• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but I feel like Sony is going to allow it but they're gonna wait to add it into the big PS5 announcement event they're no doubt going to do. I'm sure they'll tie it into a big upgrade for PSN going into next gen or something along those lines.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hi-rez is a joke. They just want people to double dip on their games. I was initially excited about the prospect of playing paladins on my pc instead of my xbox but once i realized i had no access to my progression i immediately uninstalled. They can't claim its for any other reason than them wanting you to buy the same shit twice as well because they originally offered account merging, likely until they realized it was cutting into their sales. Now linking accounts is essentially pointless. Additionally they don't tell you crossplay is defaulted on, on consoles (without even telling you it exist) and if you turn it off queues become insane (additionally turning it off requires you find it buried in a long list of settings). Im not against crossplay giving a game more longevity, but Hi-rez just seems like their trying to suck every dime out of their consumers while at the same time being as deceptive/unclear as possible.

I'm hoping this is a joke post...

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi-rez is a joke. They just want people to double dip on their games. I was initially excited about the prospect of playing paladins on my pc instead of my xbox but once i realized i had no access to my progression i immediately uninstalled. They can't claim its for any other reason than them wanting you to buy the same shit twice as well because they originally offered account merging, likely until they realized it was cutting into their sales. Now linking accounts is essentially pointless. Additionally they don't tell you crossplay is defaulted on, on consoles (without even telling you it exist) and if you turn it off queues become insane (additionally turning it off requires you find it buried in a long list of settings). Im not against crossplay giving a game more longevity, but Hi-rez just seems like their trying to suck every dime out of their consumers while at the same time being as deceptive/unclear as possible.

I'm not familiar with how Paladins handles it but I know in the next update Smite is getting cross progression on all platforms except PS4. Surely Paladins has plans to do something similar?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all the issues with account merging have been because the console versions get updated later than the PC versions. It's the same reason Warframe doesn't have cross progression.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's "easy" in that Sony literally doesn't have to do anything but tell them it's ok to do. Games have "accidentally" had console cross play turned on before. Fortnite is doing it right now. They've been doing PC cross play all gen. I can't imagine what ducks they have to get in a row on their side besides to say "We'll allow it".
It literally fucking is. All they have to do is say "yes". Done.
Yes, but isn't it likely that this beta period is precisely for them to do something about it?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. What is there to "beta"? The only dev work going on is from the game devs side and they're all ready to go..
I did not initially suppose that the notion that Sony might be doing something in regards to their network during this beta period of cross play to be that absurd, yet here we are.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is running a cross-play beta for one of the biggest F2P games out there, but of course, they're gonna fast track their process for 2 much smaller instances because they're moaning on social media. That's exactly how business works.

A crossplay beta? Did they do that when they had crossplay on the PS3 as well? That's crazy, did they delete there crossplay tech file from there hard drive when they moved onto PS4 or simething?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
They could atleast give some bullshit response instead of saying nothing. Like 'we can't let too many games go crossplay because of the PSN server hits." or some bullshit like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Number of people still trying to drag Xbox Gold into this discussion amuses me. Number of people assuming that none of these developers at all had already had conversations with Sony regarding this issue and still getting rebuffed amuses me.

Lack of widespread acceptance of Sony crossplay still does not amuse me.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hardware been backwards for a long time. XBOXONE has done backwards even further. so, yes, an userpool reset is possible
Xbox One BC came long after the die was cast and Nintendo is incredibly inconsistent with BC, plus the WiiU was not an appealing platform at all.

If Sony gets it right from the start with price, power, and BC they will carry over a significant userbase and momentum.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crossplay beta is just PR speak isn't it?
of course. they're not doing anything. just like it now works for fortnite, it can work today for any other game that wants it (it's on the dev to work it out, not sony). they just came up with the "bEtA pRoGrAm" to justify their decision to not allow it for all games and treat it on a game by game basis (which they're not even doing that, considering the pace) and sadly some people are actually buying it.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
User Banned (3 Days): System warring and trolling over a series of posts
of course. they're not doing anything. just like it now works for fortnite, it can work today for any other game that wants it (it's on the dev to work it out, not sony). they just came up with the "bEtA pRoGrAm" to justify their decision to not allow it for all games and treat it on a game by game basis (which they're not even doing that, considering the pace) and sadly some people are actually buying it.

Let me ask you one thing.

Let's assume Sony is bullshitting about the "BeTa PrOgRaM". Why aren't we seeing more cross-play titles from Microsoft? Why are those games trickling down at similar pace?

Maybe because Microsoft is also in "BeTa PrOgRaM" and will unveil their plans at GDC? Plans only, mind you. Things that they will do and have invested in, and things that are ready but not ready.

I want Microsoft to take charge and say "CROSS-PLAY READY" on all titles. All. Maybe we can see a difference then?

GRGNt21.png

Why is this list so small? Is Sony to blame? Just curious...

Funny enough, the only devs "raising their concern" are the ones who literally just got confirmation of Switch/Xbox crossplay.

Hmm... Why are the next list of cross-play titles between any dev is coming out in April 2019? Maybe because GDC takes place in March? Food for thought.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Well I mean yes the beta sounds like a farce and just PR, but people say PSN is garbage and held together but duct tape so by that logic maybe they do need a beta lol.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo hardware been backwards for a long time. XBOXONE has done backwards even further. so, yes, an userpool reset is possible
This gen more people bought more games digital than any other gen and if both Xbox and ps4 offer digital purchase backwards capability next gen, not many people is going to leave their games and go into another ecosystem. Espacally early in the gen when games are hard to come by.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm happy that crossplay is happening. The constant reminder by developers who are chasing crossplay for money is silly to me. We all know its about money to them, not the community.
why is devs chasing money a bad thing? specially when it results in a better online experience for the actual audience? no one's saying devs are chasing cross play out of the goodness of their heart.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Let me ask you one thing.

Let's assume Sony is bullshitting about the "BeTa PrOgRaM". Why aren't we seeing more cross-play titles from Microsoft? Why are those games trickling down at similar pace?

Maybe because Microsoft is also in "BeTa PrOgRaM" and will unveil their plans at GDC? Plans only, mind you. Things that they will do and have invested in, and things that are ready but not ready.

I want Microsoft to take charge and say "CROSS-PLAY READY" on all titles. All. Maybe we can see a difference then?

GRGNt21.png

Funny enough, the only devs "raising their concern" are the ones who literally just got confirmation of Switch/Xbox crossplay.

Hmm... Why are the next list of cross-play titles between any dev is coming out in April 2019? Maybe because GDC takes place in March? Food for thought.

1. That's not a complete list.
2. It's up to the developer. Or are you implying that Microsoft and Nintendo are secretly withholding developers to enable crossplay?

Here's a list about crossplay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's obvious you're coming to the discussion from a defensive angle and not a genuine one, so it's not even worth my time to argue with you, but ok. the reason is super obvious. it's not up to MS or nintendo to activate cross play for titles, they've made it so any dev that wants it can implement it. so new cross play titles will come at the pace that devs want. do you hear about any dev complaining how MS or nintendo is blocking their attempts to implement cross play? no
that's because they don't, simple and easy. unlike the situation here where devs are complaining how sony is blocking them.

Their game is losing traction and they sat down with marketing, crunched some numbers and said "CROSSPLAY! TEH NEW FAD! Fortnite must be successful due to crossplay!"
this shit is just sad, smfh.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fuck yeah. Love seeing devs put the pressure on Sony. Hopefully more come out say this.
I'm not gonna lie, I thought someone hacked my account when I saw your avatar before I saw your username.

But yeah, put the pressure on Sony. Hopefully other big companies join in.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
1. That's not a complete list.
2. It's up to the developer. Or are you implying that Microsoft and Nintendo are secretly withholding developers to enable crossplay?

Here's a list about crossplay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
This list has more PS4 titles supporting crossplay titles than XB1 titles. Weird, right?
it's obvious you're coming to the discussion from a defensive angle and not a genuine one, so it's not even worth my time to argue with you, but ok. the reason is super obvious. it's not up to MS or nintendo to activate cross play for titles, they've made it so any dev that wants it can implement it. so new cross play titles will come at the pace that devs want. do you hear about any dev complaining how MS or nintendo is blocking their attempts to implement cross play? no
that's because they don't, simple and easy. unlike the situation here where devs are complaining how sony is blocking them.

this shit is just sad, smfh.
Great. So until crossplay is universal and not just F2P devs looking for more sales (yes, it is indeed sad), we will continue seeing this trickle down effect.

You're right. I'll stop discussing this shit, and let time be the deciding factor.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. So until crossplay is universal and not just F2P devs looking for more sale (yes, it is indeed sad), we will continue seeing this trickle down effect.
glad to have confirmation that you lack basic reading comprehension.

That in itself isn't what's surprising to me. What's surprising is the legions of people ready to stan for them just so they can stay in their walled garden. Brainwashed morons.
harsh but true

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Dev creates ability to cross-play in their game (also cross-progression if they they want to with a single account which has the platform accounts linked to it) ----> dev goes to platform holders to ask if they can implement said cross-play ----> Microsoft says sure as does Nintendo ------> Sony says they will only allow cross play with PC.

Developing multi-console cross play before the Switch came out was pointless for developers (as there wouldn't have been xbox/PS4 cross play) hence why many are only starting to introduce it when a game also comes out on the Switch.

Developing cross play has nothing to do with the platform holders, they literally just say yes or no. That's why Sony saying it's a "beta" is disingeneous at best

It's really not that difficult to understand...

This list has more PS4 titles supporting crossplay titles than XB1 titles. Weird, right?

Which shows that they can do it and don't need a beta yet they don't. BTW most of those on that list are cross play with either PC or Vita/PS3. Stop trolling.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much zero reason consumers should be against cross play. Doesn't even matter how interested you are - facts are it improves multiplayer games. Probably deserves it's own thread and own discussion seeing as many on here still go with the ''nobody really cares about cross play'' excuse.

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. Maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

For anyone following along, that much has been obvious.
Pretty much zero reason consumers should be against cross play. Doesn't even matter how interested you are - facts are it improves multiplayer games. Probably deserves it's own thread and own discussion seeing as many on here still go with the ''nobody really cares about cross play'' excuse.

That tweet is beautiful.

"40% reduction in ELO std deviation per match"
"Wait time reduced 30%"

One. More. Time

"40% reduction in ELO std deviation per match"
"Wait time reduced 30%"

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is running a cross-play beta for one of the biggest F2P games out there, but of course, they're gonna fast track their process for 2 much smaller instances because they're moaning on social media. That's exactly how business works.
that's not how business works, but it is how marketing PR bullshit works since it seems to have worked on you at least. there's no "beta". what do you think they're doing, fine tuning the subtleties of cross play to offer the absolute best cross play experience to ps4 players? that's not their job, so they're not doing anything. it's up to the devs to figure things out with cross play between different platforms, not sony. they just decided to come up with that term to be able to get away with only offering it for fortnite (and later, rocket league).

good to see numbers and confirmation for a big cross play title

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019

That's the strongest argument I think i've seen for crossplay, def a win/win.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

That tweet is glorious, real facts behind it from them.

It's worth it's own thread!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just what is Sony's problem? The Sony from the beginning of the PS4 generation would have handled this differently.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

Crossplay sounds more and more like something that would be great #4theplayers

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
This gen more people bought more games digital than any other gen and if both Xbox and ps4 offer digital purchase backwards capability next gen, not many people is going to leave their games and go into another ecosystem. Espacally early in the gen when games are hard to come by.
you are not wrong on that premise, but also is not like digital was the dominating trend, so not everyone falls under that category.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

Yup, crossplay should be something that's completely supported and something that becomes a standard going forward. It benefits both the developer and everyone that plays the game. The effect is also much more far reaching on games that don't have massive player populations.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
This notion that next Gen crossplay will be everywhere is still uncertain to me. Until the bigger developers have it in their games which I have no proof that they will, this is pure wishful thinking

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
That's the strongest argument I think i've seen for crossplay, def a win/win.
It's been the argument from the beginning. Not allowing it is literally forcing all developers to have worse games across the board than the ones you do allow it for. It makes no sense for Sony to give a competitive advantage to the biggest game on consoles.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's been the argument from the beginning. Not allowing it is literally forcing all developers to have worse games across the board than the ones you do allow it for.
Well yes, but in context I mean that's the best factual stats/thing i've seen to get people to see the value in it, if they never before. You know what I mean?

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
This notion that next Gen crossplay will be everywhere is still uncertain to me. Until the bigger developers have it in their games which I have no proof that they will, this is pure wishful thinking
Yep people only talk about it when it comes to f2p games etc but what about AAA games like Madden, FIFA , COD, Destiny, NBA2k etc all those games sold millions and focus on multiplayer yet no one advocating cross play when they come out.

Shit wonder why apex, division or anthem isn't even cross play with PC players. These dev and publisher don't care. only when it benefits them they want to act,

Would be nice if Sony opens up crossplay for all games then Will see what's the excuse for these publisher not to include it on all their multiplayer games

Another thing that would be nice is cross progression but these publisher won't allow it cause they want you to double dip and buy the same shit inside their games if you switch platform. Plus I doubt Sony or Microsoft would even want that cause they be losing money on the MTX if people only bought it on one platform but can use it only multiple platform

Last edited: