the sword and broke it. The same way. Multiple times. Because this little, mass-murdering mastermind is so incompetent that she cannot remove the sword correctly or notice that a piece broke off multiple times in a row.

How did the statue break in Wata? No explanation.

How does Satoko feel about Satoshi, knowing the truth? Sato-who? Nii-nii? Nah man, that guy's not in this show, it's all about Rika now.

What's Satoko thinking about as she commits these atrocities and how do they affect her as a person? No idea. She did have split personalities at one point, but that plot point's been dropped.

HOW, THE FUCK, DID SATOKO INJECT MION?! HA. HA. HA.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
What was the significance of Hanyuu not saying auau and being confused when Rika asked her about it? Apparently there was none.

How did Satoko know Rika was on the verge of giving up when she chose to seal the deal with the watanagashi? Just a coincidence.

What does Satoko think about finally achieving her goal of getting Rika to stay in Hinamizawa? *shrug*

I've never seen a story so disinterested in itself or its characters. Every moment that's set up as potentially significant turns out to be nothing. It happens so often that I have to wonder if it was done on purpose. The end of episode 10 was like a statement of defiance. Oh, you thought we were actually going to start doing something interesting with Satoko in the last five episodes? Fuck you, have some more Gou scenes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Hanyuu's situation might still have a pay off, although it seems like it will be just a plot mechanic (explaining why the "lingering scent" Hanyuu and Eua exist at the same time, since this episode cofirmed they're the same being somehow) rather than related to her character at all, which does make her not acting exactly like the original Hanyuu kind of weird since that's effectively who she represents. So, there's really no point to her character being slightly off.

No Satoko point of view once she seemingly accomplishes her goal was a really weird choice though. I guess they might be saving all characterization for when Rika and Satoko confront each other? But then that just makes the existence of this answer arc structure even more baffling if it couldn't even actually give answers to the viewers during the recap parts (that took half of the arc...).

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
You know I wonder what Higurashi only fans are going to make of this Featherine stuff. Umineko fans at least have some context (Based on a convo in ep. 8 and the guidebook that hinted the connection years ago) and while Hanyuu's was always a "vague" character introduced pretty late, she was largely tied to Hinamizawa's history and lore, which allowed her to fit into the story.

But now you have this chick who is apparently Hanyuu's true form with no explanation whatsoever taking over Higurashi's story and changing it forever. I wonder if they are going to try to explain it or just leave it like this. Only 2 episodes left now...

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they are going to try to explain it or just leave it like this.
I have a strong suspicion it will be the latter. Ryukishi's insistence on creating a shared universe is really doing Higurashi and its characters a disservice IMHO. It seems to be the only reason this story exists.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine most Higurashi-only fans are going to do the same thing with Gou/Sotsu that I imagine most broader When They Cry fans will: file it away in the "let's just go ahead and ignore that forever" box alongside the Umineko anime, the Higurashi fanservice OVAs, the gacha game, and all the other stuff that people who like this franchise have already gotten used to forgetting exists.
It doesn't have any merits as an individual work, and it doesn't add positive anything to the series as a whole. There'll be no reason to pay attention to it once it ends.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
There is a theory going round on the Higurashi Reddit that this whole anime is marketing for the next part of Ciconia, mainly due to Viet being name dropped again. Another theory is that sadistic Eua and little Hanyuu will merge to form the Featherine we see in Umineko.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the most pointless revivals/sequels I have seen in my life. All this accounts to is obliterating Satoko as a character and shitting on OG's ending. The amount of relatively untouched recap is also maddening.
This cannot be saved in the amount of episodes left, aside going full trainwreck with Battler crashing in and punching everyone or K1 becoming a witch.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the most pointless revivals/sequels I have seen in my life. All this accounts to is obliterating Satoko as a character and shitting on OG's ending. The amount of relatively untouched recap is also maddening.
This cannot be saved in the amount of episodes left, aside going full trainwreck with Battler crashing in and punching everyone or K1 becoming a witch.

Still impressed you guys have the strength to continue after all these recaps. Honestly from the end of the first question arc things seemed weird to me, and I know this is gonna sound like an odd complaint but one of the bigger issues I had with the show was how it handled gore and horror.

Like with the original I still have these strong feelings of terror, and that's just gone here (and I reread the manga before Gou aired so I know it's not just because I've seen all this before). I dunno if it's also due to the brighter color palette but it just feels like Passione isn't trying to be scary at all here and the lackadaisical way they handled future episodes (especially the later Rika loops) made the gore veer more into comedic horror than anything scary. The Satoko butchery is the cherry on top as well, liked her a lot in the original : (

But the complete misunderstanding of why people like the answer arcs are what makes me really shake my head and wonder who thought this was a good idea. Like even if it wasn't just straight recaps, I don't feel like having answer arcs for Gou was the right call because we already know who the master mind is. It's already lost the main appeal (at least for me).

Some part of me is like "surely there must be a point to all this" but I dunno why I'm even that optimistic when I haven't even watched Sotsu 😂

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
There is a theory going round on the Higurashi Reddit that this whole anime is marketing for the next part of Ciconia
I think this show has actually made me feel less inclined to check out Ciconia, especially if Eua/Featherine is going to show up. I've had quite enough of Ryukishi07's all-powerful author avatar, thank you very much.

But the complete misunderstanding of why people like the answer arcs are what makes me really shake my head and wonder who thought this was a good idea. Like even if it wasn't just straight recaps, I don't feel like having answer arcs for Gou was the right call because we already know who the master mind is. It's already lost the main appeal (at least for me).

Some part of me is like "surely there must be a point to all this" but I dunno why I'm even that optimistic when I haven't even watched Sotsu
I thought the characters would be the point rather than a mystery. In an interview at the beginning of the season R07 referenced the gun scene and posed the question of if Satoko would have the will to pull the trigger on Rika. Considering she had just performed a fucking ritual disemboweling on Rika one loop earlier my question was "why the hell wouldn't she be able to pull the trigger?" I fully expected that to be the question these arcs were "answering" but that was a bust. The best case scenario is another Satoko vs Satoko scene even though there was absolutely zero build up to it.

I'm reading the VN right now and just finished Meakashi. It's hard to believe it was written by the same guy. There's plenty of parallels between "demon" Shion and "witch" Satoko right down to the "where did I go wrong?" dialogue, but Shion's motivations are constantly reinforced and she has moments of self-reflection throughout her entire downward spiral. As a result he managed to keep her sympathetic no matter how awful she became. I had hoped Sotsu would tell a similar story but one where the protagonist is able to successfully fight against their monster side rather than rely solely on a world reset for redemption. I doubt next week's Satoko/Rika confrontation will hit anywhere close to as hard as Keiichi offering himself up to the demon while pleading with it to give Mion back.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this show has actually made me feel less inclined to check out Ciconia, especially if Eua/Featherine is going to show up. I've had quite enough of Ryukishi07's all-powerful author avatar, thank you very much.
Same here. I am too damn tired.

I should have dropped this anime weeks ago. I dropped To Your Eternity for less but now I am looking at it more fondly.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Satoko, she generally was the least popular main cast member in Japan, which is probably why they had courage to do something so extreme with her that basically changes the entire focus of her character (and it seems to have worked popularity-wise). I'm looking forward to how the manga handles her transition though since so far it has been better in using elements of the original that aren't relevant to Gou/Sotsu's plot just for consistency.

Like with the original I still have these strong feelings of terror, and that's just gone here (and I reread the manga before Gou aired so I know it's not just because I've seen all this before). I dunno if it's also due to the brighter color palette but it just feels like Passione isn't trying to be scary at all here and the lackadaisical way they handled future episodes (especially the later Rika loops) made the gore veer more into comedic horror than anything scary.

The director outright talked about using over the top violence to diminish its impact, making it more like a joke. So, yes, it was on purpose, although the "purpose" itself seems kind of misguided. I guess it might be because the violence is often against minors? Rina's death was one of the few that seemed to be played completely straight. Although Teppei's death still was a joke...

https://febri.jp/topics/higurashianime_director_interview/
--On the other hand, the depiction of gore is expressed quite aggressively, isn't it?
Kawaguchi: It's more in the vein of 80's splatter movies. The more extreme the depiction is, the more it becomes a gag, like a B-grade horror movie. For the scene where Satoko performs the "watanagashi" on Rika in episode 16, "Nekodamashi part 3", I asked the staff to do their best to take inspiration from "Re-Animator"(1985) .

I'm starting to think that maybe R07's outline didn't have actual arc by arc answer arcs, just a quick overview of what Satoko did, and then the anime staff decided to expand that into answer arcs, but completely failed to do anything with that expansion. That would explain why the arcs oddly barely seem to fill in Gou's original elements, and don't even really give much character development to Satoko, aside from slowly introducing the witch elements. The actual answers often being simplistic or just outright skipped. If I'm right about this at least it'd meant the manga would have a lot of potential to do better answers, since it wouldn't be tied to the oddities of the anime.

Some quotes about the writing process of Gou/Sotsu

--What kind of talks did you have with the original author, Ryukishi07?

Kawaguchi: I had received a very detailed plot in the beginning, so I was prepared to receive detailed orders for the animation afterwards, but as soon as I met him, he said, "Please adapt it freely. Feel free to make it your own." Ryuukishi07 had enjoyed watching the anime as a viewer when it was animated before, and said, "I'm looking forward to seeing how it will be flavored this time". As for me, I was under a lot of pressure, but I'm very grateful that I was allowed to work with freedom.

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Higurashi Gou Interview (3/23/21)

On March 23, 2021, the website Febri posted an interview with Ryukishi07 regarding Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU. Interview is translated by rockmor. This is the first Higurashi anime series in about seven years, how did it all start? Ryukishi07: Once, when I was drinking tea with people in the...
R07: That's a big relief. I feel like I just bought 200 kilograms of tuna from the fish market and just handed it over to the animation staff. Director Kawaguchi did a wonderful job of deconstructing the story, and the scriptwriter, Naoki Hayashi, neatly sliced it into three pieces. I was really impressed by everyone's amazing understanding and how professional they are. I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to animation, and the plot wasn't designed with that in mind, so I think they handled it well.

He mentions that the plot originally wasn't designed with animation in mind, before going through the anime staff, but the whole structure of Sotsu seems designed to have been written to be able to reuse animation from Gou...

Last edited:

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see the original story document but going off those interviews it sounds more like R07 just didn't provide anything in the way of stage direction or episode by episode breakdowns. The anime staff would have been responsible for finding cliffhanger moments and filling 22 minutes between them which likely accounts for some of the pacing issues, but I highly doubt the story document left them to come up with the answers themselves. The manga may end up being a bit better but it also has the benefit of coming out months later so he can make small adjustments can be made to the story based on feedback from the anime. He can do things like add Shion to the birthday scene based on complaints about her absence but it doesn't result in her doing anything important.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see the original story document but going off those interviews it sounds more like R07 just didn't provide anything in the way of stage direction or episode by episode breakdowns. The anime staff would have been responsible for finding cliffhanger moments and filling 22 minutes between them which likely accounts for some of the pacing issues, but I highly doubt the story document left them to come up with the answers themselves.
What I'm speculating is that he wrote the answers to be given in a quick run through, rather than writing summaries for 3 Answer arcs, which is why they were so lacking in detail and vague often during important moments. Then the anime team while splitting the arcs and structuring the episodes thought they could turn them into actual standalone arcs by filling in the details and using reused footage. He specifically talked about not writing with animation in mind, so it seems unlikely to me he'd write arcs that exist in large part with reused footage in mind.

The manga may end up being a bit better but it also has the benefit of coming out months later so he can make small adjustments can be made to the story based on feedback from the anime. He can do things like add Shion to the birthday scene based on complaints about her absence but it doesn't result in her doing anything important.
Even from Onidamashi, which came out alongside the anime, the manga was handling the transition from the original Higurashi better than the anime though (Hanyuu explained why she left Rika after Matsuri, something that was directly mentioned in the anime only now in Sotsu but even then they didn't give her reasons for doing that in the anime).

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The thing that gets me is they showed Satoko's cheek getting scratched by the sword... but the wound immediately vanishes? Shouldn't it persist (or at least leave scarring) given its whole looper-killer thing?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
od6wpijtw8o71.png

What was that about wishing for a refresh on St. Lucia?

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely going to rate this a 10 if they spent another episode recapping Gou.

This said, preview don't come out until Sunday so I think that's fake?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed Gou and Sotsu 🤷‍♂️ It's nice getting new Higurashi content. I really liked the idea of a timeline war between Rika and Satoko where they battle each other across fragments. I hope that's where the story goes now with a third season (no way they top this off in three episodes). Would I have preferred Sotsu to immediately continue the gun scene? Yeah. But I haven't hated 'Gou from Satoko's perspective' tbh.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The thing that gets me is they showed Satoko's cheek getting scratched by the sword... but the wound immediately vanishes? Shouldn't it persist (or at least leave scarring) given its whole looper-killer thing?
I'm actually wondering what that even means. They've shown in Sotsu itself that Hanyuu was killed by that sword, and yet she clearly still remained around as a spirit with super natural powers.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I thought the characters would be the point rather than a mystery. In an interview at the beginning of the season R07 referenced the gun scene and posed the question of if Satoko would have the will to pull the trigger on Rika. Considering she had just performed a fucking ritual disemboweling on Rika one loop earlier my question was "why the hell wouldn't she be able to pull the trigger?" I fully expected that to be the question these arcs were "answering" but that was a bust. The best case scenario is another Satoko vs Satoko scene even though there was absolutely zero build up to it.

I'm reading the VN right now and just finished Meakashi. It's hard to believe it was written by the same guy. There's plenty of parallels between "demon" Shion and "witch" Satoko right down to the "where did I go wrong?" dialogue, but Shion's motivations are constantly reinforced and she has moments of self-reflection throughout her entire downward spiral. As a result he managed to keep her sympathetic no matter how awful she became. I had hoped Sotsu would tell a similar story but one where the protagonist is able to successfully fight against their monster side rather than rely solely on a world reset for redemption. I doubt next week's Satoko/Rika confrontation will hit anywhere close to as hard as Keiichi offering himself up to the demon while pleading with it to give Mion back.

For sure, and that's what saddens me a lot. Though it has been awhile.

Regarding Satoko, she generally was the least popular main cast member in Japan, which is probably why they had courage to do something so extreme with her that basically changes the entire focus of her character (and it seems to have worked popularity-wise). I'm looking forward to how the manga handles her transition though since so far it has been better in using elements of the original that aren't relevant to Gou/Sotsu's plot just for consistency.

The director outright talked about using over the top violence to diminish its impact, making it more like a joke. So, yes, it was on purpose, although the "purpose" itself seems kind of misguided. I guess it might be because the violence is often against minors? Rina's death was one of the few that seemed to be played completely straight. Although Teppei's death still was a joke...

I'm starting to think that maybe R07's outline didn't have actual arc by arc answer arcs, just a quick overview of what Satoko did, and then the anime staff decided to expand that into answer arcs, but completely failed to do anything with that expansion. That would explain why the arcs oddly barely seem to fill in Gou's original elements, and don't even really give much character development to Satoko, aside from slowly introducing the witch elements. The actual answers often being simplistic or just outright skipped. If I'm right about this at least it'd meant the manga would have a lot of potential to do better answers, since it wouldn't be tied to the oddities of the anime.

Some quotes about the writing process of Gou/Sotsu

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Higurashi Gou Interview (3/23/21)

On March 23, 2021, the website Febri posted an interview with Ryukishi07 regarding Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU. Interview is translated by rockmor. This is the first Higurashi anime series in about seven years, how did it all start? Ryukishi07: Once, when I was drinking tea with people in the...

He mentions that the plot originally wasn't designed with animation in mind, before going through the anime staff, but the whole structure of Sotsu seems designed to have been written to be able to reuse animation from Gou...

Well it's good to know it was intentional even if I disagree with the move. And the rest of that is… urgh. I mean Ryu isn't an animator so leaving it to them to adapt it isn't a bad thing on paper but how it ended up… yeah. Hopefully the manga ends up better.