• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
From this interview: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/d...kojima/1100-6469867/?ftag=ftag=GSS-05-10aab8e

I'm being told this is my last question, so I have to ask: will Keanu Reeves be in Death Stranding?

Keanu is a great guy. I have a close friend, Nicolas Refn, he introduced me to Mads and I made an offer to Mads to be in the game. I went to Denmark and talked to Nicolas again before I gave the offer to Mads, and I said I met Mads a couple of times but I really wanted to reconfirm with Nicolas that I really should work with Mads. Nicolas said, "I made Mads grow. He's great, but the best guy is Keanu," and he was doing Neon Demon at that time. So he was trying to persuade me to use Keanu, and I thought maybe I will change from Mads to Keanu.

We were having this dinner, and there was this chef, and I called the chef and told him that I'm thinking of using Mads, and asked what he thought. Even the chef said maybe Keanu is better, even though he liked Mads a lot. But I did write the character for Mads, imagining him, so I am very happy that I offered it to Mads in the end.

So as I said, Keanu is a great guy, and in the future it would be great if we could work together. It could be a game, or maybe a movie or TV I might work on, so maybe next time. But I want to say Mads is really great. When I met Keanu, I was shocked that he was so polite; a real good guy. Were are only one year apart in age, so the appreciation towards a lot of things are similar, I think. So in the future, I would like to offer something to Keanu.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There must be something lost in translation here because, even though it's Kojima, I can't see him saying "Mads is OK but Keanu is where the real good stuff's at," like that.

But then again I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima started shitting on his own celebrity friends in favour of another one of his celebrity friends.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"It could be a game, or maybe a movie or TV I might work on, so maybe next time"
The guy had said that every single time but still doing games

"Were are only one year apart in age"
Sure... we all know you are both vampires, stop to pretend please.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahaha. Probably got salty over all the comments and reactions from Keanu and Cyberpunk 2077.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
That can't possibly be accurately translated can it? haha

As much as I am excited for DS, Kojima comes across as a bit too much of a fan of Hollywood actors.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
So as I said, Keanu is a great guy, and in the future it would be great if we could work together. It could be a game, or maybe a movie or TV I might work on, so maybe next time. But I want to say Mads is really great. When I met Keanu, I was shocked that he was so polite; a real good guy. Were are only one year apart in age, so the appreciation towards a lot of things are similar, I think. So in the future, I would like to offer something to Keanu.
Wow they're the same age? Keanu looks much younger.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a really weird way of selling Mads Mikkelsen short. Must have been something Lost in Translation.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Keanu can definitely play "dude incredulous at what's going on" so it seems like a match made in heaven.

(I'd rather they stay far away from each other. Keanu is too wholesome to be involved with Kojima)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is odd as hell way to talk about Mads. Maybe we can get the transcript to see if something was lost in translation.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted to reconfirm with Nicolas that I really should work with Mads. Nicolas said, "I made Mads grow. He's great, but the best guy is Keanu," and he was doing Neon Demon at that time. So he was trying to persuade me to use Keanu, and I thought maybe I will change from Mads to Keanu.

We were having this dinner, and there was this chef, and I called the chef and told him that I'm thinking of using Mads, and asked what he thought. Even the chef said maybe Keanu is better, even though he liked Mads a lot

ahahahahahah what the fuck. why would you say this in an interview

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going with the others in saying there has to be a mistranslation somewhere. Kojima doesn't come across as unprofessional enough to just throw Mads under the bus like that.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
cOGkg33.jpg

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Kojima kinda coming off like a dick here, LOL.

Yeah, kind of. But Winding Refn seems even worse, lol....

Nicolas said, "I made Mads grow. He's great, but the best guy is Keanu," and he was doing Neon Demon at that time. So he was trying to persuade me to use Keanu, and I thought maybe I will change from Mads to Keanu.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So am I to take it as him not being in Death Stranding? Guess those studio visits don't guarantee cameos.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
After hearing that Kojima left Stephanie Joosten on read I'm not betting on a mistranslation. Mads is old news now.

I hope he was irked when he saw Idris Elba in NBA 2K20, because I'm sure he wanted him in Death Stranding also.

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he's exaggerating the details (like consulting a random chef about casting info on his highly secretive project, yeah right) but still, why put this out there? Gotta love how he compares himself to Keanu's politeness, right after he's publicly revealed the Keanu>Mads conversations.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm sure he's exaggerating the details (like consulting a random chef about casting info on his highly secretive project, yeah right) but still, why put this out there? Gotta love how he compares himself to Keanu's politeness, right after he's publicly revealed the Keanu>Mads conversations.

I hope something was lost in translation because this is impolite... And Mads is a great actor.