• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amprainy

May 31, 2019
Day 1. A triple A walking/hiking simulator with consequences appeals to me so much. I'm excited about exploring the gorgeous environments which seem to be quite expansive as well.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a walking sim, but it's also not a new genre. Kojima should really stop saying that. I know he wants that to be true, but it isn't.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I still am not really sold on the gameplay. I'm sure it will be good, but they haven't done a good job on selling this to me as a video game. Statements like this don't really help.

I don't know where people are making the argument from that "no one understood Metal Gear Solid before it came out". I mean the extra part of the title says what the game is: Tactical Espionage Action. The game is exactly that. Death Stranding has not really done that.

Maybe all this will change when the game comes out and I'll see gameplay of it and be sold on it, but right now I'm not.

He's probably refering to Metal Gear

Also, how does a statement like this not help? Hes addressing, explaining, and hopefully clearing up (an already disproven criticism...many times over lol) to the game.

Its 2019, the term "walking simulator" has already become such a nonsensical thing by now. People looking at a game like this or Journey without playing it and calling it a "walking simulator" is just a reflection of the state and being of the commentor lol

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he show the main gameplay loop?

That's what I gathered from reading some of the coverage.

Stupid question, but did any of the demos last week get posted in English?
Don't remember seeing any english videos, and I find it really disconcerting that people are having to rely on translations to get a grasp of everything Kojima's trying to impart.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Didn't he show the main gameplay loop?

That's what I gathered from reading some of the coverage.

Yeah, they showed the gameplay loop and they even showed a freaking BOSS FIGHT.
After all of these story trailers, a one hour gameplay video and several gameplay scenes within the trailers, I'm so done with people saying we don't know anything about the game.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I always have this suspicion that Kojima hasn't so much as looked at a game in years and is viewing the broader industry as a film-fanatic not really interested in understanding it.

Jan 2, 2018
It's the same as when I first brought out a stealth game. If 100 people play it and 100 people say it's fun, it means the genre or the game already exists. But this is a new genre – same as stealth the first time, there will be people who don't get it. It will take time for the real evaluations to come in.

I think games like Doom, Super Metroid, Dragon Quest, etc. were pretty popular right from the start, so this sounds like handwaving of any criticism.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Misunderstanding? Give me a break. It is YOUR job to make us UNDERSTAND. You can't blame folk for being confused as hell on what this game is actually all about.

They have shown footage of the playable charecter using an assault rifle to shoot things. If you see that and think "him looks like a walking simulator..." then your a lost cause.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
It's our fault he's failing to telling us what's good about this game beyond trust me I'm Kojima?

bruv what i've seen of the game so far looks fucking awesome. it's a real shame that people are worried that they might not enjoy it if it doesn't have the prerequisite pew pew action, but i'm stoked about what i've seen so far (and it's pretty clear to me now what this game is going to be).

so yeah, in some respects it is our fault, collectively, for being so goddamn conservative about what constitutes a game, that when daddy kojima lays it out quite clearly and succinctly, people go "but where's the game", the game is there it's just not what people were expecting. if i can spend the majority of death stranding walking the desolate landscapes of america delivering packages and reconnecting isolated communities, and rarely/if ever engaging in high octane gun play, then i'm 110% sold.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you have to explain what your game ISN'T, you kinda fucked up, Kojima.

All the marketing so far has been pretty bizarre:

- The first couple of trailers seemingly have nothing on what the gameplay actually is;
- Kojima pushing the "brand new genre" stuff;
- Actual gameplay received with quite a bit of criticism;
- Bizarro product placement that would get any other dev scolding press;
- Kojima's fixation on Norman Reedus and Madds;
- Cameos;

I honestly can't blame people for being clueless about what the hell this even is. And if you then go and release 50 minutes of walking around delivering parcels to holograms, what the hell did you expect was going to happen?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
In his 20 something career Kojima never made a bad game, I don't get why people are starting to doubt him now.
I'm in the same boat. Many people criticizing are still on the "lackluster" MGSV boat and how disappointing that was, but any informed person knows that was mostly Konami's doing. With Kojima having his usual creative freedom back, I trust this is gonna be good (for all the good AND bad reasons).

so yeah, in some respects it is our fault, collectively, for being so goddamn conservative about what constitutes a game, that when daddy kojima lays it out quite clearly and succinctly, people go "but where's the game", the game is there it's just not what people were expecting. if i can spend the majority of death stranding walking the desolate landscapes of america delivering packages and reconnecting isolated communities, and rarely/if ever engaging in high octane gun play, then i'm 110% sold.
I agree with a lot of this. Most of the "fears" about the game come from our fixated vision of what a "game" is. This is not God of War or Call of Duty: Shoot a man where you will be killing something eacher 2 minutes of walking, and I think that's what confusing people so much.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird boat to be in. Trying to address gamers who have a simplistic understanding of gaming and don't understand that games can have more nuanced mechanics not relating to shoot bang but without sounding overly cocky/pretentious.

He shouldn't have bothered. Idiots spouting off walking simulator, especially as a loaded negative term, aren't worth addressing.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've deen it seems to have the exploration of BOTW with more focus on the main story quest and survival and less focus on actively engaging in combat.
I haven't watched much of the gameplay but was there more to the environment than grassy mountains?
Open World games need landmarks to make their world traversable and interesting.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
So, he's basically saying there has been a Death Misunderstranding!?

noice

From what I've deen it seems to have the exploration of BOTW with more focus on the main story quest and survival and less focus on actively engaging in combat.
I haven't watched much of the gameplay but was there more to the environment than grassy mountains?
Open World games need landmarks to make their world traversable and interesting.

that's my vibe too, getting a lot of botw from what ive seen so far
and botw is the only good open world game!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima already making excuses. You either like it or you simply don't understand it.

I have a really hard time liking the guy when he constantly makes dumb statements like that.

Hopefully the shoe durability isn't as bad as the weapon durability in BOTW...

It's perfectly fine not to be interested in the game or dislike it once it's out, but to call it a Walking Simulator or say nothing is going on because there isn't constant combat shows a clear lack of understanding.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its your job as a creator when revealing your title to show off what the game can do. If there is a misunderstanding about what it does thats entirely on you and the way you have presented and show cased your game.

Jun 26, 2018
I think I'm gonna put this thread on ignore for the sake of my mental health.

In fact, it'll probably be best to avoid all death Stranding threads outside of the main thread until the game is out and even then I'm not sure.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I understand if him trying to say it's not just about walking but should stop to call it a new genre. Because clearly it's not looking to the last video gameplay released.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a walking sim, but it's also not a new genre. Kojima should really stop saying that. I know he wants that to be true, but it isn't.

Are "Battle Royale" and "Souls" news genres? Cuz most people treat them that way, even though they're only the tiniest bit different than the games that came before.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
At this point he's going to have to let the game just speak for itself. Lots of people are going to buy it off his name alone and if the word of mouth is good, then those on the fence will be more likely to jump in. Him trying to explain it isn't going to rope people in if they haven't already.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man people are really salty Kojima is revolutioning gaming. This is a bigger moment than Super Mario Bros.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, should I be ashamed of my words and deeds while watching Norman Reedus pee?
you replied to a person saying the level of discourse is terrible in these threads with this?
you basically proved their point.

And yes you should be ashamed because you clearly not arguing in good faith and trolling.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Personally I think Kojima likes smelling his own farts.
This is part of the reason trying to have a good level of discussion in divisive threads is hard, one has to read all the bullshit takes drowning valuable posts.

Anyway, I wish he didn't call it a new genre, that just happens after a while like the Dark Souls games, MOBAs and now Battle Royale.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I will tell you this though. (My last comment in this thread) One thing that really intrigued me before was the HORROR aspect.

Seems like it is almost buried in weird shit. You are like this delivery guy who can do lots of weird stuff. If this was pure horror survival. Sign me up, but alas.

I only watched like 10 minutes of the tgs footage and then I couldn't take it anymore. I bolted.

Shame that Silent Hill (under Kojima) didn't come to fruition.

I've seen this gif from the TGS presentation that kind of freaked me out. Let me see if I can find it.

Stupid question, but did any of the demos last week get posted in English?
Don't remember seeing any english videos, and I find it really disconcerting that people are having to rely on translations to get a grasp of everything Kojima's trying to impart.

I'm not sure, sorry. Hopefully they'll post if for people that want to see it in English.

Yeah, they showed the gameplay loop and they even showed a freaking BOSS FIGHT.
After all of these story trailers, a one hour gameplay video and several gameplay scenes within the trailers, I'm so done with people saying we don't know anything about the game.

This behaviour truly is unique to Kojima products, and Death Stranding in particular. I want nothing to do with people that can't be asked to Google this game by now

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely killing me with this new genre stuff.

so now, kojima the politician? i mean, he never actually answers the question. what he says is 'this level of realism is something you couldn't do, or wasn't done, previously.' but he never does say how he manages to make mundane maintenance tasks not feel like work...
I typically don't really enjoy that kind of strict realism. Like from another PoV I suppose it's impressive that games have become so detailed, but actually playing it is a different matter. Like how he touches upon how most games magically let you carry whatever you want. I like that. I don't enjoy the realism of having a strict inventory space, weight limit, etc. It's always an annoyance more than anything else.

Likewise with DS, seeing you have to put actual thought into how you hold your items, watch your balance, etc. is interesting from a glance, but I doubt it's for me. It just looks like tedious work more than anything else.

This is where I'm at. He did nothing to curb my fears of all that tedium becoming a drag to deal with. I feel that game designers strike that stuff from the to-do-list less because of feasibility and more because of playability.

Great for people that enjoy that but for me its added chores and micromanagement keeping me from the meat of the game.

Aug 10, 2019
Misunderstanding? Give me a break. It is YOUR job to make us UNDERSTAND. You can't blame folk for being confused as hell on what this game is actually all about.
That's not his job any more than it's Tolstoy's job to make people understand War and Peace, or Mozart's job to have people understand Don Giovanni.

You're talking about art pandering to the masses and Kojima is talking about creating something new at the risk of it being misunderstood.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It doesn't really give me much reassurance when Kojima's answer to "how does the game make all the realistic elements so tedious?" is even more pretentious "NEW GENRE!" rhetoric.

Oct 28, 2017
In his 20 something career Kojima never made a bad game, I don't get why people are starting to doubt him now.

Yeah, the core mechanics and gameplay in his games have never been bad. Even MGS5's main problems weren't the game mechanics, it had to do with the game's story and how the entire point of view was solely from the POV of Venom Snake. Which didn't remotely work, especially since Kiefer Sutherland was probably so expensive that all of his spoken content ends up being relegated to cassette tapes.

It's almost like some of the criticisms could be alleviated by providing actual information and gameplay and not pure bullshit.

I think its pretty clear what the main mechanics of the game consists of. The core mechanics of the game really consists of a whole lot of mundane actions that are generally ignored (eg. balance while walking) or heavily abstracted in other video games (BOTW's stamina I guess), which may or may not actually play well. It really depends on the level design honestly...BOTW's traversal mechanics and map design were fantastical and encouraged you to be a tourist whereas I can 100% see Death Stranding's map design to be a whole lot more hostile and threatening.

People are losing their minds over "wacky" and "weird" shit when its just a game that isn't bothering to ignore or abstract them.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My only worry is that every time we see the gameplay, they cut out all of the travel. With obvious cuts too.

When we finally saw combat, it looked like MGS5 with less options. The exoskeleton was cool, and the boss fight was interesting (though fighting it with just grenades was a bit iffy).

I'll wait until the game is out and more impressions are available. The game hasn't been playable on a show floor yet, right? If so, that's also worrying.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's not his job any more than it's Tolstoy's job to make people understand War and Peace, or Mozart's job to have people understand Don Giovanni.

You're talking about art pandering to the masses and Kojima is talking about creating something new at great risk.

Sorry but I can't help but a bit amused at a game where Norman Reedus has to piss out Mountain Dew before reporting back to characters such as "Mama" (because she's a mother figure) and "Die Hardman," (because that's a film people know) being compared to Tolstoy and Mozart.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
The majority of criticisms in my opinion stem from this era of instant gratification / quick travel mechanics. Oddly I think it wouldnt've been critisized as harshly in the past were actual walking was a big part of exploration in a game as opposed to instantly zipping to and from checkpoints.

Oct 31, 2017
Do i think Kojima is a bit too far up his own ass? Yes.

But the game looks beautiful, charming, and highly original. And I highly doubt the game is gonna be dull.

I've never played any of his games but this might be my first

EDIT: if the game has a sense of progression. Does it? :p