• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how there's apparently even a bunch of Keiichi centered scenes. I've been actually considering they've been hiding some big Keiichi moments in Watadamashi, after rewatching it and reading the manga version, but I'm not sure what could be happening in Onidamashi.
I think it's possible Keiichi killed Rika in Watadamashi and Mion was just covering for him. He is the last one shown to return to class in the next episode, when Rika had disappeared, and when approaching the septic tank, glanced to the sides before advancing and then seemed surprised the door was closed. He also seemed overly aggressive when Satoko was questioning him about it.

In the manga version of Watadamashi, he's outright going all Onikakushi-like, seeing multiple people with Hinamizawa syndrome eyes like Oishi, not only Mion, being so paranoid that when Mion calls him to Watanagashi the first thing he thinks about is killing people in the ancient ritual, and also HS eyes in some scenes, including right after Rika gives her "your life is over" speech.
It's possible, but Mion had the actual keys to the septic tank, and her first instinct was to go to looking there for Rika in the Neko arc during the hide and seek game. Then there's the fact she stopped Keiichi from opening the door the moment he was about to find the body, which really shouldn't be a surprise to him if he was the one to kill her. Then directly afterwards we get Mion's huge rant about Rika being the one behind everything mirroring Shion. All of that and I figure Mion moving the body without telling him would probably just make him even more paranoid like what happened in Tatarigoroshi.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's possible, but Mion had the actual keys to the septic tank, and her first instinct was to go to looking there for Rika in the Neko arc during the hide and seek game. Then there's the fact she stopped Keiichi from opening the door the moment he was about to find the body, which really shouldn't be a surprise to him if he was the one to kill her. Then directly afterwards we get Mion's huge rant about Rika being the one behind everything mirroring Shion. All of that and I figure Mion moving the body without telling him would probably just make him even more paranoid like what happened in Tatarigoroshi.

I think she'd be trying to get him out of there, like going "What is this idiot doing!?" Keiichi seemed surprised the door was locked, which could hint at him having opened it before. Mion going in a sudden rant blaming Rika for it all makes sense if she wants to convince herself the tragedy was happening due to Rika, not Keiichi.

Oct 25, 2017
I think she'd be trying to get him out of there, like going "What is this idiot doing!?" Keiichi seemed surprised the door was locked, which could hint at him having opened it before. Mion going in a sudden rant blaming Rika for it all makes sense if she wants to convince herself the tragedy was happening due to Rika, not Keiichi.

Yes, normally she would want to protect K1, but remember this scene happened directly after Rika breaks character, and goes into her Bern mode with Keiichi. If Mion was listening in to the conversation from her perspective it would look like she was cursing him specifically even if she wasn't in L5. She could even interpret the line about Shion still being alive as Rika knowing about the twin swap between her and Shion, and take that as evidence of Rika being the mastermind behind the curse. It's likely that Mion killed Shion and Oryou back at the Sonozaki mansion the night before in either self defense or had flashbacks to the OG arc where Shion attacked her, and Keiichi and either stopped Shion or tried to prevent it. Keep in mind she also has scratch marks on her neck in both the anime and the manga when we see the final shot of her body with Satoko.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
New Higurashi Sotsu PV and key art

v_003.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the video still looking like it's coming mostly from the first answer arc outside of a few scenes, but we're getting some new time skip designs from a different timeline it looks like?
It looks like it could be their high school designs, which were completely avoided during Satokowashi. Note Rena's hair. It's just her standard hairstyle, not college Rena's.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So the first parts will be retreads/subversions of the original arcs again? Kind of disappointing, as I ended up skimming through most of them in Gou. I would think it's better to have the most time possible for wrapping the story up satisfactorily.
The first part is explaining what actually happened in the Gou portion of those arcs just like the original Higurashi format from a different perspective.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched a bit of Gou and enjoyed it, but I haven't watched any of the older animes and I can't really be fucked to get through 40-60 episodes of the same narrative arcs with slightly different endings each time... Is there a guide somewhere that I could watch with Gou to get the cliffnotes on what the differences are and why it's important?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So the first parts will be retreads/subversions of the original arcs again? Kind of disappointing, as I ended up skimming through most of them in Gou. I would think it's better to have the most time possible for wrapping the story up satisfactorily.
I think the Sotsu answer arcs will stand out more compared to the Gou question arcs because the whole point is that there were unexpected elements going on in the background but they were hidden from the viewers. Now we get to see those elements without anything being hidden away, so there should be less retreads of the original series, even the similar elements (Like
Rena killing Rina like in Tsumihoroboshi
) seem to be handled in a different way and then we have Satoko running around making the whole scenario happen and we'll actually see that this time.

I've watched a bit of Gou and enjoyed it, but I haven't watched any of the older animes and I can't really be fucked to get through 40-60 episodes of the same narrative arcs with slightly different endings each time... Is there a guide somewhere that I could watch with Gou to get the cliffnotes on what the differences are and why it's important?

I don't recommend it, but I guess you could start watching the original series from episode 14 and from there go on to Kai. There is only one arc after that point that has been redone by Gou (the child protection services part of Tataridamashi) and even so that's just the middle of the arc with the beginning and ending being completely different (and not just a last minute death, it was much longer than that).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, Shion on the key art. Wow, they actually remembered her.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
I think the Sotsu answer arcs will stand out more compared to the Gou question arcs because the whole point is that there were unexpected elements going on in the background but they were hidden from the viewers. Now we get to see those elements without anything being hidden away, so there should be less retreads of the original series, even the similar elements (Like
Rena killing Rina like in Tsumihoroboshi
) seem to be handled in a different way and then we have Satoko running around making the whole scenario happen and we'll actually see that this time.
Yeah, it makes sense that the answer arcs should be considerably different this time. I'll stay optimistic, but maybe a bit wary of how the pacing will get near the end.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Not even the original did mirror arcs except Maekashi and it had far more stuff going and a far more complex mystery as well actual character development. I foresee a lot of boredom if they really spend 3 episodes showing us how Satoko drove Rena crazy.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The heroic champion Rena appears! Remember Tsumihoroboshi? It was really good! The peak of Higurashi! Friendship and love and hope, hooray!

Haha just kidding murderSatoko is still here, Gou gonna Gou. Back into the garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
The heroic champion Rena appears! Remember Tsumihoroboshi? It was really good! The peak of Higurashi! Friendship and love and hope, hooray!

Haha just kidding murderSatoko is still here, Gou gonna Gou. Back into the garbage.
Even Tsumihoroboshi ended with everyone dying to the Gas Disaster after everything they went through in the end. Just saying.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Even Tsumihoroboshi ended with everyone dying to the Gas Disaster after everything they went through in the end. Just saying.
Well, yeah. It also features loads of brutal murder, and those children would have all been totally traumatized for life even if they'd lived past 1986. (Rena certainly was.) That's the kind of story Higurashi is, after all. The hopeful messages of the series land so much better than the myriad other "power of friendship" shows specifically because they're rooted in crushing darkness that doesn't just magically go away. That's why Tsumihoroboshi and Minagoroshi are the best arcs -- and why Gou (with its complete lack of introspection and its one-note-to-the-point-of-hilarity tone) is super bleh.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. It also features loads of brutal murder, and those children would have all been totally traumatized for life even if they'd lived past 1986. (Rena certainly was.) That's the kind of story Higurashi is, after all. The hopeful messages of the series land so much better than the myriad other "power of friendship" shows specifically because they're rooted in crushing darkness that doesn't just magically go away. That's why Tsumihoroboshi and Minagoroshi are the best arcs -- and why Gou (with its complete lack of introspection and its one-note-to-the-point-of-hilarity tone) is super bleh.
Well both of those arcs were the answer arcs and most of Higurashi's major themes don't really show up until you get to them. It's also heck of alot easier to get those themes across in a written format like the VNs. I imagine Sotsu will be delving into it quite a bit now that the mystery portion is out of the way. Even in Gou's defense you still have those themes popping up in Watadamashii with Mion and Keiichi bit in the Sonozaki jail. Part of the reason Gou exists is that Satoko never truly knew the real Rika instead of the face she puts on in loops.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
She knows the real Rika know and her reaction to it was breaking her further to completely destroy her personality. Probably the most reprehensible WTC character of all the time.

Also I feel like Saikoroshi was a decent conclusion to Rika's arc anyway. She wasn't interested in being Bernkastel or playing chuuni witch, she just wanted to be Furude Rika.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So... I fell off of this a couple arcs in, not due to disliking it but just my brain being very bad about keeping up with things as they air (and, frankly, knowing fucking Teppei returning was what I was going to be watching next made it harder to feel in the mood to get back to it). I at least got myself to start catching up when I thought it was ending. During all that, I was catching up on the thread's discussion episode-by-episode too, since the speculation was something I really enjoyed before I fell behind. And I actually spent a significant amount of time writing a long post of my thoughts here to post when I was fully caught up. Then when I learned it wasn't ending, I kinda... accidentally didn't finish catching up on the last few episodes, and didn't post it.

...so now I came back due to it being bumped, and discovered the post I was writing is all gone due to how long it's been, welp. The one time I purely leave it in drafts and don't remember to write it in a text file like I usually do, this happens! Ugh.

I guess my tl;dr for what I remember is - I was enjoying the ride a lot more than some of you it seemed, hah. Part of that is likely not having to wait for new episodes - though I wasn't outright binging them, usually I was watching them days apart still - and part of that is only playing the games last summer (though I did play Umineko a decade ago). But I think there's just some things I was more willing to accept. This existing can't tarnish the originals in for me, it's its own separate thing, so that helped to begin with. I also think I was more sympathetic to Satoko than most; she's a severely traumatized child with no real context for what Rika went though, so of course she's going to react poorly when her friend pushes her into such a harsh life again. And then again when she learns her friend didn't really exist to begin with, because Rika is not really that child, no matter how much she can slip into that mode. But on the other hand, I still find Rika's whole "I'm just going to go off to fancy lady school and Satoko will totally fit in there and enjoy it too" as being very awkwardly handled... I get her wanting this selfish wish to be free of the town and to still have Satoko with her, but... she had to have known that Satoko would not enjoy that, at all? Since Satoko's behavior is part of what kept her sane to begin with? I was pleasantly surprised when Satoko tried to confront her about that, but then they were both in denial about it instead... And so on.

in any case, I guess I need to get myself to go watch those last few episodes fiiiiinally, so I can be ready for the next part and actually keep up with it and the discussion this time...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could believe that the animation team isn't randomly messing up. I just noticed that Rika's death scene in the Sotsu trailer is completely different from the one in Onidamashi, but it could be just inconsistent continuity. If it's not an error though, it'd be point to the answer arcs being new fragments rather than just perspective shifts.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Damn I just read through this thread after catching up with the whole thing. Didn't realize so many people hated this lol.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So we got confirmation that Sotsu will start airing on July 1st and that it will begin with a double broadcast

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

New, and probably final, Sotsu trailer. Although its cut in a way that makes most scenes there fairly confusing.

Based on this trailer, I guess Satoko might convince Rika to kill herself in what's probably Onidamashi.

Last edited:

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wish I could believe that the animation team isn't randomly messing up. I just noticed that Rika's death scene in the Sotsu trailer is completely different from the one in Onidamashi, but it could be just inconsistent continuity. If it's not an error though, it'd be point to the answer arcs being new fragments rather than just perspective shifts.

How on Earth could you get that much blood splashing out of one body just by using a knife?

On second thoughts, I don't wanna know

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's back and those two episodes were pretty fun.

We got confirmation that Satoko is injecting people directly, and that Rena basically went off the deep end like Tsumi except Keiichi didn't remember the loops this time to keep her in check. The direction of the 2nd episode definitely felt a lot better than the previous season, and I'd say t's probably the best looking episode of New Higurashi thus far. I hope they keep it up for Wata's answer arc since that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting some kind of Lambda/Bern design tease in the background of some part of the opening, but rather than that we get
Satoko and Rika reenacting their clash... which just looks really out of place next to everything else in Higurashi and the opening itself.
The future club is also looking oddly ominous and I'm really not sure what that means.

As far as the episode itself goes,
Still no explanation about Rika's identity. We still don't know from where she was thrown into the loops for sure. I was also slightly disappointed that Satoko just used the syringe and observed Rena with no actual manipulation aside from the infection, but I guess we'll see that in future arcs considering the Rika obsession of most other culprits. The direction does seem improved. Strong use of lighting to set the mood and more varied camera angles, even if it's not exactly a complete leap over Gou.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah Higurashi Thursdays are back!

Wonder how much they will cover with the episodes considering that these first two only covered the first episode of Gou and Sotsu only appears to have only 15 episodes

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was a lot of nothing. Not bad episodes, exactly, just... Not new. It didn't feel like a Sotsu episode; it felt like an episode of the reboot we never actually got, with a couple random two-second bits of Gou stapled on top. And I do mean bits of Gou, not bits of Sotsu, because none of the Satoko parts gave us anything that wasn't already at the very least heavily implied. Oh, Satoko used the thing she stole? What a twist! I never would have imagined!

Overall, I'm considerably disappointed that they seem to be straight-up doing "Onidamashi again, but with Rena/Satoko PoV". That's really not what answer arcs are supposed to be... The title of this arc, Oniakashi, blatantly implies that they're going for a Meakashi sort of thing, but that's no excuse -- even if we accept that that's what Oniakashi is supposed to be, it's still missing what made Meakashi work.

Meakashi does technically replay Watanagashi (or a very similar fragment) from Shion's perspective, but critically, that's only the back 25% of the arc. The majority of Meakashi is spent in 1982, showing us things we never got to see before from any perspective. It spends ages on turning Shion (who we barely knew) and Satoshi (who had literally never appeared before, only been mentioned) into real, fleshed-out characters. What new ground will be covered in Oniakashi? What will we learn about Rena or Satoko? So far the answer is "nothing", and I don't expect that to change. Even taking the most charitable read (that we learned something about Rina), retconning in thirty seconds of not-horrible-person-ness can't carry an arc on its own.

I was expecting some kind of Lambda/Bern design tease in the background of some part of the opening, but rather than that we get
Satoko and Rika reenacting their clash... which just looks really out of place next to everything else in Higurashi and the opening itself.
The moment I saw that shot, I immediately blurted "don't tell me we're getting Umineko magic fights..." at my computer screen. I cannot express how disappointing that would be. The less witch stuff, the better, but it'd somehow be even more bleh if they did it in their normal outfits.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for some more revelations about now, not more retreads. Assumed it'd have picked up from the scene Rika confronts Satoko about looping too

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they spend like most of the season re-doing the arc again. It would be hilarious.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they spend like most of the season re-doing the arc again. It would be hilarious.
As someone who unironically loves the anime version of Endless Eight, I would be legally required to give them my support if they actually spent the whole season this way. Heck, not even redoing each arc, just doing Onidamashi four more times in a row. I'd hate it so much, but also it'd be incredible.

...It'd probably make for better episodes than concluding the nonsense plot Gou set up, anyway!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really like what the Gou manga did in the latest chapter.

web-ace.jp

ひぐらしのなく頃に 業 - 竜騎士07/07th Expansion / 赤瀬とまと|ヤングエースUP

「ひぐらしのなく頃に 業」は、ヤングエースUPで配信中の無料コミックです。それは祟りか、運命か。必定の惨劇に、挑め。「ひぐらし」新アニメ作品をコミック化!!

Rather than going straight from Tataridamashi to the Hanyuu/fragment scene, we get many Nekodamashi-like loops where Rika is killed by tons of random characters, from the ones shown in Neko (aside from Akasaka and Satoko) to Oryo, the nameless claassmates and even Keiichi's mother. In the middle of all this Rika keeps saying that doesn't matter what happens she will still believe in her friends, although you can see by her wording how her will slowly breaks. It's a much better set up for her being desperate than in the anime where she seemingly fell apart after 3 loops.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
They should also do mirror arcs for that too. We need to be explained how Satoko drove every character in the Rika's death montage mad too. We cannot infer it with the current set-up. I need to have it spoon-feed it to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what the Gou manga did in the latest chapter.

web-ace.jp

ひぐらしのなく頃に 業 - 竜騎士07/07th Expansion / 赤瀬とまと|ヤングエースUP

「ひぐらしのなく頃に 業」は、ヤングエースUPで配信中の無料コミックです。それは祟りか、運命か。必定の惨劇に、挑め。「ひぐらし」新アニメ作品をコミック化!!

Rather than going straight from Tataridamashi to the Hanyuu/fragment scene, we get many Nekodamashi-like loops where Rika is killed by tons of random characters, from the ones shown in Neko (aside from Akasaka and Satoko) to Oryo, the nameless claassmates and even Keiichi's mother. In the middle of all this Rika keeps saying that doesn't matter what happens she will still believe in her friends, although you can see by her wording how her will slowly breaks. It's a much better set up for her being desperate than in the anime where she seemingly fell apart after 3 loops.
The manga does seem to do the scenarios a lot better than the anime consistently.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Well that was a lot of nothing. Not bad episodes, exactly, just... Not new. It didn't feel like a Sotsu episode; it felt like an episode of the reboot we never actually got, with a couple random two-second bits of Gou stapled on top. And I do mean bits of Gou, not bits of Sotsu, because none of the Satoko parts gave us anything that wasn't already at the very least heavily implied. Oh, Satoko used the thing she stole? What a twist! I never would have imagined!

Overall, I'm considerably disappointed that they seem to be straight-up doing "Onidamashi again, but with Rena/Satoko PoV". That's really not what answer arcs are supposed to be... The title of this arc, Oniakashi, blatantly implies that they're going for a Meakashi sort of thing, but that's no excuse -- even if we accept that that's what Oniakashi is supposed to be, it's still missing what made Meakashi work.

Meakashi does technically replay Watanagashi (or a very similar fragment) from Shion's perspective, but critically, that's only the back 25% of the arc. The majority of Meakashi is spent in 1982, showing us things we never got to see before from any perspective. It spends ages on turning Shion (who we barely knew) and Satoshi (who had literally never appeared before, only been mentioned) into real, fleshed-out characters. What new ground will be covered in Oniakashi? What will we learn about Rena or Satoko? So far the answer is "nothing", and I don't expect that to change. Even taking the most charitable read (that we learned something about Rina), retconning in thirty seconds of not-horrible-person-ness can't carry an arc on its own.

The moment I saw that shot, I immediately blurted "don't tell me we're getting Umineko magic fights..." at my computer screen. I cannot express how disappointing that would be. The less witch stuff, the better, but it'd somehow be even more bleh if they did it in their normal outfits.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes witch stuff. Now I never read Umineko, only watched the apparently terrible adaptation, but all of the "outside the gameboard" stuff never worked for me, as the rules governing it felt very vague and sometimes felt like they were seemingly ignored or changed on a whim (again, that could just be the bad adaptation); I was much more of a fan of Higurashi's very sparse usage of it as a framing device and a way to fill in a few bits that would otherwise be hard to understand without the outside context. I was way happier pondering the mystery of who Rika is, how all of this got started, and who she'd eventually turn into before they tied it into the whole greater witch mythos and all of the mess that implies.

My worry is I'm now biased against (what I assume will be) the ending, as I don't really think I can bring myself to care about Rika eventually triumphing over Satoko if the end result is the two of them turning into witches. I really don't care about Bern and Lambda, so the more it feels like Umineko and not Higurashi, the harder it's going to have to work to win me over.

I don't know if I'm alone in that or not (or if that's mostly because I never read Umineko), but I hope I'm either wrong or they prove me wrong. I loved the original seasons to death, thought Gou was great if only because I'm getting more of what I loved, and I think Sotsu already looks better than Gou but I feel like I can see the cracks in it just two episodes in.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I think the show will have a happy ending but it will be hilarious if the whole story and message of Higurashi got throw away so we can have an origin story for two characters who didn't need it (Bernkastel herself even already had one!).

... Actually he should do it. He already ruined the original story, may as well go for maximum entertainment value. Just kill all the Higus and have Rika straight up turn into Bern, because that's clearly the ending Higurashi deserves after 20 years. All the Higu's dead and Rika's happy ending ruined so she can turn into Bern.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interestingly, the scene with boxing glove had its background completely redrawn in Sotsu, and it's actually consistent from one shot to another. The characters generally match their movements from Gou perfectly though, even in shots from different camera angles. The new background also is consistent between different angles.

There is one other oddity within the scene though, the shot with Satoko standing next to the window happens while in the original Satoko was already next to the group. This stands out because otherwise they always match the original movements even in fully new shots.

I'm getting more and more hopeful for a "this is a new fragment" twist next episode. These don't feel like animation mistakes considering their consistency. Either way though, we only need to wait a few days. The next episode should answer this question one way or another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Not the most thrilling start.Guess Sotsu will be answer arcs? Kinda have to wait again to get back to
Guntoko vs Rika.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So, I got my answer, just not the one I wanted.

We'll really need to wait until episode 11/12 before getting any progression from the gun scene apparently.

Even by itself, it was a pretty nothing episode that just showed obvious answers. They didn't even bother showing Rika's reaction to the Mountain Dogs closing business to explain how passive she is in dealing with Takano in these loops. Just got the explanations regarding Rena's situation, which was obvious coming from the previous episodes.

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
WowIt'sHeckingNothing.gif. Not that I'm surprised by that at this point.

Things of "note" anyway:
- The yellow moths were a very rude troll. For a second, I almost believed this show was awful enough to go there.
- Surely even those who praised the first two episodes' directing / editing saw how lumpy this week's was. The flashback being edited in exactly the same way as all the montage-y time skips forward was the icing on the store-brand frozen cake.
- The hamhanded symbolism of the snap returns, hopefully putting to rest any arguments about the card game and password scenes last season.

Were any of y'all around anime communities back when Deen Higurashi was airing / popular? I've been thinking back on how that show was seen at the time, and wondering if maybe the people working on Gou/Sotsu were part of that discourse. It's been something like 15 years, after all; people who were in the target demo back then are working-age now.
Back then, if you were a casual anime fan who had only heard of Higurashi rather than watching or reading it, you probably "knew" a couple of things about it anyway through cultural osmosis. Murder lolis; everybody's yandere; gallons of blood; time loop mystery; USO DA. ("Knew" is in quotation marks here for hopefully obvious reasons.) Gou/Sotsu really feels like it was made with heavy influence from the sorts of second-hand impressions I so often saw online in the late 2000s.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be 6-7 weeks before we go back to main plot, isn't it.
20c75ea3256ce885b2527fe7614f6876d6355669.png

This is gonna be just one big glorified Lambda/Bern origin story.