• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
High Score is a Netflix documentary series about 'golden age' of games

Netflix isn't just making TV or film adaptations out of every video game under the sun — it's also releasing documentaries about video games. High Score is a six-episode Netflix documentary premiering on Wednesday, Aug. 19 about the "golden age of video games" and "revolutionary stages of gaming." Explicit topics for each episode in the series haven't been specified, but Nintendo, Sega, Space Invaders, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, Madden NFL, Pac-Man, and Doom are all cited in promotional materials. I'm more than willing to watch any documentary that talks about Final Fantasy.

This will be a fun watch.

highscorenetflix9.jpg

highscorenetflix8.jpg

highscorenetflix4.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Will put thread on watch and check this out. Video game history 80s-2000s is one of my favorite subjects in film and literature. Wish Console Wars has been adapted to screen

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Really cool. I've been really interested in video game history lately. I'm reading Console Wars right now and I've been watching a lot of videos about the industry in the late 90s / early 00s. Definitely gonna watch this (and the PlayStation doc that comes out in September).

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Title lied. Golden Age is Pong thru to the Video Game Crash of '83. There should be nothing about Nintendo post-Donkey Kong in such a doc, let alone MK and Doom.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will check this out, in fact my niece is fascinated with this sort of stuff so first time she is over after it drops maybe I can get her to watch this instead of another round of Simpson's or Bob's Burgers-again.

Not sure on a technical level the golden age even extends to SFII or Doom, but stillreally excited to see what they have to say, no need to nitpick when good docs on the subject are few and far between.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see if they used the Netflix brand as clout to get interviews with people who might not have given them to most documentary teams. I'll watch it anyway but if it could be something like The Last Dance for video games ( for all that TLD has obvious flaws) it would be awesome.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CBS All Access is making not only a documentary of Console Wars, but also a scripted series as well.
i might sub just to watch. really hope we get more like this from netflix. they got the toys/movies that made us on netflix so maybe they can add the games that made us in the future in the same style.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Interesting: for me, now is the golden age though: they are finally making the games I've always dreamed of, CP2077 etc, but this earlier golden age seems viable too.

the chris

Dec 31, 2017
I hope this doesn't have the same type of tone that "The Toys that Made Us" has. The narrator on that show annoys me, and it seems to be laughing more at it's content instead of laughing with some of the more ridiculous content.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't have the same type of tone that "The Toys that Made Us" has. The narrator on that show annoys me, and it seems to be laughing more at it's content instead of laughing with some of the more ridiculous content.

The toys that made us also has a dubious production quality. They cropped and used a photo in the my little pony episode without acknowledging or crediting the original photographer.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think that period is a bit broad to be considered "the golden age" but I also think the golden age is a terrible description anyway

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "golden age" was the Atari/Arcade era? Golden age doesn't necessarily mean best age, often it's just the first period of major significance, like the golden age of comics.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the "golden age" was the Atari/Arcade era? Golden age doesn't necessarily mean best age, often it's just the first period of major significance, like the golden age of comics.
Being a bit older than most around here, the golden age of gaming was from 1980-1984 or so. For home it was the Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision. That was the golden age of gaming at least in my opinion.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hah, they haven't announced who this series' narrator is. Y'all will probably enjoy that.

I'll have more on this series in the future...

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just guessing based on the content and tone described in the OP, but is this a documentary purely/primarily about the American video game market around this time? Madden NFL is a bit of an odd pull next to Final Fantasy and Space Invaders.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Billy Mitchell will sue the doc creators if they call him a cheater.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The episode on Doom is going to be WILD. Wolf of Wall Street-lite.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, is there a trailer?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
happy for this but would still like to see one of these services pick up Outerlands already