• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't agree. Sony have basically dominated the market since PS1. They have sold 100+ million every gen outside of the disaster of PS3 but it still sold what 85 million? while having their closest rivals in decades (360 + Wii).

At this point it's safe to assume Switch will sell around 120 million units lifetime (including Lite and Pro models ofc). That is what I would consider a balloon effect especially after the disasters of Gamecube and Switch as well as the astoundingly quick death of the Wii fad and it's not just in Japan as Switch is breaking records in Germany, France, Spain, the UK and North America.

Dominating Japan is the cherry on top of the Switch's success. With Sony success is expected at this point (especially in the West) whereas Nintendo's next system could flop as hard as Wii U if not managed properly.
I think you're taking my wording a little too literally. By 'ballooning' I mean they're doing better than ever. And yes, the PS3 almost sunk the division, they're in a far, far, faaaar better spot than they were 10-15 years ago. I mean we just had this thread:

Sony Q3 FY2020 (Oct-Dec) Results - PS5: 4.5m, PS4: 1.4m (LTD: 114.9m) / Record Year for PlayStation / Highest Quarterly Revenue in video game history

I think they're sitting pretty happy.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I guess I'm curious as to what's motivating this. Used to be you could have series propped up entirely off of their strong Japanese sales.

Is it really as simple as "mobile games are cheaper and everyone has a phone, so they get their fix there and don't need a dedicated gaming console like they used to" or is there something else?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, we are in the middle of a generational transition.Give it time, the PS5 will start selling better when software comes for it. That should be taken into account.

This comparison is about Nintendo and PS ecosystems as a whole, not Switch vs PS5. PS4 software has been extremely anemic too.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That's not really fair to compare the Switch to the DS when it comes to whether the handheld market is shrinking or not. The DS is the all time best selling games system (handheld or otherwise) in Japan and it sold at a significantly cheaper price than the Switch.

This chart (from Hiska-Kun in the Media-Create threads) shows how the Switch is well on course to be the best selling handheld in Japan since the DS itself. Depending on how long they sell it for and how much they can slash the price over time, they may even get somewhere in the realm of the DS itself, though I don't think it'll make it quite that high.

2021-01-28-9-41-45.jpg

If anything I think the Switch shows a revitalisation of the Japanese handheld market. It's perhaps just a little expensive to hit the heights of the DS which could almost be an impulse purchase at its price.
136 weeks is around the launch of Switch Lite and Pokemon S/S. I guess the next spike is AC.
Do they communicate about repartition between Lite and Normal ?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The chart is comparing PS4 sales against Switch sales in 2021?
There are no PS5 sales to compare against the Switch in 2021 so far. No PS5 game has charted in Japan since the third week of launch. That chart would actually just be 100% Switch based on known data (in practicality it would also probably be somewhere around 99% Switch if not just counting charted software).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I guess I'm curious as to what's motivating this. Used to be you could have series propped up entirely off of their strong Japanese sales.

Is it really as simple as "mobile games are cheaper and everyone has a phone, so they get their fix there and don't need a dedicated gaming console like they used to" or is there something else?

No.

It's that Sony isn't making and marketing enough first party games towards the Japanese audience. And conversely Nintendo is doing that better than ever before.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation got Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy. I'm not really sure what else people can expect from Sony.
I don't really think it's about the heavy hitters like this. I think it's more about the lack of exclusive smaller titles. It's less about big budget Japanese games, and more about the loss of Parappa the Rapper, Ogre Battle, Katamari Damacy, Disgaea, etc.

Playstation used to be synonymous with having such smaller Japanese titles as exclusives. But now, such games are far more likely to be on Switch, if not both Switch and PS4.

And people are just more likely to go with the handheld to play such games for cultural reasons.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
More like Sony abandoned Japan to focus on the western market. Almost every exclusive they make has a template to appeal to western tastes.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you haven't fostered a market for more than a decade with software it's clear that you'll end up losing ground.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
136 weeks is around the launch of Switch Lite and Pokemon S/S. I guess the next spike is AC.

The Lite is the less popular version by far. LTD the Lite represents 3.2m out of ~18m. Last week the hybrid Switch sold 87k units, the Lite sold 23k.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020

They do, but I don't have the figures. The normal model seems to outsell the Lite by some distance generally, I seem to recall.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Sony still have a presence in mobile games? They might be happy with that. I doubt they want to create another handheld.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Sony just had a record quarter for any platform holder and is doing better than ever and making significant inroads in middle east and other regions. They will be fine if they dont get the ocassional A, AA japan focussed content as long as they continue to get Resident Evils, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy etc.. that btw Switch still does not get inspite of its dominance in Japan.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Does that include digital software sales? I feel like Sony/MS are having strong shifts towards digital, whereas Nintendo not as much.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Sometimes I wonder if people realize the reason why they don't do so anymore.
I don't think people are asking for Santa Monica and Naughty Dog to stop what their doing and make Japanese games. Sony can have teams and smaller studios doing thing with moderate budget to appeal to Japan. Or make games that appeal to everyone.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if people realize the reason why they don't do so anymore.

It's a chicken and egg situation. If they wanted to regain ground in the Japanese market they would need to invest in some first party projects aimed at Japan. And they'd also need to back those with similar marketing as their other titles.

Of course they could also use those resources to focus on other markets to increase their positions there. If they believe that's a better idea in the long run then they're probably making the right decision.

So yeah I'm pretty sure people know why they've heavily reduced their output aimed at Japan.

The Ps4 is at the end of its life cycle...

They still managed to sell crazy amounts of PS4 software in 2020 in many other markets.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
While I am sure Nintendo played its part, PlayStation would have been in big trouble in Japan even if the Switch never existed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The console market or games in general? I know mobile is always growing but I read some where that PC was also on the rise although I can't seem to recall the source.

The console market, I believe, is what has grown like ~8% in 2020 over the previous year. And it's been growing for a few years.

Hardware and software sales of course.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they own Fate/Grand Order? I don't follow these mobile games often but I heard that was crazy successful in Japan.

FGO is an Aniplex game, a subsidiary company of Sony Music. It's a totally different entity from SIE, the video games side of Sony.

Playstation mobile titles are mostly what Forwardworks, their new subsidiary company made solely for mobile games, have done.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
What are the long-term effects of this on Japanese playstation games, if anything? Hmm

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I don't think people are asking for Santa Monica and Naughty Dog to stop what their doing and make Japanese games. Sony can have teams and smaller studios doing thing with moderate budget to appeal to Japan. Or make games that appeal to everyone.
The thing is, if Sony want to be more successful in Japan, they need games that can move consoles and small-mid tier games won't cut it outside of a miracle game. When was the last time Sony Japan made a game that moved a significant amount of consoles?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they own Fate/Grand Order? I don't follow these mobile games often but I heard that was crazy successful in Japan.

PlayStation doesn't, but Sony Group does. Fate GO is run by Aniplex, who is owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan.

PlayStation has their own mobile division called Forwardworks, but it's a bit of a failure.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I think that they should copy Switch. Except make it a 1080p handheld, but when placed in the base, make it a 4k60 Ray Tracing dual GPU beast.
Is that even possible? lol

I don't think they need some complicated dock GPU, just a basic one for video out and power like the Switch.

Just make the handhold powerful targeting PS4/XB1 graphics, have DLSS & HW upscaling, 4-6 hours battery, allow for video out to TV (via dock or cable like PSP) and bluetooth controller support while connected.

Allowing PS3 and PS4 games to run on it would be the cherry on top. Playing my PS4 library on the go would be worth it alone.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all. The market has been growing YOY for a few years now.
It's false. It's been growing and will keep growing.

Only Playstation is shrinking there.

I see.

I've wondered at points if we'll eventually see games made in Japan that are still demonstrably made by Japanese devs, but tailored to Western audiences. Not like DmC or anything, but the idea that series would come out advertised more to people outside Japan who like their games.