• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Miyazaki agreed. The Dark Souls director said the creation of a world and the levels can affect the story, so it often doesn't make sense to start from there. He believes that gameplay is the soul of a game. Once that's in place, he can form a story that fits and augments the experience. That process then influences the story, which also influences the gameplay. "You're playing with clay and it slowly comes into focus," Miyazaki explained.

The FromSoftware boss was quick to point out, however, that this isn't the only way to see game design. He'd love to create a game one day where story is the focal point, much like Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2, which he specifically namechecked. Miyazaki also said he needs to get better at communicating the story of his games to the team, who often don't understand the overall plot of the games they're working on.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Have no issue with a story focused game from Miyazaki as I'm confident the gameplay would be stellar.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would like them to take another step towards a more story-driven narrative, but retain their unique style of world-building and lore through items, small optional interactions, and quirky characters. Having reached the end of Sekiro, I actually really like the small touches to the characters, though most of them are optional and easy to miss. They are a bit more straightforward than before, but I'd like to see what an even more story-driven FromSoft game would be like.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Curious with what he can do with a Yakuza spinoff. The franchise/universe already is in a refresh post-Kiryu.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
No Miya, not you too. So tired of this fake ass games... Oh well , d1 anyway I guess

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki also said he needs to get better at communicating the story of his games to the team, who often don't understand the overall plot of the games they're working on.

Can you blame them? They probs finish the game then go watch VaatiVidya videos and are like "ooooohhhhh now I sort of get that thing we did for all those years!".

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just read the article, nowhere does it say he wants to make such a game next. He also didn't say Rockstar - he said Rockstar's RDR2 specifically.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Inspired by RDR2, From Software announces that it will develop Rising Zan 2.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Era who love From's "gameplay first" mentality 😦

In all seriousness, that sounds badass and I'd play it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro's story was much more direct than any of his games beforehand. Miyazaki also creates some of the most likable characters so I'm all for more narrative-driven versions of his games.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I think I would like them to take another step towards a more story-driven narrative, but retain their unique style of world-building and lore through items, small optional interactions, and quirky characters. Having reached the end of Sekiro, I actually really like the small touches to the characters, though most of them are optional and easy to miss. They are a bit more straightforward than before, but I'd like to see what an even more story-driven FromSoft game would be like.

I thoroughly love Souls and Bloodborne's archaeology approach and have greatly enjoyed them but felt Sekiro was a really refreshing and welcome change to From's storytelling. I really like it and think they did a great job.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, Sekiro has a bigger focus on the story, and tbh it feels like a mix of previous games stories with more cinematics and more voice acting, so I don't really expect a good story from the team at this point.

But it would be interesting to play a game with good narrative that is not a 50+ hours RPG or a "cinematic" constrained experience, and at least we can trust Miyazaki to create a game more fun to play than RDRII (which is most of the games tbh).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 keeps on shining, got the attention of Mr Souls himself.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly, the fact that all these world-class developers still continue to use Rockstar as the bar to reach really shows how much of a league of their own they're in.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Miyazaki also said he needs to get better at communicating the story of his games to the team, who often don't understand the overall plot of the games they're working on.

Ha! So FROM telling the story through loading screen item descriptions is really them sucking at it and not intentionally cryptic lore!

/s
kinda

The only FROM games I know are Soulsborne games so I can't even fathom what a game like RDR2 from them would be like. To be honest I'd like to see their take on Final Fantasy.

Oct 25, 2017
As I've stated before, I'm absolutely fully down and into anything Miyazaki and From want to do. But this particular concept I like the sound of.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to suggest they take on a remake of Vagrant Story. It would not be GTA like but it would be narrative driven.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Nothing in that article corroborates anything to do with that rumour other than he would like to make 'narrative driven game someday'.

He also said he would like to make a battle royale game.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a worthwhile experiment, but I hope he's cautious about knowing his team's strengths and weaknesses.

This gen has seen several top-tier studios, like Bethesda and Bioware, learn the lesson of "stick with what you're good at" the hard way. I'd hate to see From stop creating masterpieces just because they feel the need to do something "different."

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
User banned (1 week): hostility, insults, antagonizing other members over a series of posts + recent ban for similar behaviour

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
someone should do this, but in the style and world that was shown in the CGI of deep down (Capcom). Same graphics and all. The first person parts, as well as the third. I think it would be really interesting to see a Rockstar style story game take on a different kind of world akin to the footage. If anyone could do it, it would be From or Capcom.

Edit
I kind of got the vibe that deep down was similar and deep/menacing/deadly by how the characters talked in the footage, which made me think of how it could take on the same tone as a Rockstar-style narrative game. The graphics of the footage should be possible now. look at the trailer deeply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFBEjlKtpY

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love that, though I'm doubtful From could actually pull off a narrative, characters, writing or acting to the level of say a Rockstar or Naughty Dog title, though that doesn't mean it couldn't still be really engaging and enjoyable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
My main concerns are about quest design and tech. From severely lacks in those apects, which are fundamental in a good open world. I simply can't see the current quest design, with no marks whatsoever or their current tech, who fails to achieve basic performances on 'normal games' compete with the such as TW3. From needs a complete revolution to do it. On the other hand I give them that the lore is some of best you can find, plus they have great narrative scripts ideas.

The association with the Martin rumor is my pure speculation.