• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is primarily intended to be a companion piece to prep for the Essential Platformer voting thread, which will go live in a couple weeks (you can read the announcement thread for it here.)

Part of the reason for the announcement thread is to give people a chance to squeeze in a couple more platformers before putting together a ballot. Many of us have backlogs full of platformers (among other things), but I also though it'd be fun to have a thread where we can recommend some of our favorite, more under-the-radar platformer experiences to those who may not have known they were good games, or even known that they existed in the first place.

I also just enjoy seeing what other platformers are out there in general that I may have overlooked. I'll start with three of my own that I enjoyed quite a bit:

Super Cloudbuilt

7A1BA985EAB60E8F21A227DB38E140C6BB118D22

Super Cloudbuilt is basically the parkour concept of Mirror's Edge except in third-person and with even more of an emphasis on speed and score-attack platforming. It is an amazing, exhilarating game once you get the hang of it and it starts flowing, and to be honest it is sort of how I always imagined 3D Sonic would feel if it had actually focused on high-speed obstacle-based platforming and not...a lot of other stuff as well (though SA2 is a guilty pleasure to be fair).

Octahedron

0RcaBu3.gif

Octahedron was one of the Square Enix Collective indie releases (which I might make another thread about, because in general that group of indies has been pretty damn solid across the board). It is a neon, futuristic platformer that vibes sort of like Super Hexagon except with a LOT of precision platforming in the vein of Celeste and Super Meat Boy. It definitely is a challenge but it is always fair and very well-designed.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

giphy.gif

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is one that I picked up recently (specifically to play before the Essential Platformer voting thread) and I was pretty taken aback by how unique its structure is for a 2D Platformer. Basically, it is structured the same way Breath of the Wild is: you start off with complete access to the final level (the titular Impossible Lair) and can attempt it any time you want. However, it's advised to explore the overworld and find other levels to complete first, as each level you complete will give you one extra hit point while working through the Impossible Lair (when you consider there are more than 40 levels, that sort of tells you everything you need to know about why the final level has that name lol). Mechanically it feels very similar to the modern DKC games (i.e. Returns and Tropical Freeze) and the PC port is also great at high framerates.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are some of your hidden gem platformers, that you'd like people to give a shot before putting their ballots together (or just in general)?

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I recommend Copy Kitty on Steam.

Very fun platformer that plays with a Kirby 64 style of copying abilities and combining them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Crest for the SNES (and on the app on Switch)

Demonscrest_us.jpg

A combination action RPG platformer with a semi-open world (each level has multiple paths to explore with different treasures and bosses at the end) where you play the Red Arremer from Ghosts N' Goblins.

Ristar

hqdefault.jpg

Better than the Genesis Sonic games. 'Nuff said.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Copy Kitty on Steam.

Very fun platformer that plays with a Kirby 64 style of copying abilities and combining them.
I think I have this one wishlisted, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Ristar

hqdefault.jpg

Better than the Genesis Sonic games. 'Nuff said.
Hmm 🤔 yea Ristar is pretty strong come to think of it. I would put it equal with the best Sonic entries on Genesis at least for sure.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Monster Tale:

tumblr_or7028cUnq1roqda3o1_400.gifv
tumblr_or229q2zkX1roqda3o1_r2_400.gifv

It's a DS only Metroidvania that mixes Pokemon-like evolution mechanics of your monster with Megaman X like movement, great melee mechanics, unlockable abilites and fantastic art. Seriously, it's easily one of the best-looking DS games out there. It's not annoying in its use of the touchpad, which is always a plus too.

There was supposed to be a 3DS remake but they just stopped posting updates. If you can get your hands on it, it's a fantastic time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Tale:

tumblr_or7028cUnq1roqda3o1_400.gifv
tumblr_or229q2zkX1roqda3o1_r2_400.gifv

It's a DS only Metroidvania that mixes Pokemon-like evolution mechanics of your monster with Megaman X like movement, great melee mechanics, unlockable abilites and fantastic art. Seriously, it's easily one of the best-looking DS games out there. It's not annoying in its use of the touchpad, which is always a plus too.

There was supposed to be a 3DS remake but they just stopped posting updates. If you can get your hands on it, it's a fantastic time.
Nice, never even heard of this one and it looks cool.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nice, never even heard of this one and it looks cool.
You might also like Henry Hatsworth then, another DS game from the same devs that mixes puzzles with platforming. Haven't played this one myself but it's often recommended when it comes to DS hidden gems:

2008929131513_1.jpg
2008929131513_3.jpg
B001FS8BDE.04.lg.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favorite platformers of all time and I forgot it existed before I just read your post...what in the world.

In hindsight I would've put that in my OP, but at least I'll earmark it for my essential platformer ballot.
You might also like Henry Hatsworth then, another DS game from the same devs that mixes puzzles with platforming. Haven't played this one myself but it's often recommended when it comes to DS hidden gems:

2008929131513_1.jpg
2008929131513_3.jpg
B001FS8BDE.04.lg.jpg
Funnily enough, of the two games this is the one I've already played and enjoyed it a lot, which in and of itself is a good recommendation for Monster Tale if it's by the same devs.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll throw Vectorman into this thread, it was fairly notable in its heyday but has kind of fallen by the wayside into relative obscurity these days.

vectorman-box-art.jpg
Sega_Classic_Diary_4_Vectorman_05large.jpg

It also had a sequel that I enjoyed as well.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
45147.jpg

Locoroco 1 & 2 (PSP/PS4) are collectathons based around tilting the world with the L&R shoulder buttons to tilt the world, which moves your blobby creature. You'll slide along to build momentum, and pressing both buttons gives the world enough of a quake to get your character to jump. You collect more Locorocos, who combine together as you proceed, with certain sections having the singing creatures split back up. The two games are relaxing, adorable, and fun!

Locoroco Midnight Carnival (PSP) is more of a "spinoff": you're introduced a "Boing" mechanic that lets you do continuous super powered jumps. In addition to this the game is structured more like a traditional platformer with the new mechanic, and the game is less relaxing and much more tense and difficult now. Sony in their infinite cruelty did not port this one to PS4, and I think it was digital only?

I think this was one of the best platformer franchises ever and while I don't expect many to vote for them I hope I remind someone to keep it in mind!

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
N++ (N PLUS PLUS) is the best platformer I've ever played. I have over 100 hours in it and I only just beat the core set of levels (there are two whole other level sets).

If you like platformers you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Glad to see Octahedron get a mention. It's insanely good! I was obsessed with it when it initially released.

Puppeteer is criminally underappreciated as well. The characters designs, boss battles, and level design are all really creative.

I'll add a few:

header.jpg

Snake Pass

Platformers have been around for a long time. But you have to be pretty ambitious to design one around a character with no legs and no ability to jump. People have debated whether or not Snake Pass is truly a platformer or more of a puzzle game. To me the answer is it's definitely a platformer. In Mario 64 you have to figure out how to make your character navigate the world with a variety of jumps. The first time you tried it, you probably ran around in circles trying to figure out the new analog stick. Snake Pass feels that same way. It's confusing at first, but once you get a grip - pun intended - on how to maneuver Noodle, it become sublime. Never have the mechanics of a platformer felt so satisfying to master.

header.jpg

Velocity 2X

Velocity 2X is a hybrid, with a predecessor entirely in the SHMUP genre that saw Kai Tana piloting the teleporting Quarp Jet. In 2X, half the time is dedicated to leaving the Quarp Jet, and sidescrolling. There's a bit of platforming, some run-and-gun, and a rhythmic quality to the Kai gameplay that makes it extremely satisfying. There's nothing like hammering out a near perfect run as you hop between segments both in and out of the ship.

vl2r4YWMQmCrsLkD6GcK37tM8_sujZMPsv1WY-Uwl5z8MYN3wVr9IPJG06LnU2dVxuI6gIgIRFyzCnL6b7i9MJdrJQg_C065TgrPEggxi8uTwkqecaKuB8AadloQUQE_vzZcfiHTVTPEwAm1RsKU6rywjRY325qL6dfJQw

140 is probably one of the shortest games I've ever played. Coming from Jeppe Carlsen, who worked on Limbo and Inside at Playdead, it can be finished in around 30-45 minutes. But it's possibly the greatest 30-45 minute period I've ever had in gaming. The minimalist visual style, the music, and the way everything is tied together with rhythm create something really special.

98a9ed18e7ca92d98f98dbef3e2db5c4.png

Sound Shapes

Another rhythm platformer with a minimalist approach, Sound Shapes, merges musicianship with visual artistry via some interesting collaborations. Soundscapes slowly unfold as levels progress. Eventually you find yourself in awe, bobbing your head to the works of Deadmau5, I Am Robot and Proud, and Beck, to name a few.

tearaway-listing-thumb-02-psvita-us

Tearaway

Tearaway has all the charm you'd come to expect from Media Molecule. It's stylish paper craft approach, a folksy woodwind dubstep soundtrack, and integration of the Vita's unique features make this game whimsically wonderful.

header.jpg

Fly'N

Play as four different buds with distinct abilities in this beautiful looking platformer.

header.jpg

INK

The ability to squirt ink and leave a trail is all you have to get through this fast paced, twitch platformer set in a world of complete darkness.

2157630_0.jpg

Membrane

Create your own path in this physics-based puzzle platformer available on the Switch. Shoot small blocks to build platforms, bridges, and other structures to make your way through each trippy looking level.

hqdefault.jpg

Kid Chameleon

Kid Chameleon dials the hat swapping mechanic up to 11. Explore various worlds as you find different masks that grant you unique abilities.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Dustforce is absolutely amazing, and I will defer to matthewmatosis' video on it:

Easily my favorite platformer of all time, and getting the sole Steam achievement for it is one of my proudest gaming accomplishments.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Octahedron get a mention. It's insanely good! I was obsessed with it when it initially released.

Puppeteer is criminally underappreciated as well. The characters designs, boss battles, and level design are all really creative.

I'll add a few:

header.jpg

Snake Pass

Platformers have been around for a long time. But you have to be pretty ambitious to design one around a character with no legs and no ability to jump. People have debated whether or not Snake Pass is truly a platformer or more of a puzzle game. To me the answer is it's definitely a platformer. In Mario 64 you have to figure out how to make your character navigate the world with a variety of jumps. The first time you tried it, you probably ran around in circles trying to figure out the new analog stick. Snake Pass feels that same way. It's confusing at first, but once you get a grip - pun intended - on how to maneuver Noodle, it become sublime. Never have the mechanics of a platformer felt so satisfying to master.
Snake Pass is a game I was worried would be out of people's minds at this point and that I might have to throw a pity vote towards on my own list (that may be harsh to say, it's a legitimately fun game to play), but I'm glad to see people talking about it now.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'll throw Vectorman into this thread, it was fairly notable in its heyday but has kind of fallen by the wayside into relative obscurity these days.

vectorman-box-art.jpg
Sega_Classic_Diary_4_Vectorman_05large.jpg

It also had a sequel that I enjoyed as well.
I remember, as a child of the mid 90s, thinking Vectorman looked so rad. It's not held up. So many of the releases from that era still look good today. Not this one. It's very middle of the road.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guacamelee 2 kind of flew under the radar when it's an improvement over the first in every regard with much tighter and smarter platforming mechanics. It also looks beautiful in 4K.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Metroidvanias are concerned, I'd have to say Shinsekai: Into the Depths isn't get the attention it deserves. It's odd to say that, as it's Capcom developed and published, but I imagine launching first as a mobile game on Apple Arcade doesn't help it's perception by many. It launched on Switch a couple months back, and it's immediately one of my favourite games this year.

I find it to be one of the boldest, freshest Metroidvanias in a long time (and it actually is a "Metroidvania", as it has both exploration and RPG-esque character building). A lot of folks build off Super Metroid or SoTN, or at worst imitate them. But Shinsekai forges it's on path, and experiments with progress and movement in unique ways. It's just such a delight, and despite being a smaller title from Capcom, it still boasts impressive animation, atmosphere, and designs.

I'll quote some examples from a music based thread, as the music in Shinsekai is phenomenal. It's moody, strange, and always wildly appropriate. Great stuff.

Fudo Myo

Oct 30, 2017

2008929131513_1.jpg
2008929131513_3.jpg
B001FS8BDE.04.lg.jpg

OMG, I literally quit this game because it's too addictive. The most addictive game I've ever played and definitely in my top 5 on DS. If you don't mind hours of your life melting away, this game is fantastic. I LOVED Monster Tale, as well, so sad about the 3DS remake.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Shinobi 3 is absolutely a contender, and a game you could complete in an afternoon if you cheat a little bit:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Noita plays like a run and gun meets Spelunky. Probably the most advanced particle system I've seen in 2D

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
The Messenger is absolutely fantastic and has one of my favorite video game OSTs, and it still seems like lots of people haven't tried it. Such a great game, everyone should check it out.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
The arcade version of Nemo by Capcom, lovely short action platformer with great classic Capcom graphics and feel.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
vWfFSRg.png

Knytt / Knytt Stories / Knytt Underground (PC/PC/ PC/PS3/PSV/WII U)

More of a metroidvania but with platforming elements, the first two were free PC releases in the mid 00s. Nifflas develops great games with beautiful aesthetics, and fun level design and good feeling physics. I'm not sure if any of these will end up on my list due to not being entirely plstformy enough for me, but they're great games that deserve recognition and might be missed by others. Knytt Stories was mostly made for user generated content, one of the earlier and easier games of that style IMO. At the time I designed a huge level, wrote music and a story, and had a girlfriend play it. At the end of the story I came in with my guitar and sang my marriage proposal to her lol. Very emotionally resonating game for me obviously.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Having seen a lot of good mentions in here already, I'll throw out a pretty recent one I found: Hayfever. It's a puzzle-platformer that I would put into kind of the "Super Meat Boy-esque, quick, difficult, die-a-lot-retry-real-fast", uh, subgenre? Anyway, it came out on pretty much everything (I played through it on Xbox One) a few months back, and I would recommend it if you're into those sorts of games.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Levelhead is a fun platformer that takes a lot of inspiration from Mario Maker.

It has a campaign with over 90 levels, plus an incredibly flexible and easy to use level editor to make your own. Players can easily share their levels online with a really well done in-game sharing system, that I think works much better than in Mario Maker.

It's on PC, Switch, Xbox One and Mobile. It's even on GamePass for PC/Xbox.

Adam Ant

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far as Metroidvanias are concerned, I'd have to say Shinsekai: Into the Depths isn't get the attention it deserves. It's odd to say that, as it's Capcom developed and published, but I imagine launching first as a mobile game on Apple Arcade doesn't help it's perception by many. It launched on Switch a couple months back, and it's immediately one of my favourite games this year.

I find it to be one of the boldest, freshest Metroidvanias in a long time (and it actually is a "Metroidvania", as it has both exploration and RPG-esque character building). A lot of folks build off Super Metroid or SoTN, or at worst imitate them. But Shinsekai forges it's on path, and experiments with progress and movement in unique ways. It's just such a delight, and despite being a smaller title from Capcom, it still boasts impressive animation, atmosphere, and designs.

I'll quote some examples from a music based thread, as the music in Shinsekai is phenomenal. It's moody, strange, and always wildly appropriate. Great stuff.

Great shoutout!
Shinsekai is destined to be on dozens of hidden-gems lists in years to come. The art design and score are Capcom at their wildly creative best, and the deliberate weight of the Aquanaut's movement underwater makes for some really interesting platforming/combat

Shinsekai will be on my end-of-year list, for sure. I'm not certain what could draw more attention to the game now that it's released, but I'd love to see a physical edition.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Horace absolutely needs to be here. It's a full blown globe trotting adventure, with voice acting, incredible art, a heartfelt story and great platforming. It's ridiculous in scope and quality.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

giphy.gif

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is one that I picked up recently (specifically to play before the Essential Platformer voting thread) and I was pretty taken aback by how unique its structure is for a 2D Platformer. Basically, it is structured the same way Breath of the Wild is: you start off with complete access to the final level (the titular Impossible Lair) and can attempt it any time you want. However, it's advised to explore the overworld and find other levels to complete first, as each level you complete will give you one extra hit point while working through the Impossible Lair (when you consider there are more than 40 levels, that sort of tells you everything you need to know about why the final level has that name lol). Mechanically it feels very similar to the modern DKC games (i.e. Returns and Tropical Freeze) and the PC port is also great at high framerates.
Hell yes. Game is unbelievably good

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017

Just a cheap and fun Mario-like that I highly enjoyed going through, the bosses are samey and bad tho.

A unique 3D platformer that mixes the speed of Sonic with the chill nature of Journey.

Another fun and even cheaper Mario-like, physics are slippery (just like how I like'em) and it's super brutal due to the lack of continues or saves.

This game, I love how this game plays, it just feels great. It takes a little bit of getting used to but it's insanely fun to play. Solid level design, charming setting, and is honestly my second favorite indie 3D platformer. I think it's criminally underrated.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Going to nominate the Mikey series for mobile. Both Mikey shorts, Mikey Hooks and Mikey Boots are fun little speed runner based platformers

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you played Cave Story? It's basically the father of indie game. It's also basically on every single platform

Oct 27, 2017
Super Cloudbuilt

7A1BA985EAB60E8F21A227DB38E140C6BB118D22

Super Cloudbuilt is basically the parkour concept of Mirror's Edge except in third-person and with even more of an emphasis on speed and score-attack platforming. It is an amazing, exhilarating game once you get the hang of it and it starts flowing, and to be honest it is sort of how I always imagined 3D Sonic would feel if it had actually focused on high-speed obstacle-based platforming and not...a lot of other stuff as well (though SA2 is a guilty pleasure to be fair).

Yeah, Super Cloudbuilt is great! I never played the original Cloudbuilt, but one of the devs discusses the differences between the two games here, for those who are curious.

Too bad it apparently wasn't much of a commercial success, for the studio:"Thanks for the help Apnky :) Adding accessibility options, especially game speed options is something that have been on my mind, but it's sadly very unlikely we will be able to add anything new to this game at the moment. The company have sadly gone out of business due to lack of funds. We are just trying to give technical and community support to the game to the best of our abilities."

There's a really neat video where one of the developers (Gafgar, who is also the person quoted above) demonstrates some of the movement mechanics, as well as some of the underlying design philosophy:

[0m50s]...You're in full control of every part of the movement, meaning that you have a lot of freedom, but it also means you have to earn it. In Super Cloudbuilt, one input equals one action. This is an important feature, meaning that there is no automization: everything you see and accomplish is a result of your own skill. So, what does this actually mean?

[1m50s]...What's even more important is the conversion of momentum between actions. If I run up on a wall and jump before I lose all my upward momentum, that momentum will carry over into the jump. Likewise if I ran up on a wall and that momentum fizzles out before I jump, the resulting jump will be a lot lower. This conversion of momentum is true even when chaining multiple interactions, like wall running into a jump, into another wallrun, and so on...

[2m20s]...Take this case for instance. Running at it with perfect angles I can get up here. If I use bad angles it converts my momentum differently, making it hard or impossible to get up. Not only finding the combination of moves but all the timings, angles, and momentum is important if you want to be successful. There's a lot of depth here, but also a lot to learn, as most games don't really work like this...

[4m27s]...Mastering these techniques... is key to becoming a successful and skillful [player]... If you pay attention and practice a bit, they will soon become second nature, and let you move around the maps freely. When you eventually get there, it will feel great looking back and knowing the journey and [the fact that now] everything you do, is your own skill...

Some other remarks by Gafgar:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...gar_from_swedish_indie_dev_coilworks/dkujit9/
Haha! Appreciate it! :D Though, just so you get the right expectations. Unlike those games [Titanfall, Mirror's Edge] we use physics to drive the movement even on walls, so there is a full 360 degree of movement, and no binary distinction between vertical and horizontal runs, and momentum/velocity is respected between moves and is a vital part of how you get around. It might be a bit of a learning process, but gives a lot of depth and many possibilities :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...e_journey_like_behind_a_game_6_years/duanmbw/
1: ...It's been a process of over 6 years, and it's always easier to see things after the fact. One of the biggest takeaways would probably have been to work on the tutorial and introduction of the game much earlier, as that proved to be a very difficult part. Teaching players new mechanics is very tough, especially if they on the surface might remind them of things they think they know from before. It might sound strange, but one of the biggest challenges for us was to teach players how wall running really works, as our wallruns are nothing like all the other games with them. Which brings me neatly on to question number two :D

2: There is actually video we made that explains the unique movement mechanics in the game. It might look interesting in a video, but what makes it really unique and what gives it the incredible depth takes a little more to explain, which we intend to do here: Super Cloudbuilt - Movement Mechanics Demonstration

To put it simple, there are no canned animations and fixed movements, everything is nuanced and actually physics inspired, meaning you have to use and build on momentum and speed. Every move is your own skill, and there are hundreds of ways to clear every challenge. Hope that sounds interesting :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...e_journey_like_behind_a_game_6_years/duah5u1/
...When it comes to new mechanics, things like that usually grow and change a lot as the development proceeded. It's a pretty organic process with a lot of iteration and testing, making it very hard to predict, and making something truly new while making sure it works really well takes a lot of time. In the case of Super Cloudbuilt, we spent a lot of time on technology, but designing the brand new movement mechanics was one of the biggest time sinks. The rocket parkour thing was a brand new thing when we started (actually announced it back in 2012, even before Titan Fall). We released Cloudbuilt in 2014, although happy with how it turned out, we continued to polish on it. When we then got the opportunity to start working on Super Cloudbuilt in 2015 we went back to the drawing board and re built pretty much everything, now with a clear end goal from the start. It took a lot of time to make that mechanic work well, but the end result is a very deep movement system where there is a lot of room for player expression and skill. We did a video covering what makes the movement in Super Cloudbuilt so unique if you are interested. Might help to give insight in the things we had to work on: https://youtu.be/rFxoZi16KC0

Every game is its own journey so we can't say anything definitive and general, but I hope you found that insightful :)

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is considered a hidden gem or not. I don't know how many people remember this/have played this - Outland. This came out on ps3, 360, and Steam. Developed by Housemarque - yes, the same Housemarque that made Nex Machina, Resogun, etc. I consider Outland their best game, by far. It's an action platformer mixed with Ikaruga.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Cave Story and An Untitled Story, you owe it to yourself to play them if for no other reason than that they're free

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
N++ (N PLUS PLUS) is the best platformer I've ever played. I have over 100 hours in it and I only just beat the core set of levels (there are two whole other level sets).

If you like platformers you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

This is what I came in here to rep and of course no one else has replied to you or listed N++ on their own.

This game is cursed with perpetual overlooking.

It's also got a fucking stellar soundtrack.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Rabi-Ribi is one I don't see mentioned too often, probably due to the art style and occasional fan service parts.

Metroidvania-style progression mixed with bullet hell-like bosses. Early on it doesn't seem like there's a story, but midway and near the end it has a surprisingly good one for the genre.

The main fun part of the game is that you can easily sequence break the heck out of the game, with certain achievements requiring this to do so. First time players won't ever realize this, but it makes repeat plays fun as you can do some really fun skips if you know what you are doing.