• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the name really High Score?

The page on Netflix says GDLK

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The episode on Doom is going to be WILD. Wolf of Wall Street-lite.
tumblr_n081mz8D831qgsxxvo1_400.gifv

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What territory are you in? Searching GDLK on google does bring up a link for it but then directs to what I posted. Looks like its maybe in Portuguese?

I'm in Brazil so yeah, it's in portuguese. I guess they chose a completely different title for my country then.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Is this documentary about today? We are currently living the golden age of videogames and it's amazing.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Ok it's David Hayter. I'm sure now.
No wait. Actually it's Keanu Reeves. Definitely.
NO WAIT. IT'S ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER ISN'T IT?

I get the sense it is focused on video game consoles with a dash of landmark PC games from a certain era (Doom).

There is definitely a special foundational period in consoles from 1985 to 1995, before the Playstation brand altered the course of the console market. Fierce competition between companies and developers, but in a market that was still focused primarily on kids, geeks, and pure enthusiasts.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I'm working up a review of the new Netflix documentary series "High Score" about video game history for @arstechnica, that'll go live next week before its Aug 19 premiere. In the meantime, they let us announce one really cool thing. It's-a @CharlesMartinet!

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
(Charles Martinet is the voice actor for Mario, for those who may not know)

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume he's contractually bound to not say anything negative about Nintendo, so this will probably be a sugarcoated version of history.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
missed the chance to call it "The Games That Made Us"

But hot damn, Mario is gonna narrate? That's super cool. Hope that this turns out to be interesting & not the 20th retelling of the same stories we've heard already.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
My good buddy and overall amazing human being Chris Tang is in this! Sega World Champion, and sort of a real life iron man, heart of gold dude.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The golden age of video games was the ps2 and GameCube era, and I say this as somebody that played through the two generations prior to that. I may be cheating as I also include Dreamcast in that generation.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really a fan of the motion graphics stuff but I get that they're going for mass appeal from the mainstream and / or people who fell off games in the 80s and 90s.

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
I have hopes, but my concern is that this series might just focus in on only the top brands of the 1980s and some 1990s stuff. Not that I'm wanting only super obscure stuff, but when you see a video game series and the intro begins with Pong, Breakout, Donkey Kong, and Pac-Man, you know you're going to get the same content covered as so many other mainstream gaming documentaries and history books cover. Not that those topics shouldn't be covered, but it also continually erodes the history of everything else over time.

Will we see anything about the mid-1990s onward or into the 2000s at all? Will we hear about franchises (or even game companies) that lived and died in the 90s or 00s and not just the arcade oldies? Will there be any discussion about more than the surface-level commentary - such as preservation and the rise of digital distribution, rom hacking, and indie game development? Anything about the consoles that tried to get in and failed? Interviews with the game creators?

I'm curious if all else.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really expecting to hear about preservation or rom hacking. The average person who plays games doesn't care about that.

We'll see stuff about Pac Mania, the response to the gore in MK, SEGA vs Nintendo, and the average run-of-the-mill "oh man I loved [arcade game] and spent all my of quarters in that pizza shop!" stories. It'll be fun but I'm not expecting to see anything new, really, and that's OK with me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will put thread on watch and check this out. Video game history 80s-2000s is one of my favorite subjects in film and literature. Wish Console Wars has been adapted to screen
The closest we got to that was the BBC's fantastic drama Micro Men. Which chartered the very British competition between the ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro home computers. Really interesting from a gaming perspective as the ZX Spectrum's huge success in the UK was thanks to its gaming library, much to its creator Clive Sinclair's frustration as he hated games and it was never intended to be a gaming machine. Very interesting watch.

Oct 27, 2017
The closest we got to that was the BBC's fantastic drama Micro Men. Which chartered the very British competition between the ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro home computers. Really interesting from a gaming perspective as the ZX Spectrum's huge success in the UK was thanks to its gaming library, much to its creator Clive Sinclair's frustration as he hated games and it was never intended to be a gaming machine. Very interesting watch.
I never experienced that era but I will check out the show if I can find it streaming, thanks!

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for this!

Usually what's the length of an episode in this case?

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here's my review:

arstechnica.com

High Score review: Netflix’s story of gaming’s “golden age” is honestly solid

The good outweighs the bad, though weird interview choices add unfortunate bloat.

If you want to enjoy the series uncritically and deal with a mix of storytelling delights and slower, "Guess I'll check my phone for a few minutes" segments, High Score has enough good content to sit through. This is boosted significantly by Charles Martinet as narrator; you may recognize his voice as that of Super Mario and other famous Nintendo characters, and he handles his humorous-enough script with a gentle cadence. (No, he never sneaks an "it's-a me!" into the series. Super Mario receives paltry lip service through the course of High Score, honestly.)

Just be warned that some uneven interview choices and leaps past significant game-history developments will leave anybody knowledgeable about gaming history yelling at their TV. Your favorite console, arcade, portable, or PC game from the era in question is, in all likelihood, not given enough time or coverage by Netflix's filming crew. (I, for example, couldn't believe how little was said about Tetris. Tetris!)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Here's my review:

arstechnica.com

High Score review: Netflix’s story of gaming’s “golden age” is honestly solid

The good outweighs the bad, though weird interview choices add unfortunate bloat.
Am I right in assuming that the show is also very much focused on what was happening in the US? And ignoring the fact that in the UK and a good chunk of Europe in the 80s, we were playing on C64/Spectrum etc and games like Paradroid and Dizzy? And certainly not consoles. Even in the early 90s the Megadrive and SNES had tough competition from Amiga here. I ask because so many of these types of documentaries fail to realise how the gaming industry wasn't globalised back then and the famous "crash" never happened in Europe where we didn't give a shit about Atari in the first place.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Am I right in assuming that the show is also very much focused on what was happening in the US? And ignoring the fact that in the UK and a good chunk of Europe in the 80s, we were playing on C64/Spectrum etc and games like Paradroid and Dizzy? And certainly not consoles. Even in the early 90s the Megadrive and SNES had tough competition from Amiga here. I ask because so many of these types of documentaries fail to realise how the gaming industry wasn't globalised back then and the famous "crash" never happened in Europe where we didn't give a shit about Atari in the first place.

Oh, I have awful news for you. Nothing you mentioned exists in this series' chronology.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sounds good. Hoping it isn't sweary. Netflix have a really bad record of making stuff that I would watch with my kids, and then dropping in randomly sweary stuff in the middle of it. Bit annoyed at Star Trek Discovery for that one.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After that one Anime documentary which was just an advertisment for Netflixs originals and now seeing the trailer for this...nya... :(

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

I'm working up a review of the new Netflix documentary series "High Score" about video game history for @arstechnica, that'll go live next week before its Aug 19 premiere. In the meantime, they let us announce one really cool thing. It's-a @CharlesMartinet!

Fuck i was going to watch it in spanish first because i usually watch documentaries while im working but this being Charles Martinet...
If the narrator its not Jose Padilla in spanish (and im sure thats not going to happen) im waiting to have some free time to watch it in english.