• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They spent too much time going through the arcs that were nearly identical to the original series, and now the new arc that needs more time to breath is the one they rush 😔

Anyway, I started wondering today: Why didn't Hanyuu just tell Rika that Satoko also had looping powers? Or at the very least say "Hey, there's someone else like you that's manipulation shit. Be careful!" instead of being all vague.
Because that was just a fragment of Hanyuu. She couldn't even enter in the worlds. Also, the real Hanyuu, who probably is behind Satoko, didn't even want the fragment meeting Rika based on what she said while disappearing.

The opening makes it very clear that ''Hanyuu'' won't be friendly when she returns with her wound finally restored (note also how they were highlighting the scratch on fragment Hanyuu's horn in her final scene).

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy
Featherine confirmed, sky is the limit officially, this will end with Bernkastel and Lambdadelta appearing

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
okay i thought that the hilarious 80s fashion was going to be the highlight here but

wow it's actually just fucking her. i had genuinely toned down expectations that it'd just be like, a Hanyuu that was Featherine-like as a reference, not straight up her

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess this explains Hanyuu glitching. Still don't see how Satoko is going to become a time lord mass murder.

Comatoshi is still MIA.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Featherine is either going to:

a) remind Satoko that she's part Lambdadelta (since Lambda's existence in the Meta World predates Higurashi's "game"), or,

b) convince a horrified Satoko that killing over and over again is fine because they'll just keep resurrecting endlessly. Like, just show her all of the past Fragments of the story, how many countless times she and all of her friends have died already so her existence isn't special at all, explain the whole philosophy of, "you're just pieces on a game board, characters in a story, it doesn't matter if you take up the murderer role because nobody will ever die permanently in this game due to the rules I set up, a few minutes of murder every few weeks in an endless century of reliving this paradise is worth it"

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

a) remind Satoko that she's part Lambdadelta (since Lambda's existence in the Meta World predates Higurashi's "game"), or,

b) convince a horrified Satoko that killing over and over again is fine because they'll just keep resurrecting endlessly. Like, just show her all of the past Fragments of the story, how many countless times she and all of her friends have died already so her existence isn't special at all, explain the whole philosophy of, "you're just pieces on a game board, characters in a story, it doesn't matter if you take up the murderer role because nobody will ever die permanently in this game due to the rules I set up, a few minutes of murder every few weeks in an endless century of reliving this paradise is worth it"
I still don't see Satoko having any connection to Lambda unless R07 severally retcons her existence.

2 seems more likely but I really hope for a solid motive other "I was bored". Also it's hilarious the opening basically spoiled her months ago lol. Half of Gou felt like waiting for her to appear. At least maybe people will stop asking if Bernkastel and Rika are connected.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Satoko now got reminded what she lost in Hinamizawa when everyone moved on and how it changed Rika, will want the club days back. Featherine will promise Satoko possibility of perfect Hinamizawa, not explaining that she isn't exactly brining people from the dead but that she is jumping to different fragments leaving the old one in shambles. This will end in that god killing shard either being used by Satoko or Rika on the opposite side, while Featherine enjoys the shitshow.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see Satoko having any connection to Lambda unless R07 severally retcons her existence.
Lambda's personality was always much closer to Satoko's than Takano's with her childishness and obsessive love/rivalry with Bernkastel (whereas Takano never really cared about Rika except as a tool to enact her plan).

One of the Umineko short stories about a party between the three higher witches shows Lambda setting up a bunch of Satoko-like traps along a forest specifically to prank Bern.

During Episode 8's Halloween Party, Lambda tries to come up with a riddle for Ange, and she uses the trick question where you divide a cake/pie into a bunch of non-matching fractions and asks how much you'd have left after you finish eating in so-and-so amount of time (where the answer is "zero" because you ate it all, the math is misdirection). Bern abruptly shows up and answers it and mentions snidely that Lambda fell for that riddle herself in the past. Takano never got asked that riddle; Satoko fell for it when Keiichi asked her it all the way back in Onikakushi.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Lambda's personality was always much closer to Satoko's than Takano's with her childishness and obsessive love/rivalry with Bernkastel (whereas Takano never really cared about Rika except as a tool to enact her plan).

One of the Umineko short stories about a party between the three higher witches shows Lambda setting up a bunch of Satoko-like traps along a forest specifically to prank Bern.

During Episode 8's Halloween Party, Lambda tries to come up with a riddle for Ange, and she uses the trick question where you divide a cake/pie into a bunch of non-matching fractions and asks how much you'd have left after you finish eating in so-and-so amount of time (where the answer is "zero" because you ate it all, the math is misdirection). Bern abruptly shows up and answers it and mentions snidely that Lambda fell for that riddle herself in the past. Takano never got asked that riddle; Satoko fell for it when Keiichi asked her it all the way back in Onikakushi.
I honestly don't see their personalities that similar, Lambda likes to pretend to be a moron but she's an horrific monster that respects people with an iron will and it's actually incredibly smart (Ep. 5 was penned by her and it's far more tricky than any Beatrice's games). She loves Bern because she's a monster just like her and a fellow survivor of a hell.

Satoko talks like a oujo and it's just a kid who puts up a facade but she's perpetually hurting inside and has abandonment issues. She also loves Rika likes a sister because shes' basically her only living family.

I guess they have a similar laugh?

Meta wise Lambda was always stated to be extremely older than Bern and was actually thankful to Takano for creating her. Takano was never meant to be her, but her piece in the same way Erika was Bern's piece.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't see their personalities that similar, Lambda likes to pretend to be a moron but she's an horrific monster that respects people with an iron will and it's actually incredibly smart (Ep. 5 was penned by her and it's far more tricky than any Beatrice's games). She loves Bern because she's a monster just like her and a fellow survivor of a hell.

Satoko talks like a oujo and it's just a kid who puts up a facade but she's perpetually hurting inside and has abandonment issues. She also loves Rika likes a sister because shes' basically her only living family.

I guess they have a similar laugh?

Meta wise Lambda was always stated to be extremely older than Bern and was actually thankful to Takano for creating her. Takano was never meant to be her, but her piece in the same way Erika was Bern's piece.

You're comparing normal Satoko with an ancient witch. Looper Satoko already showed much greater control of the fragments than Rika ever did. She also seems to be able to go from mimicking her old personality to a cold blooded monster without issues.

We also don't know how Satoko's loops start yet, so she might actually be older than Rika by the time we get to their confrontation.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Rika did nothing wrong
I really don't know how R07 will make this so Satoko doesn't come out as irredeemable. Even if they bring witches into this Higurashi is at the core a character drive story about those people's friendship, so I'm not particularly interested in a story where Featherine tortures Rika because she was bored.

Also I find hilarious he legit recommended this to newcomes lol
Granted Featherine isn't as much as a big spoiler as Bern is in Umineko, but still.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest hint at 34=Satoko is the certainity motif. Satoko got the fragments to go exactly like she wanted in blink of an eye while Rika as the miracle motif has to roll dice infinitely until she gets three sixes.
34 is the Witch of Certainity while Bernkastel is the Witch of Miracles.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how R07 will make this so Satoko doesn't come out as irredeemable. Even if they bring witches into this Higurashi is at the core a character drive story about those people's friendship, so I'm not particularly interested in a story where Featherine tortures Rika because she was bored.

Also I find hilarious he legit recommended this to newcomes lol
Granted Featherine isn't as much as a big spoiler as Bern is in Umineko, but still.
Eh I dunno. You can always wave away her responsibility by saying "Hinamizawa syndrome". Right now she's
depressed so accepting an offer by a Godlike being to go back in time to happier times doesn't seem that bad. Problem is that when she goes back in time, she goes back to a body that's still fully affected by the disease. So you get that + Featherine probably fucking with her and you get deranged, murderous Satoko

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I dunno. You can always wave away her responsibility by saying "Hinamizawa syndrome". Right now she's
depressed so accepting an offer by a Godlike being to go back in time to happier times doesn't seem that bad. Problem is that when she goes back in time, she goes back to a body that's still fully affected by the disease. So you get that + Featherine probably fucking with her and you get deranged, murderous Satoko
Honestly I'm hoping R07 matured as a writer to the point he doesn't need to resort to a magical disease to explain the characters doing back things.
He certantly didn't in Umineko and even made fun of it.
He even "cured" Satoko of the syndrome so it would feel like a step back to me. I can't even imagine someone L5 planning serval murders in advance with 100% chance of success. Even Shion got roped into the moment and snowballed form there.

I wonder if left-over Hanyuu is actually her own person or just Featherine playing 4d chess.

Oct 25, 2017
So she finally made it. Well Rika somehow managing to win in the loops just became impossible now. I also imagine this reveal would have hit a lot harder if they didn't spoil her in the OP since the first episode. I do wonder what the endgame is gonna be now.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
- The heck was that OP usage? Astonishingly ill-fitting for the scene it overlaps, and then they just threw in the last twenty seconds of it anyway? If you don't have time for the OP, don't play it. The way it was here, it just feels like they animated the wrong amount of episode -- too much to play the OP properly, but not enough to skip it, so they just mushed them together haphazardly and called it a day. Even if that actually happened, you should have skipped the OP entirely and ran twenty seconds of black screen with the ED (since there's apparently never going to be any visuals for the new ED anyway).

- Oh no! My comic violence suddenly lost its cartoon powers! This is a serious and definitely not ridiculous problem that the audience totally won't laugh at!

- Double oh no! The punishment for my apparently-non-comic violence is time in the literal prison that this Catholic school just has on campus for some reason, which none of the previous graduates (who are nearly all rich, powerful, and have high opinions of themselves) have ever sued the school into oblivion for using!

- ...Rena just did comic violence!! You can't have it both ways, show!

- Whoever made the decision to not show K1 in punishment attire needs a firm talking-to. Whoever then had Mion say "wow that thing the audience didn't get to see sure was great" needs two.

- ...And of course, the elephant in the room... That final scene. "Long time no see," says the magical existence Satoko has literally never seen before. They're really going there, huh... I expect nothing, and I'm still disappointed with this show. Obviously we'll see exactly how far they're going to take the Featherine nonsense next week, but I really can't picture any way to make it not suck. Seacats witches and Higurashi witches are just straight-up, flat-out, inarguably not the same thing, and combining the two is a mistake too deep to write around even with a well-crafted plot, let alone the subpar one Gou's been spinning. I feel like Hanyuu here, telling myself every single week to give up hope and just let the next world (episode) play out however it will without letting it get to me -- and man, if something makes you feel like Hanyuu was right, you know that it's a bad time.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
- The heck was that OP usage? Astonishingly ill-fitting for the scene it overlaps, and then they just threw in the last twenty seconds of it anyway? If you don't have time for the OP, don't play it. The way it was here, it just feels like they animated the wrong amount of episode -- too much to play the OP properly, but not enough to skip it, so they just mushed them together haphazardly and called it a day. Even if that actually happened, you should have skipped the OP entirely and ran twenty seconds of black screen with the ED (since there's apparently never going to be any visuals for the new ED anyway).

- Oh no! My comic violence suddenly lost its cartoon powers! This is a serious and definitely not ridiculous problem that the audience totally won't laugh at!

- Double oh no! The punishment for my apparently-non-comic violence is time in the literal prison that this Catholic school just has on campus for some reason, which none of the previous graduates (who are nearly all rich, powerful, and have high opinions of themselves) have ever sued the school into oblivion for using!

- Whoever made the decision to not show K1 in punishment attire needs a firm talking-to. Whoever then had Mion say "wow that thing the audience didn't get to see sure was great" needs two.

- ...And of course, the elephant in the room... That final scene. "Long time no see," says the magical existence Satoko has literally never seen before. They're really going there, huh... I expect nothing, and I'm still disappointed with this show. Obviously we'll see exactly how far they're going to take the Featherine nonsense next week, but I really can't picture any way to make it not suck. Seacats witches and Higurashi witches are just straight-up, flat-out, inarguably not the same thing, and combining the two is a mistake too deep to write around even with a well-crafted plot, let alone the subpar one Gou's been spinning. I feel like Hanyuu here, telling myself every single week to give up hope and just let the next world (episode) play out however it will without letting it get to me -- and man, if something makes you feel like Hanyuu was right, you know that it's a bad time.
Everything about S.Lucia is bad lol It's like someone doing a parody of the worst school they could think of. Like I mean it was always portrayed as shithole for rich ladies, but a fucking prison cell? Give me a break. It doesn't help that Passione is really a bad studio so you get shots like this one:

b42dLWD.jpg

As for the witches, I don't think it's a big deal, Lambda and Bern are voyagers and they already appeared in multiple stories and Featherine likes to self insert herself into her stories. I don't think R07 will ever go full Nasuverse where you'll get a full infodump on how the meta world works and he'll probably keep it vague. And I mean, Higu and Umi were already connected anyway with Rika's witch persona flying away to different universes and Lambda being retconned into Higurashi.

I don't want to see Higurashi become the kind of story where the characters are just pieces on a gameboard for a witch though, it was always at the core a very human story and the whole Umineko tie-ins felt more Easter eggs than something you needed to know. So I'm kinda wary on how they are going to use Featherine.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The anime not showing a cat eared, maid, school swimsuit Keiichi was infuriating for sure

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017

I am way more lenient to this anime than you but man that specific point bothered me so much. Satoko's traps were always cartoon logic you can't have them suddenly hurt people. Keichi would be fucking dead in that case.

New theory: Hinamizawa parasites give you immunity to iron damage.

As for the ending and the implications, I'd rather not overthink it. Higurashi and Umineko are very different stories and trying to directly connect them will not work great. You can make all sorts of theories, but ehhhh.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Satoko being sent to school prison got me burst in laughter - I was like wtf , they got jail cell clothes and a cell in a school.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My favourite part was when they proceeded to then just let her out and run around the campus after a while.

Like, what was the point of any of that? Why not just have the school suspend her and confine her to her room?

Nov 29, 2018
I feel like this episode addressed some of the issues I had with the last one, but man I feel worse than before.

Yeah, this all just kinda screamed lazy to me. I mean I get it, the point of the arc is to show that unlike Rika, Satoko doesn't really fit in at St. Lucia's. But man, what a 180 from last episode. It goes from having her acting like a social and academic outsider to just straight up assaulting people (which by the way, how did she get up to that chandelier?) and then being locked in an actual prison cell underneath the school (with full prison attire, even). Honestly, this show is off the rails. Also, should the statue have both its hands still in this timeline? I've totally lost track.

Special shoutout to K1 for sailing a yacht to the reunion.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I am way more lenient to this anime than you but man that specific point bothered me so much. Satoko's traps were always cartoon logic you can't have them suddenly hurt people. Keichi would be fucking dead in that case.

New theory: Hinamizawa parasites give you immunity to iron damage.

As for the ending and the implications, I'd rather not overthink it. Higurashi and Umineko are very different stories and trying to directly connect them will not work great. You can make all sorts of theories, but ehhhh.
I mean, the complaint about the cartoon violence is very inane.
Yes, it's on purpose, the anime is clearly doing it on purpose to drive home the point about Satoko and who she is not fitting in on this new environment. The tomfoolery that she and the crew used to do and which she longs for doesn't exist anymore, not at St. Lucia at least, it literally is as if actual reality changed for her.
They go even further and have the same kind of cartoon violence happening once they are back to Hinamizawa, and having it be fine, there Satoko can be herself and be happy.
Yes, they can have it both ways... because it's the whole point, to make a comparison lol

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
That's a fair point, actually. A bit heavy handed maybe but it's higurashi that's nothing new for this series.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
My headcanon has always been that each player had two pieces in Higurashi. Featherine had Rika & Hanyu while Lamba had Satoko & Miyo. It just kinda explains most of the contradicting bits.

I think Gou will keep most of the meta stuff vague as it should be. As indulgent R07 tends to get with his themes he's always surprisingly restrained with it comes to the inner works of the meta-verse and how WTC connects, which I always appreciate.

However, I want to point out the the idea that the club are characters in a story rebeling against its cruel author isn't that alien to Higu and doesn't take anything from its core drama and themes imo. Check K1's monolog at the end of Tsumihoroboshi.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm glad someone else explained what the point of the different reactions to cartoon violence represents but let me just also add that aside from the big cell hallway and orange jumpsuit to really hammer things home, the idea of a catholic boarding institution having an arcane punishment system is really not that outlandish.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

He has a funny definition of protagonist.

Definitely happy for Satoko to get more screen time though, I always felt that a lot of the show kinda went on around her and she personally doesn't do much

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
lol Satoko faking the vomit. I guess I gave R07 too much credit given his past as a social worked I didn't expect to write a whole arc where an abuse victim fakes her abuse.

Ooishi stuff sound bullshit

Featherine not being called Featherine was obvious going to happen since the story must stand on its own regardless of meta connections.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Preview shots for next episode. An interesting detail...
higurashianime.com

郷壊し編 ―其の四― | TVアニメ「ひぐらしのなく頃に 卒」公式サイト

何かに誘われるように祭具殿へと足を踏み入れた沙都子は、突如神々しい輝きに包まれる。目を開けた沙都子は、自分がこの世ならざる場所に立っていることに気づく。
p_002.jpg

Not-Featherine has L5-like vertical pupils, although with an otherwise calm expression. Rika's pupils change into a similar shape at the end of the opening. People generally associated these with L5 eyes, but considering the overall context of the scene, I think this might actually indicate Rika throwing away her humanity somehow.

lol Satoko faking the vomit. I guess I gave R07 too much credit given his past as a social worked I didn't expect to write a whole arc where an abuse victim fakes her abuse.

Satoko had already faked abuse in her backstory (against her stepfather), even if her actual arcs focused on her receiving real abuse from her uncle.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the prison uniform and school dungeon thing was Passione's idea. I'm not sure I like the change from Ryu's script since it seemed far more realistic

I still don't see how they wrap all of this up in four episodes with another stream at the end of next month, I wonder if they got another surprise fake out like Gou being a remake. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Oct 25, 2017
The AT-X listing for an episode 25 is still up...

週間番組表(2021/03/22~2021/03/28) | AT-X

本日放送する番組はこちらから。今月~来月の番組表も公開中!
At the current rate the last episode of Gou should air on the 18th of next month. That timing lining up a week before the stream is too suspect.

Ooishi stuff sound bullshit

Featherine not being called Featherine was obvious going to happen since the story must stand on its own regardless of meta connections.
I got a feeling Satoko killed Teppei early in the arc this time around which sets Ooshi off since he's the character who has the best access to see what Satoko was doing offscreen, and likely had the police watching her. How that ties into the ending, I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident the vision with Teppei was fake, and it was probably Irie or someone else, and Ooshi came in later to see the aftermath which drove him to L5.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
So, as someone who's only on episode 5 of Umineko right now and has never seen this character before, how out of the loop does it seem like I'll be if I keep watching this series? Despite the issues I've had with it, I really do want to know what'll happen next, but I also don't want to potentially ruin Umineko for myself or be completely out of the loop for Gou.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, as someone who's only on episode 5 of Umineko right now and has never seen this character before, how out of the loop does it seem like I'll be if I keep watching this series? Despite the issues I've had with it, I really do want to know what'll happen next, but I also don't want to potentially ruin Umineko for myself or be completely out of the loop for Gou.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC Featherine doesn't even show up in the Umineko anime. The anime literally doesn't get far enough in the story for her to appear, or something changed and it went anime original, I dunno, I tried to scrub my memory of it.

So if you really wanna keep watching that...show, go ahead. But I'd recommend reading the VN off Steam instead tbh.

Feb 8, 2020
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC Featherine doesn't even show up in the Umineko anime. The anime literally doesn't get far enough in the story for her to appear, or something changed and it went anime original, I dunno, I tried to scrub my memory of it.

So if you really wanna keep watching that anime, go ahead. But I'd recommend reading the VN off Steam instead tbh.
My bad. I meant Episode 5 as in the fifth arc End of the Golden Witch. I watched the anime probably a decade ago and thought that was all there was to it for way too long. Rectifying that decision now, but taking breaks in between episodes to avoid burnout.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My bad. I meant Episode 5 as in the fifth arc End of the Golden Witch. I watched the anime probably a decade ago and thought that was all there was to it for way too long. Rectifying that decision now, but taking breaks in between episodes to avoid burnout.

Oh, derp, that's my bad. I saw Episode and immediately jumped to the anime lol.