• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't see it weird given how Gou handled so many stuff. I mean, Satoshi is super important to Satoko and extremely connected to the Syndrome and yet it's like he stopped existing in post Matsuri timeline, so I don't think a lack of any real Saikoroshi (Except the first ending, the scene with the bicycles) mention is odd with the kind of narrative Gou has created.
Satoshi was still acknowledged in Gou though, even if he has been heavily downplayed. It's different from Saikoroshi not getting acknowledged by the script at all.

Of course, the scene in Kai is still when she's trapped in the loop so it would make sense she'd disappear. But there are more scenes once the loop is break.

She saves Takano as a kid after the story ends so I'd say she definitely her own person with her own body that exists separately form Rika. If we want to assume Saikoroshi as non canon (I disagree) it definitely shows R07's original intention. Both the anime and even the novel described the girl who saved Takano as a tall adult woman which Rika is not but Bernkastel is (Pre PS3 art retcon of course). Of course you also have this:

The epilogue itself doesn't need to be erased, it could just happen in the "future" from now.

I definitely don't feel like she's talking about anything but Rika's past experience at this point.
That's kind of what I'm saying though. I think Rika is getting called cat because there's no separate Bernkastel character yet at this point.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Satoshi was still acknowledged in Gou though, even if he has been heavily downplayed. It's different from Saikoroshi not getting acknowledged by the script at all.

He does in the last Neko arc yes, but it's never mentioned in Matsuri's timeline. Same with Shion (Who only gets a minucole shout-out) despite her being heavily connected to Satoko and Satoshi. Those are key players in Satoko's character (Her brother was the center of her universe for the longest time and I'd argue way more important to her character than Rika) but they play no part in her characterization whatsoever, so I don't find odd at all Rika wouldn't mention what was meant to be an extremely personal and short epilogue to the story. R07 seem to purposely ignore a bunch of things and even forget some others (Suddenly the statue has two hands in the Matsuri's timeline too!)

I mean look at the club, one moment they are with Hanyuu and the other scene is like she never existed (A thing which... fits Saikoroshi I'd argue, ahah). I can't say I feel like R07 is super into this continuity.

The epilogue itself doesn't need to be erased, it could just happen in the "future" from now.

That's kind of what I'm saying though. I think Rika is getting called cat because there's no separate Bernkastel character yet at this point.
How do you reconcile it with Lambda mentioning Takano being the one who "made" Bernkastel? She certainly won at the end of Higurashi, created a miracle and broke fate.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He does in the last Neko arc yes, but it's never mentioned in Matsuri's timeline. Same with Shion (Who only gets a minucole shout-out) despite her being heavily connected to Satoko. Those are key players in Satoko's character (Her brother was the center of her universe for the longest time and I'd argue way more important to her character than Rika) but they play no part in her characterization whatsoever, so I don't find odd at all RIka wouldn't go mention what was meant to be an extremely personal and short epilogue to the story. R07 seem to purposely ignore a bunch of things and even forget some others (Suddenly the statue has two hands in the Matsuri's timeline too!)
Well, I guess we can't really agree, but I think sidelining some details in specific arcs is different from never mentioning anything about the series' original epilogue arc.

How do you reconcile it with Lambda mentioning Takano being the one who "made" Bernkastel? She certainly won at the end of Higurashi, created a miracle and broke fate.
Because her whole core adult personality was born out of that, even if she isn't going around as a world hopping witch yet.

Although Gou itself has questioned her earlier victory, since it had that scene where Rika questioned what was even the point of surviving through 1983, even with a new power now, since it turned out she could just be thrown back again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly a casual Higurashi fan. Just watched the various anime series and this has been my stance here. I don't feel bad for Satoko through all of this.
Like Shion in Meakashi, I can sympathize with the position she was put in, but other than that none of the stuff she pulls afterwards is justified. Even more so here when she could have talked it out to Rika more to come to a better understanding.

Then again, that's usually the main theme of Higurashi that the lack of communication kills relationships.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Like Shion in Meakashi, I can sympathize with the position she was put in, but other than that none of the stuff she pulls afterwards is justified. Even more so here when she could have talked it out to Rika more to come to a better understanding.

Then again, that's usually the main theme of Higurashi that the lack of communication kills relationships.
Shion is my favorite of the Higus and I hate Satoko in Gou.

Shion's first murder is basically a mistake, after that she goes "well, since I'm fucked may as well figure what's up" and then slowly descends into that sweet L5 madness where years of abuse, pent up stress and her sister "stealing" her life bite her and everyone back in the the ass... until she gets that pre-death clarity and swears to not repeat the same mistake again.

Satoko fucked up up, OK, she gets a second shot at it and she still repeats the same mistake and fails to improve and her solution is to murder Rika in cold blood (and traumatize the St.Lucia girls and stealing all her friends' good endings) so she can torture Rika into loving Hinamizawa 1984 style.

Sure, Rika was insensitive to her friend's special needs and a bit of a dick at times need but nothing will ever justify this level of retaliation and Satoko is like super toxic.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Satoko realizes she's actually leaving worlds behind rather than just rewinding time. It could be what stops her at the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching 18-21 today, and I was completely lost in tracking of the lore of Higurashi. Only I know some were the curse and the reminiscence of St. Lucia from Umineko in different parallel, but everything else? Not so much.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've watched Umineko the anime and did read up about the lore about Higurashi/Umineko and that one other series.

Love how there's references to them, super hyped lol.

I bought the Umineko Question and Answer arcs on Steam and got the fighting game too - gonna play those soon.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I just think Featherine rewound time, I don't think it's even narratively satisfying to get a "new" Rika, she's the true protagonist and we have followed her in her 100 years old journey. If she can create a Matsuri-2 (despite it being a special world, there is even Hanyuu there again) with a new Rika (Despite Rika being a special existence) I think it more likely she just rewound time or placed Satoko ealier in the timeline. Satoko didn't even die the first time, she just got blasted with fragments.

I assume after this they actually start to die hence they actually start to traveler through the fragments and every world becomes different.
This is where I'm at, too, now. Rewinding time is an explanation that at least works, and isn't too nonsense to accept given what we know (since Hanyuu being able to stop time is pre-established). However, if that's what they wanted to have happen, it should have been depicted with even the tiniest shred of visual cue indicating it. As it was, it looked no different from the countless times we've seen fragment-hopping and looked nothing like the few instances we've seen time powers, making this conclusion effectively nothing more than fanfiction that I the viewer have to paste onto the story because it couldn't get there itself.

So it still sucks, but I guess we can put it in the ever-growing "sucky visual direction" pile rather than calling it a "plot hole" or other such words that I really dislike using.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
People are already speculating that If Ciconia is important and if that spinal cord callback by Featherine alludes to certain scene in it...

...then Ciconia is prequel and WTC franchise might be one massive simulation of humanity locked in those brain/spine jars after World War 4 destroyed everything and made Earth not safe for normal existence. The "meat factory" scene kinda makes sense now...Witches are more or less bored administrators with god priviliges to toy with other subjects.

Magic is not real indeed.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'll be honest i really don't like how ryukishi is trying here to do the MGS4 route and explain everything... the anime was pretty meh but this one thing make it even more dumb to me

I just hope ciconia story will still be contained and it won't adress this for the main plot, aside some minor lines of dialogue that hints at it at most...

PHASE 2 please come out (hopefully 2022 at the latest)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People are already speculating that If Ciconia is important and if that spinal cord callback by Featherine alludes to certain scene in it...

...then Ciconia is prequel and WTC franchise might be one massive simulation of humanity locked in those brain/spine jars after World War 4 destroyed everything and made Earth not safe for normal existence. The "meat factory" scene kinda makes sense now...Witches are more or less bored administrators with god priviliges to toy with other subjects.

Magic is not real indeed.

The original wording of Not!Featherine's line about "the ones who hold dominion over us" makes it very clear Not!Featherine was actually breaking the fourth wall and referencing the writers.

我らを記しし者はつくづくに無情であるなぁ

She's a meta character, not a system administrator or something. So, I doubt the scene was hitting at the entire WTC universe existing within Ciconia.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The original wording of Not!Featherine's line about "the ones who hold dominion over us" makes it very clear Not!Featherine was actually breaking the fourth wall and referencing the writers.

我らを記しし者はつくづくに無情であるなぁ

She's a meta character, not a system administrator or something. So, I doubt the scene was hitting at the entire WTC universe existing within Ciconia.
Could be the Three Kings or whatever but man, I hope so because I would take meta witches over brain jars any day. Ciconia was all over the place lol.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Could be the Three Kings or whatever but man, I hope so because I would take meta witches over brain jars any day. Ciconia was all over the place lol.
Why would they be referenced as "the ones who write us" though? ( 我らを記しし者)? I just did a quick search on google and couldn't find any reference to that term in regards to Ciconia before this episode.

Feb 8, 2020
I kinda wish they'd shown more of Rika and Satoko and their friendship failing. Rika was always one of my favorites, but she felt kind of out of character to me in all of that. I mainly just mean at the school, though. I think asking Satoko to go with her and promising it'll be ok makes sense considering how much Rika wants it after everything. I know she did ask Satoko if she needed help at school, but that was publicly in front of a bunch of other students, which I feel of course Satoko would deny things there. I think if there was more time for things, or if this was just a VN to begin with, it'd be easier to at least show Rika reaching out to Satoko or worrying about her, instead of just having Rika's friend say "she worries about you."

I can't say I understand Satoko yet. I don't know how we end up with the Satoko with the gun at the moment, but I think everything we've seen of her in the last few episodes has made sense. Based on what she's been through in her life, her clinging to Rika and everything makes sense. It's obviously not healthy, but I think it makes sense for the character. The only way I could see her being ok with killing Rika is if she genuinely thought it wasn't going to matter, which seems to make sense here since she genuinely seemed to time travel (I'm assuming) instead of going to another fragment. I don't feel great about it, though, and I feel like they'd need to do a lot of work in just three episodes if they want Satoko's actions to make sense. Maybe I'm looking too much into things, though.

I do have a question that I'd probably know the answer to if I'd watched/read Higurashi more recently, but why does Rika not remember that Satoko killed her? I was under the impression that the reason Rika never knew that Takano killed her was because she'd been drugged beforehand or Takano hadn't actually done it herself. Rika was fully aware here. Is it just a normal thing, and Rika remembered Takano that one time because she was committed to remembering whereas at St. Lucia's, the death was sudden and she didn't have a chance to realize what was going on?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I do have a question that I'd probably know the answer to if I'd watched/read Higurashi more recently, but why does Rika not remember that Satoko killed her? I was under the impression that the reason Rika never knew that Takano killed her was because she'd been drugged beforehand or Takano hadn't actually done it herself. Rika was fully aware here. Is it just a normal thing, and Rika remembered Takano that one time because she was committed to remembering whereas at St. Lucia's, the death was sudden and she didn't have a chance to realize what was going on?

Rika never could fully remember the part of the loops close to her deaths. It's why Gou introduced that plot point in Nekodamashi about fragment Hanyuu giving Rika her powers. Only starting from that arc she actually retained awareness of her death.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I finally watched the episode and I have some questions, specifically how much does Rika's friends know about Rika's power? They helped her defeat Takano because she was their friend but did she ever confide in them about the 100 years plus of torture she was subject to?

Like does Satoko KNOW about the fact Rika had to loop and die over and over trapped in the same cycle? I feel like if she did she would understand why Rika would want to leave so much. Though it doesn't excuse the way Rika treats her at St Lucia, ESPECIALLY after Satoko confided in her about her doubts and worries and Rika dragged her along anyway

They even touched on it this episode with Rika saying that she had to wait a long long time to get to a world that would make this possible, I figured Satoko would catch the use of the word World like Featherine used but I suppose at that point Satoko only really knew she had been transported back through time and the loops hadn't begun yet so she wouldn't have really understood it.

Also am I right in thinking that Rika no longer has a looping power, only the ability to remember the loops courtesy of Hanyuu?

Regardless I'm really enjoying the current story even though it's super tragic and makes me feel sad after they all worked so hard to get the miracle ending.

I can't really see any other way for this to end other than Rika and Satoko becoming witches, can Satoko really be brought back from this after all she has done in Gou to torture Rika specifically?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I finally watched the episode and I have some questions, specifically how much does Rika's friends know about Rika's power? They helped her defeat Takano because she was their friend but did she ever confide in them about the 100 years plus of torture she was subject to?

Like does Satoko KNOW about the fact Rika had to loop and die over and over trapped in the same cycle? I feel like if she did she would understand why Rika would want to leave so much. Though it doesn't excuse the way Rika treats her at St Lucia, ESPECIALLY after Satoko confided in her about her doubts and worries and Rika dragged her along anyway

They even touched on it this episode with Rika saying that she had to wait a long long time to get to a world that would make this possible, I figured Satoko would catch the use of the word World like Featherine used but I suppose at that point Satoko only really knew she had been transported back through time and the loops hadn't begun yet so she wouldn't have really understood it.

Also am I right in thinking that Rika no longer has a looping power, only the ability to remember the loops courtesy of Hanyuu?

Regardless I'm really enjoying the current story even though it's super tragic and makes me feel sad after they all worked so hard to get the miracle ending.

I can't really see any other way for this to end other than Rika and Satoko becoming witches, can Satoko really be brought back from this after all she has done in Gou to torture Rika specifically?
They may have had a hunch something was up with Rika and Hanyuu in Matsuri fragment but no, they don't know the actual truth.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So images of the next episode have been released

And it shows a grow up Satoko before entering St. Lucia talking with "Featherine" implying that she didn't go full murderer after looping which is kinda worrisome since i can't see this not felling rushed with only 3 episodes left

Oct 25, 2017
So images of the next episode have been released

And it shows a grow up Satoko before entering St. Lucia talking with "Featherine" implying that she didn't go full murderer after looping which is kinda worrisome since i can't see this not felling rushed with only 3 episodes left
I'm still thinking they're either gonna announce another cour or a sequel series considering who just got revealed a couple of episodes ago. I doubt Rika will be able to deal with her once Rika finds out how Satoko is going back in one or two episodes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
After this episode, I'm just hoping we get new Lambdadelta and Bernkastel designs by the end. I loved what they did with Featherine's.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The Lambda and Satoko's parallels are pretty blatant, but I still don't want Gou to be their origin story because it's literally the worst thing R07 has written and one of the worst things ever written. It's something I hope ends with a reset ending or some shit so I can pretend it doesn't exist. Higurashi is forever tarnished after this, but at least I hope he mitigates the damage.

Also both witches coming out of Higurashi is lame. A whole multi-universe and they come out of the two Japanese girls from the same village lol.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the feeling that the end is going to be some kind of difference splitting where

Rika decides to beat Satoko in a game of endurance (which is the exact phrase Bern used to describe beating Lambda) by simply not playing when she realizes that she can't win, and letting the loops play out. That's the "1000 years." Satoko seemingly gets what she wants (her wish Certainly comes true) but she soon realizes that it's a hell of being stuck in June 1983 forever with a Rika who doesn't love her after what she's done.

Satoko finally snaps (well, more) and uses the sword on herself, and a completely exhausted Rika has one brief moment to gloat about her "miraculous win" before she follows suit.

We cut to post-Matsuribayashi Satoko back near or in the storehouse, as if nothing happened. Rika walks up and says she was worried that Satoko took so long and she could tell she was upset when she left; being with everyone at Angel Mort but Satoko missing made her realize how much she'd been ignoring her and failing to seriously reach out. The two reconcile and they find some solution about the school situation, and it becomes clear that neither of the two remember anything that happened, and Matsuribayashi remains a miracle fragment.

Gou Satoko and Gou Rika wake up together in the sea of fragments, revealing that everything in Satoko's loops took place in what was essentially a self-contained game board created by "Oyashiro" (hence all the weird mirror imagery people were noticing and why Satoko didn't die to start out). Both of them, through their choices in Gou, discarded their own humanity and thus no longer qualify to live as humans in a happy world.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Getting the feeling that the end is going to be some kind of difference splitting where

Rika decides to beat Satoko in a game of endurance (which is the exact phrase Bern used to describe beating Lambda) by simply not playing when she realizes that she can't win, and letting the loops play out. That's the "1000 years." Satoko seemingly gets what she wants (her wish Certainly comes true) but she soon realizes that it's a hell of being stuck in June 1983 forever with a Rika who doesn't love her after what she's done.

Satoko finally snaps (well, more) and uses the sword on herself, and a completely exhausted Rika has one brief moment to gloat about her "miraculous win" before she follows suit.

We cut to post-Matsuribayashi Satoko back near or in the storehouse, as if nothing happened. Rika walks up and says she was worried that Satoko took so long and she could tell she was upset when she left; being with everyone at Angel Mort but Satoko missing made her realize how much she'd been ignoring her and failing to seriously reach out. The two reconcile and they find some solution about the school situation, and it becomes clear that neither of the two remember anything that happened, and Matsuribayashi remains a miracle fragment.

Gou Satoko and Gou Rika wake up together in the sea of fragments, revealing that everything in Satoko's loops took place in what was essentially a self-contained game board created by "Oyashiro" (hence all the weird mirror imagery people were noticing and why Satoko didn't die to start out). Both of them, through their choices in Gou, discarded their own humanity and thus no longer qualify to live as humans in a happy world.
I would love this ending tbh

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Study.gif

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to ep21 now but I feel so lost right now ._.
And I've watched all of the previous higurashi series, and played the umineko and higurashi games on steam (now admittedly that was a while ago).

What exactly is featherine's motivation here? I don't recognise the names she called satoko. The fact that there are ciconia connections at all is blowing my mind, cos I had no inkling of the sort after first playing it, and assumed they'd come later on as that series progressed.

And folk here are making all sorts of references to things and theories I've never seen before.
Takano was LD's piece? Bern was born from the higurashi game? Huh?
I feel like I've really missed out on something somewhere, cos the references to the witch stuff is so lax in higurashi.

Anyway, I always took it as Rika=Bern and Satoko=LD, but even that is much more specific to Umineko not higurashi, at least until now.
It complicates things cos umineko kinda left it up to you if the magic/witches stuff was real or not. With that coming into higurashi it makes it more complicated and explicit.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm up to ep21 now and I've watched all of the previous higurashi series, and played the umineko and higurashi games in steam (now admittedly that was a while ago), but I feel so lost right now ._.

What exactly is featherine's motivation?
Entertainment.

And people are making all sorts of references to things and theories I've never seen before.
Takano was LD's piece?

Yes

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Memoirs of the ΛΔ

Memoirs of the ΛΔ is an extra arc from Umineko When They Cry that was first published as a booklet on September 28, 2008. It was republished in Umineko no Naku Koro ni: The First and the Last Gift with a longer title, becoming Lady Lambdadelta's Memoirs: Memoirs of the ΛΔ (ラムダデルタ卿による回想記 Memoirs...

Bern was born from the higurashi game?
Also yes. Unless they retcon it, Frederika Bernkastel was a character in the original and she became a witch after defeating Takano ("Fate) and breaking the endless June.

I feel like I've missed out on something somewhere.

I always took it as Rika=Bern and Satoko=LD, but even that is much more specific to Umineko not higurashi, at least until now.
It complicates things cos umineko kinda left it up to you if the magic/witches stuff was real or not. With that coming into higurashi it makes it more complicated and explicit.
Umineko always played loose on whatever the meta world was real or not, regardless of whatever magic was real or not (Magic=/=The meta, hence why you had meta character denying magic). Keep in mind that both Lambdadelta and Bernkastel appear in other WTC stories, Lambdadelta appears in Hotarubi and even mentions Hinamizawa in there.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Entertainment.

Yes

07th-expansion.fandom.com

Memoirs of the ΛΔ

Memoirs of the ΛΔ is an extra arc from Umineko When They Cry that was first published as a booklet on September 28, 2008. It was republished in Umineko no Naku Koro ni: The First and the Last Gift with a longer title, becoming Lady Lambdadelta's Memoirs: Memoirs of the ΛΔ (ラムダデルタ卿による回想記 Memoirs...

Also yes. Unless they retcon it, Frederika Bernkastel was a character in the original and she became a witch after defeating Takano ("Fate) and breaking the endless June.

Umineko always played loose on whatever the meta world was real or not, regardless of whatever magic was real or not (Magic=/=The meta, hence why you had meta character denying meta). Keep in mind that both Lambdadelta and Bernkastel appear in other WTC stories, Lambdadelta appears in Hotarubi and even mentions Hinamizawa in there.
Thanks, lots I didn't know/appreciate before there.

I hope this all does come together sensibly in the end and not require an in depth knowledge of all WTC lore. There were 2 stories in your post I'd never even heard of before (memories of LD and hotorubi) which I don't think have been officially released in English.

I felt a little lost and so came to this thread, now I feel more lost due to all the theory crafting and minutiae of stuff I've not heard of even as a fan! XD

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The way Rika loops makes no particular sense btw. The Rika in the Danmashi arc remember going to to St. Lucia but the Rika of the last arc never got there and she only dies in some timelines.

So I dunno I assume they are looping in Matsuri and Featherine is rebooting time or something because otherwise it make no sense.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I assume it's Chandelier Rika who is going to be brought into Satoko's loops in Gou. They specifically show a flashback to that while Satoko makes her plan. Rika's flashback to the St.Lucia years in Nekodamashi also was closer to chandelier Rika (she starts talking with Satoko while holding the book, while Matsuri Rika first gives the book to Satoko before starting to talk).

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I assume it's Chandelier Rika who is going to be brought into Satoko's loops in Gou. They specifically show a flashback to that while Satoko makes her plan. Rika's flashback to the St.Lucia years in Nekodamashi also was closer to chandelier Rika (she starts talking with Satoko while holding the book, while Matsuri Rika first gives the book to Satoko before starting to talk).
Didn't Chanderlier Rika die super early in St. Lucia?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Chanderlier Rika die super early in St. Lucia?
There was no date for that. People assume it was 1987 because that was when satoko did the first St.Lucia prank, but nothing in the episode itself indicated when it happened.

Also the bit about Rika wanting both Satoko and St.Lucia rather than choosing one seems to be a very negative view of one of the lines from Matsuribayashi's ending (We're going to keep getting happier and happier! We won't compromise on anything from now on!)

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
There was no date for that. People assume it was 1987 because that was when satoko did the first St.Lucia prank, but nothing in the episode itself indicated when it happened.

Also the bit about Rika wanting both Satoko and St.Lucia rather than choosing one seems to be a very negative view of one of the lines from Matsuribayashi's ending (We're going to keep getting happier and happier! We won't compromise on anything from now on!)
Yeah but she was super livid and murderous after Rika broke her promise, so I doubt she'd wait years again lol. Even the scene with the window is a call back to the St. Lucia's first episode, which happens pretty early in the timeline (Still first year).

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bet all those Satoko defenders from last week have gone real quiet now.

I'm only finishing this because sunken cost so I hope there isn't another cour.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
So last week's issues, "addressed":
- Satoko r dum: yeah, no, it's just that. She can ride a tricycle, so it's perfectly reasonable that she can't learn tenth grade math with over a decade of study.
- Rika's memories makes no sense / the timeline of Satoko's loops makes no sense: "a witch did it, memory hax lol"
- Satoko should have had loads of loops to become twisted: uh, bit late there, show. There's no point to it when she's already an insane murderer beforehand and reading a hundred years of fragments doesn't change her one bit.

For the nitpick of the week, I'mma go with the lumpy-as-heck translation. That's not new -- it's been a bizarre combination of liberal and stubborn all along, but I haven't criticized it much so far because a) it hasn't been too bad, and b) I do appreciate the effort I can sense behind it, even if I think it's misguided.
...But the final scene of this episode was just baffling. Surely whoever's working on this has to be familiar enough with When They Cry to pick up the most blatant shoutouts to Certainty™ in history, so why write around it in three different ways? You're already leaning hard in the direction of allowing awkward sentences for the sake of capital-T Terminology whether it works or not (see "live in loops" weirdness), so it really wouldn't be a stretch to be equally stubbornly consistent with the pile of zettais being thrown around lately.
It's hard to make this nitpick in an earnest way, because I do think the dialogue would be worse if they went all-in on Proper Noun phrasing. I guess I'm more complaining in the direction of the hypocrisy of doing it for some terms but not others... Mostly motivated by how abominably lumpy I find the phrase "live in loops". If there was ever a phrase that you should be writing around for the sake of good dialogue flow, it is five hundred percent that.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
It's truly incredible what little effort it took to make Satoko a bigger demon than nearly any other human character in WTC, watching your own "friend's" suffering for the span of a hundred years just to have the edge on them in new timelines is some supervillain shit that Takano got nowhere near

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
It's truly incredible what little effort it took to make Satoko a bigger demon than nearly any other human character in WTC, watching your own "friend's" suffering for the span of a hundred years just to have the edge on them in new timelines is some supervillain shit that Takano got nowhere near

"I want to watch her suffer for one hundred years."
"Now I'll make her suffer even more!"

You can't make this shit up.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
R07 did say someone wanted to crush Rikas soul, and i know prior it basically looked like Satoko is the antagonist. But i didn't think wed literally get that and from her own mouth.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the theory that everything will get to the begining again and the whole thing including the original is one big loop. Satoko is batshit insane now. Can't deny that the whole thing should have been longer to justify everything. Satoko is a different person after seeing all of Rikas fragments now though. She literally brainwashed herself which you can also notice by her reaction to Keiichi and then using him or letting him get killed in the fragments she will visit afterwards.

Also they've shown why Satoshi is almost not mentioned the whole time. He wasn't even there anymore. As soon as Satoko said goodbye he was gone from the field (he disappeared).

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
She makes fucking
Kinzo
look good lol.
I guess it's R07s goal with each new entry that the big bad be even a lot more horrible than the previous. Ciconia's is gonna be a doozy!

Takano->Kinzo>Satoko-> ?????

I imagine having experienced that alone, she probably lost any semblance of sanity after that.

On diff note, I like how they had notFeatherine just absolutely enjoying all of Satokos loops. The snarky look on her face while lying down on her sofa while making the hamlet anecdote.

Last edited: