• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm
Playing pretty normal as far as Satoko's arc goes, but K1 getting more severe fragment flashbacks might change stuff also yeah, Shion is pretending to be Mion. Rika is kinda useless, not gonna lie, I wonder what is up with that.

Oct 25, 2017
The OG VNs are steam if you want to get them. They recently had a sale that I used to buy the series. The DEEN anime isn't on Netflix in the US from what I could tell, so I have no idea which service has that here.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Shion being involved with Teppei's murder seems almost certain at this point. For one thing there's no reason at all why she would get along well with Satoko in this fragment if she's not even gonna attempt to murder him. (I say attempt because if Satoko is looping then there's a chance she does it herself, although her behavior so far doesn't suggest that. Assuming she's looping, she could even be faking her emotional breakdown and L5 symptoms in this fragment, in order to bait one of the group into murder and L5 range. I'm not super down with the idea that she can just casually act such a behavior though. Seems like a stretch.)

In any case, the question of what the fuck Rika has been doing in Gou remains.

Last edited:

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I think that what Rika is doing is that she has noticed what we have noticed: the rules are not necessarily the same this time around. So she is observing the fragments as they pass to see if she can figure out the changes and what the new rules are. It's her completely blank reaction to Satoko's breakdown that convinces me that this is Rika's play. She doesn't believe any of these will be miracle fragments until she has a better understanding of what is going on, and doesn't seem to much care about keeping up the pretense that they might be.

Which will likely be one of Rika's worst plays. Showing apathy or outright disdain at the wrong time is going to cost her info if not an outright miracle, imo.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering if
Satoko will be the one to kill her uncle this time around because she is looping and knows how this plays out.
But.. I don't think I like the idea of her faking that meltdown, I'd feel uncomfortable if that's the case considering how heavy this particular story is, but there is no way Satoko isn't involved in something considering HOW she died in these last 2 arcs.
I've been thinking this arc might be the big turning point where her involvement is revealed considering how straight they have played these first 2 episodes, something big must be coming.
Rika is acting unusual as well but yeah I like the idea above that she is spectating to try and find out whats going on

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if
Satoko will be the one to kill her uncle this time around because she is looping and knows how this plays out.
But.. I don't think I like the idea of her faking that meltdown, I'd feel uncomfortable if that's the case considering how heavy this particular story is, but there is no way Satoko isn't involved in something considering HOW she died in these last 2 arcs.
I've been thinking this arc might be the big turning point where her involvement is revealed considering how straight they have played these first 2 episodes, something big must be coming.
Rika is acting unusual as well but yeah I like the idea above that she is spectating to try and find out whats going on
She doesn't really have to fake it if she's just remembering a previous loop though. It could still be a genuine reaction that living with Teppei brought back again. We'll need to see the next episode to see where exactly this arc is heading.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this is a continuation, it's still far too close to the original season for me so far.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the "faking it" interpretation. if the theory that she's looping is true, that means she is aware that she is potentially doomed to repeat that abuse for eternity. i dunno about anyone else but i know that would make me feel worse, not better!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Deen version for this chapter is 5 eps long, but I'm guessing this will be 4 as usual. Rewatching Deen version first before Gou is definitely the way to go. Now I can appreciate all the deviation.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God is this going to be Minagoroshi, except instead of Takano it's going to turn out that Dark Ooishi and his heated car are the true masterminds

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Like in Minagoroshi, they conveniently forget to mention that Satoko had a full blown mental breakdown the moment someone tried to touch her in class. Come on guys, give the agency something to work with.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Know the original anime series and took a break after the 1st episode of the current arc as I can't take the abusive uncle. It's a bit too depressing knowing in advance that this will be another dead end. Will continue once the next arc starts, which should be the first answer arc?

Oct 25, 2017
That cliffhanger......

images

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I've gotta admit I didn't see that one coming. Certainly turns around my thoughts from last week.

I hadn't thought about it much before, but this series is only confirmed for 24 episodes, huh...? If there's no second season at all, no "Kai", then of course there's no way they could follow the original anime's structure forever. If the intention is to tell a complete and finished story in just the 4-6 arcs that'll fit into 24 episodes, the swerve into Minagoroshi here is actually an incredibly smart way of accelerating the plot development. I hope this doesn't mean we skip some version of Tsumihoroboshi, though.
Know the original anime series and took a break after the 1st episode of the current arc as I can't take the abusive uncle. It's a bit too depressing knowing in advance that this will be another dead end. Will continue once the next arc starts, which should be the first answer arc?
If they continue the pattern of the original, the next arc will be a play on Himatsubushi (meaning, a question arc, not an answer arc). However, it's not clear that they'll follow that pattern -- since this arc made itself look like Tatarigoroshi for the first two episodes, but has now shifted gears and is following Minagoroshi instead. If they're diving into answer arc territory already, all bets are kind of off as to where they go from here -- we don't even know for sure that this arc will be a dead end at all, honestly.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, interesting. Still, they're not doing enough to show anything new, sounds like it'll be 90% of remaking and mixing old arcs just to tie the new stuff together at the end. I wish we'd have gotten a brand new arc already.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Going back and rewatching the series really seems to be the way to go after all of this time, as I'm picking up on way more details with a refreshed mind, such as:

RIP to Kaieda the principal, lost to presumable time constraints. May your bald head shine bright in the afterlife.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So, uhh...

Did Keiichi hallucinate the Satoko that took him away from the festival? Teppei didn't take any notice of her, and Rena seemed certain she was killed at Watanagashi. Can't imagine she'd have gone back there after the fight happened. But Keiichi hasn't shown any signs of Hinamizawa Syndrome this arc, and it historically gets triggered by stress (something that no-one had anything of at the time). As for how Teppei got there, the obvious explanation is Ooishi let him out I guess.

It's also odd that Satoko would want to go back to that house at all. One explanation is that Satoko lured Keiichi there to get ambushed by Teppei, but her shock at seeing him makes that seem unlikely too.

Then again, we didn't see any actual evidence of Ooishi going postal, just Rena saying it. Seems odd there weren't any visuals to accommodate that revelation. There's definitely something up with him (Kuma-chan didn't want to say anything) but Rena ain't always the most reliable source of info.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Satoko almost certainlty lured Keichi on purpose. Even ignoring how she's suspicious in general, this episode is completely framed around her being up to something.

Ooishi apparently going L5 was completely unexpected though, what the hell was up with that. I guess he probably got injected with a syringe? And unlike Tomitake who was alone in the woods and unarmed when that happened. Ooishi was in the middle of the festival with a gun.

Next episode we presumably get a proper Rika pov, can't wait to figure out what she's thinking.

Sep 14, 2019
Satoko almost certainlty lured Keichi on purpose. Even ignoring how she's suspicious in general, this episode is completely framed around her being up to something.

Ooishi apparently going L5 was completely unexpected though, what the hell was up with that. I guess he probably got injected with a syringe? And unlike Tomitake who was alone in the woods and unarmed when that happened. Ooishi was in the middle of the festival with a gun.

Next episode we presumably get a proper Rika pov, can't wait to figure out what she's thinking.

Maybe Ooishi found Miyu before she injected Tomitake and used it on Ooishi instead?

Man, this whole arc felt like a letdown. I knew it wouldn't have led to a happy ending considering how many episodes are still left, but I was hoping for a lot more new info or something at the very least.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
So Satoko died in a way that didn't make sense, again. There is no way she could have been shot dead at the festival if she had lured Keiichi to her house. Every arc has ended with her dying in vague and nonsensical ways, there is definitely something up there.

Ooishi too is a big question mark right now, he apparently arrested Teppei who then showed up at the house to attack Keiichi and then shot up the festival.

Is he working with Satoko?

Sep 14, 2019
So Satoko died in a way that didn't make sense, again. There is no way she could have been shot dead at the festival if she had lured Keiichi to her house. Every arc has ended with her dying in vague and nonsensical ways, there is definitely something up there.

Ooishi too is a big question mark right now, he apparently arrested Teppei who then showed up at the house to attack Keiichi and then shot up the festival.

Is he working with Satoko?

Maybe she went to get help at the Festival since everyone was there and that's when she got shot.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Since Satoko most probably lured Keichi, there's a strong possibility she knew what was gonna happen and wanted to save him. Especially if it was her that hit him with the bat and Keichi hallucinated the rest, like he did in the first arc with Rena.

The problem with this theory is that Keichi really has no reason to have advanced virus symptoms in this arc, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wonder if we can get the OK from a mod to discuss aired episodes without the use of spoiler tags? Anyway:

I don't think Teppei was a hallucination. Satoko runs in and yells "UNCLE!", meaning that she can see him and he either wasn't supposed to attack Keiichi or wasn't supposed to be there at all. For what it's worth I'm betting it's the latter; I can't see Satoko trusting him with anything based on their history. I think Satoko took Keiichi there so that he wouldn't get shot, but Ooishi double-crossed her by letting Teppei out. How did the two of them get in touch? Hmm.

My theory is that we have a shifting antagonist. That is to say, the culprit is also stuck in the loop and winds up taking control of someone different in each arc. There's too much going on with different characters that can't be completely explained by a single mastermind or Hinamizawa Syndrome.

In Tataridama we have Ooishi, who alternates between frustrating and helping the characters seemingly at a whim before going postal at the end. In Onidama it's probably Rena, while in Watadama... I actually think it might be Rika? It would explain why we don't see her internal thoughts, why she had that "breakdown", why she made a mistake in the festival dance (something which, to my knowledge, hasn't happened before), and why she seemingly just decided to get herself offed.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Big thing I'm not really understanding so far is that Rika (even in her own internal monologues) acts no differently to how she did in the original series.
There's no shock at anything genuinely new and particularly in the Satiko arc acts like saving her will turn over fate, even though they've done that before

just about to start the newest episode, hoping it'll start to flesh things out more

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this was actually stuff I conjectured last week, but this is more or less what I currently think is going on:

At some point in "the future," something terrible happens involving Rika and Satoko (who is this girl in the OP). Either Rika is somehow deathly ill, or Satoko can no longer manage her Syndrome with the medicine derived from Rika's queen parasite blood.

In the prototype for Higurashi, a short story called Hinamizawa Bus Stop, the main characters were an older Rika and a slightly younger Mion, who fulfilled more of a Satoko role as Rika's best friend and member of a poor family that supported the dam. Part of the plot of that involves a plot to have Rika's queen parasite transplanted into Mion, which has to be done quickly because Mion's parastie was aggravated by a trip out of Hinamizawa.

I think that's basically what happened in "the future" (which was, uh, before this): Rika decided to have the parasite transferred (possibly because it grants immunity to Syndrome symptoms and could save Satoko's life) at risk to herself. Something goes wrong and one or both of them dies, but not before the parasite is transferred. The queen parasite interacting with Satoko's aggravated parasites causes Hanyuu to "reawaken," but in a much worse form: the "demonic" Oyashiro that slew humans, that her own daughter Furude Ouka had to kill with the Onigari-no-ryuou sword. The TIP at the end of Episode 8 of the VN explained that the statue would open up and the sword emerge:

Should one day the Furudes and man once again begin to commit the sinful act of blaming others for evil; should one day when the demon awakens its eye into this world; the Oyashiro-sama belief will wane and the statue will crumble, in which the Onigari-no-Ryuou that was entombed inside it will once again reveal itself into this world.

This will symbolize the resurrection of the sins that the Furudes have forgotten in times past.

Satoko is now linked to Hanyuu. This Hanyuu is more malicious and wishes to exist forever within the looped time in a game with Rika and Satoko rather than disappear again. Hanyuu convinces Satoko that this would be a better outcome for all involved; she can live forever in a happy time period between the abusive home life with her uncle, and the time when both Satoko and Rika were doomed to die in the future. In other words, an eternal "remake," as opposed to Rika, who wants to move forward and escape to a "sequel."

Satoko loops back earlier than Rika (who is left with only a faint "remnant" of Hanyuu), and breaks into the storehouse as normally, but does not break the hand. Instead, she breaks open the head and steals the sword (though a fragment of it broke off as shown in this episode). Hanyuu does not want Rika to be able to permanently kill herself or Satoko with the blade. Satoshi finds out about the sword and holds onto it for Satoko (hiding it in the house somewhere) as there's no way to secretly return it, and he doesn't want the Hojo family to be ostracized even more.

Later down the line, Irie and Takano, while examining Satoko's syndrome, discover that something about her blood is acting similar to Rika's queen blood (due to Hanyuu's presence); this throws a wrench into Takano's scheme as her whole plan revolves around vindicating her grandfather's theories about the parasite and the queen in particular. She modifies her plan, meaning that the deaths on Wataganashi no longer happen.

Hanyuu's plan requires two constants:

-Keiichi, who has the power to twist fate, must always be taken out of the picture early. This is why he's always separated from the others at the end of each arc and prevented from being present at later events. Satoko may intervene to keep him alive.
-Rika and Satoko always die in different ways, because the method itself does not matter. The two have to keep looping, and death is the only way for that to happen. It changes each time to prevent Rika from figuring it out and being able to escape again.

Hanyuu begins to "haunt" Rena, just as her benevolent self did while apologizing when Rena's syndrome flared up in the past. Rena kills Rina/Teppei (or believes she did due a to a flashback). Keiichi hanging out at the dump asking about crimes, and calling Tomitake a spy (due to his own memories) makes Rena paranoid about them, especially when Keiichi is seen taking to Ooishi secretly. Rena watches them at Wataganashi, planning to "appease Oyashiro-sama" by killing and disappearing Tomitake and Takano, but the two of them unexpectedly leave on their own.

Terrified that Oyashiro-sama will take it out on her father for her "failure" to enact the curse, she decides that Keiichi and herself will be the sacrifices this year. Satoko, who has been observing this, intervenes after the fight at Keiichi's house by calling an ambulance to prevent Keiichi from bleeding out. The next day, wracked with guilt seeing Rika baffled and distraught at this unprecedented loop, Satoko confesses her role. Rika thinks that Satoko is succumbing to Syndrome at first and tries to subdue her with the medicine, only for a fight to break out. Rika is killed, and Satoko kills herself when Hanyuu tells her it's the only way to reset everything.

keiichi wakes up and has no idea what the hell is going on

Satoko or Hanyuu somehow lead Shion and/or Mion to become suspicious of the Irie Clinic and the undercover Mountain Dogs, possibly even hinting that they're responsible for Satoshi's disappearance. The Sonozakis investigate and become more and more suspicious of them, as well as Rika for seemingly collaborating with them despite being one of the Heads of the Three Great Families. The other two Heads (Oryo and Mayor Kimiyoshi) try to confront them on Wataganashi and are kidnapped and/or killed. Shion, trying to investigate later, meets the same fate. Mion is left all by herself, and thinks she and Keiichi are next.

Rika, thinking that the loop is already doomed, taunts Keiichi openly about it during school. Both Satoko/Hanyuu and Mion witness this secretly. Satoko purposefully breaks up the discussion by rolling a ball into them. Hanyuu, angered that RIka is "not playing the game" decides that Rika has to die immediately as a "penalty," which Satoko does later. Mion assumes that Rika was threatening Keiichi, and that Satoko is on it when she casts suspicion on him for Rika's disappearance; Mion makes up a lie about "a construction worker" to save Keiichi and freaks out over her new belief that Rika is the mastermind. Meanwhile, the Mountain Dogs are freaking out over Rika mysteriously disappearing during school, and assume that Mion (as the remaining Sonozaki leader) is responsible as the family has already been opposing them.

Mion decides to shelter Keiichi in her underground safe room. The Mountain Dogs prepare to raid the estate looking for Rika. Satoko (whom Mion sees on the camera and calls a minion, thinking it's on Rika's behalf) attempts to defuse the situation as Rika is already dead and there's no more use for this. Things go sideways and both Satoko and Mion are shot by the Mountain Dogs, who notice that Mion was wielding a much larger caliber revolver. They take that gun and replace it with a smaller handgun that will match the bullet wounds on the two girls, and then search the estate for Rika. They can't find her and decide to complete the coverup by dumping the bodies of Oryo, the mayor, and Shion in the well to make it look like Mion did it.

Teppei arrives back in Hinamizawa. Satoko, unable to take the idea of living with him again, kills him with Hanyuu's help. For the rest of the arc she's forced to keep quiet by only answering phones. She swats away Keiichi's hand because she feels horrified at herself by what she's doing and is hugely regretting it.

Ooishi and the CWS head arrive at her house, and she lies and claims that Teppei already skipped town when he heard about the protests. The CWS guy leaves, Ooishi stays behind to question Satoko about both Teppei, her parents' death on a past Wataganashi, and Satoshi. Satoko, at Hanyuu's urging, begins to tell a story about how she discovered that Rika was behind everything; Ooishi, who is easily mislead, believes it. At the same time, Hanyuu begins influencing Ooishi to make him paranoid that he's seeing and hearing things. Satoko tells Keiichi over the phone that everything is all right, feeding him a bogus story.

Satoko invites Keiichi to her house to prevent him from being caught in the upcoming massacre. Her actual goal, however, really was to give Keiichi something that her brother owned: the sword that he held onto. She wants Keiichi to kill her with it, as Hanyuu is preventing her from doing it herself. Both of them are blindsided when someone strikes him on the head - I'm still unsure who, as this new episode implies that Ooishi did it as he's holding the bloody dented bat, but that would raise the question of who or what did Keiichi beat to death as Ooishi looks uninjured - as a message to Satoko to not go against the plan. Satoko runs off rather than try to help Keiichi or call the police because she knows there's nothing anyone can do to stop this. L5 Ooishi heads to the festival and commits a massacre, as a despondent Satoko walks up accepting what's happening.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this was actually stuff I conjectured last week, but this is more or less what I currently think is going on:

At some point in "the future," something terrible happens involving Rika and Satoko (who is this girl in the OP). Either Rika is somehow deathly ill, or Satoko can no longer manage her Syndrome with the medicine derived from Rika's queen parasite blood.

In the prototype for Higurashi, a short story called Hinamizawa Bus Stop, the main characters were an older Rika and a slightly younger Mion, who fulfilled more of a Satoko role as Rika's best friend and member of a poor family that supported the dam. Part of the plot of that involves a plot to have Rika's queen parasite transplanted into Mion, which has to be done quickly because Mion's parastie was aggravated by a trip out of Hinamizawa.

I think that's basically what happened in "the future" (which was, uh, before this): Rika decided to have the parasite transferred (possibly because it grants immunity to Syndrome symptoms and could save Satoko's life) at risk to herself. Something goes wrong and one or both of them dies, but not before the parasite is transferred. The queen parasite interacting with Satoko's aggravated parasites causes Hanyuu to "reawaken," but in a much worse form: the "demonic" Oyashiro that slew humans, that her own daughter Furude Ouka had to kill with the Onigari-no-ryuou sword. The TIP at the end of Episode 8 of the VN explained that the statue would open up and the sword emerge:

Satoko is now linked to Hanyuu. This Hanyuu is more malicious and wishes to exist forever within the looped time in a game with Rika and Satoko rather than disappear again. Hanyuu convinces Satoko that this would be a better outcome for all involved; she can live forever in a happy time period between the abusive home life with her uncle, and the time when both Satoko and Rika were doomed to die in the future. In other words, an eternal "remake," as opposed to Rika, who wants to move forward and escape to a "sequel."

Satoko loops back earlier than Rika (who is left with only a faint "remnant" of Hanyuu), and breaks into the storehouse as normally, but does not break the hand. Instead, she breaks open the head and steals the sword (though a fragment of it broke off as shown in this episode). Hanyuu does not want Rika to be able to permanently kill herself or Satoko with the blade. Satoshi finds out about the sword and holds onto it for Satoko (hiding it in the house somewhere) as there's no way to secretly return it, and he doesn't want the Hojo family to be ostracized even more.

Later down the line, Irie and Takano, while examining Satoko's syndrome, discover that something about her blood is acting similar to Rika's queen blood (due to Hanyuu's presence); this throws a wrench into Takano's scheme as her whole plan revolves around vindicating her grandfather's theories about the parasite and the queen in particular. She modifies her plan, meaning that the deaths on Wataganashi no longer happen.

-Keiichi, who has the power to twist fate, must always be taken out of the picture early. This is why he's always separated from the others at the end of each arc and prevented from being present at later events. Satoko may intervene to keep him alive.
-Rika and Satoko always die in different ways, because the method itself does not matter. The two have to keep looping, and death is the only way for that to happen. It changes each time to prevent Rika from figuring it out and being able to escape again.

Hanyuu begins to "haunt" Rena, just as her benevolent self did while apologizing when Rena's syndrome flared up in the past. Rena kills Rina/Teppei (or believes she did due a to a flashback). Keiichi hanging out at the dump asking about crimes, and calling Tomitake a spy (due to his own memories) makes Rena paranoid about them, especially when Keiichi is seen taking to Ooishi secretly. Rena watches them at Wataganashi, planning to "appease Oyashiro-sama" by killing and disappearing Tomitake and Takano, but the two of them unexpectedly leave on their own.

Terrified that Oyashiro-sama will take it out on her father for her "failure" to enact the curse, she decides that Keiichi and herself will be the sacrifices this year. Satoko, who has been observing this, intervenes after the fight at Keiichi's house by calling an ambulance to prevent Keiichi from bleeding out. The next day, wracked with guilt seeing Rika baffled and distraught at this unprecedented loop, Satoko confesses her role. Rika thinks that Satoko is succumbing to Syndrome at first and tries to subdue her with the medicine, only for a fight to break out. Rika is killed, and Satoko kills herself when Hanyuu tells her it's the only way to reset everything.

Satoko or Hanyuu somehow lead Shion and/or Mion to become suspicious of the Irie Clinic and the undercover Mountain Dogs, possibly even hinting that they're responsible for Satoshi's disappearance. The Sonozakis investigate and become more and more suspicious of them, as well as Rika for seemingly collaborating with them despite being one of the Heads of the Three Great Families. The other two Heads (Oryo and Mayor Kimiyoshi) try to confront them on Wataganashi and are kidnapped and/or killed. Shion, trying to investigate later, meets the same fate. Mion is left all by herself, and thinks she and Keiichi are next.

Rika, thinking that the loop is already doomed, taunts Keiichi openly about it during school. Both Satoko/Hanyuu and Mion witness this secretly. Satoko purposefully breaks up the discussion by rolling a ball into them. Hanyuu, angered that RIka is "not playing the game" decides that Rika has to die immediately as a "penalty," which Satoko does later. Mion assumes that Rika was threatening Keiichi, and that Satoko is on it when she casts suspicion on him for Rika's disappearance; Mion makes up a lie about "a construction worker" to save Keiichi and freaks out over her new belief that Rika is the mastermind. Meanwhile, the Mountain Dogs are freaking out over Rika mysteriously disappearing during school, and assume that Mion (as the remaining Sonozaki leader) is responsible as the family has already been opposing them.

Mion decides to shelter Keiichi in her underground safe room. The Mountain Dogs prepare to raid the estate looking for Rika. Satoko (whom Mion sees on the camera and calls a minion, thinking it's on Rika's behalf) attempts to defuse the situation as Rika is already dead and there's no more use for this. Things go sideways and both Satoko and Mion are shot by the Mountain Dogs, who notice that Mion was wielding a much larger caliber revolver. They take that gun and replace it with a smaller handgun that will match the bullet wounds on the two girls, and then search the estate for Rika. They can't find her and decide to complete the coverup by dumping the bodies of Oryo, the mayor, and Shion in the well to make it look like Mion did it.

Teppei arrives back in Hinamizawa. Satoko, unable to take the idea of living with him again, kills him with Hanyuu's help. For the rest of the arc she's forced to keep quiet by only answering phones. She swats away Keiichi's hand because she feels horrified at herself by what she's doing and is hugely regretting it.

Ooishi and the CWS head arrive at her house, and she lies and claims that Teppei already skipped town when he heard about the protests. The CWS guy leaves, Ooishi stays behind to question Satoko about both Teppei, her parents' death on a past Wataganashi, and Satoshi. Satoko, at Hanyuu's urging, begins to tell a story about how she discovered that Rika was behind everything; Ooishi, who is easily mislead, believes it. At the same time, Hanyuu begins influencing Ooishi to make him paranoid that he's seeing and hearing things. Satoko tells Keiichi over the phone that everything is all right, feeding him a bogus story.

Satoko invites Keiichi to her house to prevent him from being caught in the upcoming massacre. Her actual goal, however, really was to give Keiichi something that her brother owned: the sword that he held onto. She wants Keiichi to kill her with it, as Hanyuu is preventing her from doing it herself. Both of them are blindsided when someone strikes him on the head - I'm still unsure who, as this new episode implies that Ooishi did it as he's holding the bloody dented bat, but that would raise the question of who or what did Keiichi beat to death as Ooishi looks uninjured - as a message to Satoko to not go against the plan. Satoko runs off rather than try to help Keiichi or call the police because she knows there's nothing anyone can do to stop this. L5 Ooishi heads to the festival and commits a massacre, as a despondent Satoko walks up accepting what's happening.

Very interesting theory.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020

I like your theory quite a bit and it certainly would make for an interesting twist, but I'm a bit confused at the very last part:

Was Teppei in Satoko's house just a hallucination? It's pretty clear that he's the one beating the shit out of Keiichi from our perspective, so you are saying that he wasn't there when Ooishi arrived because he was long dead, and someone else whacks Keiichi, possibly Ooishi himself (despite the obvious contradiction)? I thought the implication of the bloody bat was that Ooishi had killed Tomitake and Takano given their absence (and the mention of their absence being made just before Ooishi comes into frame), but I do admit it's odd that he'd have the same weapon as false-Teppei. I'm not sure I like the idea of the show lying to us visually like that, as it normally just leaves things out rather than fabricating them wholesale, but I can get down with your theory otherwise.

I'm also very interested to learn exactly how Ooishi goes from fine to bananas that quickly. I'm a bit confused on how hard it is to make someone go level 5; we usually see a progressive madness, which at it's fastest takes a few days to escalate to its final form, or you need an injection to kickstart it. Ooishi seems to be totally calm before the CWS trip, so for him to go from what I assume is level 1 to level 5 in one day would be pretty unprecedented. Could Satoko flip his switch that quickly with Hanyuu's help? I suppose it's possible, but it does make me wonder.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
That was easily the best episode of the season, Rika's voice actress really nailed the despair and heartbreak she was feeling all episode.

I still think there is something up with Satako and I found myself straight up talking to my TV like "Satoko why are you doing this?"

Really curious to see what this new (I think brand new?) arc brings

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
lots and lots of cool stuff this episode but easily my number one "oh shit!" moment was scrubbing through the episode for any little things i missed and seeing rika's pillow here

60-A94196-D00-B-4640-8128-C5-ED5-BFE2-FB9.jpg

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
lots and lots of cool stuff this episode but easily my number one "oh shit!" moment was scrubbing through the episode for any little things i missed and seeing rika's pillow here

60-A94196-D00-B-4640-8128-C5-ED5-BFE2-FB9.jpg
Is this significant? Can't remember anything about a pillow off the top of my head

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I like your theory quite a bit and it certainly would make for an interesting twist, but I'm a bit confused at the very last part:

Was Teppei in Satoko's house just a hallucination? It's pretty clear that he's the one beating the shit out of Keiichi from our perspective, so you are saying that he wasn't there when Ooishi arrived because he was long dead, and someone else whacks Keiichi, possibly Ooishi himself (despite the obvious contradiction)? I thought the implication of the bloody bat was that Ooishi had killed Tomitake and Takano given their absence (and the mention of their absence being made just before Ooishi comes into frame), but I do admit it's odd that he'd have the same weapon as false-Teppei. I'm not sure I like the idea of the show lying to us visually like that, as it normally just leaves things out rather than fabricating them wholesale, but I can get down with your theory otherwise.

I'm also very interested to learn exactly how Ooishi goes from fine to bananas that quickly. I'm a bit confused on how hard it is to make someone go level 5; we usually see a progressive madness, which at it's fastest takes a few days to escalate to its final form, or you need an injection to kickstart it. Ooishi seems to be totally calm before the CWS trip, so for him to go from what I assume is level 1 to level 5 in one day would be pretty unprecedented. Could Satoko flip his switch that quickly with Hanyuu's help? I suppose it's possible, but it does make me wonder.
To be honest, that part threw me for a loop as well. I'm genuinely not sure what to make anymore of the final part of Tataridamashi and how it connects to the first episode of Nekodamashi with the bloody bat, as it raises a lot of questions. It's entirely possible I'm wrong there and Teppei was actually alive and there for that somehow... but then that would raise the question of how he'd be there, whether Ooishi somehow took the bat from the crime scene or it's just coincidentally has a nearly identical bat that's also bloodied and busted, how he made it to the festival first, (I guess he could have made it to the festival faster than Satoko because he has a car).

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017

Remember it's also possible to artificially induce L5 to someone through injecting a virus strain into their veins, i.e. what happens normally to Tomitake at most worlds.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Remember it's also possible to artificially induce L5 to someone through injecting a virus strain into their veins, i.e. what happens normally to Tomitake at most worlds.

You are correct, an injection is possible as I mentioned, but that raises the question in Crushed's theory on who did it to Ooishi: Satoko (how would she get a L5 syringe?), Takano (the usual syringe suspect), or someone else out of left field. He very clearly goes from fine to L5 in one day, so someone had to get to him.[/SPOLIER]

Oct 25, 2017
6517-FF4-C-E73-B-4-AC6-81-FD-236207558-FB4.webp

just a slightly ominous visual. hanyuu mentions rika's wine habit for the first time in gou this week as well—lots of bernkastel signposting
Can't forget Hanyuu's horn possibly being damaged which would point to a certain someone in the OP that hasn't appeared yet. Though it's also possible it could just be apart of her whole disappearance thing.