• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
My post history shows I've been one of the most positive and bullish gamers when it comes to a future of streaming and digital gaming. My library between the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Switch is 99% digital this generation. Right now I'm in the midst of experiencing my first "uh oh" and anticipating all those "I told you so's" with many of you who've I've argued with.

Just got word from Comcast that I need to bail on my Xbox account. Recently I upgraded to a service to see why I have such poor performance over Xbox Live and discovered I get spammed with alerts of accounts trying to access my Xbox from multiple countries (Russia, China, Tawain, etc). Only happens when I'm online with my Xbox. The spam eats up all my upload which as you can imagine means poor to unplayable performance. Comcast security has concluded it's only attached to my Xbox account and there's not a damned thing they can do about it. Each attack comes from a different source.

In trying to research solutions, found out this is a typical DDOS. Apparently any person with nothing more than your Gamertag can attach one to you. Even over a closed online ecosystem with a secure ISP. Switching modems, changing Xbox's, changing IP addresses, clearing MACs, factory resetting Xbox....none of it worked because the DDOS is targeting a gamertag.

Comcast says no big deal. Just use a different account to play online games. Here enters the problem in a digital era. Using a different account means losing digital games. Means needing to re-up services like Game Pass and Xbox Live. Means needing to re-buy digital multiplayer games. Also means bailing on a Gamertag I've had since November 15th of 2002. All this without any reassurances of how to protect myself from this in the future.

Spoke to Microsoft. This is out of their hands. They do not have the ability to transfer my stuff to a new account. They have said any solution to combat a DDOS has to come from my ISP. My ISP says that since this DDOS is strictly related to a Microsoft account and has nothing to do with their modem or service directly, it's out of their hands and to speak to Microsoft.

So one jackoff on the internet has outsmarted two mega-corporations. What happens when more jackoffs target more consumers? How does streaming work when you have no bandwidth? If it's attached to your gamertag rather than a device, does it matter what device or ISP you use? What happens when more people get terrible performance online not due to their ISP but due to DDOS?

I'm not giving up on a workaround. Currently looking into VPNs however I'm just taking shots in the dark at this point. Maybe some of the experts here can give myself and the community tips on how to beat this. Until then, industry be warned.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe this is a dumb idea but what if you change your gamertag?

Would that help?

I mean, it's not ideal, but if it works then it might be worth considering

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I've never heard that before, DDOS'ing just the Gamertag's name? That's some fucked up shit.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Tell me about it. Someone logged into my ps4 account from India last month and the second it happened I created a new email address and tied it to that, aswell as changing my password. It's fucked up how easy it is.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I work in security for Xbox and never heard of this. You can create another gamer tag that game shares so you won't lose your games etc. I have 2 gamer tags myself on one console and can share games that way.

I'll try to look into this more when I'm back in the office. I'll watch this thread in the meantime and see if I can track down anyone on my side that can investigate.

It may be at least a week or so as many are OOF except for on call situations.

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
Since it only seems to happen when your xbox is on that leads me to believe your Xbox is connected to some sort of botnet, how or why I have no idea.

By chance do you have a router installed or are you directly connected to the internet via your modem? I would look into some sort of firewall so you block the traffic from even leaving.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Tell me about it. Someone logged into my ps4 account from India last month and the second it happened I created a new email address and tied it to that, aswell as changing my password. It's fucked up how easy it is.

Did you have 2 step activated at the time it was logged into?

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I work in security for Xbox and never heard of this. You can create another gamer tag that game shares so you won't lose your games etc. I have 2 gamer tags myself on one console and can share games that way.

I'll try to look into this more when I'm back in the office. I'll watch this thread in the meantime and see if I can track down anyone on my side that can investigate.

It may be at least a week or so as many are OOF except for on call situations.

Thank you. Will be happy to PM my logs, alerts and additional info. Good idea regarding game sharing in the meantime. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Since it only seems to happen when your xbox is on that leads me to believe your Xbox is connected to some sort of botnet, how or why I have no idea.

By chance do you have a router installed or are you directly connected to the internet via your modem? I would look into some sort of firewall so you block the traffic from even leaving.

I've done both. Tried different combos of router modems. Had my own. Currently connected to Xfinity's newest all-in-one but that was so they could access the info. I switched to a Netduma router yesterday to watch what happened to upload and download which is how I know there are spikes when online. I'm guessing those spikes are related to the alerts I'm getting from Comcast at the same time.

I'll admit any expertise I have is only from my personal experience with this issue and have no background to know other potential solutions. Someone told me to try a VPN. I do see the ports where the spam comes through and have made sure none of those are being used for port forwarding.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. Will be happy to PM my logs, alerts and additional info. Good idea regarding game sharing in the meantime. Thanks for the tip!

NP. I know some people will be back in office late next week after the New Year so I will send an email then and follow up once I'm back in the office the following week.

I will let them know you have logs,etc and if there is someone available to take a closer look I will figure out who you need to send those too.

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
NP. I know some people will be back in office late next week after the New Year so I will send an email then and follow up once I'm back in the office the following week.

I will let them know you have logs,etc and if there is someone available to take a closer look I will figure out who you need to send those too.

You're awesome! Thank you! Already more customer service and concern than I received in 6 hours on the phone and on hold with Comcast.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
This is crazy stuff. I hope it works out for ya. It's really sickening the lengths dishonest people go to in order to rob others, either physically or by actions that seemingly have no point other than to rob them of their time and peace of mind.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you take your Xbox to a friend's house and see if it happens there?

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
Wow, I'm not sure it's allowed or not to explain how it works, but that sounds impossible, DDOS with gamertag...
I've got DDOS'd once in my life, and it was due to a flaw in Skype back in the days which revealed something to connect to my net iirc, but restarting the internet box fixed it.
Hope you can get this fixed.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Wow, I'm not sure it's allowed or not to explain how it works, but that sounds impossible, DDOS with gamertag...
I've got DDOS'd once in my life, and it was due to a flaw in Skype back in the days which revealed something to connect to my net iirc, but restarting the internet box fixed it.

Skype used to reveal IPs.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's only a concern if someone knows your IP.
We've had several people in my wow guild ddos'd back in the day so that the second place guild could try to beat us in the progression race. Pretty pathetic, and we won anyway, but it definitely USED to happen all the time on PC because of the prominence of skype.

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Can you take your Xbox to a friend's house and see if it happens there?

I've taken it when I visit my parents in Chicago (5 hours from me). I've only recently become aware of attempts to access my account being the cause of the issues however the performance issues follow me there. I used to get flawless performance in Chicago because they're basically sitting on top of an Azure server but even with a super low ping I get poor performance there. This is the first thing that made me suspicious that it was directly related to my Xbox or account. Have both an X and S in my household and performance issues happened on both machines, happened on both ATT and Comcast ISPs, at two different addresses with multiple router/modem combos.

I'm not an expert and was told by Microsoft person that it was DDOS. Maybe technically misdiagnosed? My device is spammed with attempts to access from multiple IP addresses in multiple countries from different ports. Can't shake it and only constant with everything I've done is the account itself. No other accounts of mine have been hacked or show funny business. Would be good to know what other info the person would need to connect me to this network of spam outside of my gamertag or why changing IP addresses won't end the issue.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know this was possible. Would love to know the technical side of things.

Oct 27, 2017
My post history shows I've been one of the most positive and bullish gamers when it comes to a future of streaming and digital gaming. My library between the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Switch is 99% digital this generation. Right now I'm in the midst of experiencing my first "uh oh" and anticipating all those "I told you so's" with many of you who've I've argued with.

Just got word from Comcast that I need to bail on my Xbox account. Recently I upgraded to a service to see why I have such poor performance over Xbox Live and discovered I get spammed with alerts of accounts trying to access my Xbox from multiple countries (Russia, China, Tawain, etc). Only happens when I'm online with my Xbox. The spam eats up all my upload which as you can imagine means poor to unplayable performance. Comcast security has concluded it's only attached to my Xbox account and there's not a damned thing they can do about it. Each attack comes from a different source.

In trying to research solutions, found out this is a typical DDOS. Apparently any person with nothing more than your Gamertag can attach one to you. Even over a closed online ecosystem with a secure ISP. Switching modems, changing Xbox's, changing IP addresses, clearing MACs, factory resetting Xbox....none of it worked because the DDOS is targeting a gamertag.

Comcast says no big deal. Just use a different account to play online games. Here enters the problem in a digital era. Using a different account means losing digital games. Means needing to re-up services like Game Pass and Xbox Live. Means needing to re-buy digital multiplayer games. Also means bailing on a Gamertag I've had since November 15th of 2002. All this without any reassurances of how to protect myself from this in the future.

Spoke to Microsoft. This is out of their hands. They do not have the ability to transfer my stuff to a new account. They have said any solution to combat a DDOS has to come from my ISP. My ISP says that since this DDOS is strictly related to a Microsoft account and has nothing to do with their modem or service directly, it's out of their hands and to speak to Microsoft.

So one jackoff on the internet has outsmarted two mega-corporations. What happens when more jackoffs target more consumers? How does streaming work when you have no bandwidth? If it's attached to your gamertag rather than a device, does it matter what device or ISP you use? What happens when more people get terrible performance online not due to their ISP but due to DDOS?

I'm not giving up on a workaround. Currently looking into VPNs however I'm just taking shots in the dark at this point. Maybe some of the experts here can give myself and the community tips on how to beat this. Until then, industry be warned.

I am guessing it is not your Xbox but is your PC or someone's PC that is on your network. The PC is infected and is acting like a zombie.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Based on gamertag? I don't know about that. I feel like I would be target number 1.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What is the spam you are talking about?
How can somebody target your gamer tag?
that has nothing to do with your IP address.

Also, if your upload is being eaten, then you are sending the spam....

You mention you have 2 Xboxes on the same network, are they transferring content between them, it's possible that if you haven't got a router that can deal with the traffic that your QOS would be poor

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I am guessing it is not your Xbox but is your PC or someone's PC that is on your network. The PC is infected and is acting like a zombie.

I hadn't considered this. I've left my PC at home when traveling to Chicago but then again, haven't reset the Xbox IP address while in Chicago. When I'm on my PC now, not getting those alerts. Only happens when on Xbox Live. So for this to be the source, the PC is infected with something that is targeting whatever Xbox IP my gamertag is attached to. Does that sound feasible? Seems like someone who could hack my PC would damage more than my Xbox account.

What is the spam you are talking about?
How can somebody target your gamer tag?
that has nothing to do with your IP address.

Also, if your upload is being eaten, then you are sending the spam....

You mention you have 2 Xboxes on the same network, are they transferring content between them, it's possible that if you haven't got a router that can deal with the traffic that your QOS would be poor

I'm not sure how all that could work. What I have evidence for is constant attempts to access my account by IPs in different countries only when on XBL which impacts my bandwidth (more disproportionately upload because I have much less of it to work with) and follows me even when I change IP address, hardware, location, router/modem or ISP. I've used multiple routers and the issues persisted while the 2nd Xbox was offline.

It would be wonderful if someone could show that it's normal to have all these access attempts on my Xbox consistently when online gaming and that it has nothing to do with the performance and bandwidth spikes and that of all the router/modems I've tried, there's a better choice that would solve all the problems.

Last edited:

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just out of curiosity, when you visit this page, do you see a lot of unsuccessful connection attempts?

RECENT ACTIVITY: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=529717

Seems like that would be one way to confirm if Comcast is giving you a line of BS or not. Unfortunately, some ISPs are graded on the time they take to wrap up calls and/or successfully, and something more involved like this might result in someone brushing you off.

I'm surprised I haven't been targeted by this, I used to get a lot of people bombarding me about my gamertag (3 letter) seems like that'd be an easier way to do it.

I'd be interested in there's a way to DDOS using just a gamertag.

EDIT: Also, have you enabled streaming on your PC from the Xbox? Just brainstorming ideas for how they could get your IP to target things.

EDIT2: Have you joined any random parties from unknown people? If so, they can use something like LANC

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I hadn't considered this. I've left my PC at home when traveling to Chicago but then again, haven't reset the Xbox IP address while in Chicago. When I'm on my PC now, not getting those alerts. Only happens when on Xbox Live. So for this to be the source, the PC is infected with something that is targeting whatever Xbox IP my gamertag is attached to. Does that sound feasible? Seems like someone who could hack my PC would damage more than my Xbox account.

I'm not sure how all that could work. What I have evidence for is constant attempts to access my account by IPs in different countries only when on XBL which impacts my bandwidth (more disproportionately upload because I have much less of it to work with) and follows me even when I change IP address, hardware, location, router/modem or ISP. I've used multiple routers and the issues persisted while the 2nd Xbox was offline.

It would be wonderful if someone could show that it's normal to have all these access attempts on my Xbox consistently when online gaming and that it has nothing to do with the performance and bandwidth spikes and that of all the router/modems I've tried, there's a better choice that would solve all the problems.

Where are you seeing that you are being "accessed"?

Your Pc is also connected to Xbox Live, if you are being pinged or someone is DDOSing you, it's more likely to be as a result of something going on there.

Have you installed a BitTorrent app on your Xbox by any chance?

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Have you tried logging on to your gamertag on a different Xbox, if it happens after that, then it is somehow linked to your tag. Maybe there is something ON your Xbox or your PC.

This whole thing sounds, wrong to me. There has to be more going on. I look forward to seeing how this works out!

Good luck OP!

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Just out of curiosity, when you visit this page, do you see a lot of unsuccessful connection attempts?

RECENT ACTIVITY: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=529717

Seems like that would be one way to confirm if Comcast is giving you a line of BS or not. Unfortunately, some ISPs are graded on the time they take to wrap up calls and/or successfully, and something more involved like this might result in someone brushing you off.

I'm surprised I haven't been targeted by this, I used to get a lot of people bombarding me about my gamertag (3 letter) seems like that'd be an easier way to do it.

I'd be interested in there's a way to DDOS using just a gamertag.

EDIT: Also, have you enabled streaming on your PC from the Xbox? Just brainstorming ideas for how they could get your IP to target things.

EDIT2: Have you joined any random parties from unknown people? If so, they can use something like LANC

I haven't enabled streaming.

I have joined random parties online when playing solo and then have been invited to join a team.

Where are you seeing that you are being "accessed"?

Your Pc is also connected to Xbox Live, if you are being pinged or someone is DDOSing you, it's more likely to be as a result of something going on there.

Have you installed a BitTorrent app on your Xbox by any chance?

I haven't installed Bit Torrent. Messages only accrue when I'm playing games.

Message is:
Multiple threats need attention:
We've blocked access attempts on XBOXONE. Close all unused, open ports to better protect this device. So far, 835 attempts have been blocked. Learn More About This Threat

Details will say "are you or someone you know trying to access your device from Japan/Russia/Ukraine etc". Gives IP address and dates.

As I'm playing, more come through. All come from different IP addresses.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I have joined random parties online when playing solo and then have been invited to join a team.

Message is:
We've blocked access attempts on XBOXONE. Close all unused, open ports to better protect this device. So far, 835 attempts have been blocked. Learn More About This Threat

Details will say "are you or someone you know trying to access your device from Japan/Russia/Ukraine etc". Gives IP address and dates.

ok, so it is your router giving you the messages. Have you got a log from that page you can post or something? This is really strange sounding.

Have you got your Xbox setup in an DMZ for opening ports?

Oct 27, 2017

Message is:

Why does it say XBOXONE and not the ip address?

Are you SURE this is email is from comcast?

Is the router/modem yours or comcast?

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Have you tried logging on to your gamertag on a different Xbox, if it happens after that, then it is somehow linked to your tag. Maybe there is something ON your Xbox or your PC.

This whole thing sounds, wrong to me. There has to be more going on. I look forward to seeing how this works out!

Good luck OP!

Problems originally started on different Xbox's but only recently switched ISP again and upgraded to their service that would give me feedback from their monitoring to discover these alerts. The first Xbox this started on was traded in after I got the X.

Comcast security wasn't able to help and said it was related to Microsoft account so that's where my claims come from in addition to the info I've been able to obtain. Based on what you are all saying, it does appear I'm missing something. Don't know how the attacker got hold of more than my gamertag and then why that person would stop short of doing anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Problems originally started on different Xbox's but only recently switched ISP again and upgraded to their service that would give me feedback from their monitoring to discover these alerts. The first Xbox this started on was traded in after I got the X.

Comcast security wasn't able to help and said it was related to Microsoft account so that's where my claims come from in addition to the info I've been able to obtain. Based on what you are all saying, it does appear I'm missing something. Don't know how the attacker got hold of more than my gamertag and then why that person would stop short of doing anything else.

Do me a favor. Turn off your pc. Log on xbox and see how that runs while it is off.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Well, based on a lot of hits I've seen online, joining random parties is a bad bad bad idea as it's how many people get IPs in the first place through 3rd party apps.

Not saying that's the case here, but it's a common thread. Usually they just DDOS/disconnect you with the IP, but if they're flooding it somehow.. ???

Btw, is there a particular game you play that might be related? Seems to plague a lot of Fortnite players.

EDIT: That error message you gave seems to suggest something involving email?! IP_Reputation concerns emails, which the Xbox doesn't handle. It falls into the soft bounce category as opposed to hard bounce. Any chance you've used the IE browser built into the xbox? That's the only thing I could think of causing it in so far as self-inflicted (naturally eliminating the PC as Powerofthecloud suggested)

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/artic...rence-between-a-hard-bounce-and-a-soft-bounce
https://www.mailgun.com/blog/domain-ip-reputation-gmail-care-more-about

Any chance Comcast can give you a new IP? If you're on a static IP that is.

Thats the opposite of what is happening though. He is sending the traffic. I still am guessing that he is unawaringly DDOSing a target(S) with a installed program on his PC that goes live when he signs on xboxlive.

Good point, sorry for the confusion :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Well, based on a lot of hits I've seen online, joining random parties is a bad bad bad idea as it's how many people get IPs in the first place through 3rd party apps.

Not saying that's the case here, but it's a common thread. Usually they just DDOS/disconnect you with the IP, but if they're flooding it.

Btw, is there a particular game you play that might be related? Seems to plague a lot of Fortnite players.

Thats the opposite of what is happening though. He is sending the traffic. I still am guessing that he is unawaringly DDOSing a target(S) with a installed program on his PC that goes live when he signs on xboxlive.

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why does it say XBOXONE and not the ip address?

Are you SURE this is email is from comcast?

Is the router/modem yours or comcast?

It lists the device description. Not sure why they do that opposed to IP address. That is my X. The S descriptionisn't shown in all capital letters. This router modem belongs to Comcast. The messaging is through an Xfinity app.

The performance issues happened across different router/modem combos but the Comcast one is the only way for Comcast to give me the feedback. They cant tell me anything when using my Netduma. I switched back and forth because Netduma tells gives me millisecond feedback on ping, upload and download while playing. Had to combined the info from the two to determine these attempts were related to spikes and limited upload bandwidth.

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
ok, so it is your router giving you the messages. Have you got a log from that page you can post or something? This is really strange sounding.

Have you got your Xbox setup in an DMZ for opening ports?

I have some logs. Don't know how good or detailed they are. Will try to get them soon.

I did port forwarding. Then when I saw these messages, I closed the ports and they still came in. Right now I only have 3074 open.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forget what Comcast says for a second, has Microsoft ever contacted you saying that someone is trying to access your account? If someone is actually trying to break into your Microsoft account, Comcast would not have any knowledge of this, because the authentication for your account would be done on Microsoft's servers and infrastructure. The error message makes it sound like one or more legitimate services are attempting to access the Xbox during normal gameplay but are being blocked because your router and Comcast have incorrectly identified them as an attack. This would explain the poor performance.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forget what Comcast says for a second, has Microsoft ever contacted you saying that someone is trying to access your account? If someone is actually trying to break into your Microsoft account, Comcast would not have any knowledge of this, because the authentication for your account would be done on Microsoft's servers and infrastructure. The error message makes it sound like one or more legitimate services are attempting to access the Xbox during normal gameplay but are being blocked because your router and Comcast have incorrectly identified them as an attack. This would explain the poor performance.

Someone tried logging into my account from Thailand a few days ago and MS alerted me and had me change my password. I got a text right away.

OP
OP
OneBadMutha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

From China, Russia, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seychelles and a bunch of other territories at the same time? I don't think Microsoft has servers in some of the territories I get messages from. At first I wondered until I saw the list of countries it was coming from at once. No consistency and from different ports. Performance has been similar using other gateways.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From China, Russia, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seychelles and a bunch of other territories at the same time? I don't think Microsoft has servers in some of the territories I get messages from. At first I wondered until I saw the list of countries it was coming from at once. No consistency and from different ports. Performance has been similar using other gateways.

Do these messages appear as soon as you log into Xbox Live, or only after you've begun playing a game with others? Does it ever happen in specific games or when using specific services?

Also, as others have noted, the other possibility here is that something on your PC is sending traffic over your network of some kind that is interfering with the Xbox.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Using a different gamertag doesn't mean you lose out on digital games. As long as it's your Home Xbox you can play anything on there and Xbox Live Gold is shared no matter what gamertag you use.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how this works.
If the issue is that your upload is saturated, something on your network is the problem.

You need to immediately disconnect all devices from your router, do a factory reset on the router, and set it up with new network details so that existing devices will not reconnect to it automatically.
If you have any computers, honestly the best option is probably to ensure that your personal data (photos etc.) is backed up and then completely wipe them.
Failing that, you need to make sure that they are at least running the latest updates (and are running a supported OS like Windows 7-10) and run full anti-virus and anti-malware scans. Windows Defender (at least on 10) can do an "Offline Scan" which I would recommend.

Do you have any cheap "smart devices" on your network?
Those things are often built with terrible security practices and can be easily infected.

Attempted logins are only going to be hitting Microsoft's servers, not your personal network, and are not going to be in such a high volume that it would affect them.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I'm worried about all digital and how that will go down in the future, the far future. I will say I complete more games going all digital but do worry about my library being completely compromised.