• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Even though Shion has been sidelined so far in Gou, I hope Watadamashi's Answer arc is actually Mion focused. I really want to see an actual Mion focused arc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Even though Shion has been sidelined so far in Gou, I hope Watadamashi's Answer arc is actually Mion focused. I really want to see an actual Mion focused arc.
Same. Considering Shion still seemed mad at Mion in that arc we'll still probably get to see her do stuff until the Sonozaki party at least. It also seems to be the best chance we'll ever get of having an arc from Mion's POV.

Nov 29, 2018
Glad it took two episodes to explain the memories-from-other-loops thing, and then have Satoko get the virus vial in the last 5 minutes.

Too bad she can't do the snap thing on like, a test at the school she had such a hard time in. Naw, this is way easier.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Glad it took two episodes to explain the memories-from-other-loops thing, and then have Satoko get the virus vial in the last 5 minutes.

Too bad she can't do the snap thing on like, a test at the school she had such a hard time in. Naw, this is way easier.
Pretty sure the problem is less her being on the special class and more that she doesn't want to be in St. Lucia at all, before being send to the special class she was already felling miserable since she basically spent no time with Rika (the reason she is there in the first place) so even if she passed the tests that doesn't take away the fact she hates the place with other students looking down on her as shown with Rika friends complaining about Satoko personality

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
Pretty sure the problem is less her being on the special class and more that she doesn't want to be in St. Lucia at all, even if she passed the tests that doesn't take away the fact that people there look down on her as shown with Rika friends complaining about Satoko personality
Yeah, you're right. But it's the comparative difference between having a shitty high school life and murdering your friends for a hundred years that's kinda breaking my suspension of disbelief.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's really no way to sugarcoat it - Satoko is a piece of shit. Team Rika all day every day.

July is gonna be liiiiiit.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
EwzLxc-XIBAfuty

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
This that anime that starts like some kind of harem anime.. then gets.. uh.. really violent?

Been years since I've seen it if that's he one. With the Green haired girls right?

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think I will request mod to change the title into general Higurashi Gou/Sotsu thread title. It is basically an OT anyway lol.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So ahven't watched the anime yet, I'm waiting for it to be finished, but did they truly linked it with Umineko?
Do you think that we're gonna get an Umineko anime too?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So ahven't watched the anime yet, I'm waiting for it to be finished, but did they truly linked it with Umineko?
A character from Umineko has appeared but she is unnamed. It seems like this is going to end with the origin stories of Bernkastel and Lambdadelta but that's just speculation

I sure hope for a decent Umineko adaption

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There is one character that might or might not be directly from Umineko as said character is acting weird. As for Umineko we technically

don't actually know the truth of the events aside that one snippet from Tea Party with Kyrie and Eva

so another fake remake might happen.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
There's really no way to sugarcoat it - Satoko is a piece of shit. Team Rika all day every day.

July is gonna be liiiiiit.
Satoko character basically doesn't' exist anymore now, she basically got absorbed by Lambadelta and became a completely different person and she can do anything she wants as long it alows her to fit into this other character.

I kinda want an Umineko anime to see if Passione can make a worse job than DEEN.

Oct 25, 2017
So how are we gonna handle spoiler tags for this OT? I personally don't see the point of using them since Gou finished, and it would be a lot easier for me to not use them, but I'll just go ahead and spoiler the below just incase.

Satoko character basically doesn't' exist anymore now, she basically got absorbed by Lambadelta and became a completely different person and she can do anything she wants as long it alows her to fit into this other character.

I kinda want an Umineko anime to see if Passione can make a worse job than DEEN.

I more or less agree that I can't really see her as Satoko anymore since she's practically Lamb in everything but name now. Eua is obviously some iteration of Featherine as well since she acts almost identically that it wouldn't really matter if she technically was a different entity.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't been watching but was Bern voiced by Rika and Lambda voiced by Satoko in the Umineko console ports and anime?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been watching but was Bern voiced by Rika and Lambda voiced by Satoko in the Umineko console ports and anime?
Bern and Rika shares Rika's VA, Lambda's voice actor is the same as child Takano (As you can see in this episode, they also pretty much look the same). She was pretty much conveived as a Takano reference in design/name more than anything.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bern is voiced by Rika, but Lambda is voiced by young Takano. That said, in interviews at the time Ryukishi outright talked about how the Takano resemblance was just there to mislead readers coming from Higurashi.

The big Satoko references with Lambda only happened by episode 8's time
(Bern remarking Lambda in the past had fallen for the pie riddle that Satoko fell for in Higurashi and also Lambda being into traps in the Whose Tea Party side-story). So, although it seems like he had the idea during Umineko itself it was still a very late concept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Since this will be Sotsu's OT too, I updated the OP into barebones OT-like post.
Shin Umineko or whatever might happen if Ryukishi wants to revisit that cast, but I think he might be done with them. He is still sitting on Ciconia Part 2.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
So how are we gonna handle spoiler tags for this OT? I personally don't see the point of using them since Gou finished, and it would be a lot easier for me to not use them, but I'll just go ahead and spoiler the below just incase.

I more or less agree that I can't really see her as Satoko anymore since she's practically Lamb in everything but name now. Eua is obviously some iteration of Featherine as well since she acts almost identically that it wouldn't really matter if she technically was a different entity.

I'm going to be selfish and ask please to keep spoiler tags up, as folk not using Funimation Premium like me are still a week behind.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Did the thread get renamed?

Haha but caught up with Episode 24 and looking forward the next season! Can't believe Higurashi Gou was able to pull out a 24-episode season not to mention follow-up/second season at that!

But yes, Satako
did nothing wrong

I'm also re-watching the original Higurashi series and man it makes me remember how much I enjoy this anime/story. The current sequel season of Gou 15/16ish years later makes me recall back when Rebellion movie was announced/released as a sequel to Madoka Magika.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up, my interest in this show had dropped so much I flat-out forgot to watch it last week, lol.

Episode 23:

- Good guy Teppei is a hell of a joke. Like he'd give a crap about nightmares. Even if he knew those things would come to pass, completely and utterly literally had precognition, he's the kind of ass who would walk right into it anyway, then curse and complain about it afterwards in hell.

- I don't know whether this is a positive or negative point, but: Satoko's reaction to Teppei's handshake implies, to me at least, that she was not faking her reactions in Tataridamashi as some people have claimed. I said at the time that it just felt like bad voice acting from her VA being out of practice for the role / bad directing from Passione, and not like anything in-universe was supposed to be implied; as mean as it sounds, I think this supports that.

- And the big one: so, uh, are we just gonna pretend that Satoko has magical snaps, now? Because up until this episode, those have been purely symbolic. As far as we understand things, both from what we're told and what we're shown, Satoko loops the same way Rika does: by dying. Meaning, in order to win that game of Concentration, Satoko jumped in front of a truck twenty times in a row, while always landing back in the same fragment somehow. That's just plain laughable. (Especially as we now know from Teppei that she doesn't hit the same fragment every time guaranteed, or even necessarily know which one she's headed for, despite what it kind of implied at first with her first several loops in a row all somehow being Matsuribayashi.)

Episode 24:

- The majority of this episode is a big nothingburger, until...

- More snaps in the H173 scene, huh... I guess it really is meant to be an actual superpower they just threw in there at some point without mentioning it. That's not a problem inherently -- I don't need everything to be laid out in exposition, I often prefer when it isn't. But the problem comes from the way they did use blatant, explicit exposition to tell us about her powers (different powers) a scant few episodes ago. Why? Why did they do that, and why is it like this now? From our perspective, nothing has changed; or rather, something has, but for no reason, as if it wants to pretend it was like that all along. It's an effect without a cause. What the heck was the point of all those bloody suicides and all that rule-like dialogue if we're just going to ignore them and throw them out when they stop being convenient for the plot? Because that's what it ends up looking like: like they don't care about their own plot, and changed it for convenience on the assumption that no one else did either. When you make your show in such a way, it creates the impression that there's no point thinking about anything. This is When They Cry! You really shouldn't be creating that impression in your viewers!

And like, real talk, while I'm complaining... It wasn't even necessary. You already showed us a perfectly valid way for Satoko to achieve all this stuff without suicides, if you want to avoid that: you had her read a hundred years of fragments. Not live through: read. She saw things she wasn't physically present for. Since you're also throwing in scenes of her chatting with Not-Featherine seemingly mid-loop (apparently she can do that without dying, too, but okay, it's whatever, I guess we're just gonna do Seacats meta scenes now), why not just have a scene of her going "hmm, I need to steal H173, let me take a quick peek at a world where Takano types that password"? She doesn't need a new superpower. And frankly, the constant snapping went from decently-evocative imagery to overplayed tryhard edge weeks ago, so it's not even a cool superpower. It's just bleh.

Sotsu news:

I guess it's better than trying to rush an ending... Or at least, it has the potential to be. It also has the potential to be much, much worse by sheer quantity of suckage, so we'll just have to see. Even I, in my great dislike of Gou, am still going to watch it, after all... I'm too deep down this blasted rabbit hole, darn it.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, she's absolutely suiciding after every snap. As for the "how come Matsuribayashi happens every time" problem, the show doesn't bother explaining it (which it should) but I'm assuming that's because Satoko's deal with Featherine was that she wanted to go back in time and say no to Rika. It wouldn't work if Matsuribayashi wasn't guaranteed and she had to die a billion times before reaching the same point again. So presumably she's always sent to variations of the miracle fragment.

But she 100% is killing herself with every snap.

I don't know whether this is a positive or negative point, but: Satoko's reaction to Teppei's handshake implies, to me at least, that she was not faking her reactions in Tataridamashi as some people have claimed. I said at the time that it just felt like bad voice acting from her VA being out of practice for the role / bad directing from Passione, and not like anything in-universe was supposed to be implied; as mean as it sounds, I think this supports that.

I'm sure she's faking her breakdown in Tataridamashi tbh. As I mentioned back when it aired I'm personally not very fond of that concept, but ever since the final episode of Tataridamashi it was clear that Satoko had been playing them the whole time. Of course she hasn't magically overcome her trauma from past abuse, which is what the handshake illustrates, but I would be very surprised if any abuse actually took part in Tataridamashi. At the time I thought she just killed / otherwise got rid off the uncle very early in the arc, but it's clear now that's not the case.

I personally don't think it's strange for anyone, including Teppei, to start doubting their life choices after getting more and more memories from their past life where they meet terrible and miserable fates. It's not like he became a good guy. He just started realizing that living his life without any human relationship is not going to end well for him.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Tataridamashi,

there was an interview with Ryukishi where he said the performance wasn't as intense as the original, but it was actually intentional.

H: Someone stated she was fishy ever since that vomit scene. Is that true? Was something slightly different?

R: Let's see. How to explain that. Her seiyuu, Kanai Mika, made a spectacular performance. Remember the original series when Satoko threw up? It really felt like it came from her gut right? "But this time, it sounds a bit like she is faking it?" Some people said those kind of things.

R: Also, when Satoko came back (to school after Teppei came back to Hinamizawa), she took a piece of daikon from Rena's bento. There were some theories where Satoko came back on purpose to pick that daikon piece and make it so she actually threw up.

H: That's interesting.

R: It isn't just Kanai, but all the seiyuu are quite the veterans. When you tell them the hidden details, they can deliver tons of nuance. That being said, since the original series was 10 years ago, some people might think the seiyuu are just tired and thus might have misunderstood how they had to perform. But there was no misunderstanding to begin with. In fact, their acting was spot on.

H: And then we had that scene with Keiichi trying to pat her head but she immediately deflected his hand.

R: Oh yeah, that. The first time you watch that scene, you might wonder "a little bit" about Satoko's attitude there.

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Higurashi Gou SP Live Talk

On February 22, 2021, Ryukishi07 hosted a livestream on NicoNico where he answered several questions about Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU. This page contains a partial transcript of conversations between Ryukishi and the host, translated by Klashikari with notes marked in italics. Other notable...

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, she's absolutely suiciding after every snap. As for the "how come Matsuribayashi happens every time" problem, the show doesn't bother explaining it (which it should) but I'm assuming that's because Satoko's deal with Featherine was that she wanted to go back in time and say no to Rika. It wouldn't work if Matsuribayashi wasn't guaranteed and she had to die a billion times before reaching the same point again. So presumably she's always sent to variations of the miracle fragment.

But she 100% is killing herself with every snap.
I kind of want to believe she is saying hello to truck-kun every time, because it's morbidly amusing, but... Surely, surely the show isn't that ridiculously silly, right? Maybe I'm still, somehow, despite all of my criticisms, giving the show too much credit. Lol.
Regarding Tataridamashi,
there was an interview with Ryukishi where he said the performance wasn't as intense as the original, but it was actually intentional.

H: Someone stated she was fishy ever since that vomit scene. Is that true? Was something slightly different?

R: Let's see. How to explain that. Her seiyuu, Kanai Mika, made a spectacular performance. Remember the original series when Satoko threw up? It really felt like it came from her gut right? "But this time, it sounds a bit like she is faking it?" Some people said those kind of things.

R: Also, when Satoko came back (to school after Teppei came back to Hinamizawa), she took a piece of daikon from Rena's bento. There were some theories where Satoko came back on purpose to pick that daikon piece and make it so she actually threw up.

H: That's interesting.

R: It isn't just Kanai, but all the seiyuu are quite the veterans. When you tell them the hidden details, they can deliver tons of nuance. That being said, since the original series was 10 years ago, some people might think the seiyuu are just tired and thus might have misunderstood how they had to perform. But there was no misunderstanding to begin with. In fact, their acting was spot on.

H: And then we had that scene with Keiichi trying to pat her head but she immediately deflected his hand.

R: Oh yeah, that. The first time you watch that scene, you might wonder "a little bit" about Satoko's attitude there.

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Higurashi Gou SP Live Talk

On February 22, 2021, Ryukishi07 hosted a livestream on NicoNico where he answered several questions about Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU. This page contains a partial transcript of conversations between Ryukishi and the host, translated by Klashikari with notes marked in italics. Other notable...
That's certainly good to know. Though, as a rule, I don't ever put much stock in things like interviews -- if it's not in the actual work, it more or less "doesn't count" in my brain, no matter how true or relevant it is. I also don't count things like the console arcs; heck, I even tend to halfway-ignore Saikoroshi, and that's just blatantly incorrect of me to do and I know it. (Ignore might be the wrong word there, because I do acknowledge it exists, but I mean that I see it as separate and thus "unrelated". Basically, I don't care about it when discussing Higurashi proper.)

So "best"-case scenario, taking that interview into account could only move my view as far as going from "nothing was foreshadowed, nor was anything meant to be" to "nothing was properly foreshadowed, whether something was meant to be or not". I recognize that I'm being harsh to the show and its creators in saying that, though... Not to mention that factually, plenty of people clearly did get from the scene what they were supposedly supposed to, so yeah. It just didn't land for me, from a perspective based purely in the work itself.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So "best"-case scenario, taking that interview into account could only move my view as far as going from "nothing was foreshadowed, nor was anything meant to be" to "nothing was properly foreshadowed, whether something was meant to be or not". I recognize that I'm being harsh to the show and its creators in saying that, though... Not to mention that factually, plenty of people clearly did get from the scene what they were supposedly supposed to, so yeah. It just didn't land for me, from a perspective based purely in the work itself.
Aside from the performance itself
(which, truthfully, I didn't notice either until watching a comparison video, although the Deen version just felt exaggerated in hindsight, with Keiichi constantly trying to pat Satoko even after it was obvious she was reacting badly to it), I think the big detail in that scene was Satoko not even letting Keiichi touch her, and yet seemingly still triggering the same reaction she had in other worlds when he patted her head.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
She's totally killing herself every time lol The series pretty much made a mockery of every element of the original story, even looping became a fun gamey mechanic.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well, Eua did state that Matsuribayashi always happens because Rika overturned fate and now the events of MB are fated to happen .

Regarding the snap: Remember, Rika has to die BEFORE Satoko does in each loop in order for the former to keep her memories, meaning Satoko can't just kiss the nearest speeding vehicle's dashboard every time she wants a do-over. It also doesn't make sense for Satoko to have instant reset powers given the nature of fragments (each new loop is a new fragment and you can't just timehop within a single fragment).

It seems likely to me that the snap is just a clumsy visual indicator for "Satoko eventually figured this out after enough looping".

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we using spoilers?

Well, Eua did state that Matsuribayashi always happens because Rika overturned fate and now the events of MB are fated to happen .

Regarding the snap: Remember, Rika has to die BEFORE Satoko does in each loop in order for the former to keep her memories, meaning Satoko can't just kiss the nearest speeding vehicle's dashboard every time she wants a do-over. It also doesn't make sense for Satoko to have instant reset powers given the nature of fragments (each new loop is a new fragment and you can't just timehop within a single fragment).

It seems likely to me that the snap is just a clumsy visual indicator for "Satoko eventually figured this out after enough looping".
Current Rika is not looping, Rika only starts to loop from the first Danmashi, if she doesn't die the fragment just keeps going without Satoko who is transported into another fragment alone. Given looping has always been associating with dying and she will have to die in the future to perform looping, and given the finger snapping has always been associating with death, I don't see any reason to assume that is not the case here.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Current Rika is not looping, Rika only starts to loop from the first Danmashi, if she doesn't die the fragment just keeps going without Satoko who is transported into another fragment alone. Given looping has always been associating with dying and she will have to die in the future to perform looping, and given the finger snapping has always been associating with death, I don't see any reason to assume that is not the case here.

I can't remember precisely which episode it was (probably the one after Satoko gets her power) but Eua changed things so that Rika's memories of the previous loop persist into the next one providing Satoko doesn't die before she does. Rika is effectively looping, it's just that she/Hanyuu aren't the ones in control of it any more, and if Satoko ever bites it first she'll effectively go back to square one (since she's using Rika's loop memories to torture her into breaking down).

If Satoko wants to end a loop early, she basically HAS to kill Rika or her whole scheme falls apart.

We're using tags at the request of people who haven't seen the latest episode (due to not having a premium Funi sub).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember precisely which episode it was (probably the one after Satoko gets her power) but Eua changed things so that Rika's memories of the previous loop persist into the next one providing Satoko doesn't die before she does. Rika is effectively looping, it's just that she/Hanyuu aren't the ones in control of it any more, and if Satoko ever bites it first she'll effectively go back to square one (since she's using Rika's loop memories to torture her into breaking down).

If Satoko wants to end a loop early, she basically HAS to kill Rika or her whole scheme falls apart.
She doesn't seem to be looping alongside Rika yet though. So far the impression I got from the last two episodes is that she's just preparing everything before actually bringing high school Rika to her loops. The one who is appearing right now is just a Matsuri Rika getting rebooted over and over. It's only when you go back and watch the early Damashi arcs that she actually has to follow that rule, since she wants to keep that Rika looping alongside her, but we haven't gotten back to that point yet.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
She doesn't seem to be looping alongside Rika yet though. So far the impression I got from the last two episodes is that she's just preparing everything before actually bringing high school Rika to her loops. The one who is appearing right now is just a Matsuri Rika getting rebooted over and over. It's only when you go back and watch the early Damashi arcs that she actually has to follow that rule, since she wants to keep that Rika looping alongside her, but we haven't gotten back to that point yet.
Pretty much yeah. Also we saw in the previous episode she killed herself a bunch of times to "trigger" Teppei's memories.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Ah, okay.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Cos the latest episode isn't available for everyone yet

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I forget, did the earlier episodes actually show how the Onigari-no-ryuuou broke?
Nah. Hanyuu tells Rika that it's inside the statue,but when she gets there it's just empty, but she finds the shard inside (it was also empty when the statue was accidentaly opened in Watadamashi). We haven't seen the sword itself in the present yet.

Oct 25, 2017
They just dropped an extended trailer for Sotsu with some extra scenes at the stage event yesterday. All the footage looks like it's coming from the Onidamashi's answer arc.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Oh right, had forgotten about the implications about onidamashi.
With new Teppei there's no badger game so we don't actually know what Rena was talking about.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting how there's apparently even a bunch of Keiichi centered scenes. I've been actually considering they've been hiding some big Keiichi moments in Watadamashi, after rewatching it and reading the manga version, but I'm not sure what could be happening in Onidamashi.
I think it's possible Keiichi killed Rika in Watadamashi and Mion was just covering for him. He is the last one shown to return to class in the next episode, when Rika had disappeared, and when approaching the septic tank, glanced to the sides before advancing and then seemed surprised the door was closed. He also seemed overly aggressive when Satoko was questioning him about it.

In the manga version of Watadamashi, he's outright going all Onikakushi-like, seeing multiple people with Hinamizawa syndrome eyes like Oishi, not only Mion, being so paranoid that when Mion calls him to Watanagashi the first thing he thinks about is killing people in the ancient ritual, and also HS eyes in some scenes, including right after Rika gives her "your life is over" speech.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the are going to re-do all the Danmashi arcs, not even the original re-did the arcs 1:1 (Except Maekashi, but it ended up mostly original stuff) and the mystery had far more going on.