• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a question for the folks that are saying that this doesn't matter to Sony all that much since they've secured all the AAA games from the biggest publishers: what happens to the companies that aren't playing in that field and have to rely heavily on domestic sales as they don't make global bestsellers in the first place? In fact, what happens to the release strategy of, say, Atlus, who rely heavily on cross-media opportunities that play only in Japan for something like Persona when they're looking at a hardware platform on a trajectory that's going to make it incredibly hard for them to even match sales of previous entries, which in turn makes it much more difficult to make stuff like the anime or the concerts or whatever they have for spin-offs and get what they want out of them to serve as ways of keeping their mindshare out there to have everything click?

I think a lot of folks don't realize just how precarious Sony's position is right now in Japan, and though they can temporarily "fix" those problems with moneyhats, at what point does that actually matter and winds up causing an adverse effect when those companies are being paid to lock themselves out of greener pastures, simply just for the sake of being paid off to deny reality for another company's sake, with little to show for it in the end. Sure, you'll have your stubborn loyalists for now like Falcom, but even they won't be able to ignore where things have already been heading for much longer without serious harm.
For the smaller devs, I suspect the horse has already bolted, and they'll be moving to a strategy of Switch & Steam, with maybe a PS port bolted on after the fact.

For bigger devs, I suspect Resident Evil 8 and Monster Hunter Rise is going to prove informative. Outside of the projects Sony subsidies, I suspect shareholders will demand more Switch & Steam & PS projects. Certainly, if anyone bought a PS5 expecting a regular supply of de-facto PS5 exclusives outside of PlayStation Studios, I think they're going to be disappointed.

FF7 Remake, DQXI, RE7, MHW, and Tales games all released in Japan and a few years later we are looking at the results of those games being on Sony platforms. I think we are past the "let's wait for these big exclusive Japanese games to release," because the exact scenario happened last time and PS4 STILL trended down compared to PS3.
Not to mention that with RE8 getting a PS4 SKU and Tales of Arise likely not sacrificing that SKU either, their status as PS5 essentials in Japan simply does not exist.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
FF7 Remake, DQXI, RE7, MHW, and Tales games all released in Japan and a few years later we are looking at the results of those games being on Sony platforms. I think we are past the "let's wait for these big exclusive Japanese games to release," because the exact scenario happened last time and PS4 STILL trended down compared to PS3.
Yeah but PS4 sold well i thought. The question at hand at the moment is regarding PS5 with its 4.5 million global sales since November 12th 2020. Of those, only a couple hundred thousand were probably sold in Japan. I am just saying that we gotta let PS5 breathe a little. I think we will better see by spring 2022.

You and the other user have a point though regarding the PS4 owners getting these games already.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Wow those figures are way worse than I thought they would be. I've typically gone to PS for my Japanese titles, but with numbers like that I'm wondering if I should prepare for Nintendo to be the place I go.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
jTl8LYe.png
Kind of funny to use a Splatoon gif tbh. Still weird how Nintendo just went and accidentally made a mini phenomenon over there. They made sure to capitalize on it though, despite comparatively worse western sales.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
This is true. We're at a point where one company doing well doesn't mean another can't thrive. PS4 (and now PS5) and Switch are flourishing simultaneously. The lack of success in Japan is on Sony. The Switch could be a failure in Japan and PlayStation would still be in decline, god forbid. Now that would be woeful.

When you put it that way it is worrying that if not for Nintendo Switch, traditional gaming is pretty much dead in Japan.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but PS4 sold well i thought. The question at hand at the moment is regarding PS5 with its 4.5 million global sales since November 12th 2020. Of those, only a couple hundred thousand were probably sold in Japan. I am just saying that we gotta let PS5 breathe a little. I think we will better see by spring 2022.
The premise of the OP isn't Switch vs. PS5 software , its Switch vs. everything else's software, including PS4, which has an install base of over 10mil in Japan. Yeah, the PS5 launching means PS4 isn't the newest system anymore, but so far this year Switch has 99% of all physical software sales compared to PS5 AND PS4. Sony should be moving way more software than that on PS4, that is the issue. These big AAA games are only good for the sales they generate when they release because Playstation has yet to tap into that evergreen sales potential with any of those games. You don't see an "all ships rise with the tide" sales phenomenon on Sony platforms like you do Nintendo systems, which is the problem with Sony's relevance in Japan right now.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Eh, the Japanese market's tastes and my tastes have become increasingly divergent. As long as Sony and Microsoft are doing well in other markets, Nintendo can have Japan.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The premise of the OP isn't Switch vs. PS5 software , its Switch vs. everything else's software, including PS4, which has an install base of over 10mil in Japan. Yeah, the PS5 launching means PS4 isn't the newest system anymore, but so far this year Switch has 99% of all physical software sales compared to PS5 AND PS4. Sony should be moving way more software than that on PS4, that is the issue. These big AAA games are only good for the sales they generate when they release because Playstation has yet to tap into that evergreen sales potential with any of those games. You don't see an "all ships rise with the tide" sales phenomenon on Sony platforms like you do Nintendo systems, which is the problem with Sony's relevance in Japan right now.

We have no Data on Catalog Sales on Playstation Hardware Digitally.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How do you solve the software issue?

Honest question because it seems easy to point the problem but not solve it.
I want to think Nintendo sees way more success there because they go more for cartoony artstyles with popular mascot characters, while at the same time being home for all the smaller scale japanese games like the vita was. Theyre genres Sony was more invested in the past, but have neglected as of late I think. Im no expert though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again for the people who think that Nintendo played a part in this - when the Wii U was flailing all over the place, the PS3 and PS4 were still showing decline in the PlayStation brand in Japan. This trend would have continued regardless of whether or not the Switch was successful. And to be honest, thank god the Switch is pulling as much weight as it is in Japan because if not then the outlook for traditional non-mobile gaming in Japan would be so bleak right now.

Whilst I agree with your overall point, considering PS4 consolidated pretty much all support behind it at one point, I don't think things would have gotten quite this lopsided if Nintendo hadn't made relatively heavy investments in more teen/core oriented franchises like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain. Those franchises are much closer to the AA games most Japanese publishers produce and have helped build an audience for those games.

People look at the big releases but the key advantage PlayStation has had over Nintendo in Japan traditionally has been those smaller releases in between that maintain interest in the system. The thing that would help PS maintain market share in these relative lulls would be those releases where you would go several weeks between releases on Nintendo systems.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Lol that last part is definitely true but I know this. I think it's more like I do not see an alternative.

I think step one is getting new blood in there with a new focus. They have been cutting back on Sony Japan's funds and teams. I think they should reinvest but with new blood with new ideas and a focus on making something the market actually wants to play.

Right now the strategy is to work with third parties to get those games on the PS platform. Usually you get the software and people will come to the hardware but the problem is that these games are often a better fit for the Switch. So what's the alternative? Make exclusive games for your own platform that matches these needs right? That is a significant investment for sales to what, match or do slightly better than 3rd party games do in Japan?

It isn't like Japanese software doesn't sell millions abroad though. This is what I dont get. Resident Evil, Persona, Sekiro, Dark Souls, Nier. These games all do well in the West. Why wouldn't you make games like those and have them in you bag? You can also try and make some smaller domestic focused stuff for niches as well. The issue is no one cares about Knack or Astrobot.

I don't think Sony actually needs to change its current strategy. I am just saying people act like there is nothing they can do. That isn't true. They aren't even trying in Japan. They can do better than nothing.

Jun 12, 2018
Why should any of us care about the performance of PlayStation in Japan? If it's not doing well, oh well that's the market speaking for itself and it will correct for that.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Every month it's making more and more sense why Studio Japan is getting shuttered, which is the right decision.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
This is Sony's fault for solely trying to appeal to the West. I would love them to put more time into getting games that appeal to the Japanese audience (as those also tend to appeal to me), but it seems they are happy with only the West

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean data they have access to probably raised the flag that they were losing out on market share there, their lack of action tells me they just don't care, especially if they let it drop that low. That doesn't happen over night.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Pretty shocking, but now that I think about it, Sony's lineup of heavy-hitters like God of War, Last of Us and Horizon don't seem like the type of games Japan likes.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same exact thing can be said for Nintendo though, no?

PS Generated 6% of Revenue on Physical Software Sales last Q
Nintendo Generated 28% on Physical Sales Last Q .

Am I say with Digital will the ratio make Playstation look for Jan ? No

Jan was a horrible month for Playstation

But these are the retails of the last 4 years with no Digital

PS4 - 7.500.000 ~ <- 2020
PS4 - 9.235.333 <- 2019
PS4 - 10.740.999 <- 2018
PS4 - 10.021.801 < 2017

One Month Data of Retail in Jan doesnt mean playstation is dead in JP

leder

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of weird fatalism in defense of Sony. It's not predestined that they can't compete there. They are just not prioritizing the market or executing well there. In part, that's a business decision and we'll see how it goes for them. "Nintendo wins Japan" isn't a law of nature though. PSP and PS2 did extremely well in Japan. PS4 actually sold very well. I don't think you can put a positive spin on current PS performance in Japan.

On a personal note, I would take a new Sony handheld in a heartbeat. Please do it Sony!

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I don't think I understand this data, or why it is used.

Is it comparing the Switch to the PS4 and leaving out the PS5? And for 2021, meaning only one month? And only using the top of the charts, and not total software sales? And is it only counting physical games, or do sales through the Eshop and PS Store also count?

There is no possible denying of Nintendo's domination of the Japanese market, and PlayStations declining trend in market share. But that 99% to 1% seems to be way too much of a stretch, and the data used lacking at best, manipulative at worse.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they make more money, sell more games and more hardware than ever, then they did the most things right.
Everything? In every country? Surely not. No company does. And I never said that Sony did. What's the main goal for a company? Making money.

Let's not forget that your contribution to this thread was the following snarky drive-by comment:
"No guys Sony's strategy of negging the Japanese market will pay handsome dividends any day now."
Way to start a "productive discussion". So you actually are the one lacking perspective. You were looking for dividends. I provided you the link for those dividends. Next time make a better post if you really want to start a productive discussion.

So like I said, no productive discussion to be had, because you're once again trying to claim that their international revenues somehow debunk my criticism of their Japanese production. I never once claimed that Sony's business hasn't largely been successful internationally. What I did claim was that it was wrong to make excuses for Sony's performance in Japan by either blaming and maligning Japanese consumers or claiming that the Japanese market has mysteriously abandoned everyone but Nintendo for inscrutable reasons. If you want actual reasons look at top-selling Switch software in Japan and try to find equivalents coming out of Sony.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
going way way back isnt this why persona 5 was released also on ps3?
do we have the jp ps3/ps4 persona 5 numbers?

It's at around 600k

I don't think I understand this data, or why it is used.

Is it comparing the Switch to the PS4 and leaving out the PS5? And for 2021, meaning only one month? And only using the top of the charts, and not total software sales? And is it only counting physical games, or do sales through the Eshop and PS Store also count?

There is no possible denying of Nintendo's domination of the Japanese market, and PlayStations declining trend in market share. But that 99% to 1% seems to be way too much of a stretch, and the data used lacking at best, manipulative at worse.

If you add in PS5 and digital you would be at around 5% I imagine.

The numbers are sorta arbitrary though, 1% or 5% makes no difference to the main point. Playstation is in its worst position ever in Japan in terms of market share.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is Sony's fault for solely trying to appeal to the West. I would love them to put more time into getting games that appeal to the Japanese audience (as those also tend to appeal to me), but it seems they are happy with only the West
I mean, they have tried, and those games haven't been big hits.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
ah, i see, for sure. yeah Switch taking business away from the other platform is definitely happening. Probably more with the switch pro and zelda news this year or next (if it happens)

I mean, they have tried, and those games haven't been big hits.
Honestly, Japan Studio has been rather bizarrely managed since the PS3 was announced, since the only real mainstream project that they ever worked on in that time was Bloodborne. And it's not like Sony's other first party studios haven't dabbled in what seemed like commercially iffy projects at first, yet they still had their existing IPs to fall back on in case stuff like TLOU or Ghost of Tsushima didn't take. It's a strange situation for them that's also exclusive to them, as well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Looked at a week in January 2020 and I saw 2 big PS4 releases (Yakuza & DBZ) as well as some older games that made the Top 30. In contrast, January 2021 is a wasteland for PS4 games & PS5 hasn't stepped up. When the PS5 launched, it had 5 games in the Top 30 with the highest ranked one being #10. By the end of the month, its highest ranked game was about to leave the Top 30 entirely.

Sony needs to get more PS5 consoles to Japan and it needs to get must-play (for Japan) games on the system ASAP. If not, they risk losing Japanese developers who will be willing to make games for their system.

Or even better, just make a PSP3.

Looked at a week in January 2020 and I saw 2 big PS4 releases (Yakuza & DBZ) as well as some older games that made the Top 30. In contrast, January 2021 is a wasteland for PS4 games & PS5 hasn't stepped up. When the PS5 launched, it had 5 games in the Top 30 with the highest ranked one being #10. By the end of the month, its highest ranked game was about to leave the Top 30 entirely.

Sony needs to get more PS5 consoles to Japan and it needs to get must-play (for Japan) games on the system ASAP. If not, they risk losing Japanese developers who will be willing to make games for their system.

Honest question: what does a PSP3 do in Japan that Switch already isn't?

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017

1. Sony needs to get consoles everywhere, not just Japan. When the CEO of one of their part manufacturers comes out and says that you won't be seeing the consoles (Sony & Microsoft) readily until the 2nd half of this means it ain't really on them.
2. What are these must-play games for Japan that would be system sellers in Japan?
3. Sony ain't losing Japanese developers willing to make games on their system. Platinum literally just came out and said nah.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Honest question: what does a PSP3 do in Japan that Switch already isn't?

If I was in charge, I would position a new Sony portable system as the budget portable-only alternative to the Switch. Aim for around a $100 USD price. PS1, PSP, and Vita backwards compatible, with good developer tool support for Unity so you get the indie & small Japanese company games that thrived on the Vita & 3DS.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Why should any of us care about the performance of PlayStation in Japan? If it's not doing well, oh well that's the market speaking for itself and it will correct for that.
There's the potential that it could mean fewer Japanese made games as they try and cater to their home audience. That's the biggest concern. I'm sure we'll always get games from the biggest Japanese devs, but I imagine this could discourage mid to smaller devs from developing on higher end hardware.