• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Takano was Lambda's piece, resembling her as Miyoko when she was a child, but Satoko could be her piece? This series confuses me, but I love it anyhow.

Was it assumed Rika was the looper from the original timeline? That ep made it seem like Takano loops too, but again what do I know?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Takano was Lambda's piece, resembling her as Miyoko when she was a child, but Satoko could be her piece? This series confuses me, but I love it anyhow.

Was it assumed Rika was the looper from the original timeline? That ep made it seem like Takano loops too, but again what do I know?

Satoko is either Lambda's new piece, the piece for another witch or being influenced by Oyashiro-sama.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh come on

Her clothes don't even have any pockets

What a clown fiesta.
- Super heavy-handed dialogue and editing (multiple battle-shonen-level flashbacks, seriously?)
- Takano and her complex motives, "you wouldn't understand" so whatever lol bye
- Rika reacting to Satoko's red eyes despite a) no one has reacted to Rika's red eyes all the times she's done it in this show; and b) where the heck did the eye thing even come from, anyway. Is it a stylistic flair thing, or a literal thing? It's suddenly looking like literal, but that's nonsense.
- Rika straight-up knows that her friends sometimes have memories from other fragments, so why would she even react that way in the first place?
- Random Minagoroshi scene at the start for... What reason, exactly? Certainly not to establish context (Takano being evil, Satoko being colourblind), because there's no point in acting like the viewers haven't seen the original at this point. And even if that was the reason, it sure didn't do a good job of working to that purpose when the rest of the episode throws in the Yamainu/Banken/Tokyo without explanation and has a whole scene of Irie spouting exposition at no one. Make up your mind -- do you trust the viewers, or not? Apparently not, but it's not even consistent in that, either.

I'm less convinced with each passing week that this show knows what it's doing, and will deliver a satisfying tie-up in the end. When the most enjoyable moment of the episode is two seconds of "hey, that's Amakusa, I know that guy", that really speaks to the hamfistedness of the drama and plotting.

Your first few points are imo connected (not the red eyes though). My opinion is that Takano couldn't explain shit to Rika, because Satoko already stole one gun and one vile which has been shown later. Would explain why she acts like that and Rika noticed that there already and put everything in motion.

She was the piece. Seems like that changed here. I think Takano doesn't loop or knows anything at all. I guess Satoko shocked her (maybe in disguise or something) or told her something that made Takanos plan are failed cause and also has stolen the gun and vial at that moment. I guess that is one thing that happens in any Satoko timeline. I think we will see all of that and how it happened over the last few episodes now because the arc is literally called Satoko Destroy Chapter or Village Destroying Chapter depending on how you would like to read it.

Also I think Mion is here to definitely save the day next episode. She had something different written on her note which why it hasn't been shown, but this episode we suddenly see the exact time at certain points. I guess Rika told her to meet up with her and they have a plan in mind which is also why Mions present is something that hasn't much thought in it which is strange for Mion. So she definitely prepared something here.

Edit: It's crazy but seeing that Mions and Satokos guns are the same model...they exchanged those guns and Satoko won't be able to kill anyone.

For anyone interested in the new cover for the ED song

vkb0h1d9y4e61.jpg

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Someone on reddit was saying how theyve always had Miyo (3-4) hints prior for Satoko back in kai maybe it was just a pure coincidence

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I doubt that about Kai, but the 3-4 hint was here in lots of scenes in Gou.
This little bit in Kai (not sure if the gou manga ref counts) from reddit

d9U4lq5.png

VdWM9My.png

Needless to say I think the girl in the unbuttoning her shirt is prob some form of Lambda now. Oh an apparently R07 hinted early on to pay attention to the op for hints? haha that much was obvious but still.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This little bit in Kai (not sure if the gou manga ref counts) from reddit

d9U4lq5.png

VdWM9My.png

Needless to say I think the girl in the unbuttoning her shirt is prob some form of Lambda now. Oh an apparently R07 hinted early on to pay attention to the op for hints? haha that much was obvious but still.

Yeah he said that in an interview which is why I immediately doubted her lol. But nice because he also never confirmed Lambda being Takanos counterpart. Lots of hints back then too. It makes also a ton of sense with Bern and Lambda always hanging out together lol

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am free from ban prison so I will just say.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT at the last episode, just pure insanity at the end.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is Rika dying at the beginning of the next episode, seeing as it begins a new arc?
I legit do not even know what to expect anymore
Satoko's MO was to break Rika enough into never wanting to leave Hinamizawa but now that Rika knows Satoko loops AND she might have had cut her in half while sane...Rika might unleash her full rage and frustration on everyone but then Satoko's loop seems earlier so she might spawn camp kill Rika

Also the name for the next arc is pure brilliance in terms of puns:
Hometown/Village Annihilation Arc
Satoko Annihilation Arc
Satoshi Arc (if you remove red kanji)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is Rika dying at the beginning of the next episode, seeing as it begins a new arc?

I'm kind of expecting flashbacks to Satoko's and Rika's future life at some point;

Since they've already pretty much spelled out that Satoko is the culprit, it seems like the right point to show how she turns out like this.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of expecting flashbacks to Satoko's and Rika's future life at some point;

Since they've already pretty much spelled out that Satoko is the culprit, it seems like the right point to show how she turns out like this.

Was Satoko attending St. Lucia with Rika in the future?

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be lambda or alike or satoko ends up looking like lambda in the future. Maybe like a bernkastel situation but with her.
Lambda can't show up as herself outside the Metaverse. She has to pick a piece to go in for her like Takano in the OG. So far the only one person that's been hinted to be in from Umineko is

Featherine, and that's only because of the OP.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
She has a fanny pack on her back.

jCV7SK2.png

I just assumed that the pack was under her clothes or something.
Only in her casual clothes, not her school clothes. It doesn't look possible to hide the pack under her school skirt.
For half a second, I also initially thought she could have grabbed Mion's airsoft gun, but school clothing strikes again there too -- she doesn't wear it to school.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I know a few people called the twist on here, so I wasn't exactly surprised, but I was still shocked if that makes any sense. I really didn't expect her to just pull out the jammy like that; it's one of those moments where I couldn't help but laugh a bit at how well this would fit on a "top ten anime betrayals" list.

So what does this mean for Satoko's susceptibility to Hinamizawa Syndrome? The show's been pretty consistent that when people snap, it's because they went level five, but now my interpretation is that even the literal gut wrenching scene was done by Satoko in full control. Is she free from the disease because she's looping (or due to the influence of whoever is helping her loop)? Can she still snap in even an idyllic scenario unless she continues to get injections that take her back to L3 like in the other loops?

The above may not matter given what happens in the next episode, but I can't help but feel some of the internal logic of the show is starting to strain itself a bit.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after that cliffhanger last episode, now they're gonna go back and show just what happened to Satako.

Episode picks up right at the end of Matsuribayashi-hen then does a year time skip.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I know a few people called the twist on here, so I wasn't exactly surprised, but I was still shocked if that makes any sense. I really didn't expect her to just pull out the jammy like that; it's one of those moments where I couldn't help but laugh a bit at how well this would fit on a "top ten anime betrayals"

Rena and Keichi are just there celebrating Satoko's birthday. Wonder how they'll react lol

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slow episode. Kinda needed but eh, doesn't really show anything "new" or unexpected.
That song at the end tho is pretty good. New ED?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Slow episode but I liked it, it was cool seeing the aftermath of the original series and how all the characters moved on. I'm curious to see how it leads to Satoko doing what she did

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Given the timeframe given already and what's shown so far, it's easy to see how bad this can go.

Hanyuu said that Rika survived for five years after breaking the cycle, so 1988 is when whatever happens that causes her to be sent back. It's only 1984 in the present show. There's still four years left to show like, Satoko to fail the exam or wash out of St. Lucia, Rena and Keiichi to grow up and move on just like Mion, any sort of update on Satoshi in his coma with the potential of bad news, etc.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm
Guess everyone drifting apart will break Satoko who will make a deal with "Hanyuu" (Featherine). Rika is getting also punishment for leaving Hinamizawa and hurting Satoko the most. But dunno man, Mion (probably K1 and Rena soon) just drifting like that kinda feels sad

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think Satoko will make it to St.Lucia, but will end up in a different class from Rika, and so they will drift apart there. Note the comment about how Hinamizawa is special for having everyone together in the same class. Satoko probably gets bullied or something and Rika doesn't even notice.

Also, if the Hinamizawa syndrome settled down due to Hanyuu, then maybe her return in the future in a new form will mean it suddenly spiking again. (assuming Satoko's looping powers are related to Hanyuu)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
The show seems too eager to show its hand. Satoko seems a little bit too convenient of a culprit and I'm not convinced that she would get thrown under the bus so easily as a time-traveling serial killer.

Oct 25, 2017
One episode into the new arc, and it's pretty easy to spot why Satoko would be looping now, and be so desperate to go back to 1983. It feels like there's probably more going on with Mion right now that we're missing or aren't privy too. The noticeable lack Shion and Satoshi makes me wonder what's going on with them since HZ syndrome is gone, which would imply he's out of his coma now.

In any case, I'm pretty much expecting Keiichi or Rena to go next, and leave the rest of the club members alone. Meanwhile Rika and Satoko get accepted to St. Lucia and get split apart there. If I remember correctly Shion absolutely hated it there, and bailed the second she could meanwhile Ange was completely miserable there in Umineko. Needless, to say Rika might be the only one that has fond memories of it when she compares it to dying in all those Higurashi loops.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
...The more I think about this show, the more strongly I resist it. Higurashi is about working together with others, sharing your problems, and finding happiness out of whatever life throws your way. I really hope this show gets there eventually...

About the episode specifically: that wasn't really Matsuribayashi, was it...? Just taking the pre-opening scene on its own, the differences are minor enough that I'd normally accept it as a matter of adaptation, but the world we're shown afterwards just goes too far against the Matsuribayashi epilogue.
Hanyuu not being there is one thing -- the spinoffs and such never seem to agree on what to do with her anyway, even though Matsuribayashi makes it extremely clear she stays with them as a human. That premise was kinda out the window from episode 2, so whatever, I guess.
But then you also have a detail like Keiichi being the club president, which is so specific a thing to contradict that it seems like a pointed shot. You're telling me the people making this followed the epilogue strictly enough to make him the class rep, but ignored the literal next line that says he refused to become club president? ...Why? I don't get it. Worse, I'm not sure there's anything there for me to get; it's probably just that they either forgot that detail, or knew about it and didn't care.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
...The more I think about this show, the more strongly I resist it. Higurashi is about working together with others, sharing your problems, and finding happiness out of whatever life throws your way. I really hope this show gets there eventually...

About the episode specifically: that wasn't really Matsuribayashi, was it...? Just taking the pre-opening scene on its own, the differences are minor enough that I'd normally accept it as a matter of adaptation, but the world we're shown afterwards just goes too far against the Matsuribayashi epilogue.
Hanyuu not being there is one thing -- the spinoffs and such never seem to agree on what to do with her anyway, even though Matsuribayashi makes it extremely clear she stays with them as a human. That premise was kinda out the window from episode 2, so whatever, I guess.
But then you also have a detail like Keiichi being the club president, which is so specific a thing to contradict that it seems like a pointed shot. You're telling me the people making this followed the epilogue strictly enough to make him the class rep, but ignored the literal next line that says he refused to become club president? ...Why? I don't get it. Worse, I'm not sure there's anything there for me to get; it's probably just that they either forgot that detail, or knew about it and didn't care.
The Gou episode takes place one year after Matsuri, Hanyuu was already a ghost in Rei. R07 changed her character trajectory like 3 times now.

As for the show theme, this thing already took a fat shit on the original's ending and theme. No idea how R07 can even salvage it at this point. Hopefully the gacha money were worth killing Higurashi.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Like mentioned above, even Rei already had her going back to be a spirit for some reason.

The bit where Keiichi refuses becoming the club president happens before Mion graduates though.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted that to last a while longer, before we plunge into the inevitable gorefest next episode

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of wish if they were going to get to St. Lucia already this episode they had skipped over the preparation part even more and gave all screentime to St.Lucia proper. As things stand, the rest of the cast was written out too quickly, but Satoko's and Rika's rift in Saint Lucia also started too quickly.
I guess next episode we'll meet Satoko's Oyashiro-sama.

Oct 25, 2017
5 episodes left supposedly. I still don't think they can't fill in everything in the small amount of time they have left, and it makes me wonder if another season is coming afterward.

Last episode: HZ syndrome is over.
The end of this episode: the cicada's start crying again.

So that was a lie huh, and whoever gives Satoko looping powers is probably showing up next week considering they still don't want to give us visuals for the ending, and spoil everything.

Nov 29, 2018
I kind of wish if they were going to get to St. Lucia already this episode they had skipped over the preparation part even more and gave all screentime to St.Lucia proper. As things stand, the rest of the cast was written out too quickly, but Satoko's and Rika's rift in Saint Lucia also started too quickly.
I guess next episode we'll meet Satoko's Oyashiro-sama.
I agree with this.
There needed to be a full episode illustrating Satoko's loneliness at the academy. Not that she needed to suffer more, but the buildup just felt too abrupt, as if hardly any time had passed since they started at the academy.
It also makes the last episode feel even weirder, because it spent so much time on strange epilogue nonsense and then ends on probably the worst "cliffhanger" of the entire series.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
In today's episode of "random nitpicks roughly equivalent to Gou eating crackers": it bugged me that the St. Lucia flyer said "Junior and Senior High School" on it, when in Meakashi we're told St. Lucia goes from elementary school all the way up through university. There are plenty of ways to explain it away, of course (maybe they only take applications for middle and high school, or maybe different levels have different flyers), but that's beside the point; I don't actually care about so-called "plot holes" of this sort.

Rather, I think this kind of thing sticking out at me at all is a really good demonstration of how much of a "feels like fanfiction" and/or "doesn't feel like Higurashi" mood I've had about this show lately. I'm certain that if I wasn't already feeling ho-hum about Gou, I would never even notice such unimportant, miniscule details like this... And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't care to think or post about them.

Moving on:

DYx5d6w.jpg

"Hmm, you know what out big, key focal scene about friendship drama needs? An ass shot of Satoko, with slow rotation to suck your eyes in, for 12 full seconds! That's one for every year of her age!"
-- Some director, probably

...Really, show? It sticks out like a sore thumb even more when it's followed immediately by a reverse shot that takes almost the exact same angle of Rika, and yet somehow does so without putting the focus on her butt and thighs. Amazing, really, that they managed such a miraculous feat... The direction has been weak lately in general, but it's almost comical at this point.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
In today's episode of "random nitpicks roughly equivalent to Gou eating crackers": it bugged me that the St. Lucia flyer said "Junior and Senior High School" on it, when in Meakashi we're told St. Lucia goes from elementary school all the way up through university. There are plenty of ways to explain it away, of course (maybe they only take applications for middle and high school, or maybe different levels have different flyers), but that's beside the point; I don't actually care about so-called "plot holes" of this sort.

Rather, I think this kind of thing sticking out at me at all is a really good demonstration of how much of a "feels like fanfiction" and/or "doesn't feel like Higurashi" mood I've had about this show lately. I'm certain that if I wasn't already feeling ho-hum about Gou, I would never even notice such unimportant, miniscule details like this... And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't care to think or post about them.

Moving on:

DYx5d6w.jpg

"Hmm, you know what out big, key focal scene about friendship drama needs? An ass shot of Satoko, with slow rotation to suck your eyes in, for 12 full seconds! That's one for every year of her age!"
-- Some director, probably

...Really, show? It sticks out like a sore thumb even more when it's followed immediately by a reverse shot that takes almost the exact same angle of Rika, and yet somehow does so without putting the focus on her butt and thighs. Amazing, really, that they managed such a miraculous feat... The direction has been weak lately in general, but it's almost comical at this point.
The realest question is why the hell Shion didn't bother warning Satoko about S.Lucia in 3 damn years, and the only answer I can think of is R07 didn't care since all club members basically became side characters in their story.

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The realest question is why the hell Shion didn't bother warning Satoko about S.Lucia in 3 damn years, and the only answer I can think of is R07 didn't care since all club members basically became side characters of their story.
Oh for sure. Nobody really acting like themselves (or doing much of anything, tbh) is a big part of the fanfiction-y feeling -- and the thing I said last week about it not really feeling like the Matsuribayashi world, too.

Although apparently the only problem with St. Lucia's is that the math tests are hard. All the bullies must've flunked out! Or maybe picking on kids whose family members murdered their other family members won't become the cool, hip thing to do at St. Lucia's until the 90s.
(Umineko): ...Though now that I think about that, the elementary school thing is bugging me again. Rika and Satoko enroll in 1987; I don't remember if Ange was put into St. Lucia's right away or a couple years later, but if it was right after Eva adopted her then she'd be in the elementary division during this very episode.

Edit: Come to think of it, this applies to K1 too. He watched Satoko study herself "to death" for three years, and never talked to her about how school pressure ended up working out for him before he moved to Hinamizawa? It's kinda, y'know, his biggest trauma. I forget if Matsuribayashi is one of the worlds where he told the gang that story, but even if it wasn't, he surely would have found the right moment to bring it up in three years.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I do agree the biggest annoyance so far for this arc is the Satoshi and the Sonozaki's sisters being nonentities. Especially with how obsessed Shion is with Satoko/Satoshi, and to a lesser extent, Mion was with Keiichi. Gou has had Shion doting on Satoko for almost all of her appearances in Gou, and yet she's nowhere to be found when Satoko graduates going to a school, she herself went to is just weird.

They definitely should have given it more episodes to breathe because it feels extremely compressed, and is rushing itself too much.

Sep 14, 2019
They definitely should have given it more episodes to breathe because it feels extremely compressed, and is rushing itself too much.

They spent too much time going through the arcs that were nearly identical to the original series, and now the new arc that needs more time to breath is the one they rush 😔

Anyway, I started wondering today: Why didn't Hanyuu just tell Rika that Satoko also had looping powers? Or at the very least say "Hey, there's someone else like you that's manipulation shit. Be careful!" instead of being all vague.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I like to believe that since it was not Hanyuu but rather a small part of her she was very limited in what she would do

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree the biggest annoyance so far for this arc is the Satoshi and the Sonozaki's sisters being nonentities. Especially with how obsessed Shion is with Satoko/Satoshi, and to a lesser extent, Mion was with Keiichi. Gou has had Shion doting on Satoko for almost all of her appearances in Gou, and yet she's nowhere to be found when Satoko graduates going to a school, she herself went to is just weird.

Oh god, Satoshi.

1983, shortly after endless June: Hinamizawa Syndrome is declining! Satoko doesn't need shots, and we're hinting that Satoshi is probably going to wake up soon!
1987, and the montage of years leading up to it: Satoshi who? Get with it, we're talking about Satoko now. Satoshi isn't relevant to Satoko, don't be silly!

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I like to believe that since it was not Hanyuu but rather a small part of her she was very limited in what she would do
I don't think Hanyuu herself would know anyway, she's just a dumb ghost that hangs with Rika and loops her because they are connected. She didn't even know Takano was killing Rika since she was affected by the same err memory erasure thing.

This said she's probably coming back at one point because of the stuff with her horns. It has to go somewhere.