• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe even more if they chose to answer the Nekodamashi arc too. Surely we must know how Satoko injected every cast member!
I really hope Ryu won't go for Satoko's redemption. She doesn't deserve it, no matter the reason. I am really curious how this series will sit with OG Higurashi fans when all is said and done.
I am a bit on the outside investment wise since I much prefer Umineko.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope Ryu won't go for Satoko's redemption. She doesn't deserve it, no matter the reason. I am really curious how this series will sit with OG Higurashi fans when all is said and done.
I think that's how a witch ending will be used in a way. She will get a "redemption" of sorts, but outside of a human context, since just letting Satoko close her eyes and pretend she didn't do any of this stuff while getting to live a normal life in a final fragment would be a completely bizarre ending.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
When reading Higurashi earlier this year, I was sort of struck how rigidly the writer stuck to his formula. He found a method that seemed to work well, of cozy slice-of-life with some intrigue, followed by a gory climax. This pattern was iterated in each episode aside from the final, Home-Alone style one. I felt the writer was not confident in his skills yet, so he stuck religiously to a formula he got good feedback from. This was in contrast to Umineko, which reinvented itself basically every episode and was due to that a joy to read, though with some lower lows, I'd say.

The new anime(s) seem to fall into the former category, pursuing the surface-level Higurashi patterns beyond wearing out instead of what would develop the story. Doubt it has to do with a lack of confidence. Might be that the anime producers wanted a generous helping of what made Higurashi well known, and this was the best way of delivering upon this shock factor. All in all, wish I'd read the VN a bit later so I could binge Sotsu instead of this weekly drip feeding.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought most of the new Rena scenes this episode still had great direction, like the first two episodes, but the Gou cuts were rather sudden and jumpy this time (not really surprising considering how they had to cover more than 2 episodes) and that Rika scene at the end was pretty bad.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the general story of Gou/Sotsu, I just want to get into some newer content. I don't need a complete rerun of every single arc.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see what's next. I felt ep 1 and 2 back to back was a bit draggy but this was a nice burst and a solid episode to me

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the overall direction of the episode, and it's a noticeable improvement over Gou for all the new scenes. There was just a little too much stock footage from the question arc for my liking. I do hope that it's mostly due to this question arc mostly being a lot more straight forward than the rest, and the other ones will differ in their scenarios more.

We really didn't need to see a straight flashback to Rika's dance, and the liar scene with no changes to them.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not directly related to Sotsu, but there was a Higurashi Mei leak featuring promo images for a future banner with high school Rika and Satoko. They're the first Gou/Sotsu related characters geting added to Mei. It probably still should take a while for it to be officially unveiled. They're still about to start an already announced banner featuring Mion and Shion that has an event tied to it.
E58lHhgWUAEJph2

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
This one really felt like a waste, as nothing revealed felt like it needed spelling out in the first place, perhaps with the exception of Satoko needing to die 2nd to "chase" Rika (unless I just forgot that mechanic).

It's going to be 6-7 weeks before we go back to main plot, isn't it.
20c75ea3256ce885b2527fe7614f6876d6355669.png

This is gonna be just one big glorified Lambda/Bern origin story.

This is my exact fear. Especially your spoiler, which I came to the conclusion after last episode, and this week only sets it more in stone in my mind.

WowIt'sHeckingNothing.gif. Not that I'm surprised by that at this point.

Things of "note" anyway:
- The yellow moths were a very rude troll. For a second, I almost believed this show was awful enough to go there.
- Surely even those who praised the first two episodes' directing / editing saw how lumpy this week's was. The flashback being edited in exactly the same way as all the montage-y time skips forward was the icing on the store-brand frozen cake.
- The hamhanded symbolism of the snap returns, hopefully putting to rest any arguments about the card game and password scenes last season.

Were any of y'all around anime communities back when Deen Higurashi was airing / popular? I've been thinking back on how that show was seen at the time, and wondering if maybe the people working on Gou/Sotsu were part of that discourse. It's been something like 15 years, after all; people who were in the target demo back then are working-age now.
Back then, if you were a casual anime fan who had only heard of Higurashi rather than watching or reading it, you probably "knew" a couple of things about it anyway through cultural osmosis. Murder lolis; everybody's yandere; gallons of blood; time loop mystery; USO DA. ("Knew" is in quotation marks here for hopefully obvious reasons.) Gou/Sotsu really feels like it was made with heavy influence from the sorts of second-hand impressions I so often saw online in the late 2000s.

Can you help me out with what you thought the moth thing was? I'm trying to figure out if you meant it as a refence to something specific that I should know of or not.

Also, I certainly knew about the Higurashi discourse and had formed an idea in my head of the show before I ever saw it, and it's pretty easy to understand how you could get a skewed impression of it through all of the second hand reactions and impressions. If the murder lolis are all people are talking about, you'd kind of lose the elements that made it special in all of the broad brushstrokes.

And that's how I'd best describe Gou and especially Sotsu so far: Higurashi with less nuance/very paint-by-numbers. It feels a bit like there's a quota of certain elements that need to be checked off, or that we're getting some of the ingredients needed to make Higuarshi without the recipe needed to cook it up into something special. I especially feel like Gou and Sotsu aren't trusting the intelligence of its audience to nearly the same degree as the original, or at the very least it's far more disrespectful of our time.

I'm not going to drop it, but the outlook isn't hopeful so far.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The opening song for Sotsu is absolutely fire, the ending theme is.. eh

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
This one really felt like a waste, as nothing revealed felt like it needed spelling out in the first place, perhaps with the exception of Satoko needing to die 2nd to "chase" Rika (unless I just forgot that mechanic).
That mechanic was indeed part of the infodump last season, so yep. Basically no new information.
Can you help me out with what you thought the moth thing was? I'm trying to figure out if you meant it as a refence to something specific that I should know of or not.
Have you read Umineko? Golden butterflies are a recurring motif for the magic in Umineko. Lore-wise, they're a symbol of the Golden Witch Beatrice, and for the audience they signify that what's being shown is unreliable narration. It'd make absolutely zero sense for them to have anything to do with Higurashi, ever... But even still, for just a second, I legitimately thought the show might go there anyway, sense be damned. Just shows how little respect I have for Gou/Sotsu's writing at this point, I guess.
Also, I certainly knew about the Higurashi discourse and had formed an idea in my head of the show before I ever saw it, and it's pretty easy to understand how you could get a skewed impression of it through all of the second hand reactions and impressions. If the murder lolis are all people are talking about, you'd kind of lose the elements that made it special in all of the broad brushstrokes.

And that's how I'd best describe Gou and especially Sotsu so far: Higurashi with less nuance/very paint-by-numbers. It feels a bit like there's a quota of certain elements that need to be checked off, or that we're getting some of the ingredients needed to make Higuarshi without the recipe needed to cook it up into something special. I especially feel like Gou and Sotsu aren't trusting the intelligence of its audience to nearly the same degree as the original, or at the very least it's far more disrespectful of our time.

I'm not going to drop it, but the outlook isn't hopeful so far.
Wholeheartedly agree with all this. The more great fanfiction I read over the years, the less I like to describe sucky canon stuff as feeling "fanfiction-y", but Gou/Sotsu really does hit all the same notes as a specific subset of bad fanfiction -- where all the elements are there, but they don't carry the meaning they used to; they're only there because they were there before, so they have to be there again. Clumsy pastiche that imitates without knowing why the things they're imitating were effective in the first place.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
That mechanic was indeed part of the infodump last season, so yep. Basically no new information.

Have you read Umineko? Golden butterflies are a recurring motif for the magic in Umineko. Lore-wise, they're a symbol of the Golden Witch Beatrice, and for the audience they signify that what's being shown is unreliable narration. It'd make absolutely zero sense for them to have anything to do with Higurashi, ever... But even still, for just a second, I legitimately thought the show might go there anyway, sense be damned. Just shows how little respect I have for Gou/Sotsu's writing at this point, I guess.

Ahh, gotcha. I never read it but I did watch the maligned anime adaptation (which I have mostly forgotten), so I didn't make that connection. I can absolutely see how you'd be on guard for something like that given all signs point towards Gou and Sotsu acting as origin stories for Bern and Lambda, but I hope the connections avoid getting that explicit as I much prefer Higuarshi as it's own thing rather than an origin story which tosses the majority of the cast in the trash.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
So there I am, just minding my own business, having an ordinary day, watching someone play a video game on the internet. And what am I met with?

(from this stream)

There's just no escape from Gou!

Oct 25, 2017
So is the original anime's ending fucked or has this started to come around yet.

I bailed after 2 episodes because the original ending and how it came together was part of what made Higurashi my favorite anime of all time.

I loved Umineko at first but it just got more and more stupid to the point I lost all interest in it.
Originally I liked the idea of a connection but I disliked Umineko so much I wanted nothing to relate to that mess.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
So is the original anime's ending fucked or has this started to come around yet.

I bailed after 2 episodes because the original ending and how it came together was part of what made Higurashi my favorite anime of all time.

I loved Umineko at first but it just got more and more stupid to the point I lost all interest in it.
Originally I liked the idea of a connection but I disliked Umineko so much I wanted nothing to relate to that mess.
I guess you watched the Umineko anime, because that thing was a horrible, horrible mistake, the VN is a complete masterpiece, you should give it a go. It really goes places and catches you off guard when you least expect it, all the way to the end. But yeah, the origin of Bern and Lambda is related to Higurashi, that was almost plainly stated in the VNs.

Lambda trapped Bern in her game, but Bern broke through and became the Witch of Miracles, just like Lambda had become the Witch of Certainty... oh, and Eua is there too, but it's even more powerful in Umineko and goes by her true name, this in the later half though. I wonder how Bern will become someone who dislikes the happiness of others though, and a complete sadist, probably due to all this abuse and Satoko's betrayal, but the love and hate that she and Lambda share for each other is something we are seeing being born now, such a deep love stained with madness, both Bern and Lambda wanting to hurt each other to show how much they loved each other, that's something we can see in the first half of Umineko's novel.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I've asked this in the past but now that more time has passed, are we closer into getting
a new Umineko anime?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've asked this in the past but now that more time has passed, are we closer into getting
a new Umineko anime?

I really wouldn't be sure about that. Nothing indicates that something like that is planned. Only thing that is currently rumored that they hide another arc and that the series will have 24 episodes and not 15.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you watched the Umineko anime, because that thing was a horrible, horrible mistake, the VN is a complete masterpiece, you should give it a go. It really goes places and catches you off guard when you least expect it, all the way to the end. But yeah, the origin of Bern and Lambda is related to Higurashi, that was almost plainly stated in the VNs.

Lambda trapped Bern in her game, but Bern broke through and became the Witch of Miracles, just like Lambda had become the Witch of Certainty... oh, and Eua is there too, but it's even more powerful in Umineko and goes by her true name, this in the later half though. I wonder how Bern will become someone who dislikes the happiness of others though, and a complete sadist, probably due to all this abuse and Satoko's betrayal, but the love and hate that she and Lambda share for each other is something we are seeing being born now, such a deep love stained with madness, both Bern and Lambda wanting to hurt each other to show how much they loved each other, that's something we can see in the first half of Umineko's novel.
Nah, I enjoyed the anime....
Well what there was I later read the manga and had the VN.
The only thing I remember exactly was that I felt it went off a cliff immediately after Featherine was introduced.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But yeah, the origin of Bern and Lambda is related to Higurashi, that was almost plainly stated in the VNs.

I wonder how Bern will become someone who dislikes the happiness of others though, and a complete sadist, probably due to all this abuse and Satoko's betrayal, but the love and hate that she and Lambda share for each other is something we are seeing being born now, such a deep love stained with madness, both Bern and Lambda wanting to hurt each other to show how much they loved each other, that's something we can see in the first half of Umineko's novel.
Regarding Bern,

I think we've already seen the seeds of Bern's aspects planted into Gou Rika, it's just the show won't actually show her falling to that level since a lot of Bern's personality is based on the whole "escape from boredom which is death for witches" which obviously won't be an issue here yet (and it'd just destroy any satisfying ending for Gou/Sotsu itself). When Rika talks with Hanyuu in episode 14 she believes that another miraculous victory would be pointless since even after the miracle she just got thrown back into the loops again. This basically seems like an early seed for Bern's "witch of miracles who doesn't believe in miracles".

When Rika finally gets a peaceful world again she couldn't trust it at all, which goes along with the one Frederica Bernkastel poem from Umineko about how she had proof of love, and couldn't find proof of betrayal, but there could still be evidence of betrayal she hadn't found - now this was specifically a betrayal in a relationship, and ends up as the basis for Erika's character, but I think it mirrors her general worldview - she doesn't trust something out of her control.

Last edited:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
After the last one? Hopefully not after the torture we had to endure last time, we did get an additional episode of the VN, but I believe it's not translated yet because the team is focused in translating Ciconia.
Well to be fair it was not entirely their fault as the anime covers only the question arc of the VN and at the time there was no answer arc and the creator didn't give them any clues to avoid possible spoiler leaks.
So imagine trying to create an anime constrained to 26 episodes that has to cover a tremendously big VN without also having
the knowledge on where it should focus the most as it has no clue what will happen in the future....
The anime is bad there is no arguing that, but the reasons behind it are more complicated that some people might think.

Personally I would love for them to try again to create an anime adaptation mostly because there are many people who just can't read Umineko because of its length, so even if it's inferior it would still be a good way to experience it if you can't handle reading the VN.
I think the manga proved that something like that is achievable so it is possible for the anime imo.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
So there is one thing I am wondering about, what happened to Hanyuu's incarnation in flesh? She was gone out of nowhere, did I miss some lore somewhere? And why is Hanyuu just going away after that? Is it that her power just became too weak after looping so many times (which we already know was happening)?

Also, regarding Eua and Hanyuu
I read that there is speculation that Hanyuu IS Eua/Featherine (AuAurora lol, thanks Bern), but Hanyuu is just a version of Featherine with her memory devise damaged, so somehow it got fixed and Featherine was reborn with her old appearance and personality, plus power. Lorewise it checks, as it was said that Featherine's memory devise was damaged in the past and that changed her appearance and personality. That also implies that a way to beat her is managing to damage that, but to do that to such a powerful god/witch would be very hard.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
So there is one thing I am wondering about, what happened to Hanyuu's incarnation in flesh? She was gone out of nowhere, did I miss some lore somewhere? And why is Hanyuu just going away after that? Is it that her power just became too weak after looping so many times (which we already know was happening)?

Also, regarding Eua and Hanyuu
I read that there is speculation that Hanyuu IS Eua/Featherine (AuAurora lol, thanks Bern), but Hanyuu is just a version of Featherine with her memory devise damaged, so somehow it got fixed and Featherine was reborn with her old appearance and personality, plus power. Lorewise it checks, as it was said that Featherine's memory devise was damaged in the past and that changed her appearance and personality. That also implies that a way to beat her is managing to damage that, but to do that to such a powerful god/witch would be very hard.
You didn't miss it, Hanyuu losing her physical form is never addressed in the mainline canon. In the ending of Matsuribayashi, we're shown scenes from a few months after Endless June, and in those scenes Hanyuu still exists in her physical body and is looking forward to living a happy life. However, in Saikoroshi, which seems to take place late in the summer of 1983 (ie, after Endless June but earlier than the Matsuribayashi epilogue), she's back to being a ghost without any explanation. Then finally in Gou, she's disappeared completely, no longer existing in Hinamizawa at all even in new fragments (which ought to have their own Hanyuu, even if it isn't the one that fragment-hopped through Endless June). Gou has a couple of lines that vaguely imply she "ran out of power" or whatever at some point between 1983 and 1987, but that would still be a retcon of Matsuribayashi -- running out of power already came up there, and the result was only that they couldn't loop anymore, not that Hanyuu would disappear.
The inconsistency and lack of explanation is kinda bugs me too, but honestly at this point I kind of just ignore the wibbly-wobbly-ness of everything after Kai anyway. There's the original novels, and then there's everything else, be it a silly spinoff like Kira or a supposed sequel like Gou.

Re: AuAurora, while it's a common fandom thing to say A = B, you really have to squint and ignore a lot of things to make that work for When They Cry. Higurashi and Umineko just aren't compatible that way. Wherever Umineko references Higurashi, it's always altered just enough to be recognizably different. Look at how the St. Lucia uniform changes colour just because, or how Frederica Bernkastel is tall and flat and lived 100 years while Seacats Bernkastel is short and busty and lived 1000 years. They're references, maybe parallel versions, but never the literal same thing. I'll be disappointed yet again if (...when) they really commit to making this a straight-up crossover.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Rika and Hanyuu straight up appear in Umineko's manga, they were always connected. But it was basically just "Rika Witch persona flies off to other universes as and she meets this girl who looks like Takano and was responsible for the whole mess" which was a cool way to connect all the stories. Destroying Higurashi's story so you can have Rika straight up turn into Bern and retcon 34 into the little girl who was Rika's best friend and one of the key to break free from the endless June is not.

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Rika and Hanyuu straight up appear in Umineko's manga, they were always connected. But it was basically just "Rika Witch persona flies off to other universes as and she meets this girl who looking like Takano and was responsible for the whole mess" which was a cool way to connect all the stories. Destroying Higurashi's story so you can have Rika straight up turn into Bern and retcon 34 into the little girl who was Rika's best friend and one of the key to break free from the endless June is not.
"Always" is a strong word, given that the manga isn't the original version. Plus, it's rather overstating it to say that any Higurashi characters "straight up appear" in it. The characters themselves absolutely don't; vague, silhouette-y images of them appear in the background as visual aids while the actual Umineko characters talk about Umineko things. (Umineko things that reference Higurashi, but still, ultimately Umineko things).

Anyway, my nitpicking about wording aside, the key point is that as you say, Bern and Lambda weren't literally Rika and Takano (or Satoko), just alternate / related / whatever versions of the same ideas. The way Seacats mythology is built let them be connected to Higurashi in a non-destructive way, and that was cool... But yeah, it's a bummer every time they try to wrench the Higurashi mythology into a pretzel to essentially take two different jigsaw puzzles and jam them together into one ugly whole. The slight inconsistencies were part of the point, imo.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if we're taking things literally then Higurashi is a fictional novel in-universe in Umineko and Lambda doesn't even know how the story ends or who the culprit is.

I agree with PsionBolt here, there's not much point matching characters 100% between the two. Okonogi also appears but he presumably isn't literally the same man who became a successful businessman after failing at his job as a mercenery commander, and that doesn't change because Amakusa got a cameo in Gou.

(I personally don't believe Gou/Sotsu will end up being just an origin story though. My guess is there will be a nod at the ending to Bern/Lambda and that's it.)

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we'll get the actual names or complete designs used here - The Bernkastel name originated in Higurashi itself, and yet it hasn't been mentioned at all in Gou. And then we have Eua, who is obviously Featherine, wearing the medal that's supposed to be proof of her identity and yet she wasn't called Featherine. However, I do think we'll end up with a pair of obvious Bern and Lambda lookalikes in the Sea of Fragments by the end.

There's a suspicious datamined voice for a Rika variation in Mei (the mobile game) who sounds oddly Bernkastel-like, although not quite there. She sounds more lively than the Umineko one, but only uses Rika's adult voice, talks about traveling between worlds, escaping from boredom, treats her enemies as insects and outright mentions the "power of a witch".
https://streamable.com/djd3ds

"Always" is a strong word, given that the manga isn't the original version. Plus, it's rather overstating it to say that any Higurashi characters "straight up appear" in it. The characters themselves absolutely don't; vague, silhouette-y images of them appear in the background as visual aids while the actual Umineko characters talk about Umineko things. (Umineko things that reference Higurashi, but still, ultimately Umineko things).
Rika and Hanyuu actually straight up have a small cameo in the Umineko manga(Episode 3 specifically), with no shadowing or anything. It's a comedic scene, but it's a visual adaptation of a comment from the Umineko VN, not an extra page or something.
BdWb5yf.jpg

I mean if we're taking things literally then Higurashi is a fictional novel in-universe in Umineko and Lambda doesn't even know how the story ends or who the culprit is.
Battler references it as a novel, Lambda references "Higurashi" as a videogame she hadn't finished yet, so those references aren't even internally consistent within Umineko itself. I see those closer to when Keiichi suddenly references the PS3 and X-Box 360 even though Higurashi takes place in the 80s. Within Higurashi itself, Higurashi is the name of a book written by Akasaka and Ooishi after the GHD.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

lol I never got why people take that part seriously, it's a joke based on the fact she is designed/named after Higurashi's culprit and Lambda looooves to play dumb.

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Memoirs of the ΛΔ

Memoirs of the ΛΔ is an extra arc from Umineko When They Cry that was first published as a booklet on September 28, 2008. It was republished in Umineko no Naku Koro ni: The First and the Last Gift with a longer title, becoming Lady Lambdadelta's Memoirs: Memoirs of the ΛΔ (ラムダデルタ卿による回想記 Memoirs...

There are a lot of 4th wall breaking moments in both Higurashi and Umineko, like how there are a bunch of type moon references but you also have Ciel from Tsukihime teaching at Hinamizawa School.

Which is why I still find Lambda=Satoko such a dumb retcon, she's always shown to be a witch older than Bern and their mutual attraction comes from the fact they are both survivors of a hell, but this thing reduces her to a yandere obsession for Rika. But it will totally happen now. Thought I have no idea how R07 is going to work Satoko's current personality into Lambda.

Anyway, my nitpicking about wording aside, the key point is that as you say, Bern and Lambda weren't literally Rika and Takano (or Satoko), just alternate / related / whatever versions of the same ideas. The way Seacats mythology is built let them be connected to Higurashi in a non-destructive way, and that was cool... But yeah, it's a bummer every time they try to wrench the Higurashi mythology into a pretzel to essentially take two different jigsaw puzzles and jam them together into one ugly whole. The slight inconsistencies were part of the point, imo.

I mean
gjbTt5t.jpg

It pretty much casually spoils you one of the biggest twists in Higurashi actually lol

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The logic error talk was the very scene I was thinking of. I guess it's not as shadowy as I remember, but still, I don't think I described it too poorly -- this is Uminekos talking Umineko to each other, with Higurashi imagery just serving as a visual aid. It's not like Rika herself is actually in the scene.

Rika and Hanyuu actually straight up have a small cameo in the Umineko manga(Episode 3 specifically), with no shadowing or anything. It's a comedic scene, but it's a visual adaptation of a comment from the Umineko VN, not an extra page or something.
BdWb5yf.jpg
I admit I forgot completely about this page! It's been a while. This one's definitely more on-the-nose (especially Hanyuu), but eh. It's a gag. As you say, references in gags barely count; start taking gag scenes seriously, and K1's fourth wall breaks are the least of your problems. Taking gag scenes seriously is what leads to Gou episode 20, and nobody wants that!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Which is why I still find Lambda=Satoko such a dumb retcon, she's always shown to be a witch older than Bern and their mutual attraction comes from the fact they are both survivors of a hell, but this thing reduces her to a yandere obsession for Rika.
Personally, I think it helps explaining why Bern has this complex relationship with Lambda rather than outright hating her.

Lambda is introduced as the one who tortured Bern in a labyrinth of despair until Bern awakened as a witch. It all being this very personal experience between Rika and Satoko just gives it much more meaning than an ancient witch randomly torturing a girl that had nothing to do with her - and then the girl
bonds with the witch afterwards.

XZm5vUB.jpg

It also explains why Bern hardly seems to blame Lambda for that specifically and seems to focus her grudge on Featherine. Truthfully, I think it's impossible R07 planned this from the start, considering how any direct Satoko hints in Umineko only appear by episodes 7/8, and Memoirs of Lambda, which was written around episode 3/4 to show she definitely wasn't Takano, something R07 mentioned in interviews at the time too, just makes any connection to Satoko odder.

However, many of the early lines about Bern's backstory just work much better with the set up seen in Gou, like Bern's reference to how someone troublesome taking a liking to Battler was similar to what happened to her when she was human, or how she could understand Lambda in their game, but can't understand Beatrice, or the times where Lambda references some kind of betrayal from Bernkastel in the past.

Maybe the basic idea always was something vaguely Gou-like but Lambda was initially supposed to be an OC rather than Satoko.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
lol I never got why people take that part seriously, it's a joke based on the fact she is designed/named after Higurashi's culprit and Lambda looooves to play dumb.

I get that but my point is as I read the novel literally none of the Higurashi references are meant to be taken seriously/literally. Ryukishi made some references here and there for funsies, made some cameos that make 0 sense if taken literally and applied the Umineko lens to Higurashi to provide a backstory for Bern. I don't think he ever intended there to be a 1-1 connection.

(That may have changed since then but honestly, even Gou which obviously leans super hard on the references still doesn't match Bern's backstory in Umineko at all. In fact, the more Gou's plot progressed the less it matched.)

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think it helps explaining why Bern has this complex relationship with Lambda rather than outright hating her.

Lambda is introduced as the one who tortured Bern in a labyrinth of despair until Bern awakened as a witch. It all being this very personal experience between Rika and Satoko just gives it much more meaning than an ancient witch randomly torturing a girl that had nothing to do with her - and then the girl
bonds with the witch afterwards.

XZm5vUB.jpg

It also explains why Bern hardly seems to blame Lambda for that specifically and seems to focus her grudge on Featherine. Truthfully, I think it's impossible R07 planned this from the start, considering how any direct Satoko hints in Umineko only appear by episodes 7/8, and Memoirs of Lambda, which was written around episode 3/4 to show she definitely wasn't Takano, something R07 mentioned in interviews at the time too, just makes any connection to Satoko odder.

However, many of the early lines about Bern's backstory just work much better with the set up seen in Gou, like Bern's reference to how someone troublesome taking a liking to Battler was similar to what happened to her when she was human, or how she could understand Lambda in their game, but can't understand Beatrice, or the times where Lambda references some kind of betrayal from Bernkastel in the past.

Maybe the basic idea always was something vaguely Gou-like but Lambda was initially supposed to be an OC rather than Satoko.

I mean what Bern references there is just the plot of Higurashi, for context Umineko came out 6 months after Rei, he definitely knew what he was doing there, with Witches and Meta-Rika. Implying he's not referencing the plot of Higurashi (original) there is straight up a retcon, especially in the context of characters who initially were just mean to be fun "secret characters". Like, a girl who became a witch trapped into an hell and tortured by 34=Takano=Lambda until she created a miracle is just Higurashi, any player who played and read Rei and remembers the line about Meta-Rika at the end will pick up on that. He later even reinforces the connection with Lambda meeting Takano (Whom in the Switch version is even voiced by Tanako's va now lol) and mentions Takano gave her a new witch.

I also find the idea that Satoko is Lambda just reductive, Bern never mentions loving Lambda because their pieces were connected, but because they both survived some horrific scenario. Reading Umineko did anyone wonder until Gou "Why does Bern love Lambda?" Personally I didn't, I found their relationship worked in the novel itself with the way the story presented it.

But also what hell did Satoko survive? She looped once, went to a school she didn't like twice and then got handled cheat mode to trap Rika. Sure, Satoko had a messed up past, but witches' hells are implied to be horrific logic errors. The scene in episode 6 makes it look like Lambda's hell was so horrific she wonders if she went insane and she still is stuck in there. But she got out and became a witch. Dunno how that even fits Satoko. And really both witches just come from the same random Japanese village? I sleep.

I still don't find their personalities even similar, I can see Rika turning cynical (Especially talking in consideration her line in Kai about wanting to play with the fragments) after going on a power trip and losing her friends, but I really don't see how Satoko can turn into Lambda? Lambda is hardworking, takes her work seriously, will fuck you but also help you if you show you are willing to work hard. I can't see the Crazy Satoko who abandoned Satoshi and only cares about Rika into the girl who charged at Featherine because she wanted to see a happy ending for Ange and Battler. Not to say Lambda isn't a monster, but I'd say current Satoko is a worse person than Bernkastel to me and completely removed from fun times with 34.

For the record, I 100% accept Satoko is going to turn into Lambda now, I just think he's trying to fit a square into a round hole.

Edit: Of course there is also Ciconia stuff that may imply there there is more to Satoko than just being an Higurashi character, but uh. Hard to make anything out of it.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean what Bern references there is just the plot of Higurashi,
for context Umineko came out 6 months after Rei, he definitely knew what he was doing there, with Witches and Meta-Rika. Implying he's not referencing the plot of Higurashi (original) there is straight up a retcon, especially in the context of characters who initially were just mean to be fun "secret characters". Like a girl who became a witch trapped into an hell and tortured by 34=Takano=Lambda until she created a miracle is just Higurashi, any player who played and read Rei and remembers the line about Meta-Rika at the end will pick up on that. He later even reinforces the connection with Lambda meeting Takano (Whom in the Switch version is even voiced Tanako's va now lol) and mentions Takano gave her a new witch.

It feels like you're mixing up different parts of my posts there. One part was about the idea of Lambda being this completely external force that tortured Rika and then this broken Bern falls for her. Yeah, that's how the relationship was previously seen, and it's completely messed up. Even Umineko itself avoided referencing that later on with all the blame going to Featherine in later chapters when Bern and Lambda are shown hanging out more.

Still, I wasn't saying that description wasn't a Higurashi reference, but there are many other minor references to Bern/Lambda's past that just had no context before. Like I said, Bern mentioning Lambda was a girl she could understand while she can't understand Beatrice just makes no sense in the context of Higurashi references.

I also find the idea that Satoko is Lambda just reductive, Bern never mentions loving Lambda because their pieces were connected, but because they are both survivors of a hell. Reading Umineko did anyone wonder until Gou "Why does Bern love Lambda?" Personally I don't, I found their relationship worked in the novel itself with the way the story was presented.

But also what hell did Satoko survive? She looped once, went to a school she didn't like twice and then got handled cheat mode to trap Rika. The scene in episode 6 makes it look like Lambda's hell was so horrific she wonders if she went insane and she still stuck in there. But she got out and became a witch. Dunno how that even fit Satoko.

Satoko stayed without human contact for 100 years, which would line up with Lambda wondering if the people around her are even real. Satoko also went in there feeling betrayed by Rika, but came out screaming about how she loves her. Lambda only really shows any consequences from her hell in one scene, and while explaining Bern's later she even says she came out of it better than Bern did.

And really both witches just come from the same random Japanese village? I sleep.
Higurashi Mei had the basic plot by R07 (although not the actual script), and right in the beginning it introduces the idea that people from Hinamizawa (blood of the horns) have stronger auras and natural ability to manipulate fragments than normal humans (this is mainly used to make Akasaka's daughter weaker than the other two main characters, in spite of being older, more experienced and a trained fighter). So, yeah, Hinamizawa being a witch factory of sorts seems to be almost official.

I still don't find their personalities even similar, I can see Rika turning cynical (Especially talking in consideration her line in Kai about wanting to play with fragments) after going on a power trip and losing her friends, but I really don't see how Satoko can turn into Lambda? Lambda is hardworking, takes her work seriously, will fuck you but also help you if you show you are willing to work hard. I can't see the Crazy Satoko who abandoned Satoshi into the girl who charged at Featherine because she wanted to see a happy ending for Ange and Battler. Not to say Lambda isn't a monster, but I'd say current Satoko is a worse person than Bernkastel to me.
I think making Satoko go this low at this point is exactly because then she can "improve" for the ending and that still would end up as overall positive, rather than a downer ending.

Regarding Lambda being hard working though, I actually disagree there. She is hard-working... for what interests her, which is similar to Satoko. Lambda's initial profile mentions she might actually just favor people who entertain her. See also the Court of Illusions from the end episode 5. Bernkastel writes a report with more than a thousand pages. The official court documents cross 200 pages... then near the end of the report quotes it's revealed Lambda's report is counted in lines. She's on her seventh line while Bern had written more than a thousand pages. Lambda being stupid is just a facade, but she clearly isn't someone who does everything diligently. Golden Fantasia (which had a R07 script) also had a joke about her wanting an answer given to her and then she'd just pretend she worked hard for it.

Even Memoirs of Lambda shows her being disappointed "the girl who wished to become god" didn't actually wish to become god, and just wanted to believe in her own efforts. Lambda liked her ambition, but said she'd had given her a perfect grade if she had just outright wished to become a god that instant rather than just being told her efforts would bear fruit.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like you're mixing up different parts of my posts there. One part was about the idea of Lambda being this completely external force that tortured Rika and then this broken Bern falls for her. Yeah, that's how the relationship was previously seen, and it's completely messed up. Even Umineko itself avoided referencing that later on with all the blame going to Featherine in later chapters when Bern and Lambda are shown hanging out more.

I... don't see any problem with it? It's not like she was even torturing Rika's specifically, especially in the context of meta characters were the pieces are presented as just stories for them. Yeah, it's messed up but they are two horrible messed up people. I'd argue the relationship is more messed up now that Lambdatoko watched 100 years of her friend suffering and decides to break her mind completely because she doesn't want her to go a different school. Now she has a personal connection to Rika and it's entirely disturbing. She doesn't love Rika, she loves a version of her that she can control and is completely braindead. Lambda may want to imprison Bern, but she also loves her with all the thorns and even willing to fly in different directions so they don't bore themselves too much.

Actually about Featherine, how does this even fit? Higurashi as a game between Featherine (Hanyuu) and Lambda (her piece Takano) works, but Sotsu is all Satoko torturing Rika with Featherine as her sponsor.

Still, I wasn't saying that description wasn't a Higurashi reference, but there are many other minor references to Bern/Lambda's past that just had no context before. Like I said, Bern mentioning Lambda was a girl she could understand while she can't understand Beatrice just makes no sense in the context of Higurashi references.

She can't understand Beatrice because Beatrice doesn't play to win and constantly makes nonsensical moves (From her pov), she can understand Lambda because she's a meta witch like her and she plays to win. It's just a hint of Beato's true motive more than anything, come on... Also of course it make sense, it's exactly what they are referencing there! They are vague Higurashi references and nods to Higurashi's story! That's like Ep 1 or 2, R07 still hadn't thought about Bern and Lambda plot at that point, let alone Gou.

Satoko stayed without human contact for 100 years, which would line up with Lambda wondering if the people around her are even real. Satoko also went in there feeling betrayed by Rika, but came out screaming about how she loves her. Lambda only really shows any consequences from her hell in one scene, and while explaining Bern's later she even says she came out of it better than Bern did.

Yeah I don't see it sorry. Satoko watches 100 years of her friends' sufferings and at the end she shrugs it off and decides to torture Rika even more. We saw how logic errors work with both Battler and Rika, they are horrific nonsensical scenarios you just can't get out, Satoko watching the plot of Higurashi is nothing like that. If he R07 wanted me to think it was a torture on the same level as Rika (Also why would Lambda wonders "how long she stayed in there? "She knows it has been 100 years, she even went there voluntarily...) Did she became the witch of certantly because she watched 100 years of Rika's suffering? That's a weak ass backstory for a witch.

Higurashi Mei had the basic plot by R07 (although not the actual script), and right in the beginning it introduces the idea that people from Hinamizawa (blood of the horns) have stronger auras and natural ability to manipulate fragments than normal humans (this is mainly used to make Akasaka's daughter weaker than the other two main characters, in spite of being older, more experienced and a trained fighter). So, yeah, Hinamizawa being a witch factory of sorts seems to be almost official.

Mei also has Rika and Hanyuu fusing into one person and becoming little monsters and Higurashi has 100 spin offs, one where the zombie apocalypse happens, aliens come to Hinamizawa and Hanyuu has a fight with another goddess from the next town over because she ate her rice offering. I'm saying Higurashi spin offs can say what they want but if it's not the main story it's irrelevant. And also the point is that it's lame and narrows down the setting, not that R07 can't explain it. He can have all the club members become meta-witches if he wanted it, it doesn't change it makes the story feel extremely narrow in scope and it feels like he's just doing it for the fanservice to me.

I think making Satoko go this low at this point is exactly because then she can "improve" for the ending and that still would end up as overall positive, rather than a downer ending.

Regarding Lambda being hard working though, I actually disagree there. She is hard-working... for what interests her, which is similar to Satoko. Lambda's initial profile mentions she might actually just favor people who entertain her. See also the Court of Illusions from the end episode 5. Bernkastel writes a report with more than a thousand pages. The official court documents cross 200 pages... then near the end of the report quotes it's revealed Lambda's report is counted in lines. She's on her seventh line while Bern had written more than a thousand pages. Lambda being stupid is just a facade, but she clearly isn't someone who does everything diligently. Golden Fantasia (which had a R07 script) also had a joke about her wanting an answer given to her and then she'd just pretend she worked hard for it.

Even Memoirs of Lambda shows her being disappointed "the girl who wished to become god" didn't actually wish to become god, and just wanted to believe in her own efforts. Lambda liked her ambition, but said she'd had given her a perfect grade if she had just outright wished to become a god that instant rather than just being told her efforts would bear fruit.

Genuinely can you see the character who decided to fight Featherine and Bern in Ep. 8 in Satoko? The girl who described as a social butterfly and has tons of friends (In contrast to Bern, who has none)? Because I can't. Lambdatoko is a one dimensional piece of garbage who only cares about Rika. 34 is a double edge sword who will mess you up, but also may work for you if you are willing to put on a show and be resolute.

Last edited:

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I think a lot of the issues we are seeing may be due to the anime not being as good as it could, I am sure R07 would make the story justice in a novel... if he ever goes around to write it, as he is focused in Ciconia right now. Maybe the manga can provide a better understanding of it all.

For example, I am sure that social isolation, for at least a year, was one of the things that broke Satoko, it isn't shown how really, really serious social isolation can be in the anime, but it is, it can break people's minds and, if it serious, even lead to hallucinations. She didn't get that isolated, but the stress and isolation surely did a number on her, and she went thorugh that twice. Then they glossed over on how killing herself over and over again would dehumanize her, plus it seems her obsession with Rika just kept growing out of control at the same time.

It doesn't look like Satoko is going through hell, but I bet it is intended for her to be and mentally she isn't happy with any of this, maybe they'll touch on this more in the Nekoakashi-hen, or maybe not, but I hope so.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wataakashi's first episode was pretty unexpected... although I wish this had been part of OniAkashi since I really wanted more Mion focus.

I... don't see any problem with it? It's not like she was even torturing Rika's specifically, especially in the context of meta characters were the pieces are presented as just stories for them. Yeah, it's messed up but they are two horrible messed up people. I'd argue the relationship is more messed up now that Lambdatoko watched 100 years of her friend suffering and decides to break her mind completely because she doesn't want her to go a different school. Now she has a personal connection to Rika and it's entirely disturbing. She doesn't love Rika, she loves a version of her that she can control and is completely braindead. Lambda may want to imprison Bern, but she also loves her with all the thorns and even willing to fly in different directions so they don't bore themselves too much.

Actually about Featherine, how does this even fit? Higurashi as a game between Featherine (Hanyuu) and Lambda (her piece Takano) works, but Sotsu is all Satoko torturing Rika with Featherine as her sponsor.

She can't understand Beatrice because Beatrice doesn't play to win and constantly makes nonsensical moves (From her pov), she can understand Lambda because she's a meta witch like her and she plays to win. It's just a hint of Beato's true motive more than anything, come on... Also of course it make sense, it's exactly what they are referencing there! They are vague Higurashi references and nods to Higurashi's story! That's like Ep 1 or 2, R07 still hadn't thought about Bern and Lambda plot at that point, let alone Gou.

Regarding these two quotes about Umineko,
you're ignoring how Bern wasn't a witch initially. She wasn't looking at the torture as an external observer. Same thing goes to the line about understanding Lambda. How can a piece in the gameboard even say that about some external entity that had no contact with her? Like I mentioned before too, another odd mention is Lambda's reference to having been betrayed by Bern before, which doesn't fit as any kind of Higurashi parallel.

Like I said, I don't think he had Gou/Sotsu itself planned, especially not from the start of Umineko, but I think he had some kind of Bern/Lambda specific backstory in mind, but Lambda was an OC rather than Satoko, with him starting to consider the Satoko concept by the time of episodes 7/8 (where a side-story randomly shows Lambda being into boobytraps even though that never comes up in Umineko itself, and the Higurashi pie puzzle being referenced in ep8 as something Bern knew Lambda had fallen for before).

Featherine as Satoko's sponsor explains why Bern only blames Featherine for her suffering rather than Lambda. In a way, it's still Featherine vs Lambda since Satoko is basically facing Featherine's piece (even if she's only a player due to Featherine herself). In regards to this, there was even a recent Newtype interview where R07 referenced how Rika isn't even really a "player" here.

Yeah I don't see it sorry. Satoko watches 100 years of her friends' sufferings and at the end she shrugs it off and decides to torture Rika even more. We saw how logic errors work with both Battler and Rika, they are horrific nonsensical scenarios you just can't get out, Satoko watching the plot of Higurashi is nothing like that. If he R07 wanted me to think it was a torture on the same level as Rika (Also why would Lambda wonders "how long she stayed in there? "She knows it has been 100 years, she even went there voluntarily...) Did she became the witch of certantly because she watched 100 years of Rika's suffering? That's a weak ass backstory for a witch.

As far as going voluntarily, when explaining her error and Bern's to Erika, Lambda specifically notes that Bern's logic error wasn't Bern's fault, but says nothing like that about her own error. Satoko is also shown watching events even beyond Rika's death (Tatarigoroshi's ending), so it's also unknown how long it actually took her.

Really, I don't get how you think Battler's logic error is comparable to any of these at all anyway. He was locked and chained to a room for a while because he couldn't find an answer to get out of the locked room, but got saved relatively quickly. The narrative attempts made to make it look comparable to Rika's situation was always really odd (and then it gets forgotten almost instantly anyway once he's out, showing no lasting impact at all).

Mei also has Rika and Hanyuu fusing into one person and becoming little monsters and Higurashi has 100 spin offs, one where the zombie apocalypse happens, aliens come to Hinamizawa and Hanyuu has a fight with another goddess from the next town over because she ate her rice offering. I'm saying Higurashi spin offs can say what they want but if it's not the main story it's irrelevant. And also the point is that it's lame and narrows down the setting, not that R07 can't explain it. He can have all the club members become meta-witches if he wanted it, it doesn't change it makes the story feel extremely narrow in scope and it feels like he's just doing it for the fanservice to me.
Well, those aren't really Rika and Hanyuu. They're monsters called tsukuyami that represent lies obscuring the truth of the catbox... Mei goes in an oddly meta-story direction for something called "Higurashi". I get what you mean by dismissing spin-offs, but then you can get some stuff like that scene from Gou where after Matsuri Rika and Satoko promise to stay together that never happened in the original... but that promise happened in Daybreak Mega (which had a R07 story and came out after the Umineko Question arcs). Kamikashimashi although having that really silly ending, had the gods dragging Rika to the Sea of Fragments while still alive, like Satoko's meeting with Eua in Gou. Even if the stories aren't actually part of the main plot, they kind of show how the person behind the universe looks at it.

Genuinely can you see the character who decided to fight Featherine and Bern in Ep. 8 in Satoko? The girl who described as a social butterfly and has tons of friends (In contrast to Bern, who has none)? Because I can't. Lambdatoko is a one dimensional piece of garbage who only cares about Rika. 34 is a double edge sword who will mess you up, but also may work for you if you are willing to put on a show and be resolute.
I could see the old Satoko risking her life for someone else. Yeah, currently she wouldn't do that, by like I said before, by making Satoko go this low, then she can receive development and be a better person by the end, giving it a positive feel as a standalone work, even if she still will have other issues. Also, don't forget even Lambda herself has a breakdown about them being just "characters" and how she'd enjoy watching their meaningless deaths before she returns to actually help.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Let's not forget Satoko's dress changes in the OP to a witch attire most likely, though it's hard to see in the reflection. It also looks like in the OP as if Satoko was falling and being consumed by darkness before someone saves her somehow, but we will see how it all plays out.
I also fully expect Rika to go all Saikoroshi-hen (but even more violently) on Satoko for being a monster, though the Satoko on that story was just a bully. Also, about all this Bern and Lambda discussion, I think we can pretty much say that Rika's current conciousness is Bern, it just isn't the evil monster of Umineko (yet), but she can be pretty merciless when she wants, or needs, to. The same could be applied to the looping Satoko (though she is already a psycologically damaged monster).

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Wataakashi's first episode was pretty unexpected... although I wish this had been part of OniAkashi since I really wanted more Mion focus.

Regarding these two quotes about Umineko,
you're ignoring how Bern wasn't a witch initially. She wasn't looking at the torture as an external observer. Same thing goes to the line about understanding Lambda. How can a piece in the gameboard even say that about some external entity that had no contact with her? Like I mentioned before too, another odd mention is Lambda's reference to having been betrayed by Bern before, which doesn't fit as any kind of Higurashi parallel.

Like I said, I don't think he had Gou/Sotsu itself planned, especially not from the start of Umineko, but I think he had some kind of Bern/Lambda specific backstory in mind, but Lambda was an OC rather than Satoko, with him starting to consider the Satoko concept by the time of episodes 7/8 (where a side-story randomly shows Lambda being into boobytraps even though that never comes up in Umineko itself, and the Higurashi pie puzzle being referenced in ep8 as something Bern knew Lambda had fallen for before).

Leaving aside that Bern is a character herself in Higurashi, I'm saying that regardless of anything that was she meant. Like you want to argue it doesn't make much sense, but it does to me because 1) it's 100% what R07 was mentioning there 2) Umineko talking about Higurashi is always vague. For example Rika's journey is described in Umineko terms with game masters and logic errors, terms that are never used in Higurashi itself and not even Gou. So Bern talking about Rika beating Takano as her "fight against 34" makes 100% sense to me.

Also Lambda iirc mentions Bern betrayed her because she moved all the pieces behind her when she wasn't looking, which doesn't fit anything Satoko experienced. It may fit a vague reading of Matsuri. It certainly wasn't referencing anything about St.Lucia.

Featherine as Satoko's sponsor explains why Bern only blames Featherine for her suffering rather than Lambda. In a way, it's still Featherine vs Lambda since Satoko is basically facing Featherine's piece (even if she's only a player due to Featherine herself). In regards to this, there was even a recent Newtype interview where R07 referenced how Rika isn't even really a "player" here.

... How? Like Featherine is not even playing. How can she blame her for her suffering when it's all Satoko using her powers for selfish means. In context, Lambda comes off as less messed up to me (But again, it doesn't matter in the context of meta characters, they are pretty much concepts) as she is a meta character reading a story, vs Lambdatoko enacting the torture with her owns hands for the selfish goal of breaking Rika. Lambda is an extraterrestrial unknown eldritch abomination reading a story (Something Bern will do later in Umineko, and acting worse than Lambdadelta herself), Satoko is whiny little child and a mass murder and completely unforgivable.

Featherine may have given Satoko powers and forced Rika to loop (Under Satoko's request!) but she didn't make Satoko inject her friends and torture Rika. In fact, she doesn't appear to do anything?

As far as going voluntarily, when explaining her error and Bern's to Erika, Lambda specifically notes that Bern's logic error wasn't Bern's fault, but says nothing like that about her own error. Satoko is also shown watching events even beyond Rika's death (Tatarigoroshi's ending), so it's also unknown how long it actually took her.

Really, I don't get how you think Battler's logic error is comparable to any of these at all anyway. He was locked and chained to a room for a while because he couldn't find an answer to get out of the locked room, but got saved relatively quickly. The narrative attempts made to make it look comparable to Rika's situation was always really odd (and then it gets forgotten almost instantly anyway once he's out, showing no lasting impact at all).

He didn't get saved quickly, the narrative points out that time in the logic error doesn't flow normally (on the top of the meta world not having a normal time flow), so what Battler experienced was being locked in a room with no exit and forced to play a game he couldn't win. He did actually experience the horrific scenario on his skin. Not that Battler won his own logic error anyway, he got saved.

Like legit, even if R07 tells me I'm not going to accept Lambdadelta's logic error was her WATCHING the plot of Higurashi.

Well, those aren't really Rika and Hanyuu. They're monsters called tsukuyami that represent lies obscuring the truth of the catbox... Mei goes in an oddly meta-story direction for something called "Higurashi". I get what you mean by dismissing spin-offs, but then you can get some stuff like that scene from Gou where after Matsuri Rika and Satoko promise to stay together that never happened in the original... but that promise happened in Daybreak Mega (which had a R07 story and came out after the Umineko Question arcs). Kamikashimashi although having that really silly ending, had the gods dragging Rika to the Sea of Fragments while still alive, like Satoko's meeting with Eua in Gou. Even if the stories aren't actually part of the main plot, they kind of show how the person behind the universe looks at it.

Obviously, I'm saying that unless something comes from the main story, I won't think of it as "canon". But really the point wasn't that even if R07 tells me everyone in the club could become a witch I would still think the idea of Keiichi the Witch of Words is lame and reductive. Umineko presents the meta world as this massive universe where both Higurashi and Umineko are "tiny books", but not all of the meta cast comes from the same story (At least Feathreine existed before Hanyuu, I guess)

I could see the old Satoko risking her life for someone else. Yeah, currently she wouldn't do that, by like I said before, by making Satoko go this low, then she can receive development and be a better person by the end, giving it a positive feel as a standalone work, even if she still will have other issues. Also, don't forget even Lambda herself has a breakdown about them being just "characters" and how she'd enjoy watching their meaningless deaths before she returns to actually help.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. To me, Satoko is surface-level Lambda. I can see some traits in her when she rants about certainly and stuff, but I can't see Lambda's more positive traits and whimsical personality.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Also unrelated but it seems this week episode straight up avoided showing how Satoko injected Mion. lol

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Satoko is such a piece of shit, sorry. I know this will end with her and Rika fucking off to metaverse as the witches but I seriously hope she will get her comeuppance beforehand.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This episode shows that Satoko was spying on Rika meaning that she is probably aware of the shard

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Satoko this episode just stepped out of the fragment to talk with Eua then returned. When I first watched it live I thought it might be a flashback, but checking that scene again it clearly wasn't.

Leaving aside that Bern is a character herself in Higurashi, I'm saying that regardless of anything that was she meant. Like you want to argue it doesn't make much sense, but it does to me because 1) it's 100% what R07 was mentioning there 2) Umineko talking about Higurashi is always vague. For example Rika's journey is described in Umineko terms with game masters and logic errors, terms that are never used in Higurashi itself and not even Gou. So Bern talking about Rika beating Takano as her "fight against 34" makes 100% sense to me.

Also Lambda iirc mentions Bern betrayed her because she moved all the pieces behind her when she wasn't looking, which doesn't fit anything Satoko experienced. It may fit a vague reading of Matsuri. It certainly wasn't referencing anything about St.Lucia.
Yes, the Higurashi references in Umineko and the references to what happened to Bern before she was a witch were meant to be Rika vs Takano, but I don't think all the Bern/Lambda backstory references were supposed to be Higurashi references in the first place.

Lambda mentions a betrayal from Bern to Beatrice in a light hearted tone during her intro, which could be a reference to the bit about moving pieces that she tells Battler, right afterwards, but (much) later on says it to Bern herself with a more serious expression. There's also a comment from Bern about Lambda getting lonely easily. There are several of these that clearly weren't meant to be Higurashi parallels, and were probably more meant o suggest they had a long history by the point they appear in Umineko.

... How? Like Featherine is not even playing. How can she blame her for her suffering when it's all Satoko using her powers for selfish means. In context, Lambda comes off as less messed up to me (But again, it doesn't matter in the context of meta characters, they are pretty much concepts) as she is a meta character reading a story, vs Lambdatoko enacting the torture with her owns hands for the selfish goal of breaking Rika. Lambda is an extraterrestrial unknown eldritch abomination reading a story (Something Bern will do later in Umineko, and acting worse than Lambdadelta herself), Satoko is whiny little child and a mass murder and completely unforgivable.

Featherine may have given Satoko powers and forced Rika to loop (Under Satoko's request!) but she didn't make Satoko inject her friends and torture Rika. In fact, she doesn't appear to do anything?
There was a recent Newtype interview with Ryukishi where he basically confirmed Eua isn't doing anything unknown behind the scenes. However, he goes on to say she did pick a girl during puberty at the time she was most vulnerable emotionally and pushed her in a way she knew would cause a tragedy. So, everything goes back to her. There obviously will be some conflict, but by the end Rika most likely won't hold everything against her.

Either way, Satoko is already acting like the people she kills don't count. She gives a whole speech in the Gou finale about it and her actions in Sotsu line up with that.

He didn't get saved quickly, the narrative points out that time in the logic error doesn't flow normally (on the top of the meta world not having a normal time flow), so what Battler experienced was being locked in a room with no exit and forced to play a game he couldn't win. He did actually experience the horrific scenario on his skin. Not that Battler won his own logic error anyway, he got saved.

Like legit, even if R07 tells me I'm not going to accept Lambdadelta's logic error was her WATCHING the plot of Higurashi.
It's weird to me you think Battler being locked in a room for an unknown amount of time is a hellish experience, but can't accept 100+ years with no human contact, just watching things as a phantom, somehow isn't one. Even in the original Hanyuu gripped about her condition all the time in Minagoroshi. Bernkastel's final Matsuri poem also compares her 100 years of suffering to Hanyuu's 1000 and how they'd get enough happiness to make up for all that.

Obviously, I'm saying that unless something comes from the main story, I won't think of it as "canon". But really the point wasn't that even if R07 tells me everyone in the club could become a witch I would still think the idea of Keiichi the Witch of Words is lame and reductive. Umineko presents the meta world as this massive universe where both Higurashi and Umineko are "tiny books", but not all of the meta cast comes from the same story (At least Feathreine existed before Hanyuu, I guess)
I get what you mean, but Lambda was always a character tied to Higurashi references. Whether she was born there or not, her entire known backstory was tied to Higurashi references and another character meant to reference Higurashi. Even her other "friends" are just mentioned near the ending and we don't get even a single one of them introduced (In fact, it's Bernkastel who ends up bringing outsiders in spite of being the one without friends).

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. To me, Satoko is surface-level Lambda. I can see some traits in her when she rants about certainly and stuff, but I can't see Lambda's more positive traits and whimsical personality.
I think they needed to drag Satoko down so that in the ending she can still develop in a more positive direction rather than it being presented as a "fall".

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone @ me whenever the story goes back to where the first season left off? I watched the first episode for this season and I'm done with retreading past arcs.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Satoko: My, my, Rika sure is good with a knife!
Rika: *coating the room with dozens of litres of Kool-Aid after multiple failed slashes*

Mion: It takes a long time to learn things! You have to practice a lot!
Satoko: Why, hard work and practice are my specialty!
Satoko: *proceeds to fail high school several times in a row*

...Still, dialogue completely lacking in self-awareness aside, this week's episode wasn't outright terrible. Are my standards too low? Definitely! But at least they didn't trick the network into airing a rerun of Gou again. That's where my expectations were for this episode, so it wasn't exactly a high bar.
Satoko this episode just stepped out of the fragment to talk with Eua then returned. When I first watched it live I thought it might be a flashback, but checking that scene again it clearly wasn't.
No, I believe it was probably supposed to be a flashback. It's bookended with the same white transitions as the scene where Satoko practices with the airsoft gun, and that scene has to be a flashback. (Presumably to one of the loops we saw little of in Gou 22; those are the only ones it could be, since we're limited to loops that go past 1983. Even though it makes little to no sense for her to do gun training at that point... Making it yet another case of her not being driven mad by the hundred years of fragments she watched. She was doing long-term murder planning within her first ten loops.)

...That said, Gou 24 already kinda made it look like Satoko could pause and chat (though it wasn't perfectly clear), so there's always the possibility that it is indeed supposed to be that in this episode, and the shared white transitions are just this show's cinematography being as lumpy as always. Wouldn't much surprise me.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, the Higurashi references in Umineko and the references to what happened to Bern before she was a witch were meant to be Rika vs Takano, but I don't think all the Bern/Lambda backstory references were supposed to be Higurashi references in the first place.

Lambda mentions a betrayal from Bern to Beatrice in a light hearted tone during her intro, which could be a reference to the bit about moving pieces that she tells Battler, right afterwards, but (much) later on says it to Bern herself with a more serious expression. There's also a comment from Bern about Lambda getting lonely easily. There are several of these that clearly weren't meant to be Higurashi parallels, and were probably more meant o suggest they had a long history by the point they appear in Umineko.

It's possible in the 1000 years they have know each other they may have fought other times but 1) Higurashi, as a story was done (Rei is final as they come) 2) By R07 own admission, he didn't think a background story for both Bern and Lambda characters, who were "fun extra characters". So anything they say in Ep 1 or 2 is effectively meaningless or an Higurashi reference. Heck, even Bern being evil is something he did not decide until later. He may retcon it, but it's not something that had a meaning when it was written, beyond the one presented.

There was a recent Newtype interview with Ryukishi where he basically confirmed Eua isn't doing anything unknown behind the scenes. However, he goes on to say she did pick a girl during puberty at the time she was most vulnerable emotionally and pushed her in a way she knew would cause a tragedy. So, everything goes back to her. There obviously will be some conflict, but by the end Rika most likely won't hold everything against her.

Either way, Satoko is already acting like the people she kills don't count. She gives a whole speech in the Gou finale about it and her actions in Sotsu line up with that.

Eula shows up 2 minutes after being awakened by Satoko herself, reads her feelings and warps her to Masturi-2. That's all she does and in the same loop Satoko murders Rika with a chandelier because she could and completely unprompted. This is not Eula's fault, this is Satoko's fault for being a damn psychopath (Which is OOC btw), even Hanyuu had more impact despite being locked in ghost jail simply by the fact she spent her time prompting L5 people and discouraging Rika (Who, despite being a looper, never murdered anyone out of pure resentment)

If she's meant to be a corrupting force she's pretty bad at it, she does nothing!

It's weird to me you think Battler being locked in a room for an unknown amount of time is a hellish experience, but can't accept 100+ years with no human contact, just watching things as a phantom, somehow isn't one. Even in the original Hanyuu gripped about her condition all the time in Minagoroshi. Bernkastel's final Matsuri poem also compares her 100 years of suffering to Hanyuu's 1000 and how they'd get enough happiness to make up for all that.

But how is watching something a logic error? What kind of move did the GM do that locked Lambdatoko into a permanent fail state where she could only get out with certainty. How is fragment watching, something people do all the time in meta for what matters, a logic error?

Rika was murdered as a 10 years old girl, she was resurrected and forced to play a game where everything she tried failed, had to watch her parents and friends either going insane or getting murdered until she became numb to all emotions. Satoko was already pretty unhinged before watching Rika's 100 years, after that she came out... the same? Just more unhinged and with less empathy? Am I suppose to feel like she experienced some hellish hell when so far she has never once addressed the fact she was locked into watching fragments for 100 years? In fact, she seems more than happy to use her "knowledge" to break Rika, more than anything? Witches don't want to think about their logic error, it's a horrific experience that they try to forget.

Also, if she's Lambdadelta how is she watching something herself has yet to cause?

At least I experienced the logic error with Battler and saw how horrific his situation was, even if it didn't affect him in the long run.

I get what you mean, but Lambda was always a character tied to Higurashi references. Whether she was born there or not, her entire known backstory was tied to Higurashi references and another character meant to reference Higurashi. Even her other "friends" are just mentioned near the ending and we don't get even a single one of them introduced (In fact, it's Bernkastel who ends up bringing outsiders in spite of being the one without friends).

She had precise tied to Higurashi though. She gave Takano her blessing and that's it. R07 went all the troubles of repeatedly pointing out Lambda is older than Bern and she was all alone before her, but she was born... in Higurashi's sequel? And her horrific logic error was... watching Higurashi?

Last edited: