• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I know we have had many threads on people going college and university, but I was wondering if there are any people on this site that dropped out of high school?
What happened? Did you go back, get your GED, start a business, just worked instead?

Growing up I was a solid C- to a D student, I had no interest in going to classes or trying at anything academic at all. Since my parents didn`t have a lot of money and couldn`t afford to put me in daycare I basically went to work with my dad, I basically grew up on construction sites since I was about 10-11. Sweeping, cleaning, carting wood, then eventually measuring cutting, framing, concrete and what not.
My mother passed away from ovarian Cancer and when I was in grade 11 my dad said there was no money for University so If I wanted to go I would have to get a scholarship, or a loan, or work.
Well being 16 and filled with piss and Vinegar, and more balls than brains. I left high school moved out and went to start working. The next few years are a bit of a blur...

-I joined the Reservoirs (Artillery Hooah!)
-Worked landscaping, dish washer, short order cook, day laborer, warehouses and so forth.
-Then I went up north to work in the oil fields. Now I know people here are not fans of oil Companies but they treated me right. Gave me room and board in Camp, paid me really well, benefits, training. They apprenticed me, sent me to school and paid for everything all my schooling paid my wages while in school bought all my tools. Also for the first time in my life
I actually tried in school, I was awarded top student I had straight A`s.
-I continued to work up north I worked in plus 40 to -45 degrees, 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I spent any and all my free time studying and taking on-line courses.
-I become one of the youngest general foreman.
-I took every training course offered, I abused every companies training budget and proceeded to get 3 trade tickets, and power Eng. degree.
-I proceeded to work for different companies, I did a massive amount of traveling working on pumps, compressors and turbines all over the world.
-Over the years I worked agriculture, oil and gas, water, refineries, steel, logging.
-I met the women that become my wife, she got a little tired of me being on the road all the time so now I own a house in the burbs with a cushy government job.

Sometimes I wonder if I missed out on anything not going to University what experiences I would have had where a different path might have gone.
but at the same time I don`t think my life would be better than I have it now. I realize I`m privileged because I have always found life to be very easy. Whenever I want something or wanted to do something I just did it, and fortunately my back was always strong enough to back up what ever my mouth said.

That was a quick rundown of the last 24 years. I would love to hear your stories.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was an A/A+ student until social anxiety, autism, and gender dysphoria got the best of me in middle school.

Dropped out at high school, self-taught/homeschooled. Got my GED when I turned 18.

Dealt with some real life stuff after that.

Once I got that taken care of, went to a trade school, which is where I'm at now. Working as an IT Technician, going for my CompTIA A+ certification next Wednesday. Got the Academic Award two terms in a row for a 3.5 GPA or higher.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My uncle is a high school dropout but now owns his own construction business and does well for himself. You can definitely make it, but it's not easy.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Was an A/A+ student until social anxiety, autism, and gender dysphoria got the best of me in middle school.

Dropped out at high school, self-taught/homeschooled. Got my GED when I turned 18.

Once I got that taken care of, went to a trade school, which is where I'm at now. Working as an IT Technician, going for my CompTIA A+ certification next Wednesday. Got the Academic Award two terms in a row for a 3.5 GPA or higher.

Congratulations on the Academic Awards I know how tough those are to get.

I know not every story people have are happy ones, but sometimes its good to read about experiences that aren`t always doom and gloom.
Your life inst immediately over if you dont follow a perfect path at a young age.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped out. Took the CSHPE (California High School Proficiency Exam) a few months later. Mom made it seem like it was the end of the world

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped out 2 months before the end of my senior year. i had known i wasnt going to graduate since the beginning of the year so imagine how i felt going to school everyday. when i dropped out i told my friends that i had graduated early cause i didnt want to admit i had dropped out.
i was a drop out for a couple years until i got my ged. i took that test with literally no sleep and i didn't study one bit for it despite being out of school for so long but somehow i passed everything on the first try. i didn't even do the writing part tbh. my essay for the test was just me complaining about being expected to write a 4-7 paragarph essay based on around a topic i literally know nothing about. im in the process of trying to get back on track and go back to school but i honestly dont know what i want to study and i've developed pretty bad anxiety since trump took office so im kinda lost tbh. its not like i was ever a bad student tbh i was just so fed up with my life when i a teen because the only thing anyone ever cared about was school school school. i felt like i literally had nothing else in my life so i just stopped giving a shit. it doesnt help that i wasnt ever allowed to go out and be a teenager.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on the Academic Awards I know how tough those are to get.

I know not every story people have are happy ones, but sometimes its good to read about experiences that aren`t always doom and gloom.
Your life inst immediately over if you dont follow a perfect path at a young age.

Waiting I think made everything better. Not only did I get to sort out a lot of the aforementioned issues in my life, but I also learned more about trade schools. The hands on experience I get here working with IT (vs being in a classroom) is wonderful, I love it, and employers love it. When I leave here, I'll eventually be making $50,000 a year or more with a bit of time in the field.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Dropped out junior year due to myriad of things and got a shitty studio in the middle of nowhere. Went to night school and worked retail full time. Still working the same job since it pays really good and started college back in 2017. Planning on enlisting for the air-force next year.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Ayy, congratulations in advance on the certification! I'm working on getting mine myself.

Dec 2, 2017
I dropped out in my final year (Irish high school). I just wasn't in the right place for my mental health or the mindset of finishing school either. It's taken me 8 years since then to work my way to university.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped out of high school due to just plain depression and other bullshit. I got my GED about a year or so later then tried to go to community college, but didn't really try.

I smoked too much weed. Played too many video games (damn you WoW). Was basically floundering around doing nothing. I met the coolest girl through the internet and we became friends, then more than friends. I was actually happy there for a little bit.

She convinced me that I needed to go back to school and make something of myself. I decided to give it a real shot. I started reading more books, going to class, trying. I made straight As all the way through CC and went to the University of Florida. The distance got to be too much for me and the girl, but we are still friends.

I got a Bachelors in Biology with a Biotech focus, and unfortunately graduated right when NIH budget cuts forced the closure of the place I really wanted to work. I went back to school again just to get a decent job, and now I work as a Medical Lab Scientist at the hospital, mainly doing Blood Banking. I am lately getting the itch to go into a career with computers, so I might go back to school for a CS degree or something.

There's a ton of things I would change if I could, but I am not unhappy with my journey.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Op did it right . I had a friend same way worked in a mill most of his life but when that mill had voluntary buyouts he jumped on it because by then he had every ticket available including electrician journeyman .

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm a high school drop out. I was charged with criminal truancy. I ended up having to do lots of community service and was court ordered to get my GED which was a good thing because I got it about two weeks after I dropped out. I eventually went on to go to community college then university and am about to graduate in Spring with honors. I'm in the process of applying to grad schools as well. I struggled with my mental health far more then than I do now which lead to me not wanting to go to high school. I took the path of most resistance and it's surreal to think I'll be graduating college soon. I'm doing pretty well.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Op did it right . I had a friend same way worked in a mill most of his life but when that mill had voluntary buyouts he jumped on it because by then he had every ticket available including electrician journeyman .

I was blown away when I first starting asking companies if they had training budget for schooling. Most of them said yes, but they were never utilized by most people. I hope your friend is doing incredibility well now.

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped out at 16, and got my GED a week or two later and enrolled at community college, and then went to university a couple years after that. Currently working on my MA, and then I'll probably be all done with school. If I stayed any longer in HS, it probably would have been worse for me. There wasn't any real challenge, and I had a lot of bad influences there.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a high school drop out. I was charged with criminal truancy. I ended up having to do lots of community service and was court ordered to get my GED which was a good thing because I got it about two weeks after I dropped out. I eventually went on to go to community college then university and am about to graduate in Spring with honors. I'm in the process of applying to grad schools as well. I struggled with my mental health far more then than I do now which lead to me not wanting to go to high school. I took the path of most resistance and it's surreal to think I'll be graduating college soon. I'm doing pretty well.

That part made me smile, its awesome to read about people that ran into a few road blocks but are doing better now.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
That part made me smile, its awesome to read about people that ran into a few road blocks but are doing better now.

I agree! It's awesome reading the stories in here of people doing better, yours included! It really wasn't till I was talking to my advisors about applying to grad school did it hit me. She told me not to hide the fact that I dropped out. She told me to use it show how far I've come and that I can overcome adversity. It's not something that I should be ashamed of but be proud of now.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I dropped out, was on like a 6 year track after pretty much blowing my entire sophomore and junior years. I ended up in a really cool alternative school and was planning to stick it out but then I learned the GED isn't that bad and I could still go to college with one. So I dropped out and enrolled in CC before I even knew if I passed the test. Ended up scoring really high on the GED test and went on my way thankfully.

As long as you get a GED then your life isn't over after dropping out like they make it seem like. I'm not rich but I have a decent career in IT and hopefully soon a software developer.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

Hell yeah thats awesome! Great decision to go to trade school for IT. I hope it all works out for you and good luck with the A+.

I graduated from trade school in 2015 with an AAS in networking and CCNA. I now make several hundred thousand a year doing cybersecurity. Don't let anyone ever look down on you for going to trade school. More people should take that route actually.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't drop out of high school, but I was a horrible student for many of the same reasons stated here - depression, etc. Managed a state school scholarship on test scores alone and dropped out of college a year later.

Went back several years later and am now a year out from finishing a PhD. Just needed time and space away from my family and situation, I think, and to make my own way. I think sharing these stories is really important. I teach too and end up counseling a lot of students who are thinking about dropping out, taking time, etc. It's been really fulfilling helping students figure shit out.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I couldn't sit through an entire day of school if you paid me... which one of my teachers tried lol. I got a GED and started at a small software developer as an office assistant. 20 years and several promotions later, I'm the only Technical Analyst at the company, and it's grown to be #1 in our industry.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah thats awesome! Great decision to go to trade school for IT. I hope it all works out for you and good luck with the A+.

I graduated from trade school in 2015 with an AAS in networking and CCNA. I now make several hundred thousand a year doing cybersecurity. Don't let anyone ever look down on you for going to trade school. More people should take that route actually.
I couldn't agree more, even people that want to go on and be Engineers spending a few years in the trades will put you so far ahead of everyone else you will work with. You can tell when something was designed and built by someone with a trades background. It just makes maintaining it a pleasure instead of a nightmare.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I did graduate, but... If I can be honest, if I hadn't graduated on time (there was some weird wonkiness with some of my credits and stuff for a bit), I'd likely had dropped out. I was dealing with serious depression, struggling with my sexuality, and to top it off: The idea of everyone leaving me behind and having no one.

...and ultimately, it feels like the latter did end up happening, so I suppose I was worrying about something that ultimately would happen regardless of what I did, but... I don't know. I wish my social system was a bit better.

Still, I'm glad to hear stories of people pursuing something post-education (GED, trades, etc.,) and I still haven't done a damn thing in my life since graduating.

My attempt to going to college a couple years later, I ended up having a mental meltdown within the first 3 weeks and dropped out.

Sometimes I feel like I never did end up graduating, and often have nightmares of failing High School, constantly. Dropping out of College didn't help, either, but ultimately my mental health declined absolutely abysmally that it was the better option.

Between the costs, not being able to relate to my peers (plus my mental development is definitely not where my age is, by any means, still trying to get testing done for this), which was a constant issue during the three weeks I was there, plus it felt clicky as all hell and feeling like I didn't understand any of the general education courses I took...

Sigh, I don't know what to do.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't drop out of high school, but I was a horrible student for many of the same reasons stated here - depression, etc. Managed a state school scholarship on test scores alone and dropped out of college a year later.

Went back several years later and am now a year out from finishing a PhD. Just needed time and space away from my family and situation, I think, and to make my own way. I think sharing these stories is really important. I teach too and end up counseling a lot of students who are thinking about dropping out, taking time, etc. It's been really fulfilling helping students figure shit out.
Thank you for taking up such a important and probably a little thankless job of counseling little shits like myself. lol

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there! I was a high school drop out! Have a bachelors degree now and working an office job that is about as happy as can reasonably be expected.

I went to a private catholic school for three years, always a D to F student, passing just barely enough classes to retake two in summer and retake others the next year, just barely keeping up enough to not stay back. I could go into why this was the case but, closet gay, closet trans, Catholic school, etc. You get the idea. They kicked me out after my junior year, which they would do a lot to keep their "99% of our students go on to college" statistic in check, etc. I had also clashed a bit with staff.

After that I went to public school my senior year, everything was new, couldn't handle it. Pretty much started skipping all my classes and never going. I had lots of friends but I was spending most of my nights on the internet and sleeping through the days, and my parents never questioned my lies when I covered things up as they were dealing with their own shit. So I dropped out in the second semester.

After high school I went straight into night school the next year, this was probably around the time my life started getting better. Still depressed but with things being easier and getting little victories in school, I started caring more and getting good grades, which was also the case whenever I went to summer school, basically a wake-up moment.

Then community college for three years. Then I managed to get into a modest but actual four year school. Started getting to do the things I wanted to do with my life. Came out as trans and gay. Started living. Graduated. Had some bad jobs, had some good jobs. For the first time I have a girlfriend I've been with for longer than 6 months, and I'm happy. Work still feels like a grind, but it's one I can live doing everyday.

What's really crazy about it is I still to this day have dreams about being a high school or college fuck up. Things in my life are better and I'm really glad to be out of that state of my life, but it stays with you.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to all the successes out there, and those not so far off along. I'm working on my story right now, and I'm feeling pretty good. Cheers.

OP
OP

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
hey just wanted to say thank-you all for sharing your stories, honestly I hesitated making this thread because I was expecting a tiny bit of backlash.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped going to school when I was like 11 or so. I was skipping like crazy and generally being out of control. Finally, when I was 16, I dropped out. Re-enrolled when I was 18, but only lasted a couple months and dropped out again. Couple years later, I was engaged, working a solid job in a big company... and I started to see the direction my life was going in and hated it. The engagement fell apart, I quit my job, got my GED, burned through my savings doing volunteer work, and got into university. Going into my second year in September. When I started having trouble in classes here, I sought help and found out that a lot of my original issues with school stemmed from a learning disability, which I'm getting treated for now. Wish I'd done it sooner. I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm still young enough to relate to the people around me, which is nice. It's a pretty good life, I've gotta say.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Got sick in grade 6 which made me miss my first year of high school, led to depression, anxiety, suicidal tendencies, an eating disorder/addiction and obesity. Was distance schooled until grade 10 when my mental issues were at their worst and dropped out having only finished up to Grade 9. Lots of life happened, worked on myself a lot with the help of some great councillors, therapists, support staff, and friends. Worked the mandatory shitty fast food job, did a couple of years of TAFE while figuring out what to do with my life, lost a shit tonne of weight and got my eating disorder under control. Now I'm working my way towards my Bachelor of Computer Science.

Life's weird man but somehow the ship tends to right itself more often than not. Fuck if I know how, but I'm thankful to still be here to experience this rollercoaster.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Good luck with your CompTIA A+. Seems like you're doing well. You aiming for a career specialising in servers or networks? There's courses for those too you can try further down the line once you've built up your experience in IT a bit. Personally I never actually gained any IT certification but through sheer luck kept getting good IT contracts at many government organisations through just good interviews and contacts at agencies, been in IT now for a good 7-8 years and the only course I took was a night class course for Windows Server 2013 three to four years ago (MCSE course). Trouble with them is they get outdated so fast, so I really just use them to propel me into whatever career I want it to and don't worry about keeping the certification current.

IT is a great career choice though, lots of career prospects and it's the way forward and you'll meet a wide array of people in the industry. Contracting is the best though. If you're willing to take risks and get ahead faster, it's what I recommend but it just depends how confident you feel about going head first into potentially intermediate level jobs. Most start with Helpdesk/Service Desk roles, I was lucky enough to start in IT Projects (still did a good stint on Helpdesk for a couple of years though after that).

Network roles and Server roles pay big bucks, although you're probably already aware of this. As does IT Project roles (both technical and admin roles). Best of luck with whatever you decide to do going forward.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I dropped out in year 8. I was suffering chronic depression and had an extremely dysfunction, abusive home. I fell into a blackhole for most of my teen years. At 19 I got a job in a store, eventually became a manager and traveled the world. Last year I signed up for University and am currently completing a diploma of business management. More for myself just to say I'm no longer "just" a drop-out.

Oct 28, 2017
I was a solid student who dropped out because I wanted to sit in my girlfriend's basement with her and smoke pot and have sex all day. We dropped out together, it was wonderful. Got my GED, and ended up going to film school and getting a bs degree from community college. Currently working at Volkswagen with no student debt whatsoever.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I became agoraphobic. So didn't finish secondary school.

I don't have a job, or any qualifications either.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My wife was kept out of school for most of her life on the pretense that she wasn't physically strong enough for it, but mostly because her family liked having a house servant to watch her youngest siblings and take care of the house. They are real pieces of shit.

Now my wife is currently working at a job that pays twice what I ever made despite my going to college... so yeah, sometimes things just work out. Having connections helped a lot and I'd say are definitely more important in the long run than a piece of paper.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Dropped out of high school after several years of being held back in the early 2000s because I simply cut class all of the time. Got my GED pretty easily in 2007 and kinda coasted by for several years again.

I eventually went to a great community college in 2012 (Borough of Manhattan Community College) and after finishing my associates, I transferred all of my credits to Brooklyn College, which was thankfully an easy process because it was under the CUNY system along with my community college.

I finished getting my bachelor's in Television and Radio (basically general media studies) last year, and have had trouble getting work since. I'm currently doing some work in an unrelated field and am working on getting my drivers license, which really opens up a ton of job opportunities.

My current position also has a strong chance of getting me into a job with Google if I impress them enough, so I guess I'm in a pretty alright spot.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats! That's an impressive number, I can't imagine making that much per year. Is this your own company?

Thanks! I do consulting actually. It's very hard work and long hours so can't say it's all great. On pace to retire early because no way I can keep this up for another 35 years.

Not having any student debt due to going to trade school has really helped out in getting ahead financially too (it was like 10k total and paid it via internships). Another reason to go that route.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I was blown away when I first starting asking companies if they had training budget for schooling. Most of them said yes, but they were never utilized by most people. I hope your friend is doing incredibility well now.
He likes money so he works out at camps but yeah he does just fine . Had a house at 23 and a Boxter S at 30 .
In fact if you play it right you could make more money by continually working than stopping to go to college . You can always do upgrading while working . I would have never done masters unless I could work as well. Quitting would have never helped me masters or not.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I do consulting actually. It's very hard work and long hours so can't say it's all great. On pace to retire early because no way I can keep this up for another 35 years.

Not having any student debt due to going to trade school has really helped out in getting ahead financially too (it was like 10k total and paid it via internships). Another reason to go that route.
I agree with going that route. If a person already has an idea with what they want to do and there are vocational/trade programs available, they should jump on it.

On that note, if there's anyone reading this thread that's interested in Software Engineering/Development and doesn't have a formal degree, IBM has apprenticeships currently available in Texas, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Arizona (link). I believe they also offer them in the Bay Area, in SF and San Jose, but they're currently unavailable (my wife is waiting for those listings to open up).

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I was never a great student despite how smart I was as a kid. I think school just bored me and didn't challenge me in the right way. I would ace tests but not do any homework, resulting in poor overall grades, which frustrated my parents and teachers to no end. I stayed in high school for the full four years, failing classes here and there, and in my senior year I basically stopped trying altogether. When it came time for graduation I was a handful of credits short. I tried summer school for about a week and then peaced out because I just didn't give a shit. As an aside, while I was flunking out of school I took the ACT just to see what I would get and scored in the top 1% in the country.

I wound up getting a GED a little while later (which was laughably easy) and used that to attend community college without a clear idea of what I actually wanted to do. My first couple of semesters went incredibly well, but once again boredom set in and I dropped out a few classes short of a general AA degree. I had been working in a kitchen part-time, but with school no longer a concern I worked there full time for a couple of years until I decided to quit and give college another shot.

Went back to the same community college, this time pursuing a Computer Science degree. Again, the first few semesters went incredibly well, but again, I got bored and quit just short of the goal. This time around I had been working part-time at Best Buy, and after I quit school I interviewed for full-time Geek Squad and got the job. Working in Geek Squad was the first time in my life I felt like I was somewhere I belonged. I liked the work and I loved my co-workers, and the amount of practical education I received was leaps and bounds ahead of anything I had ever been taught in a classroom. But it didn't pay that great and the amount of stress that comes with Agent life is just unsustainable over a long period of time.

After two years in Geek Squad I started applying for every entry-level IT job I could find, but without any formal degrees or certifications to my name I didn't get a lot of callbacks. I knew that if I could just get my foot in the door I would impress the interviewers face-to-face. Eventually somebody took a chance on me and now I'm working in the IT department at the local office for a major grocery wholesaler. The pay is much better than I could have reasonably hoped for, there's a lot of opportunity for advancement, and I feel so much more mentally healthy not having to work in a retail environment.

I turned 30 this year and for the first time in my adult life I feel like I'm in a good place. I'm frustrated because I feel like I wasted my 20s and would give anything to go back a decade and do it all over again, but such is life. I'm hopeful for what my 30s will bring.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017
Never got into the school system until college (long horrible family related story) so when I got to community college I had to get entrance tested, then I got an acceptance letter, I later was told I need to take an exam called "ability to benefit" since I was essentially self-taught. I passed this and received a certificate of successful completion. I was under the impression this was High School/GED equivalent.

I went on to gain 63 credits, however, I didn't graduate since I did not know I wasn't talking all of the required classes for a general studies degree...

So what is my best course of action? I have a solid job as a manager for a security company. (Had to complete multiple unrelated training courses) now 29 years old.

Am I good as is just with the certificate and college transcripts? Should I go back and get a GED and or AA degree? Would this prevent me from say joining the National Gaurd?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I turned 30 this year and for the first time in my adult life I feel like I'm in a good place. I'm frustrated because I feel like I wasted my 20s and would give anything to go back a decade and do it all over again, but such is life. I'm hopeful for what my 30s will bring.

I know that feeling. I dropped out of high school and didn't go to college until i was almost 24. I needed to pass a math and English test to get in. After finishing my two year Computer Engineering course I got a job at a small business, and stayed there for a year.

After that i lucked out and got a job for a school board so now I have a much higher salary, benefits, vacation days, etc. My office is in the high school i dropped out of, funny how that works.

I've been here for about 9 or so months and couldn't be happier. I'm 27 now and for years I've always felt like i was behind and had to catch up to other people my age. Only after getting this job did i finally start feeling like i was ahead. I still wonder though what my life would of turned out like if i actually took education seriously before