• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Higurashi-When-They-Cry-Gou-Key-Visual-2-e1602193268362.jpg

What is Higurashi?
It is horror/slice of life mix set in rural japanese village called Hinamizawa with cast of characters trying to break fate of dying and getting bad end.

Is Gou sequel to original Higurashi? Do I need to watch/read the original Higurashi?
While Gou tries to keep you up to speed how more or less the events happened in the original game/show, it assumes you have read/seen them. It is one of those faux remakes, when it is actually much more than that, spiraling into a sequel. If you don't have time to read the OG VN, the DEEN anime will do just fine.

What is Sotsu?
Sotsu is basically just Part 2 of Higurashi Gou, coming July 2021.
Ewxi6ERVIAI36T6.jpg

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
You mean it's not really a remake but a sequel?

2nKT.gif

Seriously, it seems like a bunch of Japanese media has played this trick lately. I half expected this to happen and I'd be have been more surprised if this was indeed a straight remake instead of a secret sequel.

Last edited:

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last year I binged the Higurashi anime and absolutely loved it. When I finished it I was sad that I missed out on its heyday, to think that the original anime was from freakin' 2006 and the last piece of Higurashi anime content was the Outbreak OVA in 2013 I think. I figured this series was 'complete' so to speak and never expected to see any more of it.

THEN BAM a few months later they announce a reboot. Felt like fate lol. I literally just hopped on the Higurashi train, and now they're putting more out?? And then it gets even better because BAM IT'S NOT A REBOOT IT'S A FUCKING SEQUEL!!

So yeah you could say I'm very hyped about all this.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is akiko shikata still doing the song?
dont watch ryukishi07's stuff but her songs are pretty dope

Oct 26, 2017
Yooo I was already invested in just a simple remake but a sequel has me fully invested. I don't know much about Umineko, but if this is a sequel to that too than this feels like a pretty ambitious project.

Oct 28, 2017
I binged watched the anime earlier this year and I absolutely loved it! I thought this was a simple remake so it wasn't on my radar but it's a sequel? Damn now I'm excited! I'll have to wait till all the episodes are out though (not a fan of waiting between episodes).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I should really finish the original series. I feel like I got most of the way through it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning to watch it since I was only ever interested in the VN, and never saw the original anime, but hearing about this yesterday definitely has me curious now.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yooo I was already invested in just a simple remake but a sequel has me fully invested. I don't know much about Umineko, but if this is a sequel to that too than this feels like a pretty ambitious project.
Yeah, there's been a character shown as a silhouette in the new anime that only appeared explicitly in Umineko.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was confused when I heard this was getting a remake when the original anime was well recieved and covered everything. Watched the recent episode and welp.....there it is..........

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a pretty casual fan. I watched the anime a very long time ago, and the OVAs as they came out. I know there's like 3 million VN story arcs, plus, I never got into Umineko. Wonder if I should still watch it.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
With this, it's like Rebuild of Evangelion really start some kind of "REMAKE" movement in Japanese media industry lol. Is there anything like this before Eva movie? Wonder what other series are gonna do this now that this seems to be a thing now.

Seems like I should finish Umineko VN before I jump on this. It's been in my library for a long time now.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea they made a new Higurashi series. Is it good? Gotta admit that I wasn't too hot on anything that followed the first season.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
Ohh, I'm intrigued now. I've looked at it and I thought well, old one was alright, I'll skip this for now.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I don't know whether to be excited or not. First time I played Umineko I was...really, really impressed by it and thought it was really deep and nothing short of a masterpiece. Nowadays when I look back on it, I kind of...don't like its themes all that much. Series was still really good and creative, just maybe not as good as teenage me thought it was.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I watched the original show when it came out but don't think I finished it, it was way too weird and the art was kinda-off putting, I might give it another go.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Catch me a couple years ago ad this would've excited me...I think Umineko ending the way it did and Circonia being extremely awful (IMO) just soured me on this guys entire body of work.

Tsukihime

Jun 29, 2020
The Moon
Higurashi and Umineko were some of my favorites as a teen. Now I'm cautiously optimistic. The first two episodes of the new show were pretty bad. Hopefully it picks up soon.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Knowing this I am certainly glad Mangagamer was able to get all the main chapters up on Steam before this came out.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've deliberately skipped all details in the OP beyond the vaguest information to get me to know I now want to watch this.

Problem now: I have no idea where to stream it in Germany but with English subs. First: No, I'm not using a piracy website. I know funimation has the license in the UK (and USA?) but they're not a supported option here, trying to visit the site just gets geoblocked. I guess I would need a vpn for that. It's not on crunchyroll or Netflix, and as far as I can tell, the site wakanim has the license but only will have German subs.

Don't suppose anyone knows any streaming service showing it in Germany and with English subs?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've deliberately skipped all details in the OP beyond the vaguest information to get me to know I now want to watch this.

Problem now: I have no idea where to stream it in Germany but with English subs. First: No, I'm not using a piracy website. I know funimation has the license in the UK (and USA?) but they're not a supported option here, trying to visit the site just gets geoblocked. I guess I would need a vpn for that. It's not on crunchyroll or Netflix, and as far as I can tell, the site wakanim has the license but only will have German subs.

Don't suppose anyone knows any streaming service showing it in Germany and with English subs?

Nah as a German (or even most other European country's) Anime fan you are pretty much forced to go to the dark side or just forget about Anime altogether. No one i know even bothers with the very few legal means to watch anything here these days since it's pretty much only old shit and that's it.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I have the same struggle here, it really sucks especially since Crunchyroll barely get's anything these days.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Freaking YO!!! I was already hyped just because I love Higurashi, but now I'm super pumped for new content!

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Just went through and watched both episodes. The song at the ending of the first episode had me freaking hyped! The animation is also super good.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post. I should've refreshed the page first.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I remember watching Higurashi over ten years ago. I don't even thing think I watched the second season. As for Umineko, again, I watched it a long time ago and remember almost nothing from it. Looks like I'm going to have to re-watch the original Higurashi's season's 1 and 2 and maybe even Umineko again before I even start watching this.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I remember watching Higurashi over ten years ago. I don't even thing think I watched the second season. As for Umineko, again, I watched it a long time ago and remember almost nothing from it. Looks like I'm going to have to re-watch the original Higurashi's season's 1 and 2 and maybe even Umineko again before I even start watching this.
You definitely need to watch the og Higurashi and Kai before this new one. Kai is so important to knowing what's going on.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to know this is a sequel. Looks promising so far. Though I need a refresher, the story ends with S2 right? And then the OVAs and a movie that came out after are just another "what if" scenario?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Last year I binged the Higurashi anime and absolutely loved it. When I finished it I was sad that I missed out on its heyday, to think that the original anime was from freakin' 2006 and the last piece of Higurashi anime content was the Outbreak OVA in 2013 I think. I figured this series was 'complete' so to speak and never expected to see any more of it.

THEN BAM a few months later they announce a reboot. Felt like fate lol. I literally just hopped on the Higurashi train, and now they're putting more out?? And then it gets even better because BAM IT'S NOT A REBOOT IT'S A FUCKING SEQUEL!!

So yeah you could say I'm very hyped about all this.
Does that anime cover all the VNs?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

-R07 wrote the whole plot for the new series
-Acknowledges that the start might seem "awkward" compared to the VN and original anime but says there's a reason for it
-The opening is indeed full of hints for what's going on and people should look through it for clues
-Notes Rika being highlighted and revealed as the true protagonist so early on obviously means that either the story is going to go really fast or that the turning point for this new series is going to be totally different (said in a way that really implies the latter)
-You'll see a "new side" to Rika

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that revelation blew me the fuck away. I'm all aboard for R07's wild ride. Again.

Also the new OP is actually pretty great.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Incredible. Too bad checking the Umineko subreddit out of the blue last night told me something would be up, but I'm all for this, especially knowing Ryukishi is writing it and not some amateurs. Here's hoping Ciconia Phase 2 also releases this year.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've had this on my switch for ages and still haven't gotten around to it. Really need to change that